Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 15/16

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Prick :D

Ah no, I'm delighted for you pal. Enjoy the game.

Cheers

I'll treat her to a NowTV day pass so she can enjoy at home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Fieldog wrote: »
    **** ye...

Im going down blind with no tickets hoping to pay through my snot to get in.

If not I'll be watching in a boozer across the road... :D

Not many good places around there unfortunately. They'll probably split the bars between supporters too so make sure you don't go to a City one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

8-10 wrote: »
    Not many good places around there unfortunately. They'll probably split the bars between supporters too so make sure you don't go to a City one!

Defo man,

I haven't been to a game in years so I knew I wouldn't have a hope of having attended 3 home games to be in with a chance of getting tickets, so just gonna try me luck at this stage, pulling all the strings I can... :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

May I interest you two gentlemen (or ladies) in your local League of Ireland club?
    There's no money in it at all so it will be very difficult for you to ever become disenfranchised!
    But they are your local club and strive to represent your local community.
    Tickets are reasonably priced at E15 and E10 concessions.
    It's a summer league so complements very well if you would still like to keep following foreign winter leagues.
    Just a thought.

I go to a few LoI games a season, though haven't gone regularly since Rovers were in Tolka around 07 or 08. Certainly I do intend to start going more regularly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I'll be watching the game Sunday in Costa Rica. I don't think I'll find a bar that shows it here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

niallo27 wrote: »
    I'll be watching the game Sunday in Costa Rica. I don't think I'll find a bar that shows it here.

You might be surprised. ESPN will carry it, I think Costa Rica will the LatAm ESPN (predominantly Mexican & Colombian ads, commentators). They show 1 or 2 Prem League games per on a Sat. Pretty sure they showed the whatever it is Cup Final last year.

While I still support Liverpool, winning this cup does next to nothing for me. It is the most hollow of victories, should we make it.

Don't give a monkeys about anything below the FA Cup. There should not be a League cup, adds to the stupid fixture congestion and degrades the FA Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

niallo27 wrote: »

Why not drop these guys a message and find out? https://www.facebook.com/CraicIrishPub/?rf=263270430429847

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

While I still support Liverpool, winning this cup does next to nothing for me. It is the most hollow of victories, should we make it.

Don't give a monkeys about anything below the FA Cup. There should not be a League cup, adds to the stupid fixture congestion and degrades the FA Cup.

Like Liverpool are in such a position as to argue the toss - it's the first final since May 2012 and it one I want to see the side win just so they know it's possible.

I cannot agree with that. If that's all that matters then might as well support Man City or Barcelona or PSG.

If I were a Stoke City fan, for example, I'd be sick reading that. Haven't won anything since the League Cup in 1972. Have faithfully followed their team up and down the divisions since then, now showing they're a capable Premier League side and getting away from the pulisball tactics and playing good football. Chairman gives free bus travel to away supporters and affordable tickets to home games - always a good atmosphere at the Brit. Then this season get all the way to the semi-final of the League Cup, holding banners reminiscing of the 1972 team in the stands, lose to Liverpool on the coin toss of a penalty shootout after 210mins of a stalemate in the 2-leg semi final.

....then Liverpool fans the week of the final say they don't care if they win it or not anyway. Shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Nothing succeeds like success. If we can get past Augsburg, it would be wonderful to see the team go into the last 16 of the Europa knowing they can actually win a pot, because they have just won one. They'd have nothing to fear.

I want a big shiny distraction at the front of next season's squad photo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

corwill wrote: »
    Nothing succeeds like success. If we can get past Augsburg, it would be wonderful to see the team go into the last 16 of the Europa knowing they can actually win a pot, because they have just won one. They'd have nothing to fear.

So you want Balotelli back covered in oil?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

I cannot agree with that. If that's all that matters then might as well support Man City or Barcelona or PSG.

If I were a Stoke City fan, for example, I'd be sick reading that. Haven't won anything since the League Cup in 1972. Have faithfully followed their team up and down the divisions since then, now showing they're a capable Premier League side and getting away from the pulisball tactics and playing good football. Chairman gives free bus travel to away supporters and affordable tickets to home games - always a good atmosphere at the Brit. Then this season get all the way to the semi-final of the League Cup, holding banners reminiscing of the 1972 team in the stands, lose to Liverpool on the coin toss of a penalty shootout after 210mins of a stalemate in the 2-leg semi final.

....then Liverpool fans the week of the final say they don't care if they win it or not anyway. Shame.

Stoke should be hoping to win the FA Cup.

Nothing I said made mention to the fact that Liverpool are "too big" or too whatever else to win the League Cup.

I just think, that as a tournament, it should never have existed. If it's purpose is the frankly condescending purpose of giving the lesser teams something to shoot for, then that's pathetically condescending. OOoh, little Stoke deserve to win something. Balls to that.

A cup and a league is enough. An extra cup belittles both. It's not about creating tournaments to win for the sake of it.

We play to many games, get rid of a sh1te cup and remove the congestion.

League
    Whatever Euro competition
    FA Cup

Nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

corwill wrote: »

Yup, agree totally
    There is no downside to winning things
    martyos121 wrote: »
    So you want Balotelli back covered in oil?

Yup

As long as that is him preparing to be shot out of a canon over to China or somewhere else suitably far away from the club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

As long as that is him preparing to be shot out of a canon over to China or somewhere else suitably far away from the club

Can't beat a gigantic catapult, but hey, that's just the traditionalist in me talking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

martyos121 wrote: »
    Can't beat a gigantic catapult, but hey, that's just the traditionalist in me talking.
    Pfffttt...

Liverpool fans, always living in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Pfffttt...

Liverpool fans, always living in the past.

I find its exceptionally difficult to live in the present, when the thoughts you're having right now, are in the past by the time you complete them.

I'm off my head though, so don't mind me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Fair play to him. Although between Mignolet, Bogdan, and his ex wife, he hasn't the best track record with finding keepers.

https://twitter.com/therealfanatix/status/702112500268007424

(insert your best character joke here)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Knex. wrote: »
    Fair play to him. Although between Mignolet, Bogdan, and his ex wife, he hasn't the best track record with finding keepers.

https://twitter.com/therealfanatix/status/702112500268007424

(insert your best character joke here)
    Joe Allen has to be the best man surely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭Augme

You think after his last wife fleeced him he'd be a bit more reluctant to go down the aisle. There's also some very Brendan Rodgers about proposing to someone in Time Square like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Augme wrote: »
    There's also some very Brendan Rodgers about proposing to someone in Time Square like that.

It's the only place he could have done it where his teeth wouldn't be a distraction

(Stole that off Reddit)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

I have very fond memories of the League Cup - I pay little attention to what it's called these days. Ronnie Whelan - on his first appearance at Wembley - scoring two was one of my most vivid memories of my early Liverpool supporting days. With the exception of the Charity Shield, I feel that winning any trophy in England is a worthy achievement. Cannot wait for Sunday.

Kevin Stewart awarded a new 4 year contract, the current one expired in the summer. That tackle by some West Ham thug will keep him out for about 5 more weeks.

In other Academy news the U18s thrashed Sunderland (who U21s beat Liverpool 2-0 on Sunday) 5-0 with goals from Woodburn, Ejario and Toni Gomes who took the ball home.

Goals for Liverpool here - Toni Gomes has the look of a real goal taker. Nice tekkers as well.

https://streamable.com/kl1j

Shame ?

You're getting a tad emotional there.

Magico doesn't actually support Stoke.

Shame ?

You're getting a tad emotional there.

Magico doesn't actually support Stoke.

No it's just a shame that that's the case that we don't seem to care about winning or losing a final when other teams would relish it. Especially when it's a competition that we're the record holder for in terms of number of wins.

I can see how it might have been interpreted - I didn't mean "shame on you" or anything like that - my bad!

Also it's my birthday so I'll cry if I want to ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

No it's just a shame that that's the case that we don't seem to care about winning or losing a final when other teams would relish it. Especially when it's a competition that we're the record holder for in terms of number of wins.

I can see how it might have been interpreted - I didn't mean "shame on you" or anything like that - my bad!

Also it's my birthday so I'll cry if I want to ;)

I hear ya but it's all about context isn't it ?

As a Liverpool supporter my expectations are different to most Stoke supporters.

I think Magico was just saying that he sees the League Cup as an irrelevant competition, for some supporters, and I think he is right.

Enjoy your birthday dude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

I personally love the League Cup, prefer it to the FA Cup.

I think it has personality/character/other Rodgersism... It is largely played under lights in mid-week - those games have a different feeling to weekend games against PL sides like in the FA Cup., great atmosphere.

I also think it is helped greatly by the fact that the final is a standalone event in February/March. The FA Cup usually falls between the PL decider and the CL final and if Pool aren't in it, my interest just wanes then.

Maybe it's because some of my earliest football memories are of LFC in the League Cup - BBC used show it live when the only football that was on TV was the CL, which we weren't in - but I have a soft spot for the competition. LFC have a great history in the comp. It pisses me off when people disregard this, just like the UEFA Cup wins. They may not be as prestigious as the league or European Cup wins, but they are part of the club's identity - only cup won by Evans, only cup won by Dalglish in his second spell, Houllier won 2 (incl one as part of the 00-01 season) - did none of that mean anything to the fans? The players?

I'll be thrilled if we win the cup on Sunday. First cup won by Mourinho and Pellegrini in English football and gave them a good grounding of success. Success breeds success - if Klopp wins this, the winning mentality can only be helped going forward. I can't understand any football fan not being bothered by their team winning a trophy.

By that rationale you rate winning pre season 'tournament' trophies.

If a team starts the season competing in four competitions then the League Cup is the least prestigious by some distance.

If a team starts the season competing in four competitions then the League Cup is the least prestigious by some distance.

and by February it might be the only thing left to play for.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

No I don't rate pre-season tournament trophies, in the same way that winning a friendly match isn't the same as winning a competitive match.

At no point did I mention anything to do with prestige either. I won't argue the order you or anyone else rates them in, but I am just as entitled to prefer one over another for whatever reasons.

I prefer playing midweek cup ties to weekend ones. I prefer extra time and penalties to replays. I prefer playing a final in February because it feels like an event rather than the weak part of a trilogy.

And, when it comes down to it, the f u cking prize is essentially the same at the end of the day so what does it matter? The financial result of both is a pittance for the clubs involved, the European spot is the major prize on offer.

I won't waste my time arguing this with anyone - tbf most of my points are opinion and youre perfectly entitled to disagree - but I'm going to enjoy Sunday. Just like I enjoyed 2012. And 2003. And 2001. Because isn't that what it's all about?

and by February it might be the only thing left to play for.....

That doesn't make it a better competition to win. That's a sign of an underperforming season.

I agree with you BlackBull that we are all allowed our own opinions and desires.

I was simply agreeing with Magico re the League cup.

Some supporters get very opinionated and question the support of some fans,based on their own desires, and I think that's unfair. It has to go both ways.

I don't care a jot about the League cup but any supporter that gets a thrill from winning it is more than entitled to do so.

Too many opinions are expressed as matter of fact.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Well I for one really want us to win and I'll be gutted if we don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Knex. wrote: »
    How are the lads?

Don't know about ye, but it was actually nice to have a weekend without football for once. Looking forward to the final next weekend. Hopefully we can gain some momentum from a great European night in Anfield on Thursday.

We have absolutely zero ability to control a game, so we really need the trio up front to provide the spark.

True that. The only time we have looked remotely in control is when playing vastly inferior opposition. Kloppo is the antithesis of Rafa in terms of style it seems, although that can't be confirmed until he has brought in more of his own players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I think a League Cup win is very appealing at the moment, especially when taking into account that CL qualification is looking near impossible the way things stand in the league.

Plus I think it would mean a little more to the squad compared to when Kenny won it, because back then It felt more like a going away present rather than something to build on.

• Advertisement

Generally when we've one the League Cup we've been successful on other fronts too :)

It'd be a great start to Klopp's reign ..... nice celebration, get the trophy cabinet unlocked for a bit, a new piece of silverware about the place.

Hopefully we'll be after a nice result on Thurs night heading into the final on Sunday, win that, bit of momentum.... no -ives there imo.

Ter Stegan has had a good game (so far)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Why is the game on Thursday kicking off at 6?

• Advertisement

Because the first leg was the late game.

Sergi Canos subbed in the Brentford game

It's common enough to have games on at six and even earlier.

I think it's for tv coverage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

That may be true but if you enter a competition in which you are competing against all other top clubs and you win it it is a significant achievement, perhaps not as prestigious or historical as the FA cup but so what? It's still a competition win and that is what football is all about. Winning the League cup this year will/could be a springboard for "more prestigious" success in the years to come.

That may be true but if you enter a competition in which you are competing against all other top clubs and you win it it is a significant achievement, perhaps not as prestigious or historical as the FA cup but so what? It's still a competition win and that is what football is all about. Winning the League cup this year will/could be a springboard for "more prestigious" success in the years to come.

I don't think you are really competing against all the other top clubs. You are playing against second 11's in many cases. Even teams that are finishing in the bottom half, of the league, put out their second 11 in the league cup.

'It's still a competition win and that is what football is all about.' - that's not what it's all about for me.

Will / Could be a springboard ? - I don't buy into that. It is what it is in that moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Hope 'Louie' sends John Henry a thank you text. Just got a firsthand glimpse of what coulda been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Jesus the gunners fans are a bitter lot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

IMO, any time you win a competition, it's an achievement worth celebrating. In every competition, from day one the odds are against you, so beating the odds is always something to be happy about. Because why not?

Just because it's less prestigious than other competitions doesn't really mean much...that's life, there are level's of highs. Just because the birth of your firstborn is better than your promotion at work doesn't mean you can't still celebrate your promotion.

We've few enough opportunities to be happy. Let's not count our chickens though, even at this stage with just the final to play, we're still the underdogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Hi :)

You can talk to us you know, we don't bite!

To be fair getting ritually bummed by Barca every other year must get on their norbs.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

To be fair getting ritually bummed by Barca every other year must get on their norbs.

I'm nearly as glad that we don't have to face them as annoyed that we are not in a position to ever face them.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement