Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 15/16

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Full vid (gonna rob the crap outta your thanks, Buford!)

Knex. wrote: »

Preview?imageID=1031&generatorTypeID=&panels=&text0=DON%27T%20STEAL%20MY%20THANKS%21&text1=OR%20ELSE.....&text2=&text3=

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I just thanked Buford's post in protest of yours.

Sean_connery_raction.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

emmetkenny wrote: »
    We could chain him to a bike rack in Liverpool and someone would nick him.

Seems the simplest solution to me :)

Sounds like a waste of chain to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

mosstin wrote: »
    Sounds like a waste of chain to me.

+ The cost of storing his ego would fund a small country for decades

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Well there goes his big chance. Kevin Stewart injures ankle ligaments, out for a while.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-fc-midfielder-kevin-stewart-10902542

Very unlucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Well we won't go into full on panic mode until we know! :p

Seriously though, it would be a pity for him, esp as Brannagan is likely to be taking his place and could nail that down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

5starpool wrote: »
    Well there goes his big chance. Kevin Stewart injures ankle ligaments, out for a while.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-fc-midfielder-kevin-stewart-10902542

Very unlucky.

Poor fella. We've had a lot of those this season, serious injuries just as players are hitting their stride.

martyos121 wrote: »
    I just thanked Buford's post in protest of yours.

Sean_connery_raction.gif

Hipster thanker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭MentalMario

When was the last time a free transfer worked out for Liverpool?

Matip has failure written all over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

That's the spirit!

Kolo Toure says Hi....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Kolo Toure says Hi....

I also completely disagree that milner has been a failure.

Kolo Toure says Hi....

Kolo Toure says Hi....

If a 4th choice centre back is considered a success, we really are in a bad place.

What has Kolo done to be deemed a success? He's been average, at best.

Mediocre players breed mediocre results and a mediocre finishing position in the league.

There's a serious lack of quality in the Liverpool team right now and buying squad filler like Matip isn't going to change that.

Klopp can spout whatever crap he wants but it's time to be realistic.

noodler wrote: »

Not been a failure isn't being a good signing, though.

It's about time we stopped accepting average. There's a reason why we're where we are in the league, it's because of the serious lack of quality in the squad.

Milner would be a very good squad player but I just can't accept that he's good enough to be a starter when we have a full side. The sad thing is, he's one of the first names on the teamsheet at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

If a 4th choice centre back is considered a success, we really are in a bad place.

Mediocre players breed mediocre results and a mediocre finishing position in the league.

There's a serious lack of quality in the Liverpool team right now and buying squad filler like Matip isn't going to change that.

Every player is brought in for a purpose, with an expectation. To be fair, Kolo has been the best 4th choice CB we've had in 20 odd years I'd say. He's been about as much of a success as a backup guy can be.

But anyway, how you come by a player has absolutely nothing to do with how successful that player will be. May as well be talking about players signed on a Monday or some other ridiculous arbitrary factor. Schalke didn't want to lose him, he turned down their new contract, so it's not like he's some cast off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭klose

Maxi was pretty good on a free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I just ran into this on t'internet so thought I would leave it here.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ4dG5C2_ogWjJPsBUK5vtJNLde_xxt_lRFYGz6J283f4PmToim

• Advertisement

Stared 10.
    Won 6.
    Draw 4.
    Lost 0.

You're setting the bar too high.

And that's not even discussing his off the field qualities either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

He's still been better than Skrtel, Lovren & Sakho who were all brought in for big money!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Stared 10.
    Won 6.
    Draw 4.
    Lost 0.

You're setting the bar too high.

And that's not even discussing his off the field qualities either.

He lost v Utd :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Klopp wrote:
    We have enough strikers – five with Roberto (Firmino) – but not too many wingers, just a few young ones with great potential.

Maybe a winger or 2 to come in the summer....?

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-fc-boss-jurgen-klopp-10902720

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭JB81

Hopefully looking at same team as weekend for tomorrow night then? No cup game at weekend may be a blessing in disguise.

Plan would be to score at least one ( hopefully 2/3 ), and bring a lead back to Anfield.

Now that our first XI is looking stronger then so should our second string
    ( tough luck for young Stewart though ) and hopefully this would be good enough to finish them at home and have first XI ( same as Villa game ) out for the cup final, maybe Lovren in for Toure.

Team for second leg would look like:

Mignolet, Flanagan, Caulker, LLori / Lovren, Smith, Lucas, Allen(Inj?), Teixeria, Lallana, Origi, Benteke

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Milner has improved the starting eleven. Apart from Henderson there is no other midfielder at the club as good. When used in attacking positions he will still contribute more than the likes of ibe and lallana.

Not been a failure isn't being a good signing, though.

It's about time we stopped accepting average. There's a reason why we're where we are in the league, it's because of the serious lack of quality in the squad.

Milner would be a very good squad player but I just can't accept that he's good enough to be a starter when we have a full side. The sad thing is, he's one of the first names on the teamsheet at the moment.

Well then maybe base your opinion on his title winning years and CL experience with city and not the kneejerk reaction here to little more than have a season in one of the worst league campaigns in living memory.

https://twitter.com/MelissaReddy_/status/699722565548433408

Stewart has injured his ankle.

It seems that every time a young player starts to make a name for himself recently, they get injured. Gomez, Ings, Origi, Stewart, Rossiter. Can even go back to Flanagan and Martin Kelly before that.

Big injuries at crucial times, for the large part. Hopefully Stewart's turns out to be minor.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Aurelio even tho he was made of glass was a success mostly with us and was free :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,298 ✭✭✭✭rob316

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Aurelio even tho he was made of glass was a success mostly with us and was free :D

Very good player when he played. Always remember that free kick at Old Trafford in 09 and the one at Stamford Bridge in the CL that season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

https://twitter.com/MelissaReddy_/status/699722565548433408

Stewart has injured his ankle.

It seems that every time a young player starts to make a name for himself recently, they get injured. Gomez, Ings, Origi, Stewart, Rossiter. Can even go back to Flanagan and Martin Kelly before that.

Big injuries at crucial times, for the large part. Hopefully Stewart's turns out to be minor.

Probably sound like a broken record with my own praise of him, but I've felt like Stewart's not missed a beat whenever he's played. Granted his shooting has been a little wayward (very in his case), but he's slotted into the midfield incredibly well. Hasn't looked out of place at all imo.

Gutted for the lad, and can only hope its a short term thing for him and nothing major.

I haven't been overly impressed by Kevin Stewart yet. I thought he was poor against West Ham, very slow at times and would have taken him off instead of Chirivella. With the Europa League in the knockout phase I'd prefer to be playing as close to a full first team as possible in every game and I don't think Stewart would have been close to being in the first team squad anyway. Having said that obviously hope he's not too badly injured and gets back fit asap! But no great loss this season at least, we have better players fit and ahead of him.

Edit: Stewart wasn't even in the Europa League squad anyway so my point is moot - he wouldn't have played anyway. So it's only the EPL and League Cup final where we'll miss him

JB81 wrote: »
    Hopefully looking at same team as weekend for tomorrow night then? No cup game at weekend may be a blessing in disguise.

Plan would be to score at least one ( hopefully 2/3 ), and bring a lead back to Anfield.

Now that our first XI is looking stronger then so should our second string
    ( tough luck for young Stewart though ) and hopefully this would be good enough to finish them at home and have first XI ( same as Villa game ) out for the cup final, maybe Lovren in for Toure.

Team for second leg would look like:

Mignolet, Flanagan, Caulker, LLori / Lovren, Smith, Lucas, Allen(Inj?), Teixeria, Lallana, Origi, Benteke

Flanagan and Illori not in the EL squad

Rumour doing the rounds that Lavezzi has signed for Hebei China Fortune.

One less link to us this summer if true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,298 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Rumour doing the rounds that Lavezzi has signed for Hebei China Fortune.

One less link to us this summer if true.

No rumour its a done deal. €30m per year he will earn!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

Feckin Chinese hoovering up all the good players. Thought they were meant to be a great bunch of lads.

emo72 wrote: »
    Feckin Chinese hoovering up all the good players. Thought they were meant to be a great bunch of lads.
    When they take Balotelli, they will be the best bunch of lads EVER.

I just wish they would hurry up and get it done though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Mario's not exactly imbued with the Chinese work ethic or fond of the sort of discipline that prevails in a single-party dictatorship, though, is he?

I'm reconciled to the big auld dope stinking up the place until mid-2017, anything other than that will come as a pleasant surprise.

I have an idea.

a few good frees

Babbel, Litmanen, Bellamy, Gary Mac, Maxi, Fowler, Pellegrino (why? cos he gave Hyypia games off for the CL)

• Advertisement

Markus Babbel was outstanding before his illness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Apart from Teixeira. China hasn't signed any players in there peak. All players who are looking for one last big paycheck.

Sounds like a gig for Balo then! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

a few good frees

Babbel, Litmanen, Bellamy, Gary Mac, Maxi, Fowler, Pellegrino (why? cos he gave Hyypia games off for the CL)

There's a player I completely forgot had played for us. Had to Google him to refresh my memory!!
    MD1990 wrote: »
    Apart from Teixeira. China hasn't signed any players in there peak. All players who are looking for one last big paycheck.

Of course - it's always the case of emerging leagues or those back by massive money. Look at Qatar, etc a few years ago with plenty of fashionable sounding but not very players and end-of-career Spaniards making the move there.

All the Chinese league has to offer right now is money. There is no commercial interests, no likelihood of international games, etc. Only certain players will be interested in that.

MLS wasn't too dissimilar until they realised that developing their own players benefits everyone instead. That said, still plenty of end of year paycheck players going there but it's not the only imports into the league as it was a few seasons ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Where are the Chinese getting the money for all these players!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Vicxas wrote: »

Everyone is eating spicebags these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

Vicxas wrote: »

The Chinese Govt want to broaden their economy to be less reliant on manufacturing and property so are promoting investment in services and entertainment and having a world class football league is one way they can demonstrate their economic muscle.

Good article here - http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/10154676/the-chinese-revolution-explaining-the-explosion-of-moves-to-china

The Chinese Govt want to broaden their economy to be less reliant on manufacturing and property so are promoting investment in services and entertainment and having a world class football league is one way they can demonstrate their economic muscle.

Good article here - http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/10154676/the-chinese-revolution-explaining-the-explosion-of-moves-to-china
    Yeah, similar to the oil economies buying Man City and the like.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Fair play to FC Augsburg, this is great.

https://twitter.com/FCA_World/status/699909031654248448

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

God its a rough sounding barbaric language.

Germans not easy to listen to either.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement