Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 15/16

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

5starpool wrote: »
    I was at this game, it was brilliant being there, but in this clip I love the steward behind the goal totally ignoring his job duties to celebrate.

https://twitter.com/LFC/status/701042346675322880

My favourite part of this goal, which isn't in the clip, is Pepe Reina running the length of the pitch to celebrate with him.

Real passion - that was a big part of why people loved Reina so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Typical thanks whoring post without actually remarking on anything said

Ok. I'll remark on what you said so...

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Feel bad for him. No you don't. You just thought you'd do a bit of stirring,which is fair enough but don't be acting hurt when you're called on it.
    Whatever about his commentary skills, seems a good bloke and just didnt cross his mind what a stupid idea that was id say. Then he's even more stupid than I thought.

Outraged fans on twitter taking photos of where theyve paused the image on Sky Plus is ironic to say the least You have a similar grasp on irony to Alanis Morrisette.

I tried to avoid thanks whoring but might have slipped up with my third comment. Sorry,I can't help myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Lawrenson is a Liverpool legend. I would give him the benefit of the doubt before jumping all over him in righteous indignation.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Lawrenson is a Liverpool legend. I would give him the benefit of the doubt before jumping all over him in righteous indignation.

There's no way he did it on purpose but it was really stupid. He'll take a bit of flak for a couple of days and it'll blow over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Would love to give my thoughts on him but I think the selective abuse rule would come into play. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Ok. I'll remark on what you said so...

I tried to avoid thanks whoring but might have slipped up with my third comment. Sorry,I can't help myself.
    That needs a thanks. Sooooo......

THANKS!*

It didn't need the exclamation mark but it fits in quite well*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I still remember when Liverpool were at their lowest point in years and he was cracking jokes at the team's expense when he was "commentating" on games to get a few cheap laughs. I don't feel a bit sorry for him that this is getting blown out of proportion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

NukaCola wrote: »
    I dont know, I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt here....

“I didn't even realise it was The S**. They wanted to show the back page because it related to Jose [Mourinho] and I got given the paper as soon as Dan [Walker] was asking me a question"“If I'd have known it was The S** I wouldn't have done it. I held it up to show the headline and it was too late to take it down."

Seems like he was distracted a bit and just held it up, which in itself was bad enough but some dope at the BBC actually took the picture and tweeted it......

Give the guy a break. His commentary style may be annoying to some (including me) but he's one of the best defenders we ever had. Everyone makes the odd mistake. What real supporters do is understand that and be forgiving, particularly when he immediately came out and said there's no way he'd knowingly touch the rag.

Some people just like being angry and are constantly on the look out to express their faux outrage. Sad really.

I'd have more problem with ex players and ex managers working for the same fcuking company as the Sun or going on their programs to promote themselves i.e. Sky!!! How can some people be offended at an ex player accidentally holding up a piece of $h1t red top tabloid from News International from whom he's getting no payment and be ok with Carragher taking their cash as an analyst?? Double Standards or what???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Give the guy a break. His commentary style may be annoying to some (including me) but he's one of the best defenders we ever had. Everyone makes the odd mistake. What real supporters do is understand that and be forgiving, particularly when he immediately came out and said there's no way he'd knowingly touch the rag.

Nobody is giving him the benefit of the doubt because he's acted like a sour-faced **** for the past 15 years any time he has anything to say about the club.

I dunno is he actually a bollocks or not, but it's hard to see him as anything other than that when the only evidence we see is how he acts in public, and that's like an arsehole.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,276 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Lawro has long come across as a Muppet of the highest order, no one should be surprised !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Gbear wrote: »
    Nobody is giving him the benefit of the doubt because he's acted like a sour-faced **** for the past 15 years any time he has anything to say about the club.

I dunno is he actually a bollocks or not, but it's hard to see him as anything other than that when the only evidence we see is how he acts in public, and that's like an arsehole.

I feel the very same way about Ronnie Whelan. Superb player for us but rarely has anything positive to say about the club nowadays. He isn't obliged to of course but this idea that because someone once played for the club you must therefore welcome every inanity from their mouth is ridiculous.

Gbear wrote: »

I could tolerate Pro Evo when the game was sh!te but having him on commentary killed it for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Lawro holding a rage of a paper. Get over it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

10,000 spoons.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Weekends when we aren't playing are crap.

Worst sporting weekend in a long time in general as well I reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Weekends when we aren't playing are crap.

Worst sporting weekend in a long time in general as well I reckon.

No Ireland in the rugby either.

Although maybe that's a blessing.:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Lawro was undoubtedly a great defender, but he's without doubt an absolutely numpty when it comes to punditry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

brevity wrote: »
    10,000 spoons.

When all you need is a spork

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

Lawro was undoubtedly a great defender, but he's without doubt an absolutely numpty when it comes to punditry.
    I think he's hilarious. He's completely genuine and basically has free rein which makes him both unpredictable and totally opposite to most of the robots on bt and sky. Yes, he comes out with the odd clanger, but the benefit of his dry wit and different take on things outweighs the loss of full mental function.

Canadel wrote: »
    I think he's hilarious. He's completely genuine and basically has free rein which makes him both unpredictable and totally opposite to most of the robots on bt and sky. Yes, he comes out with the odd clanger, but the benefit of his dry wit and different take on things outweighs the loss of full mental function.

:eek::confused: BBC humour. He cracks a joke, maintains that serious face whilst the sycophants around him fall around the place guffawing. I find him remarkably unfunny. If Lawrenson is funny then Martin Keown is Bill Hicks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Ross Barkley. Price? Thoughts?

Plays for Everton. Won't ever play for us. Will be sold at a frighteningly high English premium. Is at least two seasons of consistently good football away from being rated as highly as he is presently considered.

I'd have Dele Alli over him anyday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

No no and no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

mosstin wrote: »
    :eek::confused: BBC humour. He cracks a joke, maintains that serious face whilst the sycophants around him fall around the place guffawing. I find him remarkably unfunny. If Lawrenson is funny then Martin Keown is Bill Hicks.
    On TV3 for the champions league games is mainly where I listen to him. He was great for the Chelsea PSG game recently.

If (and it is a MASSIVE if and not at all likely), we signed Barkley it would be for at least 40m, and I think that money could be much better spent by us.

If (and it is a MASSIVE if and not at all likely), we signed Barkley it would be for at least 40m, and I think that money could be much better spent by us.

He'll go for more than that I think. Which, at this stage of his career, he definitely isn't worthy of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

His 15-20 year career would beg to differ. I personally don't like his style but he has undoubtedly had a successful career as a pundit. That's undeniable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Lawrenson is a fcuking clown. We'll leave it there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

The Lawro thing isn't really an issue for me at all. I saw the photo yesterday, thought 'what an eejit' and moved on. Everyone has an opinion on him that won't really be changed either way, faux outrage or not.

He's apologised for the incident and that's enough for me. I genuinely don't think he knew what he was doing. Yeah, the rag was on his lap for a few minutes before holding it up. But i think if he had time to sit back and think about it, he probably wouldn't have done it.

It's a stupid thing for a former Liverpool player and someone who i think works now and again for LFC TV to do, but he's apologised and admitted no offence was meant.

End of story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Yep, he's apologised. No probs, we all do silly things without thinking. No hassle imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Anyone doubting Lawernson's excuse needs to bare in mind that this is a man who thought Alaska was a country. He's not a smart man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Plays for Everton. Won't ever play for us. Will be sold at a frighteningly high English premium. Is at least two seasons of consistently good football away from being rated as highly as he is presently considered.

I'd have Dele Alli over him anyday.
    makes no sense since Dele Alli has been good for half a season while Barkley was excellent in 13/14. Barkley is a better player imo but he isn't needed at Liverpool while we have plenty of AMs. I suspect he will join City or Man Utd for 50m.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

IMO, Barkley has a habit of disappearing for a game or two at a time. He'll play well for 3 or 4 games, few headline goals or assists and then won't be heard from again for weeks. Like Stones, I think he's overrated because he's English. If Everton's core are as good as we're led to believe, they'd be doing better in the league. I know the defence is shaky but they've a weak underbelly which is easily exposed when things get tough for them.

Can't really judge Barkley v Alli yet but Alli looks the real deal to me.

Barkley will go for £50m to Chelsea, City or United, and he's just not quite there for me yet. He could be in a season or two, and maybe making the step up to playing with better players is all he'd need to seal the deal but as it stands, he won't be the game changer in a bigger side and at £50m, that's what I'd be looking for.

MD1990 wrote: »
    makes no sense since Dele Alli has been good for half a season while Barkley was excellent in 13/14. Barkley is a better player imo but he isn't needed at Liverpool while we have plenty of AMs. I suspect he will join City or Man Utd for 50m.

Call it a gut feeling then. I've watched Barkley closely over the past few seasons and too often there's too little end product. Lovely player but worth the hype? Not in my opinion. Dele Alli has been superb every time I've watched him this season. He's been consistently excellent and seems a far better bet than Barkley even at this stage of his development.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,367 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Another excellent strike by Milik on his return for Ajax today. Little nutmeg and then a cracking shot from the edge of the area. Had thought before that he'd have been a great buy for Liverpool and still think he'd do a good job but we have Ings instead. El Ghazi is probably the player I'd go after in the summer, gives really good width in a front 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

8-10 wrote: »
    Another excellent strike by Milik on his return for Ajax today. Little nutmeg and then a cracking shot from the edge of the area. Had thought before that he'd have been a great buy for Liverpool and still think he'd do a good job but we have Ings instead. El Ghazi is probably the player I'd go after in the summer, gives really good width in a front 3.

For anyone who is curious

http://gfycat.com/ConcernedSparseBoaconstrictor

Mignolet-esque from the keeper.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Mignolet-esque from the keeper.

Yeah. Seemed to pull his hand away from it. Strange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭hadepsx

B.rod on BBC 1.
    Fantastic character.

• Advertisement

Martin Kelly scoring for Palace at Spurs. Delighted for him. Really fancied him for us but he was always broken.

One of Harrys first games to attend....:pac:

And Bobadilla will miss the Augsburg match, just to cheer you all up on a miserable day

http://www.kicker.de/news/fussball/bundesliga/startseite/645669/artikel_muskelfaserriss-bei-bobadilla.html

Chelsea game will have to be rearranged now as well as it will be on the same weekend as the QF's. We can't play our Everton game then either which is rearranged due to the cup final as Everton are still in the cup obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Martin Kelly scoring for Palace at Spurs. Delighted for him. Really fancied him for us but he was always broken.

I watched that game, really glad for him. First game back since November and he dumps Spurs out of the Cup, what could be better?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

9 years ago today we beat Barcelona 2-1 in the Nou Camp with goals from Bellamy and Riise.
    One of my favorite goal celebrations.
    _42599759_bellamy270.jpg

To think we couldn't even beet Augsburg the other night:(.
    Hopefully Klopp can bring in some real quality to our midfield and have us really competing in Europe in a couple of seasons.

• Advertisement

Charlie19 wrote: »
    9 years ago today we beat Barcelona 2-1 in the Nou Camp with goals from Bellamy and Riise.
    _42599759_bellamy270.jpg

To think we couldn't even beet Augsburg the other night:(.
    Hopefully Klopp can bring in some real quality to our midfield and have us really competing in Europe in a couple of seasons.

I don't expect us to be competing in the same way we were 10 years ago under Rafa, but it'd be nice to be able to compete for CL places properly on a regular basis and not shít the bed if we did qualify for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Charlie19 wrote: »
    _42599759_bellamy270.jpg

****, 10 years ago? I watched that game in the International in Dublin. Ended up getting the first bus home the following morning. Good times. **** I'm getting old

Edit: nine not ten. Point still stands though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I don't expect us to be competing in the same way we were 10 years ago under Rafa, but it'd be nice to be able to compete for CL places properly on a regular basis and not shít the bed if we did qualify for it.

Getting into the CL will be the challenge but I feel when we do actually qualify, Klopp could set us up properly and we'd give anyone a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I fully expect us to be competing for Champions League next season at a minimum, as I imagine do FSG.

This summers transfer business will be very important indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭dogbert27

And Bobadilla will miss the Augsburg match, just to cheer you all up on a miserable day

http://www.kicker.de/news/fussball/bundesliga/startseite/645669/artikel_muskelfaserriss-bei-bobadilla.html

Any update on the availability for the return leg?

the-20-sexiest-oktoberfest-photos-ever-taken-20-photos-3.jpg?quality=100&strip=info&w=899

The return leg match thread won't be the same without her!! :pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement