Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 15/16

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

This is what the new stand will look like next August.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CbSDkB8W8AA5vQK.jpg:large

CbSDkB8W8AA5vQK.jpg:large

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

BBC Radio piece on Paisley - The only man in football without an ego.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03jpbp1?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_5_live_sports_extra&ns_source=twitter&ns_linkname=radio_and_music
    Mark Chapman was joined by former Liverpool player Mark Lawrenson, commentator John Motson and sports journalist John Keith to look over Bob Paisley's reign at the Anfield club in which he oversaw unparalleled domestic and european success in the 1970s and 1980s.

25mins long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

murpho999 wrote: »
    I am hoping that the worst is behind him and if he stays generally injury free apart from the odd knock , that players pick up, plays 80% of games then he becomes reliable. Simple.

We all hope the worst is behind him. But we cant just go off hope and "ifs".

I have no problem keeping him and using him when available but I do have a big problem if our plan is to rely on him becoming injury free. Because it will be based on hope.

As I said, if he picks up another serious injury between now and the end of the season I dont hold out much hope of him becoming injury free long term anyway.

We need another striker to fill the void whether thats Firmino continuing to get better, Origi/Ings making the step up, Benteke showing us why we spent so much money on him or buying someone in. Based on what we've seen and not just hope, having Sturridge available is a bonus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

murpho999 wrote: »
    I don't get this. If he stays injury free now then isn't he reliable?

How do you define it? So now you want to sell him in case he does get injured?

Is it not possible that he may now have a bad run of injuries behind him and will improve from here?

It's happened in the past , Robin van Persie in his early Arsenal days had an awful run before becoming their most important player.

Sturridge when fit is the best player at the club and scores goals, we should be delighted to have him and do the best they can to keep him fit.

It's not difficult to get tbh, and there's an awful lot of looking on the bright side/living in dreamland in your post. Given the evidence of his career so far the likelihood of him staying injury free is minimal. It could happen but so could winning the lotto.

Van Persie had a decent 18-24 months in his career, what if Sturridge has already had his good period in his initial 18 months? Should the club be expected to just put up with his constant state of injury on the off chance he manages another one?

How do you solve a problem like Mario?

He will not be allowed set foot on the field again for AC by Sinisa Mihajlovic.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/liverpool-loanee-mario-balotelli-will-will-no-longer-set-foot-on-the-field-at-ac-milan-34457506.html

Looks like we will be hoping for a Chinese loan next year:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

Barca fans have started a petition to have Mascherano to take penalties so he can score a goal
    Surely they won't receive enough penalties before now and the end of the season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/liverpool-loanee-mario-balotelli-will-will-no-longer-set-foot-on-the-field-at-ac-milan-34457506.html

He'd be a great fit in China, would raise the hype of their league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Vicxas wrote: »
    He'd be a great fit in China, would raise the hype of their league.

They love their fireworks over there too, great move on paper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Selling Sturridge would be daft
    1 When fit he is far an away our best player
    2 what price would you get for him with his injury record

For sure we need to recruit in the Summer with a eye on the fact he is unlikely to be available and I would not build the team around him , but do not let him go , in the grand scheme of things there is no benefit is selling him , with major upside in Keeping him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Selling Sturridge would be daft
    1 When fit he is far an away our best player
    2 what price would you get for him with his injury record

For sure we need to recruit in the Summer with a eye on the fact he is unlikely to be available and I would not build the team around him , but do not let him go , in the grand scheme of things there is no benefit is selling him , with major upside in Keeping him.

The new contract sturridge got after his great run is what really killed everything. He's getting too high a wage now to move on with his injury record. Great players unfortunately too injury prone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Rumour that Simeone is going to Chelsea, my god next year is gonna have some serious managers in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Would not like to be on the Anfield Road End of the lower main stand that looks like some very restricted views with the steal work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Turtyturd wrote: »
    It's not difficult to get tbh, and there's an awful lot of looking on the bright side/living in dreamland in your post. Given the evidence of his career so far the likelihood of him staying injury free is minimal. It could happen but so could winning the lotto.

Van Persie had a decent 18-24 months in his career, what if Sturridge has already had his good period in his initial 18 months? Should the club be expected to just put up with his constant state of injury on the off chance he manages another one?

I don't see how it's dreamland/bright side to be optimistic that he can stay injury free.
    He has had a rough 18 months but before that he had a decent 18 months.

12/13 16 Games and 11 goals after signing for Liverpool
    13/14 33 Games and 24 goals.

Major problems started the next season.

I don't see why he can't play a similar amount of games again, especially as it appears he has not been rushed back this time?

Even so he has managed 5 goals in 8 games this season and that is a great ratio. The club would be mad to get rid of him now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

K-9 wrote: »
    Blasts from the past Aquilani and Coates are playing for Sporting Lisbon who are leading the Portuguese league by 3 points atm.

Seb Coates? He didnt last long in the north east

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

Seb Coates? He didnt last long in the north east

Went on loan from Sunderland in January to the end of the season

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CbSDkB8W8AA5vQK.jpg:large

Theyre not changing the position of the tunnel are they ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

Nerdlingr wrote: »

Yes they are.

Nerdlingr wrote: »

No, it's always been in the main stand and that's where it's staying going by the picture.

martyos121 wrote: »
    No, it's always been in the main stand and that's where it's staying going by the picture.

It is currently off center in the pics it is showing the tunnel at the half way line

• Advertisement

It is currently off center in the pics it is showing the tunnel at the half way line

Ah sorry, my mistake, thought you were on about it moving stands (which makes absolutely no sense now that I think of it :pac:).

Yeah hopefully it's just an error in the graphic, can't see why they'd change anything about the iconic tunnel.

martyos121 wrote: »
    Ah sorry, my mistake, thought you were on about it moving stands (which makes absolutely no sense now that I think of it :pac:).

Yeah hopefully it's just an error in the graphic, can't see why they'd change anything about the iconic tunnel.

They will be moving it as they are also making bigger dug outs by the looks of it, we shall find out in August

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭dogbert27

So should we start with the same team as Sunday or make changes?

I think we should go with our strongest team for the remainder of the Europa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

The Serbian Coach was not impressed with Balo's performance during Genoa. As the player failed to track back, he was seen screaming to him on the pitch: 'Mario, damn it!'
    That's our Mario for you :pac:

Seriously though, what will be done with him? He'll be on huge wages, and not even a Europa League team are likely to take him on given his woeful lack of form and injury record. You guys are joking about the China thing - but to me, that looks like the only destination open to him. He's a laughing stock in the Premier League, so I can't see too many clubs taking a chance, even if they are flush with TV money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Burn him down and get the insurance money ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Seriously though, what will be done with him? He'll be on huge wages, and not even a Europa League team are likely to take him on given his woeful lack of form and injury record. You guys are joking about the China thing - but to me, that looks like the only destination open to him. He's a laughing stock in the Premier League, so I can't see too many clubs taking a chance, even if they are flush with TV money.

We could chain him to a bike rack in Liverpool and someone would nick him.

Seems the simplest solution to me :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

They will be moving it as they are also making bigger dug outs by the looks of it, we shall find out in August

Makes sense. The dug outs are ridiculously small. It's like a dug out for ants

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

Article about our newest signing (sorry if posted before, didn't read it if it was)

ESPN Article on Matip

What look like some useful attributes from the article
    This season, the Cameroonian has Schalke's best statistics in interceptions, blocks, clearances and headed clearances, ranking in the Bundesliga's top 10 across those categories combined. Matip also dribbles more than any of Liverpool's centre-backs and boasts 17 goals for the Gelsenkirchen club, 16 of which have come from set pieces.

He has missed only three of Schalke's 29 matches this season, all in the Europa League group stage, chipping in with four goals and an assist -- so Matip is not moving to England to kick his heels.

Will also be the tallest player in the squad at 6"4'

Anyone buying Mario would literally be flushing money away.

Huge, huge potential but couldn't give a fiddlers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

I think most people agree with this. He's got the talent but not the attitude. Could his attitude be changed by an inspirational manager like Klopp or is he simply too toxic now for anyone to bother even trying? The downsides for a manager trying to extract Mario's potential seem to far outweigh the potential upside.

IIRC his contract with LFC runs to June 2017. If no one will take him on loan next season and we're obliged to pay his £100,000 a week (or whatever) wages will we have any choice but to take him back into the squad and see if Klopp can work some magic on him? The only alternative might be to pay up his contract which would basically mean writing him a cheque for £5m and letting him join whatever crazy Arab/Chinese funded club will take a chance on him.

Mad circumstances but if he isn't making a go of it back at his beloved AC Milan for the 2nd time it's hard to see him giving a $hit anywhere else.

Terrible waste of talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Never got the huge potential hype, he's strong and nippy for a CF but aside from that the rest of his game is very average and in some departments well below average.
    Because of his rebellious attitude the media liked him and build him up to be a potential world class player which i've never understood.

He adds nothing on the pitch, and detracts from the team even more off the pitch, we should make it known he's available for free and hope someone is silly enough to take on his wages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

8-10 wrote: »
    Makes sense. The dug outs are ridiculously small. It's like a dug out for ants

They need to be at least 3 times bigger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Lots of rumblings today about Granit Xhaka

Interesting central midfield pair of Xhaka-Can ..Xhaka Can..Xhaka Can

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Reminds me of this:
    Bakkushan
    A woman who appears attractive, but only when seen from behind. (origin Japanese)

She's got a nice figure but her face looks like ****... She's a bona fide bakkushan![/I]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I think most people agree with this. He's got the talent but not the attitude. Could his attitude be changed by an inspirational manager like Klopp or is he simply too toxic now for anyone to bother even trying? The downsides for a manager trying to extract Mario's potential seem to far outweigh the potential upside.

IIRC his contract with LFC runs to June 2017. If no one will take him on loan next season and we're obliged to pay his £100,000 a week (or whatever) wages will we have any choice but to take him back into the squad and see if Klopp can work some magic on him? The only alternative might be to pay up his contract which would basically mean writing him a cheque for £5m and letting him join whatever crazy Arab/Chinese funded club will take a chance on him.

Mad circumstances but if he isn't making a go of it back at his beloved AC Milan for the 2nd time it's hard to see him giving a $hit anywhere else.

Terrible waste of talent.

Give Klopp the chance - what have we got to lose?

If it doesn't work out, he either guess out in loan or rots in the reserves until his contact is up. No advance payoffs - **** that.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Knex. wrote: »
    Reminds me of this:
    We call the bakkushan 1661s.

16 from the back, 61 from the front

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭Augme

Give Klopp the chance - what have we got to lose?

If it doesn't work out, he either guess out in loan or rots in the reserves until his contact is up. No advance payoffs - **** that.

Morale and team spirit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

i think mario could break klopp, hopefully china club buys him

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

I think Balotelli does care but was just never good enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

i think mario could break klopp, hopefully china club buys him

I'd be a little surprised if the club haven't already told Raiola to find the dafty a new club, unless training with the U-11s is his aim for next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Would be a very solid signing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,490 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Mario belongs at a small club
    One that plays him week in week out
    One that is happy for his 20 goals a season
    One that doesn't care about the cost of those goals
    Won't work, will take every penalty, every free kick, won't defend
    But hey 20 goals.
    Send him to Norwich.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I think Mario may have ADHD just fill him full of Ritalin and his concentration span might grow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Vicxas wrote: »
    Rumour that Simeone is going to Chelsea, my god next year is gonna have some serious managers in the league.

ilefmiC.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭AidySevenfold

Xhaka would be a great signing, rumours of Pep wanting him as well though, so will be quite a battle for his signature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

But hey 20 goals.
    Send him to Norwich.

He has never scored 20 goals in a season in his entire career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭price690

Where are you seeing these "rumblings" may I ask?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Tusky wrote: »
    He has never scored 20 goals in a season in his entire career.

Fairly sure he scored 20 in that semi-final v Germany.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,086 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

But hey 20 goals.
    Send him to Norwich.

Even trying to thank this post is difficult, Mario is just difficult, he breaks everything

24976711201_19e7e50a28_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Probably was a player in there, but he never had to work for it. It all came too soon for him and somewhere along the line he stopped working at it and decided to do whatever he wants. Really never had the ability to back up that kind of behavior.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Article about our newest signing (sorry if posted before, didn't read it if it was)

ESPN Article on Matip

What look like some useful attributes from the article

Will also be the tallest player in the squad at 6"4'

Nah, The count seems 8ft tall sometimes..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement