Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 15/16

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

A big problem with our team i feel,is that they dont trust each other,so are unsure,too cautious,panicky...

Nothing will change unless that does i feel,can see it in every game. No composure due to stress of uncertainty

I was just about to post this, couldn't agree more. Most of the team, at any given moment, seem to be trying to play all by themselves. Lack of leadership throughout the team, constant chopping and changing all season due to injuries, and a lack of quality in particular positions, esp. between the sticks, are all feeding into the disjointedness we're seeing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

mormank wrote: »
    Speaking of Lallana, as soon as he miscontrolled the football when the ref passed it to him for his penalty I just knew he was gonna miss. He was so nervous he couldn't even control a gentle pass when his touch and close control are his best attributes. I'm not sure if there is a precedent for this but if I was manager I would have stopped him taking one right then.

I've never seen it happen but that would be devastating for any player's confidence. Not saying it wouldn't have been the right call in this particular incident, but if you want to do some serious damage to your relationship with someone, that's a good way to start.

Coutinho's penalty was much worse IMO. He shifts his weight so much in the run up that he's practically straining to reach the ball, let alone hit it well. End result? An absolutely dreadful penalty. My biggest criticism is Milner and Henderson not taking them though, regardless of how any of our takers did.

In itself, it is indicative of the lack of leadership everyone is talking about. The question for Klopp, though, is where the hell do you find it? it's difficult to bring in leaders to a team, and better teams than ours are lacking them too.

I don't envy Klopp et al when it comes to transfers this summer because there are few players who have made themselves essential going forward into next season.

GK - the less said the better. Even if he makes some world class saves in a game, he still somehow cost us...
    RB - Clyne, Flanagan - fine
    LB - My patience with Moreno is gone. He's getting worse, not better. His defensive play is bad. I know modern full backs attack, but look at his contemporaries - Rose, Shaw, Azpilicueta, Monreal - they don't leave themselves open to the same issues.
    CB - Badly need organisation here. I'm at a loss as to who, but we need someone.
    CM - Again, desperately need an injection of talent. Im convinced that any of Lucas, Can, Henderson, Milner and Allen could play at a much higher level if they had a talented CM to play with, but they need someone to bring them a level. None of them are the leader.
    AM - They all want to play in the same position. It's infurtiating. Lallana looks better coming off the bench but clearly isn't of the same talent as Coutinho, etc. Though, that said, I won't be absolving Coutinho of all faults as he goes missing quite a bit when the chips are down.
    Firmino looks useless when Sturridge plays, so what to do there?
    WG - applications welcome for someone who can cross the f*cking ball.
    FR - Benteke, Sturridge, Origi, Ings... It may not be a bad batch but we don't seem to have the right systems/formations for any of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

My biggest problem with Moreno is his starting position is so far up the pitch he actually negates his pace because he is always ahead of the ball. If his starting position when the CB's had the ball was just a few yards ahead of them he would not only be an option for an out ball but he would not have to spend so much time sprinting back to his own goal. Thinking about it all our players have a tendency to move forward but then just stand still facing their own goal waiting for a pass. Because of these starting positions we rarely stretch teams, and isolate opposition players.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Seaba

Too early to go off topic a little?
    Can't paste this picture in for some reason so have to add it as an attachment.
    This did make me smile yesterday.
    Linda looking fantastic.
    As one contributor put it so simply a few months back, "nice smile, lovely rack"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

My biggest criticism is Milner and Henderson not taking them though, regardless of how any of our takers did.

In itself, it is indicative of the lack of leadership everyone is talking about. The question for Klopp, though, is where the hell do you find it? it's difficult to bring in leaders to a team, and better teams than ours are lacking them too.

At least Milner was going to take one though. I'd rather we have our best up front, but I can understand the approach of saving someone for that pressure penalty. It just meant that we never even got to that stage.

Henderson though...I'm gonna give him the benefit of the doubt that he had cramp or an injury or something, but if not, he realllly should have been taking one.

That stutter Coutinho was going for works so much of the time, with the keeper making a move so you can just pass it the other side, but it looks bloody awful if they stand firm like Caballero did.

Can understand Origi not taking one, despite being a striker, as his record is pretty bad with them (a little over 50% success rate)

Looking at the 5 names though, they weren't names to inspire confidence. My picks probably would have been; Can, Milner, Henderson, Sturridge, Coutinho. Or maybe Lallana for Coutinho for penalty taking ability alone, but there's just something about Lallana that always make me worry about him in clutch situations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

Missed the game and only caught highlights today. Have to say the goal we conceded had me shaking my head - that's at least the second time this season Mignolet has conceded a goal trying to get his hands on a low driven ball when he should have used his feet.

A new keeper is top priority in the summer.

Ardent wrote: »
    Missed the game and only caught highlights today. Have to say the goal we conceded had me shaking my head - that's at least the second time this season Mignolet has conceded a goal trying to get his hands on a low driven ball when he should have used his feet.

Drove me nuts! Like, the ball went exactly where his foot had been planted half a second before. He actively moved it out of the way to try and drop down to catch - why!??! He was in a good position to begin with, and then just capitulated into himself instead of just standing firm, and getting something on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

mormank wrote: »
    Speaking of Lallana, as soon as he miscontrolled the football when the ref passed it to him for his penalty I just knew he was gonna miss. He was so nervous he couldn't even control a gentle pass when his touch and close control are his best attributes. I'm not sure if there is a precedent for this but if I was manager I would have stopped him taking one right then.

From what i remember he tried to do some sort of a fancy flick, ****ed it and looked like a twat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Several sources running articles tonight including Barrett implying that Klopp will offload Benteke (apparently China was on the phone during January) and is looking at Mario Götze, Piotr Zielinski, Udinese midfielder and Ben Chilwell Leicester City left back and a keeper is also on the agenda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Several sources running articles tonight including Barrett implying that Klopp will offload Benteke (apparently China was on the phone during January) and is looking at Mario Götze, Piotr Zielinski, Udinese midfielder and Ben Chilwell Leicester City left back and a keeper is also on the agenda.

China? Happy days. We could actually make a profit on him!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭Damien360

Ardent wrote: »

One mistake. I dislike him but he played really well for the game bar that one that went under him. For once he looked comfortable under a cross. He appeared to be in command.

The better team won and sterling should have wrapped it up earlier. Clyne kept him quiet for most the game and the cover for him when he went forward (did that a lot) looked good.

Looking forward to Klopp rebuild in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

When Lucas and Toure were at CB there doesn't feel like a since of panic, odd considering the pairing but it's the most solid partnership we've had this season.

Been heavily linked again to Götze tonight on Twitter, do people think we realistically have a chance of getting a Götze, Gundagon, Ter Stegen? I think we've a better chance with Klopp but I've never been convinced by Götze!

When Lucas and Toure were at CB there doesn't feel like a since of panic, odd considering the pairing but it's the most solid partnership we've had this season.

Been heavily linked again to Götze tonight on Twitter, do people think we realistically have a chance of getting a Götze, Gundagon, Ter Stegen? I think we've a better chance with Klopp but I've never been convinced by Götze!

Gundogan I think no chance. Too good, and to many better teams could do with him. Ter Stegen, maybe...he's only playing cup football for Barca, and most of the top clubs are sorted with keepers, so might be tempted by a move.

Gotze is an interesting one...would be a tremendous addition for us, though his fitness is an issue. Also the reason we'd have a chance of nabbing him I think. Might be worth the risk.

Sturridge with Coutinho, Firmino and Gotze behind him would be unreal, with 2 more solid midfielders behind them. Maybe Grujic and Can if Henderson's form doesn't improve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Hopefully we don't sell Benteke first thing when the window opens, give him a chance to play v Ireland in the Euros first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Gotze was immense for Dortmund, he is your 10+10 goals and assists (and more) man when fit and firing.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/jurgen-klopp-promised-funds-for-spending-spree-to-bolster-liverpool-squad-34500067.html

Klopp set to have access to more funds than any of his predecessors say the Indo (copied and pasted from the Telegraph)

Says GK, CB, LB, Zielinski and Gotze are the targets to go with Grujic and Matip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Interesting summer ahead with Euro 2016 impacting on deals. The hardiest part for Klopp will be selling the deadwood he no longer wants. I would be confident we would recoup a lot of the Benteke money. Lets hope the Chinese still have an interest in their Super League in the summer.

Balotelli will go on a free no doubt.
    Moreno still get ok money for him.
    Lallana I'd sell & see can we recoup 2/3 of his fee (English premium) but his age against us.
    Sktrel/Lovern get what we can & move on.

The interesting one is Sturridge, I would sell at the right price (£25mill) but only if we had a proven goalscorer incoming & they are hard to find. But I reckon Klopp is considering it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

It would be madness to sell Sturridge if Benteke and Balotelli are also going out the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Anyone think Kloop left it too late to make changes the last day? Origi should have been on about 10/15 minutes sooner than he was. Sturridge was struggling all day being the only one up top and kept having to come back for the ball because of how poorly coutinho and firminho were playing. He seems to be slow to make changes when its obvious the game is going away from us. He was the same against united at home, left it waaay too late to get anything from that game. Is this a trait of his?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/jurgen-klopp-promised-funds-for-spending-spree-to-bolster-liverpool-squad-34500067.html

Klopp set to have access to more funds than any of his predecessors say the Indo (copied and pasted from the Telegraph)

Says GK, CB, LB, Zielinski and Gotze are the targets to go with Grujic and Matip.
    So a near total rebuild to be carried out this season again?

It's worked out so well for us in the past 4 seasons:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Looks that away, keep throwing enough **** at it, it will eventually stick.

Tbf, the media is also reporting that Arsenal will sell 5 and sign 6 this summer. Which is very different to the approach Arsene has taken in each of the last 20 years.

Klopp might be given some cash but hopefully it will be used well on minor surgery than spread across the squad, but I doubt it. Especially when you consider where the major weaknesses are. Every time I try to identify one or two positions to focus on, I end up identifying the whole f*cking squad.

Gk, Lb, Cb, Cm, Am/Wg, St.

That's the minimum I can see that we need work on - if Klopp was to limit himself to just 2 or 3 new players, which positions do you sacrifice!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I reckon skrtel allen benteke and lallana are on the way out for sure. Mignolet will drop to the bench as 2nd keeper (no problem with this) and i reckon lovren and moreno could be kept in the squad. Think ibe needs a loan and marcovic will be back.

Matip grujic stegan new lb and goetze would have me very excited for next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I think Lalana will stay. Klopp has played him in the majority of the games since he came in.

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Anyone think Kloop left it too late to make changes the last day? Origi should have been on about 10/15 minutes sooner than he was. Sturridge was struggling all day being the only one up top and kept having to come back for the ball because of how poorly coutinho and firminho were playing. He seems to be slow to make changes when its obvious the game is going away from us. He was the same against united at home, left it waaay too late to get anything from that game. Is this a trait of his?

I'd have had Origi on the moment City scored and moved Milner to left back then bring on Lallana for one of Coutinho/Firmino. Sturridge is nowhere near ready for two hours of football esp toiling alone.

As for the late subbing, someone elsewhere suggested that Klopp is trying to stick to a basic formation and see how various players really fit (or not) 4-3-2-1 so we are not going to see much of two up top which in turn makes me wonder if the 4th striker is just something we want but not what Klopp needs. Ongoing mentions for Gotze suggest he'll be attempting to come up with a very fluid supporting cast for a single centre forward.

• Advertisement

emmetkenny wrote: »
    I think Lalana will stay. Klopp has played him in the majority of the games since he came in.

He also along with origi made a tired sturridge more of a threat on Sunday, can't see klopp selling him.

I'd keep Lallana too unless a very good offer came in for him, he'll be 28 by the summer so I don't see huge resale value in him and to be honest Liverpool is going to be the pinnacle of his career so I could see him accepting a bit part role. He is generally quite effective off the bench just I wouldn't be starting him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

I'd have had Origi on the moment City scored and moved Milner to left back then bring on Lallana for one of Coutinho/Firmino. Sturridge is nowhere near ready for two hours of football esp toiling alone.

As for the late subbing, someone elsewhere suggested that Klopp is trying to stick to a basic formation and see how various players really fit (or not) 4-3-2-1 so we are not going to see much of two up top which in turn makes me wonder if the 4th striker is just something we want but not what Klopp needs. Ongoing mentions for Gotze suggest he'll be attempting to come up with a very fluid supporting cast for a single centre forward.

Thats a bit of a worry no? Not being that flexible with his tactics. Is that what got Dortmund into trouble? Him not being flexible enough to change formation and eventually teams found a way to play against them? I didn't see enough of Dortmund or Klopp to say if he's able to change formation to swing games in his favour when its not working. Is he able to adapt his tactics?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Tbf, the media is also reporting that Arsenal will sell 5 and sign 6 this summer. Which is very different to the approach Arsene has taken in each of the last 20 years

Tbf, that's lazy journalism with Arsenal at this stage. They do what they do in February and a 'war chest' becomes available. Come August they buy a lad from Afghanistan with a broken back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

I think thats a fair criticism for the last game.....not sure if its a trait though.

Both games versus Augsburg Origi was on for Danny around the 60. Same against Aston Villa. Against West Ham he brought both Origi and Sturridge on in the 58 min @ 1-1. Benteke came on in the 66 min when we went 1-0 to Leicester a few minutes before. He makes calls reactively and proactively, sometimes good or poor. Doesn't stand out that he leaves it too late often enough to be a problem/trait IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭doc_17

If it was only going to be say 4 signings that could slip into the first team then I'd prefer him to focus on a keeper, CB, centre midfielder and striker. Hpefully in Matip we have found one of those signings.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Tbf, that's lazy journalism with Arsenal at this stage. They do what they do in February and a 'war chest' becomes available. Come August they buy a lad from Afghanistan with a broken back.

Well that was my point - it is lazy. Just as its lazy to say Liverpool players who the fans want out will all leave.

There is no actual insight or analysis just reprinting of the same rumours.

There is no indication that Klopp will or wont sign or sell 10 players. As it stands, he doesn't seem to favour a handful of players, who will likely be replaced. We can't say any more than that - but the papers print it like its f*cking gospel.

Thats a bit of a worry no? Not being that flexible with his tactics. Is that what got Dortmund into trouble? Him not being flexible enough to change formation and eventually teams found a way to play against them? I didn't see enough of Dortmund or Klopp to say if he's able to change formation to swing games in his favour when its not working. Is he able to adapt his tactics?

It could be, Klopp has gone two up only a few times from the start which is a pity as I really want to see Sturridge and Origi work in tandem but I think the manager wants to control the game from the middle rather than try to overload attack as a policy. Of course with Henderson and Can as the central two of the middle three he is particularly poorly served at the moment.

Something like this, with a wide man as the back up formation.

GK
    Clyne--Matip--Sakho--(Moreno or whoever!)
    Xhaka
    Zielinski-Coutinho
    ----Firmino
    Gotze
    Sturridge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Sturridge out of City game according to Twitter

Good, poor lamb needs a rest and Origi can start hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Sturridge out of City game according to Twitter

There's a surprise...

It had looked like he'd injured his tear ducts on Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

That's about 3.6 games this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Lucas is out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Very start, Klopp says Lucas is out. Injured when taking the penalty, apparently.

Doesn't know about Sakho yet. Sturridge has cramp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Knex. wrote: »
    Very start, Klopp says Lucas is out. Injured when taking the penalty, apparently.

Doesn't know about Sakho yet. Sturridge has cramp.

Normally id laugh at cramp. But with lady glass it could be fatal...

Cramp? What sort of girls do we have playing for the club, that match was on Sunday ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I'd rather Sturridge was available for the United games, than the largely meaningless City PL game.

He couldn't walk at the end of the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

He has been out for the best part of 18 months played Thurs and 120 mins sunday. I'm delighted it seems to be just cramp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

He has been out for the best part of 18 months played Thurs and 120 mins sunday. I'm delighted it seems to be just cramp.
    Once he doesn't miss the match in 28 days time with cramp again, we should be ok...

Knex. wrote: »
    I'd rather Sturridge was available for the United games, than the largely meaningless City PL game.

He couldn't walk at the end of the final.

He'd only relearned how to walk before it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Sturridge is an embarrasment. I dont know how he can hold his head up walking around. Such a shame.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Sturridge is an embarrasment. I dont know how he can hold his head up walking around. Such a shame.

Back from long injury and recovery, played a fairly intense match, extra time to boot. The human body is not a magical thing that can be expected to back to 100% and quick recovery after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

What Boom_Bap said. I wouldn't have played him again so soon anyway. He needs easing back into games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    The human body is not a magical thing that can be expected to back to 100% and quick recovery after that.

Ran around for 120 mins on Sunday (did not play well). Cannot play again on Wednesday

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement