Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 15/16

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

Completely agree Can has had a fair few poor games. At 22 yrs old though, I'd give Can a lot more slack than any other midfielder in the squad. The guy should not be needed to be running the game, he should be helping out tired players, coming on for the last 30 minutes and the odd start. The likes of Lucas, Henderson, Milner and Allen should be helping him out, just as Carragher was always helping Flanagan when he got his chance, directing him to where he should be positioned. Like Ibe imo there is too much pressure on young players to be starting and playing well every week when the whole team are struggling. To put it into perspective Kevin Stewart is older than Can and only making a breakthrough now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Ah here, a bunch of baldies criticising Can, that's all this can be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The other thing for me is that Can is still young enough to improve. Henderson, Milner and Lucas are not going to get any better. They might hit a vein of form, but this is as good as they're going to get as players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

The other thing for me is that Can is still young enough to improve. Henderson, Milner and Lucas are not going to get any better. They might hit a vein of form, but this is as good as they're going to get as players.

Would agree with this. It's easy to forget how young Can is, and how much time he has to improve. I would have had him as one of our better players earlier in the season. But like Moreno, a lot of the good stuff he brings to the team is overlooked on here because the bad stuff (his tendency to watch as the game passes him by) is so obvious. He is easily the best ball carrying midfielder we have, but needs to improve his decision making/final ball. He obviously has the quality as seen v Southampton in the cup, and Villa but he needs to produce it more consistently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Players like Can & Moreno who do have talent but drift in games really need to have a leader on the pitch beside them to get into their ear when they drift off.

We need to find a leader/captain on the pitch who can dictate to these players.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

LOAN WATCH FRIDAY NIGHT SPECIAL :D

Just watched most of the second half of St Pauli v Frankfurt in which Taiwo Awoniyi made his Bundesliga 2 debut. This fella is 18 and just about 6 foot tall, also stocky and strong. played 89 mins and did well in what I saw, I missed the goals (Frankfurt won 1-3) but he worked hard, kept moving, was confident on the ball, defended when he needed to and all round looked much more complete than a teenager on his full debut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Henderson is an able replacement for Gerrard but I worry his injuries might prevent him from ever really leading the team.

Allen would be nailed on starter for me know, last injury was a disaster for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

does pre-season start as the players come back from Euros or after the tournament ends?

Milner should be the first of the trio dropped out of the team when there's a suitable replacement.

As someone said the other night in the match thread, he barely looks like he is in control of his body most of the time, never mind trying to control a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Henderson is an able replacement for Gerrard but I worry his injuries might prevent him from ever really leading the team.

Allen would be nailed on starter for me know, last injury was a disaster for him.
    I wouldn't put any of our midfielders even close to Gerrard at his best. When you think back of all the great midfielders we have had over the years this squad is pretty damn poor. In twenty years I think they will be remembered along with the likes of Danny Murphy or Nick Barmby, good professionals who had some great moments but hardly remembered as club legends.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Henderson is a top class player, he's on the front cover of fifa with messi sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

I don't normally like reading interviews with footballers because they're usually cliche filled,media trained rubbish but that's a good one. Interesting fella.

Just watched most of the second half of St Pauli v Frankfurt in which Taiwo Awoniyi made his Bundesliga 2 debut.

And the winner of Most Hipster sentence of the day goes to....

:)

:pac: Someone has to keep an eye on these kids.

Officer that's not what I meant!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,367 ✭✭✭✭8-10

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Henderson is an able replacement for Gerrard

Nope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Milner should be the first of the trio dropped out of the team when there's a suitable replacement.

As someone said the other night in the match thread, he barely looks like he is in control of his body most of the time, never mind trying to control a game.

In term of actual midfield play, yeah, i'd agree. He does seem to be the most pragmatic of the trio at the moment though, actively getting the ball into danger areas quicker, and getting into those areas himself.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

LOAN WATCH FRIDAY NIGHT SPECIAL :D

Just watched most of the second half of St Pauli v Frankfurt in which Taiwo Awoniyi made his Bundesliga 2 debut. This fella is 18 and just about 6 foot tall, also stocky and strong. played 89 mins and did well in what I saw, I missed the goals (Frankfurt won 1-3) but he worked hard, kept moving, was confident on the ball, defended when he needed to and all round looked much more complete than a teenager on his full debut

Sure he's probably 32 or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Reds seek lucrative 10-year contract for new Main Stand at Anfield
    Liverpool are looking to tie up a lucrative £90million naming rights deal for Anfield's new Main Stand.

The Reds' chief commercial officer Billy Hogan has been in Asia this week holding talks with three interested parties.

No agreement is imminent but Anfield officials have been delighted by the level of interest and a naming rights partner for the £120million development is expected to be confirmed before the summer.

Liverpool are seeking a 10-year contract which would be worth £7million to £9million per season.

Also:
    Liverpool are also seeking a new training kit sponsor with Garuda's current deal expiring this summer.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-fc-set-tie-up-10918771

People's Republic of China Main Stand.

We might as well try and get some that money.

• Advertisement

Burger Stand appeals to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Burger Stand appeals to me.

One night Stand

Mario Balotelli has played his last match for Liverpool: China or Turkey beckons
    Mario Balotelli’s Liverpool career is over.

The Italian striker, who is currently on a season-long loan at AC Milan, doesn’t feature in Jurgen Klopp’s plans for the future.

As a result Liverpool are determined to off-load the controversial frontman on a permanent basis before pre-season training starts this summer.

A lucrative move to the Chinese Super League is a serious possibility for Balotelli with clubs in the Far East having already enquired about securing a deal for the 25-year-old.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/mario-balotelli-played-last-match-10916890

Mario Balotelli has played his last match for Liverpool: China or Turkey beckons

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/mario-balotelli-played-last-match-10916890

pleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease

We should pretend we want to keep him and try and get 30m for him from them.

5starpool wrote: »
    We should pretend we want to keep him and try and get 30m for him from them.

I really wouldn't try to player poker with some of the players we want off the books or they could all end up like Mignolet signing a new five year contract on double wages knowing our history with transfers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Balotelli has marketing potential. We can play hardball on selling him.

ush wrote: »
    Balotelli has marketing potential. We can play hardball on selling him.

Damn right! We will pay no more than half of his wages at his next club! Alright, two thirds - but that's our final offer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Damn right! We will pay no more than half of his wages at his next club! Alright, two thirds - but that's our final offer!

Take this enormous cheque and get out of our sight!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Bellend.

CbqVpobXIAA_zd3.jpg

I was at this game, it was brilliant being there, but in this clip I love the steward behind the goal totally ignoring his job duties to celebrate.

https://twitter.com/LFC/status/701042346675322880

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,276 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I was at this game, it was brilliant being there, but in this clip I love the steward behind the goal totally ignoring his job duties to celebrate.

https://twitter.com/LFC/status/701042346675322880

I was in the Kop for that game, great day it was!

Xabi Alonso has a JFT96 sticker in his Bayern Munich dressing room seat.

Cbp6FDpW0AABFu8.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Everybody knows Lawro is a numpty but you'd think there be someone at bbc with a brain and realise that a lot of people would be offended by him holding up that rag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

**** commentator and an all round arsehole that lad.

• Advertisement

Grayditch wrote: »
    **** commentator and an all round arsehole that lad.

He'll get a lot of heat for that and rightfully so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Feel bad for him. Whatever about his commentary skills, seems a good bloke and just didnt cross his mind what a stupid idea that was id say. Outraged fans on twitter taking photos of where theyve paused the image on Sky Plus is ironic to say the least

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Cbp6FDpW0AABFu8.jpg

And a photo of himself there also, in case he forgets who he is. #memento

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Cbp6FDpW0AABFu8.jpg

Rodgers gets stick for having a picture of himself at home but Xabi can hang them up at work and not even mentioned. Sick of these double standards!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Everybody knows Lawro is a numpty but you'd think there be someone at bbc with a brain and realise that a lot of people would be offended by him holding up that rag.

Hang on - why would Lawrenson himself not realise the significance of it?

Edit - apologies. Missed the 'with a brain' part of your post. Rules Lawrenson out.

• Advertisement

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Feel bad for him. Whatever about his commentary skills, seems a good bloke and just didnt cross his mind what a stupid idea that was id say. Outraged fans on twitter taking photos of where theyve paused the image on Sky Plus is ironic to say the least

I know why you think it's ironic, but it is not at all ironic.

Would normally stay well clear of the Sun/Hillsborough outrage but people like you jumping in to defend him as point scoring says a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,490 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

5 pound off at LIDL was just not worth the aggro he's now receiving .

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Would normally stay well clear of the Sun/Hillsborough outrage but people like you jumping in to defend him as point scoring says a lot.

Hardly. He seems a decent guy and I doubt he consciously decided to put a dent in his career to piss fans off. Forgetfulness and stupidity are forgivable traits

Ridiculous post. Well done.

Ridiculous post. Well done.

Typical thanks whoring post without actually remarking on anything said

He reckons he somehow didn't realise it was that paper. That's some excuse.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-fc-mark-lawrenson-insists-10922066

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

He was going to go with the "I thought I was holding an ice-cream" angle but some part of his all but useless brain sparked and went with something much more believable.

I don't actually care. I'm just not a bit surprised at anything he does or says. Fools are going to do and say foolish things. And Mark Lawrenson is an absolute fool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

I'm no fan of Mark Lawerenson, but there's no need for anyone to be offended by that. Perhaps there's an entitlement to feel annoyed at him not observing a boycott, but he hasn't done anything offensive.

Anyway, anyone reading the Sun is an idiot regardless of whether they're aware, or even bothered about hillsborough. Common sense isn't something that should be expected from your typical Sun reader

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

He reckons he somehow didn't realise it was that paper. That's some excuse.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-fc-mark-lawrenson-insists-10922066

I dont know, I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt here....

“I didn't even realise it was The S**. They wanted to show the back page because it related to Jose [Mourinho] and I got given the paper as soon as Dan [Walker] was asking me a question"“If I'd have known it was The S** I wouldn't have done it. I held it up to show the headline and it was too late to take it down."

Seems like he was distracted a bit and just held it up, which in itself was bad enough but some dope at the BBC actually took the picture and tweeted it......

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement