Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 15/16

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Zak Flaps wrote: »
    I haven't seen Matip play, so I watched one of those youtube videos that make every player look good. He didn't look that good.

'Twas probably the music to be honest. Usually 'Cotton Eyed Joe' or some sort similar of inappropriate Eurodisco nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Blasts from the past Aquilani and Coates are playing for Sporting Lisbon who are leading the Portuguese league by 3 points atm.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Very happy with Matip. Tall, quick, decent forward passer and good in the air. Steps up agressively and plenty of solid experience.

Speaks French and English. I see Matip and Sakho providing a really solid defence for us with good mobility and a direct threat from the backline.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

I predict that won't be the last CB signing we make.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

What's the odds Matip does his hamstring in either his last game for Schalke or his first training session for us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

K-9 wrote: »
    Blasts from the past Aquilani and Coates are playing for Sporting Lisbon who are leading the Portuguese league by 3 points atm.

Aquilani something of a revelation in that league given his permanent confinement to wheelchair nowadays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Happy with matip but i think the real problem with the defence is of course the goalkeeper behind them. Get a confident and commanding goalkeeper who takes no **** and it will drastically transform our defence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

ricero wrote: »
    Happy with matip but i think the real problem with the defence is of course the goalkeeper behind them. Get a confident and commanding goalkeeper who takes no **** and it will drastically transform our defence

So Mignolet is to blame for individual errors, bad judgment etc. ..come on, a top GK would improve us but if we are being critical and honest..4 of the 5 could go

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

mosstin wrote: »
    Aquilani something of a revelation in that league given his permanent confinement to wheelchair nowadays.

I've adopted Sporting as my Portuguese team of late so have been following them and watch them a little bit now and then.

The subplot of the season is fascinating, with the manager who was a massive success at Benfica, Jorge Jesus, deciding to join their fierce local rivals Sporting and now suddenly bring them from perennial 3rd-placers to league leaders. Seems to be a top coach and I wonder if he will get a chance at one of Europe's top clubs.

Aquilani doesn't actually get his game for them from what I can tell. He never really lived up to his potential. He did a horrible dive in the last match which got him booked. He hasn't looked like much of a player any time I've seen him play.

Coates has only just joined, played his first match the other day. Neither player has been in any way important to their title charge

I imagine there will be some Premier League teams sniffing around for Islam Slimani who has been banging them in this season

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

T-K-O wrote: »

So Mignolet is to blame for individual errors, bad judgment etc. ..come on, a top GK would improve us but if we are being critical and honest..4 of the 5 could go

Id keep sakho and clyne in my back four for next season. Also keep lovren and moreno as squad players. A dominant keeper can transform a defence just look at arsenal since cech has come in this season. Matip is a step in the right direction. Now horn or ter stegan would be a great signing for goalkeeper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I take Horn over ter Stegan as he has a brain fart in him from time to time but either would be a level above what we have now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

I take Horn...

tumblr_miserrQJGn1rqnjuuo1_r1_250.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Looking for Illori to see some more game time also. Strikes me as a similar player to Matip so perhaps they can be like for like replacements for each other.

Skrtel covering Sakho.

Lovren in the corner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Matip is in the Bundesliga team of the season so far.

But so is the Augsburg keeper

CbRdZyqXIAAnfUZ.jpg
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CbRdZyqXIAAnfUZ.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

mosstin wrote: »

He must be on a "pay-per-play" contract. He was a waste of the nickname "Aquaman", never mind the transfer fee & wages..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Morzadec wrote: »
    I've adopted Sporting as my Portuguese team of late so have been following them and watch them a little bit now and then.

The subplot of the season is fascinating, with the manager who was a massive success at Benfica, Jorge Jesus, deciding to join their fierce local rivals Sporting and now suddenly bring them from perennial 3rd-placers to league leaders. Seems to be a top coach and I wonder if he will get a chance at one of Europe's top clubs.

Aquilani doesn't actually get his game for them from what I can tell. He never really lived up to his potential. He did a horrible dive in the last match which got him booked. He hasn't looked like much of a player any time I've seen him play.

Coates has only just joined, played his first match the other day. Neither player has been in any way important to their title charge

I imagine there will be some Premier League teams sniffing around for Islam Slimani who has been banging them in this season

Silmani and Jonas will both gets moves away I would imagine, absolutely on a tear this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,298 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Sell Sturridge some people said? For what £20m, he proves his fitness and we look like mugs. Paying him 150k a week to spend most his time on the sidelines is worth it to keep him out of the hands of our rivals.

Aguero is the only striker in the league I would take ahead of a fit Daniel.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

rob316 wrote: »
    Sell Sturridge some people said? For what £20m, he proves his fitness and we look like mugs. Paying him 150k a week to spend most his time on the sidelines is worth it to keep him out of the hands of our rivals.

Aguero is the only striker in the league I would take ahead of a fit Daniel.

Well that's just a silly statement. If he is on the sidelines then he is not in the hands of our rivals is he? If we could be guaranteed 25 league starts from him in a season he is a fantastic player. Hopefully the last 18 months are the worst of it from an injury point of view with him, but that very much remains to be seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Sturridge is totally unreliable unfortunately......if he cant stay injury free for the rest of the season there may be no hope at all for him......just what we need but too fragile...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

garra wrote: »
    He must be on a "pay-per-play" contract. He was a waste of the nickname "Aquaman", never mind the transfer fee & wages..

But Aquaman is a joke, so it's fairly fitting.

• Advertisement

Interesting stuff here. Liverpool Echo found a tribute book they gave to Bob Paisley after he retired and it's in this article.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/life-unearthed-tribute-liverpools-greatest-10895169

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,086 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

ASOT wrote: »
    Silmani and Jonas will both gets moves away I would imagine, absolutely on a tear this season.

I was taking the tour of the Sporting stadium when they signed Silmani and was invited to attend the press conference. Seen him make his début then against Florentina in a preseason friendly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

As incredibly frustrating as it is having Sturridge injured for most games, I would still not sell him. I don't have the confidence in us to sign a striker worth replacing him, if we were to sell him I think our squad would be weaker. We've seen it with the likes of Suarez, Sterling, Gerrard, Carragher, Alonso, Mascherano.. Once we get rid of our best players we do not replace them with players of that quality. Planning for life without Sturridge is a must, but I think it would be a mistake to sell him.

Then again if it was my money paying him £150k a week I'd probably be thinking like this less, but there isn't too much point in the supporters getting bogged down in finances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Looks like he's gonna fit in just fine in our defence.....

https://twitter.com/SwearingSport/status/699330012621754368

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Never seen in the same place

Making-a-Murderer-Steven-Averys-mum-Delores-says-Teresa-is-not-dead-main.jpg

Manchester-United-MUFC-Louis-van-Gaal-David-de-gea-572790.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Id keep sakho and clyne in my back four for next season. Also keep lovren and moreno as squad players. A dominant keeper can transform a defence just look at arsenal since cech has come in this season. Matip is a step in the right direction. Now horn or ter stegan would be a great signing for goalkeeper

Arsenals defence has not been transformed. Cech saves them more than most keepers but the flaws still exist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,491 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Can we get this guy banned?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX7wtNOkuHo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Can we get this guy banned?

Sturridge gets injured not banned. You're thinking of Suarez, as he got banned not injured.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,491 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Never seen in the same place

Manchester-United-MUFC-Louis-van-Gaal-David-de-gea-572790.jpg

img-yogiBottom.png

Always thought he was a bit of a Yogi bear myself .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

kfallon wrote: »
    Looks like he's gonna fit in just fine in our defence.....

https://twitter.com/SwearingSport/status/699330012621754368

Gerrard-esque.

Too soon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

NukaCola wrote: »
    Sturridge is totally unreliable unfortunately......if he cant stay injury free for the rest of the season there may be no hope at all for him......just what we need but too fragile...

I don't get this. If he stays injury free now then isn't he reliable?

How do you define it? So now you want to sell him in case he does get injured?

Is it not possible that he may now have a bad run of injuries behind him and will improve from here?

It's happened in the past , Robin van Persie in his early Arsenal days had an awful run before becoming their most important player.

Sturridge when fit is the best player at the club and scores goals, we should be delighted to have him and do the best they can to keep him fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Knex. wrote: »
    Quite happy with that news, being honest.

Same here, he's on a free and looks like he might be decent. But what I'm also liking is the idea of pre-contracts- it allows us to get players before the window even opens thus avoiding getting into bidding wars. Also with all the tv money this summer the transfer market is likely to go even more insane for asking prices. And we've got the Euros on too which usually means a few flavour of the tournament purchases for huge money, thus driving prices up overall. And then the Chinese paying way over the odds for European based players in the prime of their career. I suspect this summers transfer market is going to be like a perfect storm of various events and as a result asking prices will be off the scale.

If Klopp sneakily buys a few more players on these pre-contracts between now and the window opening I'll be pretty impressed at his MO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

murpho999 wrote: »

Is it not possible that he may now have a bad run of injuries behind him and will improve from here?

It's happened in the past , Robin van Persie in his early Arsenal days had an awful run before becoming their most important player.

Sturridge when fit is the best player at the club and scores goals, we should be delighted to have him and do the best they can to keep him fit.

Van Persie was never as bad as Sturridge. He was still making 30-odd appearances a season. Sturridge scarcely seems to able to manage 20.

I'd certainly hang on to him, maybe indefinitely if he can manage to play even half our games, but Id relegate his role to bonus striker, get rid of Benteke and get someone else in. We cannot afford another season of pinning all our hopes on Sturridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Klopp getting his work done early makes me happy, none of this bidding war crap that we almost got into with Texeira.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

liverpooleuroleauge.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Jamie Carragher thinking of paying the €2000 fine imposed on Dromod GAA for allowing his soccer school use their pitch
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/carragher-considers-paying-dromards-2000-fine-34456250.html

Jamie Carragher's soccer school are considering an offer of financial support to the Longford GAA club that has been fined €2,000 for allowing their grounds to be used to host one of the schools run by the former Liverpool defender last August.
    GO TO
    Dromard GAA club's appeal against the fine has been ruled out of order because it was submitted last week outside the three-day window allowed for in GAA rule.
    The club took the three-day window to be three 'working' days but it is in fact three days from the date and time of notification.
    The Irish Independent understands that Carragher has been updated regularly on developments and with the appeal route now exhausted, his school may be prepared to help out with the fine.
    When news of the penalty broke 11 days ago Carragher's school issued a statement to the Irish Independent outlining that they would meet "to discuss what assistance it can offer to the club concerned".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

murpho999 wrote: »

Did I say we should sell him? Did I say we shouldn't try to get him fit?

Its pretty simple, he's unreliable as he's always injured. What can you not understand exactly? He's unreliable and fragile and cant be relied on, are you saying he's none of those things? Because that was what I posted.

Yes its possible the worst is behind him but what are we basing on it at this point? Two appearances? Its much more likely based on what we've seen that he will get injured again.

"If he stays injury free" is a big big if in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Gbear wrote: »
    Van Persie was never as bad as Sturridge. He was still making 30-odd appearances a season. Sturridge scarcely seems to able to manage 20.

I'd certainly hang on to him, maybe indefinitely if he can manage to play even half our games, but Id relegate his role to bonus striker, get rid of Benteke and get someone else in. We cannot afford another season of pinning all our hopes on Sturridge.

Well I remember around 2007/8 he had a run of injuries that meant he missed a lot of games, Not as many as Sturridge but he's a similar example imho.
    NukaCola wrote: »
    Did I say we should sell him? Did I say we shouldn't try to get him fit?

Its pretty simple, he's unreliable as he's always injured. What can you not understand exactly? He's unreliable and fragile and cant be relied on, are you saying he's none of those things? Because that was what I posted.

Yes its possible the worst is behind him but what are we basing on it at this point? Two appearances? Its much more likely based on what we've seen that he will get injured again.

"If he stays injury free" is a big big if in fairness.

I am hoping that the worst is behind him and if he stays generally injury free apart from the odd knock , that players pick up, plays 80% of games then he becomes reliable. Simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Who were the last players we signed on pre contracts or free transfers? Milner, Cole, Jovanovic and Vorinin are what come to mind. Nice list!

• Advertisement

5starpool wrote: »
    Who were the last players we signed on pre contracts or free transfers? Milner, Cole, Jovanovic and Vorinin are what come to mind. Nice list!

Kolo Toure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,298 ✭✭✭✭rob316

5starpool wrote: »

Maxi, Bellamy, Ings, Bogdan

rob316 wrote: »
    Maxi, Bellamy, Ings, Bogdan

It's mad how my brain first goes to the bad signings (Milner not in the same ballpark as the others though of course). Must be the Eeyore in me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭klose

I've read that both matip and grujic are both 6'3-6'4, caulker too although he's only a back up player. While defending set plays into the box obviously is not as simple as put a load of tall fellas into the box I'm sure it can't but help the cause in some way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Barca fans have started a petition to have Mascherano to take penalties so he can score a goal

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement