Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 15/16

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Looks like Stewart has played his way into the first team squad. delighted. He looks a real player. I still think Ojo is the guy who could be special but its good to have two players coming through who look to be both technically and more importantly physically up to the challenge of making the step up. Its hard for the likes of Tex to break in at a younger age when they prob aren't strong enough to handle it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,491 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Origi_5.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Looks like Stewart has played his way into the first team squad. delighted. He looks a real player. I still think Ojo is the guy who could be special but its good to have two players coming through who look to be both technically and more importantly physically up to the challenge of making the step up. Its hard for the likes of Tex to break in at a younger age when they prob aren't strong enough to handle it.

Stewart definitely looks decent. And it's good to have another option in those positions - tbh I didn't expect him to make the grade at all. I thought time was against him and eventually we'd come up against him in the FA Cup at Colchester or something!!

Ojo looks the business. But he's very young so I won't be expecting big things for a few years yet. It wouldn't surprise me if he is loaned out again over the next year or two, though Klopp seems to prefer keeping players at the club.

Tex turned 23 last month. He's actually older than Suso which is a surprise. (to me anyway) I just can't see it happening for him. He looks capable but it just doesn't seem to be happening for him. The players ahead of him are too good and he seems further down the pecking order than someone like Ibe, who offers something a bit different.

As for the rest of the young lads, I'd reckon Brannagan will be around the squad for a few more seasons at least. No idea if he'll make the step up to the first team regularly, but he's a good option as it stands. Chirivella could be good too.

I want to see more of Ryan Kent too. He looked very good out on loan so hopefully he might get another few games later this season or next season.

And, of course, next season we will have Joe Gomez back in the squad.

It's nice to be able to see a handful of players making the step up instead of buying in our back up players. Betwen Ward, Flanagan, Smith, Gomez, Brannagan, Stewart, Chirivella, Ojo and Kent, there are some talented players there to call upon in the case of injuries or suspensions, while they develop. That hasn't happened for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Having followed Klopp from day one in Dortmund I would expect the following next year:

Ward: will be Number 2 next year and may play in cup to get experience.
    Flanagan: will be around the first team next year, but will have to prove himself and take a step up. Will be given time to get back to where he was and will most likely be a squad player like Durm at Dortmund.
    Smith: As Flanagan, but maybe a step closer to a start.
    Gomez: Will have to prove himself and find his position....in the middle or as a wing back.
    Brannagan: Cup games and back up....
    Stewart: Pushing for a place in the first team....
    Chirivella: Needs time..will be given one or 2 years
    Ojo: Will be given 1 or 2 years more....maybe a loan to a German club....Mainz maybe.
    Kent: As Ojo, maybe a loan deal to a first division club.

What we shouldnt forget is that Klopp has a habit of putting players in new positions and getting more out of them. Durm was a striker/winger...became a full back, Piszczek was a striker or left sided midfielder..also stepped back.

Having followed Klopp from day one in Dortmund I would expect the following next year:

Ward: will be Number 2 next year and may play in cup to get experience.
    Flanagan: will be around the first team next year, but will have to prove himself and take a step up. Will be given time to get back to where he was and will most likely be a squad player like Durm at Dortmund.
    Smith: As Flanagan, but maybe a step closer to a start.
    Gomez: Will have to prove himself and find his position....in the middle or as a wing back.
    Brannagan: Cup games and back up....
    Stewart: Pushing for a place in the first team....
    Chirivella: Needs time..will be given one or 2 years
    Ojo: Will be given 1 or 2 years more....maybe a loan to a German club....Mainz maybe.
    Kent: As Ojo, maybe a loan deal to a first division club.

What we shouldnt forget is that Klopp has a habit of putting players in new positions and getting more out of them. Durm was a striker/winger...became a full back, Piszczek was a striker or left sided midfielder..also stepped back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Origi_5.jpg

I commented on this during the game, thought it was a bit weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Having an option in behind makes all the difference.

If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times. Football, especially the modern game, is simple really. If you've pace in your team to stretch the game, you'll be infinitely more potent than if you don't.

You have to be able to stretch teams. We've not been able to in weeks.

Sturridge wasn't great today. Even Origi was merely ok. But they've the pace to threaten in behind, so the game opens up behind them for Firmino, Coutinho etc.

You can write all the football tactical analysis you want. You can have the insight of Pep and the psychology of Ferguson in how you think about football. I don't care.

Pace in the right areas is by far the most important component.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Suarez killing it tonight in Barcelona. Another hat trick. His 3rd is off the scale. Find it on youtube/twitter/vine and have a good tug at yourself. Sublime

Edit: Found it

https://twitter.com/RedsOrDead/status/698977397744472065

flanzer wrote: »
    Suarez killing it tonight in Barcelona. ......... His 3rd is off the scale...........

Messi showing there is great comradery there, not like the Ronaldo Bale relationship.

Ward: will be Number 2 next year and may play in cup to get experience.........

Mig sold so you reckon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Watched it live and couldnt believe it,front 3 of the gods,neymar,messi,luis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Brilliant. Does that count as a penalty miss by Messi then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Augeo wrote: »
    Mig sold so you reckon?

Hopefully. He's a disaster.

fyfe79 wrote: »
    Brilliant. Does that count as a penalty miss by Messi then?

Yup, on Livescore.com it does anyway :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Origi_5.jpg

Cue Origi never running to the crowd again

Hopefully. He's a disaster.

Indeed, no point keeping him as #2 either. North of £6m might be got for him presumably.

Watched it live and couldnt believe it,front 3 of the gods,neymar,messi,luis

And now we have our own
    Coutinho Sturridge & Firmino
    Similar in kind if not ability
    But the potential to grow
    They'll rain goals and flourish
    All they need is time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 421 ✭✭e.r

corwill wrote: »
    True, and given Bob's health problems a few years later, probably for the best for all concerned.

But that's with the benefit of hindsight. Hard to comprehend the mentality required to pass over a triple-European-Cup-winning legend for the guy who was hounded out of St. James' Park for nearly relegating the Mags.

OK, not being entirely fair, Jack took Wednesday up from 3rd division to 2nd division, and won the 2nd division with Boro. But still...

I only heard recently that Bob was overlooked for the job!!!!
    I would have loved him to get it, we would've won italia 90 :)

Mig sold so you reckon?

He will stick with Mig for another season at least, put a settled secure center back pairing infront of him and build up his confidence. Did the same at BVB with Weidenfelder.

I personally think a bigger problem in the team is another.....the change from attack to defending or visa versa for Klopps team isnt fast enough. The defenders are getting left exposed too much by the midfielders. Kehl sat infront of the back 4 in Dortmund, slipped back into the hole when the wing backs went forward with the center halfs going a few meters right and left to cover the space, Sahin/Gundogan linked play and got forward. Henderson, Can or Milner are not fast enough for get back to do this nor is it their natural style of play. This maybe Stewarts chance....sit back break play up and allow Can or probably Henderson link play from the middle. Could be the reason that Lucas is being played at center half when possible at the moment....let him see the game from another perspective and senibilize him to what they expect from him next season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Everyone seems to be talking about the barca game tonight, i feel i need to watch it myself, what are my options?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

39 goals by mid February.

Christ Suarez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Everyone seems to be talking about the barca game tonight, i feel i need to watch it myself, what are my options?

https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/45t0tj/post_match_thread_fc_barcelona_6_1_celta_vigo/

That'll have all the highlights.

Just make sure to mute it.

Otherwise you'll have an occurrence of Ray Hudson in your life and you don't want that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

noodler wrote: »

Christ Suarez.

And 15 assists.

2 tonight and he won Messi's free kick as well.

Best striker of his generation.

He will stick with Mig for another season at least, ....................... Henderson, Can or Milner are not fast enough for get back to do this nor is it their natural style of play. This maybe Stewarts chance....sit back break play up and allow Can or probably Henderson link play from the middle. Could be the reason that Lucas is being played at center half when possible at the moment....let him see the game from another perspective and senibilize him to what they expect from him next season.

I sincerely hope we don't see Mignolet or Lucas in the first 11 too often next season, Lucas is ok when needed (won't be getting any better) but I really hope Mignolet is sold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

Today just showed how different Couthino plays when he has players ahead of him that make runs, he did not take one wild shot from outside the box. His first thought is to play in a teammate.

• Advertisement

Scary thing about Suarez is he only peaking he will be in his peak for next 3-4 seasons.
    Even at 32 I would give him a 5 year contract to return to Liverpool. He is the type to play well into his late 30's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Gbear wrote: »
    And 15 assists.

STILL not good enough to get in the United team... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

noodler wrote: »

Christ Suarez.

I miss Luis - https://streamable.com/5acd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

e.r wrote: »
    I only heard recently that Bob was overlooked for the job!!!!
    I would have loved him to get it, we would've won italia 90 :)

There was some quality in that team only to to have them playing hoofball tactics.

With Bob in charge, that could have been an outstanding team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

Apologies if this breaks some rules but this is absolute sex - https://streamable.com/62m2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Gonna be honest. I ****ing hate when people talk about how well Suarez is doing at Barca.

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

And 15 assists.

Wouldn't get into the United team though.

Gonna be honest. I ****ing hate when people talk about how well Suarez is doing at Barca.

I'm delighted for him, the main man role at Liverpool was something he clearly struggled with, he's far better off at Barcelona (ignoring financially).

He's the model pro there and enjoying himself thoroughly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

STILL not good enough to get in the United team... :pac:

Beat me to it....by nearly 20 mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/45t0tj/post_match_thread_fc_barcelona_6_1_celta_vigo/

That'll have all the highlights.

Just make sure to mute it.

Otherwise you'll have an occurrence of Ray Hudson in your life and you don't want that.

There's a dedicated sub for football highlights too.

https://www.reddit.com/r/footballhighlights

This Barca team is so much fun to watch, unlike the team under Pep (in my opinion anyway). I don't see how anyone beats them, really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

:(

Look forward to his return to Liverpool for the 2019/20 season.

For Messi to give up a certain goal for Suarez speaks volumes of the man and their relationship. While at Real Madrid Ronaldo has a hissy fit if Bales doesn't pass to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭klose

Fcuk sake the one time i actually want to watch match of the day and its on at half fcuking 11!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,276 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

For Messi to give up a certain goal for Suarez speaks volumes of the man and their relationship. While at Real Madrid Ronaldo has a hissy fit if Bales doesn't pass to him.

Correct, different class of player and personality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

klose wrote: »
    Fcuk sake the one time i actually want to watch match of the day and its on at half fcuking 11!!

It'll be on that football highlights sub I posted above, tomorrow.

Here again for the lazy: https://www.reddit.com/r/footballhighlights

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Was just on in Setanta. Some very good goals great to see the dance again (any reports on him injured again). Sturridge can help Benteke on where to be in the box and Origi can help with 1 on 1 chances. BUT Villa was shocking for Clyne to have the time to get up and jog over to the ball for another shot is embarrasing for them

Most goals scored in a La Liga season is 50 I think.
    Messi
    He's on track, should come close to making history
    28 short.. a lot to ask of most but not him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Was on at 10 on BBC 2 HD

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

I'm delighted for him, the main man role at Liverpool was something he clearly struggled with, he's far better off at Barcelona (ignoring financially).

He's the model pro there and enjoying himself thoroughly.

Ah I'm not saying I'm not happy for the guy. Just wish he was still a Liverpool player.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Just thinking I wouldn't be surprised if sterling finds himself getting very limited gametime at city next year.De bruyne and silva are a level above him and you would imagine pep will sign atleast 1 attacking player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Was Luis in a 6 goal win at Liverpool? Nope cos he missed

Newcastle United 0 - 6 Liverpool

I bet he was still here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

never knew the Liverpool & Barca superthreads got merged :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Bobby Firmino 5 goals and 3 assists in 2016. On fire!

His stats for the 7.5 games or so he played CF or pretty damn good for a secondary striker type. Goals and assists obviously but also excellent tackling and pressing stats for a forward, near Suarez levels of work rate.

To not go overboard with the Suarez comparisons he's much better at filling in as a striker than Sterling was.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Was on at 10 on BBC 2 HD

I think it's just super the way BBC NI delay the likes of MotD for fear you'd miss out on some locally produced bucket of monkey excrement.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement