Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 15/16

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,666 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Found that strange today alright, Ginger Mig on the bench.

I thought boggera had left till today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

NukaCola wrote: »
    What was the point in recalling Ward from what was reported to be a successful spell of first team football in Scotland if he's not going to get a chance? Would like to see him start a few games.....a lot of the other young players got a chance in the first team I can only assume that Ward will get the same chance?

Haven't read back through the thread but, on Mignolet - I actually thought he was superb today with one massive exception. I'd have him out the door tomorrow morning but he showed balls today.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Meh, Flanagan looked solid defensively in a team that other teams were wary of attacking. They myth of his ability has been confounded by him being out injured for so long, him being a local lad, and the whole Cafu nickname. There's a reason we couldn't get anyone to take him on loan shortly before that.

Moreno has his flaws but also gets very little credit on here for anything he contributes.

Find this very very strange.

Flanagan has been, at the very least, a very reliable and solid defender. He hadn't been in the team very long before injury kept him out for a long time. This would hold back his chance of progressing and improving his all round game. He does offer when going forward also.

There is ZERO 'myth' to his ability. His ability has been proven when he's been on the pitch. It's there here for all who can see it.

'Moreno has his flaws' is some understatement. Can you share what he contributes ? I loathe to over criticise any player but he is about as brain dead as I've seen. Not just the odd time but nearly EVERY game I've seen him play.

Smith offers at least the same as Moreno in terms of breaking forward and speed. In fact he has already shown, with very very limited game time, that he has more end product.

Smith and Flanagan should get gametime, at the expense of Moreno, for the rest of the season and Moreno should be one of the first to leave the club this summer. I genuinely think he is the dumbest on-pitch footballer I've seen.

Flanagan has been, at the very least, a very reliable and solid defender. He hadn't been in the team very long before injury kept him out for a long time. This would hold back his chance of progressing and improving his all round game. He does offer when going forward also.

There is ZERO 'myth' to his ability. His ability has been proven when he's been on the pitch. It's there here for all who can see it.

'Moreno has his flaws' is some understatement. Can you share what he contributes ? I loathe to over criticise any player but he is about as brain dead as I've seen. Not just the odd time but nearly EVERY game I've seen him play.

Smith offers at least the same as Moreno in terms of breaking forward and speed. In fact he has already shown, with very very limited game time, that he has more end product.

Smith and Flanagan should get gametime, at the expense of Moreno, for the rest of the season and Moreno should be one of the first to leave the club this summer. I genuinely think he is the dumbest on-pitch footballer I've seen.

Quite the line from someone who's sensitive to others' 'tabloid' opinions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I need to rant a bit, and get a few things off my chest.

That was gutting. There's not point in pretending otherwise. This club wins its fair share of penalty shootouts, especially big ones in finals, so I'm fine to take it on the chin. City were the better team, so I don't begrudge them the trophy.

Also Kompany was pure class on the pitch with our players afterwards by all accounts. He and Pellegrini deserve any award they get, if only that they actually seem like nice blokes.

But onto us...

I've read and heard a lot of drivel over the years from some fellow fans when it comes to this club.

Kenny is an embarrassment to Liverpool.
    Roy Hodgson has had a brilliant career and deserves the Liverpool job.
    Lucas is useless.
    Rafa is an embarrassment to Liverpool.
    Suarez won't be missed that much.

(they're just some, I'm sure some of you can think of more)

But this suggestion that seems to be growing legs in some parts that Klopp is proving to be a fraud, and that he's already a flop, is simply offensive. It's moronic. It's also spoilt. 'If the fix isn't immediate, get him out'. Fúck off. You don't deserve to be a fan. Yes, it's been tough at times, but good Christ, I thought we might be better than that.

Klopp is not infallible, but it's quite clear that the central issues have nothing to do with him. The squad continues to prove that it's quite poor, and certainly unbalanced.

We've too many fúcking players who never just grab a game by the balls. We've nobody who'll consistently do the right things to make something happen.

Coutinho does it one in 6 or 7.
    Firmino? Not that type of player
    Lallana? Never. Too interested in fancy ass touches and tricks.
    Henderson? Barely once a season. Thought once upon a time he was that player.
    Milner? Isn't capable apparently. It seems he can only run.
    Sturridge? A focal point, yes, but doesn't inspire or drive you forward as a team.
    Can - Tries the right things often, but flatters to deceive most of the time if we're honest.

I just don't trust any of them. None of them. Not one of them would I trust in the heat of battle. And that is the legacy of our investment strategy in this team. I don't trust them.

The only player I trusted today all game was Lucas. And he was out of position at fúcking CB. He did the right thing almost every time. He tried to pass forward. He moved forward, even dribbling past 2 on one occasion to set up an attack. He was immense. Just immense.

We need strong characters. We need leaders. We don't fúcking have any. We have a few masquerading as them (like Hendo and Milner), but very few actually doing it.

The amount of times some of them (i.e. Hendo, Coutinho, Firmino, Milner in particular) would misplace an easy pass in the final 3rd, or they'd chicken out of getting at City by slowing an attack down to be safe, was mental. I was close to throwing my shoe at the TV it was so infuriating. Professional players choosing to pass backwards or try a stupid flick instead of shooting or being direct. It just became comical.

I mean, our goal was as flukey as you'll see. It came from half arsed nonsense that fell our way.

Klopp needs to be given money. He needs to be able to bring in players, particularly in midfield and up front who have the character to take responsibility for the team, as I don't see any right now; and that's a hangover from the previous regime. Rodgers and the 'committee' fúcking mangled this squad. It has no shape, and almost demands tippy-tappy safe nonsense. Klopp prided his Dortmund team on direct, hard, incisive football at breakneck speed.

This is not his team, and until he gets more players in, I don't think it will be.

I want the players that are there to step up.
    I want them to do the right things.
    I want them to be able to control the ball under pressure and pass to a teammate in the final 3rd.
    I want them to be able to cross a ball accurately.

Watching them though, most of the players simply aren't of the standard required.

Klopp must get time, and he must get money. Lots of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Also thought Milner did well, apart from his piss poor set pieces (again), Lallana also did well as an impact sub.

Milner was ok when he was not in an attacking position. As soon as he got in the final third he was brutal. We won't win anything with Can/Henderson in midfield either, they just don't have the ability to control the play or pass the ball well under pressure. We are muck in midfield, City must have been wondering how they didn't finish us in the 90 mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

mosstin wrote: »
    Haven't read back through the thread but, on Mignolet - I actually thought he was superb today with one massive exception. I'd have him out the door tomorrow morning but he showed balls today.

Superb is going a bit far but yeah done very well when called upon......but even when he plays well, like today, he has that massive mistake in him that will cost us, like the goal today.......I'd have no problem with him as backup but we need to replace him as a starter.......just way too shaky at times....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Smith offers at least the same as Moreno in terms of breaking forward and

speed. In fact he has already shown, with very very limited game time, that he has more end product.

Couldnt agree more how many times after a game are we left scratching our heads at something stupid Moreno does vant recall a player as brain dead as Moreno

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Until my dying day, I'll wonder what was going through Moreno's mind when he nodded the ball back across the 6 yard box against West Ham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

SlickRic wrote: »

That was gutting. There's not point in pretending otherwise. This club wins its fair share of penalty shootouts, especially big ones in finals, so I'm fine to take it on the chin. City were the better team, so I don't begrudge them the trophy.

Also Kompany was pure class on the pitch with our players afterwards by all accounts. He and Pellegrini deserve any award they get, if only that they actually seem like nice blokes.

But onto us...

I've read and heard a lot of drivel over the years from some fellow fans when it comes to this club.

Kenny is an embarrassment to Liverpool.
    Roy Hodgson has had a brilliant career and deserves the Liverpool job.
    Lucas is useless.
    Rafa is an embarrassment to Liverpool.
    Suarez won't be missed that much.

(they're just some, I'm sure some of you can think of more)

But this suggestion that seems to be growing legs in some parts that Klopp is proving to be a fraud, and that he's already a flop, is simply offensive. It's moronic. It's also spoilt. 'If the fix isn't immediate, get him out'. Fúck off. You don't deserve to be a fan. Yes, it's been tough at times, but good Christ, I thought we might be better than that.

Klopp is not infallible, but it's quite clear that the central issues have nothing to do with him. The squad continues to prove that it's quite poor, and certainly unbalanced.

We've too many fúcking players who never just grab a game by the balls. We've nobody who'll consistently do the right things to make something happen.

Coutinho does it one in 6 or 7.
    Firmino? Not that type of player
    Lallana? Never. Too interested in fancy ass touches and tricks.
    Henderson? Barely once a season. Thought once upon a time he was that player.
    Milner? Isn't capable apparently. It seems he can only run.
    Sturridge? A focal point, yes, but doesn't inspire or drive you forward as a team.
    Can - Tries the right things often, but flatters to deceive most of the time if we're honest.

I just don't trust any of them. None of them. Not one of them would I trust in the heat of battle. And that is the legacy of our investment strategy in this team. I don't trust them.

The only player I trusted today all game was Lucas. And he was out of position at fúcking CB. He did the right thing almost every time. He tried to pass forward. He moved forward, even dribbling past 2 on one occasion to set up an attack. He was immense. Just immense.

We need strong characters. We need leaders. We don't fúcking have any. We have a few masquerading as them (like Hendo and Milner), but very few actually doing it.

The amount of times some of them (i.e. Hendo, Coutinho, Firmino, Milner in particular) would misplace an easy pass in the final 3rd, or they'd chicken out of getting at City by slowing an attack down to be safe, was mental. I was close to throwing my shoe at the TV it was so infuriating. Professional players choosing to pass backwards or try a stupid flick instead of shooting or being direct. It just became comical.

I mean, our goal was as flukey as you'll see. It came from half arsed nonsense that fell our way.

Klopp needs to be given money. He needs to be able to bring in players, particularly in midfield and up front who have the character to take responsibility for the team, as I don't see any right now; and that's a hangover from the previous regime. Rodgers and the 'committee' fúcking mangled this squad. It has no shape, and almost demands tippy-tappy safe nonsense. Klopp prided his Dortmund team on direct, hard, incisive football at breakneck speed.

This is not his team, and until he gets more players in, I don't think it will be.

I want the players that are there to step up.
    I want them to do the right things.
    I want them to be able to control the ball under pressure and pass to a teammate in the final 3rd.
    I want them to be able to cross a ball accurately.

Watching them though, most of the players simply aren't of the standard required.

Klopp must get time, and he must get money. Lots of it.

Absolutely no offense meant here, but this sounds like you're having an arguement with yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

corwill wrote: »
    Until my dying day, I'll wonder what was going through Moreno's mind when he nodded the ball back across the 6 yard box against West Ham.

And the peno he gave away against norwich. Got away with the first challenge then makes another stupid challenge. Stand there like a ****ing idiot with his hands out. Brain dead footballer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Gbear wrote: »
    Fine. Excellent was hyperbolic. They were both good and did their jobs to a high standard.

It's not about through balls or shots on goal that they produced.

Lallana gave us, for the first time, some capacity to hang onto the ball, he created space for the rest of the attack, he gave us higher quality of ball around their box and he created a bigger threat in behind - eventually leading directly to Coutinho's goal.
    Every aspect of our attacking play improved when he came on, although Origi had a hand in that when he came on as well.

Granted - moving Coutinho in there and putting someone else on up front would've worked too, but we didn't really have anyone else except Ibe.

There's a reason why our best results this season have tended to come with Lallana on the pitch.
    Not all players, not even attackers, are purely measured in goals and assists. We simply attack better when he's there.

On Milner, he did his job well. I don't think it was necessarily the right job that needed doing, but he himself did pretty much everything he needed to in possession and as usual, went above and beyond in application.

I've been carping on about the trio of Milner/Hendo/Can being too conservative for ages, as have half the Liverpool fans I've seen. It's not the players fault that that's the case though.

Having said that, maybe had we gone more offensive from the start and had Origi or Lallana in there City would've just battered us 4-0. There's value in it. I just don't think it works on balance.

It's not because players are necessarily underperforming though - first and foremost they're the wrong tools for the job.

Lallana did well, gave it everything.

Milner on the other hand was atrocious. So poor on the ball, first touch and crossing terrible. Our worst player today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Last year against Arsenal instead of closing the man down stands with his hands behind his back is up there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I'm disappointed, and I'm still banging the drum about our inability to control a game (and need for midfielder), but I do have one positive note from today.

First time in I don't know how long, that we actually showed some resolve and fight. We could even have won that game in the end. A few months ago, we roll over and die, tbh.

I'd wager a lot of that has to do with Lucas in the heart of defence, too. I want to see him there as much as possible now.

Quite the line from someone who's sensitive to others' 'tabloid' opinions.

You lack some very basic understanding and I'm not willing to educate you on the difference between opinions and statements.

Is Lucas a viable starter at CB now?

Based on what we've seen I'd say yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

No one takes control and brings an attitude
    '' I'm scoring today and no ones going to stop me''
    Sturridge had scraps to feed on today. But the others had no interesting in getting into
    box and into dangerous positions. Firmino, Coutinho, Milner, Can, Henderson, Lallana all are happy to play and let it break down and then to repeat process. There are no surprises to opposition. There is no one ghosting in behind out of the blue, no one getting beyond Sturridge. Sturridge came deep a lot today looking to get a touch, to link up, so even he added to this attitude of just play it around, there was no penetration.
    Man City kept a great line today though, back 4 never moved. Its why we needed someone to say '' **** this I'm going to take a chance, abandon my position and make a run'' . Sometimes in a game there are moments when the greats like Gerrard will say to himself, now is time to go, to forget defending , forget my position and ghost in there. Why ? BECAUSE WE HAVE THE FUCCKING BALL. You can make these decisions on occasions when in possession. Our players never make these decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

We're distinctly average now and that is the worry. A cancer of mediocrity has swept through the club, culminating in what we seen today. Moneyball & transfer committee is the biggest load of tosh.

Klopp will surely build his own team from May onwards but right now we are painfully set-up. A team with Milner (who was not as bad as some make-out) Hendo & Can at the hub of all creativity is not going to go well. Mind you seeing Milner being pushed back to left-back seemed a stretch even for 'Mr. Versatile' Moreno should not be getting near the team regardless of who else is available. End of. That is not even up for discussion. Don't even get me started on Mignolet who will hopefully be dealt with in the summer. Klopp's comments afterwards where he said 'the goal was a mistake and should not be scored from this angle' or words to that effect seemed to suggest there will be a change in GK position. Gutted for Lucas who gave it all, but as well as he did they had the run on our make-shift defense.

What about Sturridge? Watching him I thought Sturridge is having one of his 'lazy performances' Where was the electricity we seen away to West Ham in the FA Cup? Granted it was tough with Kompany excelling, what a class act he is. Firmino was 100 miles off the pace, one final stray pass before the inevitable hook. And a wry smile from Benteke as the group formed a huddle before the penalty shoot-out. Completely frozen out & not worthy of a run off the bench in our two most important games of the season. Unreal. Not that I blame Klopp for this, not the finest moment from the much maligned transfer committee.

And then theres the goal. Sterling has missed 2 sitters & all I'm thinking is of Arsenal in Cardiff. Can we steal it. Let's not forget a better City team than this lost to Wigan in Wembley. To my eyes they were there for the taking and we weren't at it. Then bang, out of the seat like a lunatic after a wonderful goal out of nothing. A sense of pride that we had got back into it & the game had not petered out. Pumped with the notion we could push on and win it.

It wasn't to be. Origi I thought was excellent and it would have been some steal had he netted that header. Onwards to the old enemy from the red half of Manchester. The gutting feeling of now will be long gone if we can knock them out & save the season. Unfortunately they are hitting a bit of form at the right time and one wonders how in hell we can get our sh** together to beat them. The season & alot of these fellas LFC future depends on it.

corwill wrote: »

How many examples are there ?

The peno against Norwich, I think, was about as dumb as possible. Fouled him once and when no peno was given he went straight in and fouled him again.

Edit - rob beat me to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Yes. Yes he is. I'm calling this now and i don't care if i end up being wrong. He's the new Emlyn Hughes and i'm all for giving him the captaincy as well.

• Advertisement

Now Yes. Long term no. We need to get back to a 4 if defense who play every bloody week.

Macherano made that move.
    Lucas could too. I did not notice Lucas looking out of position, he looked natural in his role today.

But onto us...

Surely this can't be true. Granted I don't read much media or listen to anybody on TV but thats farcical, beyond belief, if true.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Skrtel will be back on Wednesday against City. I'd prefer to keep Lucas there, he seems to be the only one with brains who has played there this season, but he'll be moved again. Hopefully he'll play ahead in Milner or Can in midfield though on Wednesday.

Now Yes. Long term no. We need to get back to a 4 if defense who play every bloody week.

People said that about Macherano. It was strange at first, people questioned it, now he starts there week in week out. He was only covering for injured players when he was put there few years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Surely this can't be true. Granted I don't read much media or listen to anybody on TV but thats farcical, beyond belief, if true.

I've only heard it from one Utd-"supporting" mate, but tbh he watches eff all football and is as wrong as incest on all topics 99.9997% of the time. And Danny Higginbotham in the Torygraph, I think it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I don't think anyone is seriously talking like that about Klopp. I know there are one or two on here who talk rubbish about the team regressing under him but I think most people are wide to those posters though.

Anything else is coming from the 'neutrals' or the lads in the comedy thread, both of whom would take him in a heartbeat.

Just a case of empty vessels making noise.

People said that about Macherano. It was strange at first, people questioned it, now he starts there week in week out. He was only covering for injured players when he was put there few years ago.

I just don't think he has it in his legs. Next year he will be a year older as well. Thought he was older than 29 tbh. I agree he has been excellent but long term I don't see it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

People coming round to the idea moreno ain't that special a year or two too late. Been saying it onon here for the last two seasons.

• Advertisement

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    People coming round to the idea moreno ain't that special a year or two too late. Been saying it onon here for the last two seasons.

No awards for stating the obvious bud

You lack some very basic understanding and I'm not willing to educate you on the difference between opinions and statements.

Shame that. I think that thread as a whole would have benefitted from your insight on these matters.

No awards for stating the obvious bud

It's only obvious to people now. He's been playing like this for two seasons now.

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    It's only obvious to people now. He's been playing like this for two seasons now.

I think you are wrong. Plenty could see it. Sur Rodgers stopped playng him. I'm too tired to even argue this

On a side note how good was toure today when he came onon? Give that man an extra year extension on his contract. Also lucas at the back was excellent. Said it before a few weeks back but we may have stumbled upon his best position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Reckon City had the better chances today and on the balance of things deserved their win. But I still think we could have nicked that on penalties, we had a chance to go 2-0 up and really pile the pressure on them. A few kicks later and suddenly we are 3-1 down and its all over.

For me I think we got it all wrong on the penalties. I would have liked to see Henderson take the first one just for leadership sake. Emre Can taking the first made me nervous but after he chipped it down the middle we had three saved because they were poor penalties and no excuses. They were all at the perfect height for the keeper and in the case of Coutinho he tried to get the keeper to dive and it didn't work. I can only assume the keeper did his homework on Coutinho and it got saved as a result.

I know penalties are a lot of pressure in a packed stadium but poor penalties at this level should be unacceptable. A professional footballer should be able to put it low and hard into the corner making it unsavable. If he doesn't do that then the keeper has every chance, as we found out. Its just very frustrating, we would have had City on the rack if we could have scored to go 2-0 up on penalties but instead we saw three drab ones in a row and suddenly that was that.

• Advertisement

I think you are wrong. Plenty could see it. Sur Rodgers stopped playng him. I'm too tired to even argue this

Unfortunately Im not wrong bud.
    There is no argument.
    Moreno has been an average buy for us, who's been out of position, the wrong side of attackers, making stupid unwinnable tackles, losing possession, turning his back to crosses/shots, taking ****e set pieces, picking out no one with his crossing, and generally a loose cannon since he signed for us.
    People has continued to defend him on here. I said it before and I'll say it again. Is he any better than when he first joined us?
    Answer is no.
    He's just as poor now as when he first waited for the ball to bounce in the ethiad two seasons ago.

The only player I trusted today all game was Lucas. And he was out of position at fúcking CB. ..........

Are you seriously trying to tell us that when the team was announced Lucas at CB against Man City didn't get you thinking "Oh sh1t".

Hindsight is great, he had a great game but I don't think you saw it coming to be honest.

The reason he was CB was because Klopp doesn't fancy him in midfield when the rest are all available and we are down a couple of CBs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

djPSB wrote: »
    Lallana did well, gave it everything.

Milner on the other hand was atrocious. So poor on the ball, first touch and crossing terrible. Our worst player today.

I'm no fan of Milner but he was far from our worst player today, Milner did today what he has made his career on 'putting in a shift'.
    Let it not be said he did'nt work his bollox off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

sure it will all be grand in the end

Shame that. I think that thread as a whole would have benefitted from your insight on these matters.

On the sole differences between opinions and statements ?

I reckon most of the lads in here are of an intellect standard to understand without me condescending them.

Just seems to be yourself that is struggling.

• Advertisement

If the last manager selected those penalty takers this thread would be very different.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

If the last manager selected those penalty takers this thread would be very different.

Penalty takers generally select themselves no matter what level of football you play at. If a lad doesn't want to take a pen there is nothing the manager can do. Sturridge obviously didn't fancy one and just because he is a striker doesn't mean he would be a good pen taker. Some of the best pen takers are defenders. The only one I'd question was lucas over henderson again I'd assume henderson didn't want one which is a poor indictment on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Point from my last post proven.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Did he select penalty takers?

They kind of select themselves. You give to the lads who want to take them.

(Edited- someone made same point two posts earlier)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

I'd assume henderson didn't want one which is a poor indictment on him.

... add to that the time he let Balotelli take the ball out his hands for the peno against Besiktas ... Capt my arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

I know that it has been said a lot but we really need a strong midfielder who controls the show. Can, Hendo and Milner are great at running and have good engines but they are not able to pull the strings that really make or break a game. We need someone like that.

And a gk too. Mig as a back up can be fine.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Reckon City had the better chances today and on the balance of things deserved their win. But I still think we could have nicked that on penalties, we had a chance to go 2-0 up and really pile the pressure on them. A few kicks later and suddenly we are 3-1 down and its all over.

For me I think we got it all wrong on the penalties. I would have liked to see Henderson take the first one just for leadership sake. Emre Can taking the first made me nervous but after he chipped it down the middle we had three saved because they were poor penalties and no excuses. They were all at the perfect height for the keeper and in the case of Coutinho he tried to get the keeper to dive and it didn't work. I can only assume the keeper did his homework on Coutinho and it got saved as a result.

I know penalties are a lot of pressure in a packed stadium but poor penalties at this level should be unacceptable. A professional footballer should be able to put it low and hard into the corner making it unsavable. If he doesn't do that then the keeper has every chance, as we found out. Its just very frustrating, we would have had City on the rack if we could have scored to go 2-0 up on penalties but instead we saw three drab ones in a row and suddenly that was that.

Henderson may be captain but not a leader.

I'm no fan of Milner but he was far from our worst player today, Milner did today what he has made his career on 'putting in a shift'.
    Let it not be said he did'nt work his bollox off.

Tried hard but he struggled badly with the basics of the game.

He should never be let take a set piece again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I know that it has been said a lot but we really need a strong midfielder who controls the show. Can, Hendo and Milner are great at running and have good engines but they are not able to pull the strings that really make or break a game. We need someone like that.

Grujic maybe?

I'm looking forward to seeing him next year. Also keeping Coutinho should be a top priority this summer. He'll be off at some stage to a Barcelona but he's still missing a bit of consistency and he'll get that with a good run in our first team as the main number 10. His no-look pass early on yesterday was quality...though maybe if he'd looked it would have been more accurate!

I'm surprised quite a few people are happy with Milner overall. Just because "he is not our worst player" and puts a shift in doesn't mean he has been good for us.....the guy was brought in for his experience and to be a starter in a midfield short of quality and experience. He offers very little quality in both attack and defense and is being paid top wages at the club. IMO he has been a poor addition to the team. Doesn't do enough for the wage he's on. Might be unfair but I think its true. Decent squad option but we need so much more.

Replace the GK with someone competent, get a decent competent player at LB and a quality CM and it will instantly make us a much better team. Add a striker and/or keep Sturridge fit and we all of a sudden look a decent side.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement