Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 15/16

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

corwill wrote: »
    I think it's just super the way BBC NI delay the likes of MotD for fear you'd miss out on some locally produced bucket of monkey excrement.

Just tune in BBC England. Works a treat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

I didn't celebrate Danny's goal earlier. He's been out so long, I automatically assumed his goal would be invalid also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Was Luis in a 6 goal win at Liverpool? Nope cos he missed

Newcastle United 0 - 6 Liverpool

I bet he was still here!

I was at that game, I recall being worried about Luis absence but not for very long. That day it was the coutinho, sturridge, gerrard show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Is anyone else just sitting here waiting for a twitter leak that Sturridges leg fell off on the bus home or something..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭klose

The matip deal is expected to be announced later on today if Twitter is anything to go by.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

klose wrote: »
    The matip deal is expected to be announced later on today if Twitter is anything to go by.

Well, Schalke are due to confirm that he is leaving but the reports I saw said Liverpool were just one of several sides to have contacted.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

For Messi to give up a certain goal for Suarez speaks volumes of the man and their relationship. While at Real Madrid Ronaldo has a hissy fit if Bales doesn't pass to him.

Reports today suggest the Messi penalty was meant for Neymar but Luis being Luis couldn't give up an empty goal

Could be rubbish but article on Balls.ie for reference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Since sturridge has signed he has started 21 league games without suarez. 10 games when suarez was suspended and 11 games since he was sold. In those 21 games sturridge has 15 goals and Liverpool have 44 pts. Sturridge or a striker of a similar level and the team is good enough for top 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Paul joyce of the echo basically confirmed it this morning that hes coming to lfc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Seems like a bit of opportunism that'll just allow us to focus our attentions elsewhere.

I'd imagine that he'll mostly just be another body to replace Kolo and he won't be much if any improvement on our current options.

If we're looking to really improve defence it's all about replacing Mignolet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Yeah he's signed a pre contract apparently.

Gbear wrote: »
    Seems like a bit of opportunism that'll just allow us to focus our attentions elsewhere.

I'd imagine that he'll mostly just be another body to replace Kolo and he won't be much if any improvement on our current options.

If we're looking to really improve defence it's all about replacing Mignolet.

I didnt see much of Matip at Schalke, but from what I did see he was quite good.

I think he'll be Skrtel's replacement, as Lovren seems to be having a renaissance of sorts under Klopp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Vicxas wrote: »
    I didnt see much of Matip at Schalke, but from what I did see he was quite good.

I think he'll be Skrtel's replacement, as Lovren seems to be having a renaissance of sorts under Klopp.

What renaiissance is that?

Just because he has been picked does not make him good enough. It's Toure who's being replaced not Skrtel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I don't see Matip joining us to be fourth choice CB, to be honest. He's better than that, and he is only 24.

He likely has a choice of teams to join, so if he's coming here, he's coming to play. At the very least I see him being regarded as the 3rd, rotational CB starting off, and pushing on from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Matip is probably instantly our best cb unless Sakho rediscovers his best form. A great athlete and a guy who's good in the air. Great signing on a free.

Knex. wrote: »
    I don't see Matip joining us to be fourth choice CB, to be honest. He's better than that, and he is only 24.

He likely has a choice of teams to join, so if he's coming here, he's coming to play. At the very least I see him being regarded as the 3rd, rotational CB starting off, and pushing on from there.

I have no idea how good he is but I'm sure he's being brought in to provide competition and I would think that any of our CB's are under threat, but regarding making up the numbers it's Toure who he'll be directly replacing.

murpho999 wrote: »
    What renaiissance is that?

Just because he has been picked does not make him good enough. It's Toure who's being replaced not Skrtel.

Isn't he a good painter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Not seen Matip much at all. But on Who Scored last 2 seasons he has been in the team of the season in the Bundesliga. Hector is also the highest rated LB someone we have also been linked to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Kolo Toure off to China it seems. As expected his contract will not be renewed.

Kolo has started 10 games this season - 6 wins, 4 draws.

• Advertisement

..and 1 goal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Ah jaysus :( Give him another year, still our best CB imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭klose

He's done well under klopp but I think it's best be moves on, that and he would get a boatload of cash in China. Ideally he would stick around he academy coaching perhaps but can't begrudge him a big money move to China.

Assuming matip does sign on a free and toure goes that leaves matip, sakho lovren and skrtel as our centre backs, I'm
    not including ilori as I can't see him breaking through now. A bit of a curve ball but Lucas moving back into a full time centre back could be also an option.
    I am really hoping skrtel gets moved on in the summer also, I'm just bored of watching him here at this stage.

I think one of Ilori/Gomez will come in for Kolo - I reckon Matip is going to replace Skrtel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I think one of Ilori/Gomez will come in for Kolo - I reckon Matip is going to replace Skrtel.

I'm thinking both because Gomez covers both full back positions as well so likely won't be short on games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Happy enough with that to be honest.

Like someone said earlier he's featured in the German Team of the Year last year and on a free there is very little risk.

I think now would be a good time to move Skittles on(as hard as it is for me to say because I really like him as a player) as we would get a few million for him but if Kolo leaves then we might be a little light at CB with only Matip, Lovern and Shako the senior guys there.

The U21s were playing at lunchtime Sunday against Brighton and Hove Albion in the U21s League Cup Quarter Final

Bogdán; Randall, Ilori, Maguire, Enrique; Chirivella, Virtue; Ojo, Brannagan, Kent; Lennon

Firth, McLaughlin, Hart, O'Hanlon, Sinclair

The game ended 4-3 to Liverpool - goals from Enrique, McLaughlin and a brace from Sinclair

Not sure if the draw has been made for the semi-finals yet.

we should should probably loan Ojo & Kent again. Not going to feature for first team most likely. I agree with Klopp that ideally you would like to keep them but the u21 keague is too uncompetitive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

The U21s were playing at lunchtime Sunday against Brighton and Hove Albion in the U21s League Cup Quarter Final

Bogdán; Randall, Ilori, Maguire, Enrique; Chirivella, Virtue; Ojo, Brannagan, Kent; Lennon

Firth, McLaughlin, Hart, O'Hanlon, Sinclair

The game ended 4-3 to Liverpool - goals from Enrique, McLaughlin and a brace from Sinclair

Not sure if the draw has been made for the semi-finals yet.
    Sinclair apparently came off the bench late and change the game for us. What a shame that Aidy Ward got his claws into him. It would not surprise me at all if he had Sinclair refuse to sign a contract with us out of spite.

Sinclair apparently came off the bench late and change the game for us. What a shame that Aidy Ward got his claws into him. It would not surprise me at all if he had Sinclair refuse to sign a contract with us out of spite.
    not too worried. Plenty of players score goals at youth level. I don't think Sinclair is going to be good enough to make Liverpool's 1st team.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

kfallon wrote: »
    Ah jaysus :( Give him another year, still our best CB imo

Yep. Been our most solid centre back in all the games he's played. Loved the fact he was just booting the ball out of play yesterday, not taking any chances with agbonlahor breathing down his neck. Old skool defending. Great to see him score too. The guy's been excellent for us. Would like to see him stick around for another year as back-up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

how pathetic are those ex managers complaining about the messi/suarez peno last ngt, disrespectful me hole,see 25 mins of amazing football and whinge.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

He started the game against Utd which ruined his stat. He had 10 starts before that so you'd need to check your numbers I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

x43r0 wrote: »

Love the response he got from Villa as well before the game

https://twitter.com/AVFCOfficial/status/698791531872980992

I'm sure Steve will remember yesterday

• Advertisement

Done dealio:

http://www.football365.com/news/liverpool-expected-to-announce-defender-signing
    Schalke defender Joel Matip will join Liverpool at the end of the season, the German club have announced.

Matip was a target for Jurgen Klopp in January and reports suggested a deal had been lined up, but Schalke were unwilling to let him go until his contract expired.

The 24-year-old, who is a product of the Bochum academy, has come through the ranks at Schalke and can play as a central defender and full-back as well as in midfield.

He made his professional debut aged 18 for Schalke’s second team and made his first-team debut a month later in November 2009 when he grabbed headlines by scoring an equaliser against Bayern Munich.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,086 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Happy enough with that to be honest.

Like someone said earlier he's featured in the German Team of the Year last year and on a free there is very little risk.

I think now would be a good time to move Skittles on(as hard as it is for me to say because I really like him as a player) as we would get a few million for him but if Kolo leaves then we might be a little light at CB with only Matip, Lovern and Shako the senior guys there.

I haven't seen Matip play much, is he the leader type? If so I would hang onto Skrtel, I reckon he still has a couple of years as solid back up to a domineering CB.

Quite happy with that news, being honest.

• Advertisement

Knex. wrote: »
    Quite happy with that news, being honest.

Have people seen him play?

Any good, we need a consistent and confident defender with good leadership and communication skills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Any good, we need a consistent and confident defender with good leadership and communication skills.
    Some blurb from the clubs website. !0 interesting facts about Joel Matip.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/207339-10-interesting-facts-about-reds-signing-joel-matip

He was fairly shocking this weekend, actually :pac:

I haven't followed much Bundesliga over the last two years, but he's been a first choice CB for Schalke for a few years now, and he's only 24.

180+ games as a CB by that age is fairly impressive in its own right, although his first year or two in the team, 18-20 or so, he played more as a DM, I think.

Don't think there's much doubt that this is a Klopp signing, and its someone he'd have to know very well. Getting him in as a free, and considering he has already got good league experience, CL experience, and international experience, you're gonna get good value. At the worst, we can sell him in two years for 10m.

I may be blindly optimistic here, but I expect him to at least be not shit for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭john why

6-0 still can't believe it, what a time to be alive

LOAN WATCH

Lloyd Jones (Blackpool) injured
    Vigouroux, Williams, (Swindon Town) Vig full game in 1-4 victory, Williams injured
    Wisdom (Norwich) no game this weekend
    Markovic (Fenerbache) injured again
    Samed Yesil (Lucerne) unused sub
    Taiwo (FSV Frankfurt) unused sub
    Sergi Canos (Brentford) Played first half of 0-4 thrashing defeat
    Balotelli (Milan) played last 5 mins as sub
    Alberto (Deportivo) played 80 mins in 2-2 draw
    Guijic ( Red Star Belgrade) winter break
    Fulton (Portsmouth) played full game in 3-1 win
    Allan (Sint-Truidense) played 65 mins in 0-3 defeat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

john why wrote: »
    6-0 still can't believe it, what a time to be alive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

I haven't seen Matip play, so I watched one of those youtube videos that make every player look good. He didn't look that good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,298 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Zak Flaps wrote: »
    I haven't seen Matip play, so I watched one of those youtube videos that make every player look good. He didn't look that good.

Centre backs rarely do in youtube videos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

LOAN WATCH

Lloyd Jones (Blackpool) injured
    Vigouroux, Williams, (Swindon Town) Vig full game in 1-4 victory, Williams injured
    Wisdom (Norwich) no game this weekend
    Markovic (Fenerbache) injured again
    Samed Yesil (Lucerne) unused sub
    Taiwo (FSV Frankfurt) unused sub
    Sergi Canos (Brentford) Played first half of 0-4 thrashing defeat
    Balotelli (Milan) played last 5 mins as sub
    Alberto (Deportivo) played 80 mins in 2-2 draw
    Guijic ( Red Star Belgrade) winter break
    Fulton (Portsmouth) played full game in 3-1 win
    Allan (Sint-Truidense) played 65 mins in 0-3 defeat

Man these posts are far less inspiring since we called back all the players who stood a chance of getting into the first team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I watched Kickboxer on YouTube. It didn't look that good despite me knowing it's great, so I wouldn't put much weight on a YouTube clip.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement