Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 15/16

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Ran around for 120 mins on Sunday (did not play well). Cannot play again on Wednesday

I see what you are saying, but I fail to see why this is an embarrasment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I see what you are saying, but I fail to see why this is an embarrasment?

He's supposed to be an elite professional athlete. Playing one long game prevents him playing three full days later, with all the sports science, medical professionals and cushy lifestyle behind him. Thats embarassing for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

Ran around for 120 mins on Sunday (did not play well). Cannot play again on Wednesday

With his recent track record I think it is prudent to rest him on Wednesday.

I think a lot of people here assume it's a case of Sturridge not wanting or being able to play but perhaps the physios and medical staff and/or Klopp is just managing the situation properly? Why risk him getting another injury if giving him a longer recovery is the right thing to do?

I think a lot of people here assume it's a case of Sturridge not wanting or being able to play but perhaps the physios and medical staff and/or Klopp is just managing the situation properly? Why risk him getting another injury if giving him a longer recovery is the right thing to do?

That is actually a valid point. I understood this as being of of those (supposedly many) situations where Sturridge says he 'cant play'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Once he doesn't miss the match in 28 days time with cramp again, we should be ok...

Don't think we've a game that Night..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Thats a bit of a worry no? Not being that flexible with his tactics. Is that what got Dortmund into trouble? Him not being flexible enough to change formation and eventually teams found a way to play against them? I didn't see enough of Dortmund or Klopp to say if he's able to change formation to swing games in his favour when its not working. Is he able to adapt his tactics?

I don't think so. I think he knows this season is about figuring out what players suit what he needs to do and preparing them for next year. He'll know who doesn't suit it but if we played 2 up top or didn't focus on the style of football that he wants us to play then its pretty much wasted training sessions/game time when it comes to a long term project.

Some people have been disappointed in Klopps impact so far but for me there have been some great signs. I can see Emre becoming a superstar for us, he's not consistent but we forget how young he is and if that consistency comes then he'll be sensational. We've seen some amazing link up play between Danny, firmino and Coutinho in the brief time they've got to play together.

If we can supplement the current squad with 2-3 really superb players and move the likes of Henderson, Milner, Lalanna to the bench then we'll have a quality team. And a quality bench. Tbh outside of Benteke (we'll get good money for him still imo) and Skittles (dropping a senior player to 4-5th choice would be bad for morale and thats where he belongs), I don't really want us to sell any players. Even Mignolet can stay if he's prepared to be backup. If Spurs could get Vorm as backup and Chelsea can get Begovic surely we can keep Mig.

This season has reminded me a lot of Rafas first season in that there's glimpses of what could be but the consistency is nowhere to be found. Tho maybe thats just a lazy comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

QUIDS IN! Liverpool post £60m profit for 2014/15
    The club's commercial revenue increased by 12 per cent to £116.3m following the announcement of 12 new partnerships and renewals and the opening of 180 new retail outlets worldwide.

Media revenue grew from £100.9m to £122.6m due to Champions League participation in the 2014-15 Champions League and reaching the semi-finals of the FA and League Cups, which also had the knock-on effect of boosting matchday revenue by 15.9 per cent to £59m because of the additional matches and hospitality income.

The accounts show owners Fenway Sports Group wrote off a £69m loan by converting it into equity, while also investing £49m in stadium expansion costs with the renovated, increased capacity Main Stand due to open for the start of next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Sturridge is an embarrasment. I dont know how he can hold his head up walking around. Such a shame.

I actually think his neck is fine, to be fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Plenty of money for jurgen in the summer so going by them figures

Sturridge is an embarrasment. I dont know how he can hold his head up walking around. Such a shame.

Embarrassment to who? As has already been said it would be madness to start him even if he was fit. He needs to be managed differently than other players. Clearly his body isn't able to take the strain of playing every single game. With proper management we could have him fit when we need him instead of rushing him back and him being perma crocked. Look at what rushing him back and playing through the pain did to Nando.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

ricero wrote: »
    Plenty of money for jurgen in the summer so going by them figures

Nope all that money was spent by Rodgers on rubbish! :D

But the underlying finances are solid in that without the Suarez cash there would still have been a small profit, projecting forward over the next two seasons 2015/16 2016/17 will see the Sterling money, the end of capital spending on the stadium and the money from extra seats plus the sale of Benteke (and hopefully Balo) to China. Plus the new TV deal cash of course.

Very positive to be making profit during construction :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Moreno is going to make someone's left wing very happy someday.

I'd be sorry to see him go despite his defensive deficiencies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,122 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Good gosh no, I'd drive him anywhere just to get rid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Maybe the Anti-Austerity-Alliance: Poeple before profit should get him to run in the next election. We all know he's a willing runner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

Why the hell would you get rid of Moreno? Definitely buy another Lb, but sell him and we are one injury away from playing players out of position again. The only players we should be looking to sell are the ones that are not contributing to the team in any way. The likes of Balotelli, Alberto and Enrique.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

mav79 wrote: »
    Why the hell would you get rid of Moreno? Definitely buy another Lb, but sell him and we are one injury away from playing players out of position again. The only players we should be looking to sell are the ones that are not contributing to the team in any way. The likes of Balotelli, Alberto and Enrique.

I'd agree in general, but Gomez, Smith and Flanno are fine as backups.

If we did get someone else in, good enough to slot into the first 11, I don't think there'd be much harm in getting rid of Moreno.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Just to clarify, I don't see Moreno as a LB. Think he can become quite an effective winger further up the pitch with a competent LB behind him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Moreno is the only outlet with pace in the team most days the lad is more winger than LB these days he isn't doing that on his own initiative I think we might see a different Moreno if there was a proper winger in front of him then he could concentrate more on defending than being the outlet.

I wouldn't be in a rush to sell the lad there is nothing wrong having him as a squad player if we can get an upgrade on him in.

Moreno is the only outlet with pace in the team most days the lad is more winger than LB these days he isn't doing that on his own initiative I think we might see a different Moreno if there was a proper winger in front of him then he could concentrate more on defending than being the outlet.

I wouldn't be in a rush to sell the lad there is nothing wrong having him as a squad player if we can get an upgrade on him in.

I think as we saw with Riera under Rafa, it doesn't take much quality to fulfill a tactical role (although he wasn't disastrously bad either).

One would hope we can get someone who fulfills the width quotient of the team while also not being atrocious at football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Moreno can dribble quickly, and not consistently.

This is nowhere near enough to make him an effective winger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Chelsea a point ahead of is now.

Best league in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

James and Isco are available for transfer next summer, according to Marca:)

http://www.marca.com/futbol/real-madrid/2016/03/01/56d53599268e3e92038b459e.html

We have been heavily linked with Isco in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

noodler wrote: »

Every time he attempts a cross, God kills a kitten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

corwill wrote: »
    Every time he attempts a cross, God kills a kitten.

His attempted high crosses for Benteke etc have been woeful, but his low crosses/pullbacks have gotten much better I think, catering more to Sturridge, Firmino etc.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    His attempted high crosses for Benteke etc have been woeful, but his low crosses/pullbacks have gotten much better I think, catering more to Sturridge, Firmino etc.

I think that's just what he does.

He boots the ball aimlessly with a degree of pace along the ground pretty much the same way the whole time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I wouldn't single him out for his crosses. Milner seems to hit it as hard and fast as possible across the ground before he falls over almost every time. Lallana spins around until the defence are organised then floats on into the keepers hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

The Tuscan club has reached an agreement in principal with Joao Carlos Teixeira, a promising trequartista born in 1993 who currently plays for Liverpool. Teixeira's contract with the Reds expires in June of 2016, and he's not expected to extend his contract with Klopp's club. Fiorentina has sent representatives to England after the player was suggested by coach Paulo Sousa who appreciates his qualities. Fiorentina got to work right away to sign Teixeira, a clear sign they want to continue their relationship with Paulo Sousa despite the interest from Zenit and other foreign clubs. Fiorentina is looking to the future, Teixeira could be the first addition for next season.
    http://gianlucadimarzio.com/en/eng/fiorentina-has-agreement-in-principle-with-liverpools-teixeira/

Disappointing. We're not giving him chances though.

That being the case, i'd like us to move for a more athletic, quick, physical, skillful kind of guy to come into that attacking support role. Marko could be it if he bulks up from last year. I want Bolasie with better vision/awareness basically.

• Advertisement

Disappointing. We're not giving him chances though.

As with Pacheco and Suso, I don't think that's an accident.

If he was good enough I think Klopp or Rodgers would've given him the chance he supposedly deserved.

He's been here 4 years so it's not like he's getting screwed over the shuffle between managers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

James and Isco are available for transfer next summer, according to Marca:)

http://www.marca.com/futbol/real-madrid/2016/03/01/56d53599268e3e92038b459e.html

We have been heavily linked with Isco in the past.

The 'Ronnie' effect.

Gbear wrote: »
    As with Pacheco and Suso, I don't think that's an accident.

If he was good enough I think Klopp or Rodgers would've given him the chance he supposedly deserved.

He's been here 4 years so it's not like he's getting screwed over the shuffle between managers.

Yeah, I mean he's like Coutinho/Firmino, but just not as good. Difficult position to be in. This is an opportunity for that place to be filled by someone a bit different though. Maybe Ojo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

noodler wrote: »

I tell you what, if you want your LB to run full speed straight into an opponent with the ball and fall down Moreno right up there.......

On a side note, I ****ing love watching this Leicester team. I think we could take a lesson from how they play. Instead of throwing the same style of football at the opponent over and over, they change it up. Behind against a Tony Pulis 10 behind the ball team, and they still break through twice within the half.

They have their strengths, but they don't necessarily use the same tactic over and over again, they have different players making different types of runs. They go long sometimes, spread it wide sometimes, thread it through, dribble it, drill it in, shots from inside or outside the box with players following up - we could really do with copying their variations in style.

<edit> typically I jinx them as WBA score a perfect free kick. Point still stands though! And i've no doubt we'll see more of it as they push for another winner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

NukaCola wrote: »
    I tell you what, if you want your LB to run full speed straight into an opponent with the ball and fall down Moreno right up there.......

FYP :pac:

• Advertisement

Well, that's Chelsea finally ahead of us.
    (We do have 2 games in hand though)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Sturridge couldn't take a penalty due to cramp but managed to climb all those steps for a runners up medal and a cry.
    Flanagan should start against City. Hope we don't throw away rest of the season, beat city and we are 6 pts off 4th . Easy run in on paper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Well, that's Chelsea finally ahead of us.
    (We do have 2 games in hand though)

It's scary that we are a fair bit closer to the relegation zone than Leicester at the top.

Sturridge is back, and playing, do we really need to keep giving him ****? can't we just be a bit happy that he's there?

Sturridge is back, and playing, do we really need to keep giving him ****? can't we just be a bit happy that he's there?

Some people are like a dog with a bone.

You'd swear some people involved with Liverpool have personally come around to some of the posters on here's houses and taken a **** in their flower beds.

Relentless. And not even in dishing criticism but more just being negative whiny dickheads.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I saw this on twitter.
    Crystal Palace haven't won a Premier League game since December:

DDLLLLLDLLD

Points won: 4
    Goals: 8
    Conceded: 21

They must be delighted to be playing us then on Sunday. Guaranteed 3 points for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Teixeira off to fiorentina in the summer according to the newspapers, joao that is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Chelsea a point ahead of is now.

Best league in the world.

Chelsea and Everton now ahead of us
    Just shows how Chelsea players downed tools under mourinho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

5starpool wrote: »
    I saw this on twitter.

They must be delighted to be playing us then on Sunday. Guaranteed 3 points for them.

I think you will find all them results coincide with bolasi being injured
    He should be fit to start next weekend 😰

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I think you will find all them results coincide with bolasi being injured
    He should be fit to start next weekend &#55357;&#56880;

Hold up... Is that a normal emoji after making its way to boards?!

No wonder the site keeps crashing :pac:

Why do people keep talking about Sturridge crying? Did the same with Sakho in the match thread... imagine a player wanting to win and being emotional when it doesn't happen. They'll be lambasting them as mercenaries that don't care about anything but their paycheck next week...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Why do people keep talking about Sturridge crying? Did the same with Sakho in the match thread... imagine a player wanting to win and being emotional when it doesn't happen. They'll be lambasting them as mercenaries that don't care about anything but their paycheck next week...

I'd rather he showed he wanted to win by being more available to play rather than showing tears for the cameras as he's collecting his medal.

monkey9 wrote: »
    I'd rather he showed he wanted to win by being more available to play rather than showing tears for the cameras as he's collecting his medal.

Tears for the cameras? Bit harsh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

monkey9 wrote: »

Players just can't win can they?

He played on Sunday and was hurt by the loss.

Now he's being managed after coming back from long term injury I don't see why he's being criticised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

klose wrote: »
    Teixeira off to fiorentina in the summer according to the newspapers, joao that is.
    It's sad that we're losing him, but it's not like he hasn't been given a chance. I know a lot of folks will say that 7 games isn't enough time to judge a player, but realistically, we're not really in a position where we can afford to wait for a 23 year old player to prove themselves. I do wish Joao the best of luck though. He is a decent player, he will suit Serie A and I think he will have a nice career. Unfortunately, that career won't be in a top 6 Premier League club.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement