Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 15/16

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Live FA youth cup game.

Good timing! Clicked it about 10 seconds before Masterson scored for pool!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Is that forward who can't stay fit now fit again for the game on Sunday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Looking at Markovic's league records he could be the new Zlatan winning league titles every where he goes if Fenerbahce keep up there form it will be his 5th league title in 6 seasons at the age of 22.

Probably jinxed him now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

T-K-O wrote: »
    Off to bed Grandad :D

Still up and be jealous as I have great memories of Liverpool winning the league and European cup on a regular basis that most here don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

murpho999 wrote: »
    Still up and be jealous as I have great memories of Liverpool winning the league and European cup on a regular basis that most hear don't.

That's impressive..

But can you use a smart phone?

Charlie19 wrote: »
    That's impressive..

But can you use a smart phone?

FFS yes, in my forties not eighties.

FFS yes, in my forties not eighties.

Come on now, tell the truth.:D

Joking obviously..

I'm not far behind you, I don't remember any of the 80's European cups but I do remember Kenny playing.

Joking obviously..

I'm not far behind you, I don't remember any of the 80's European cups but I do remember Kenny playing.

How can that be as they both happened at the same time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Joking obviously..

I remember being depressed that Keegan was going to Hamburg but thrilled that Dalglish was being signed for £440.

I even remember Toshack.

I think?

:pac:

• Advertisement

I remember being depressed that Keegan was going to Hamburg but thrilled that Dalglish was being signed for £440.

I even remember Toshack.

I think?

:pac:

21 May 1977, my 7th Birthday. My Dad took me to the pub on the Saturday afternoon to watch the FA Cup final.
    Liverpool lost 2-1 against Man Utd but there was something about how they played that I loved and also I didn't like how the Utd supporters were that made me like Liverpool and I have supported them ever since.
    4 Days later I saw them win their first European Cup.
    So 39 years this year, not bad but the first 13 years were the most successful. Hearing people now talk about Top 4 as success is frustrating for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Because that's not how memory works. I remember the League Cup final in 2003 (heh), but I don't remember what I did the day after.

I remember Kenny as player manager, about 86/87/89.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I remember Kenny as player manager, about 86/87/89.

I vaguely recall the 84 European cup final. I have some earlier Liverpool memories but not many. From about the double season on I have better football memories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Personally I never enjoyed watching Liverpool, or got as excited about football even, as I did in 13/14. Its such a shame it all fell apart and amazing really how quickly it did.

Suarez, Sterling sold. Sturridge broken.Carragher, Gerrard gone. Stoke 5-1 and Rodgers sacked.

We played some wonderfull football that year, thtt was one of the best Liverpool teams.

It looking promising and is getting exciting again now. Kloppo building a new team from the bones of the previous and Markovic, Matip and Grujic coming in with other names being linked.

People have been devaluing the Europa Cup but you can be damn sure both United and Liverpool will be desperate to progress to the quarter finals. Should be two crackers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Saint n greavsie was where it was at those days,lived for that show,never heard of kenny before he signed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

On pure natural talent I think it was terrific to watch Barnes, McManaman and Fowler in the same team in the early-mid 90's

3 players who you think everytime they got the ball, something is going to happen. Most teams are lucky to have 1 player like that.

Even though the leagues had dried up it was good to watch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

5starpool wrote: »
    I vaguely recall the 84 European cup final. I have some earlier Liverpool memories but not many. From about the double season on I have better football memories.

First goal of any description I can ever recall - a moment frozen in time forever - is Alan Kennedy's winning goal vs Real Madrid in 1981. Looking back on it years later it didn't seem as impressive as it did in my youth but that goal and seeing that red strip stuck with me and I've been a fan ever since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

mosstin wrote: »
    First goal of any description I can ever recall - a moment frozen in time forever - is Alan Kennedy's winning goal vs Real Madrid in 1981. Looking back on it years later it didn't seem as impressive as it did in my youth but that goal and seeing that red strip stuck with me and I've been a fan ever since.

And now to make you feel old...

First goal I remember vividly is Michael Owen vs Wimbledon on the closing day of the 96/97 season.

I have flashes of the 1995 FA Cup Final but nothing clear.

I probably remember goals scored before Owen's goal that season, but I'm not aware that they were scored earlier in the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Well, he played 85-87 also so not the same time.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Stoke 5-1

The thought of Charlie Adam sliding across the grass celebrating, belly wobbling, smile emphasising his double chin, still haunts me........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

And now to make you feel old...

First goal I remember vividly is Michael Owen vs Wimbledon on the closing day of the 96/97 season.

I have flashes of the 1995 FA Cup Final but nothing clear.

I probably remember goals scored before Owen's goal that season, but I'm not aware that they were scored earlier in the season.

Chiseller!

Roma, 84', is my earliest memory, watching it with my auld lad, my Mam giving out to him for effing when Souness was flagged offside just after Phil Neal's goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

thread making me feel so young.

A quick look at Zielinski, who we are being linked with for a Summer transfer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

First Liverpool game watched: 1988 FA Cup Final. Sickened when Aldo missed his penalty.

Following season I remember watching Liverpool every week (it seemed) at 3pm on Sports Stadium on the Saturday, or on Sunday on ITV/BBC at my grandparents place - it seemed like they played Arsenal a lot for some reason? Clearly remember watching Hillsborough unfold live, getting home from my brothers communion just in time to switch on the telly and see Aldo running onto a through ball to lob Southall and make it 1-0 over Everton in the FA Cup Final. Won that one 3-2 AET. Then being totally sickened by Michael Thomas' goal to win Arsenal the league.

Great times to be a young fella, following Liverpool and the national team. How times have changed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Saint n greavsie was where it was at those days,lived for that show,never heard of kenny before he signed.

I remember saint & greavsie, every week greavsie would have the same joke about Scottish goalkeepers and both would guffaw heartily. Top bantz before bantz was a thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

I have vague recollections of being at Liverpool v Man U in 1979, but the 1st game I can really remember was the 1981 League Cup Final v West Ham. Alan Kennedy scored with 2 mins to go in extra time only for the Hammers to score with a penalty kick with the last kick of the game :( I remember being devastated and convinced we would lose the replay.

I'll throw another name out there for best Liverpool player. Graeme Souness. It's between him, Kenny and Barnes for my No 1 of all time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

I remember one game I was at back in 37 just before the war............!!

Do I win?.. What's the prize..

Following LFC 43 years and I'll never, ever ever forget being at Anfield the night we beat Chelski in the 05 semi,

PS, grown men do cry..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Did anyone watch a decent amount of Markovic while on loan? Any opinions?

He didn't seem to make a huge impression - seemed to be on the bench quite a bit.

Benimar wrote: »
    I have vague recollections of being at Liverpool v Man U in 1979, but the 1st game I can really remember was the 1981 League Cup Final v West Ham. Alan Kennedy scored with 2 mins to go in extra time only for the Hammers to score with a penalty kick with the last kick of the game :( I remember being devastated and convinced we would lose the replay.

I'll throw another name out there for best Liverpool player. Graeme Souness. It's between him, Kenny and Barnes for my No 1 of all time.
    Souness was majestic in his prime. He could do it all, from passing and shooting to tackling and outright thuggery when required.

The best single player I have seen playing at the club with Dalglish, Rush and Molby not far behind.

Where he falls down for me was the short time he spent at the club and the absolute hames he made of managing the club and that bo**oxing of an interview with the rag after his heart attack:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I was round my best friends house to watch the 1974 FA Cup final and that was the moment I became a fan.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

For once, a thread on boards where I don't end up feeling really old (just somewhat old).

Watching Koln v Schalke - think Norwich 4 v 5 Liverpool. Its 1-2 to Matips side but could be any score you like, its madly open. No tactics at all really. Matip looks useful as a distributor out from the back and at corners. He and Modeste are having a good battle, Max Meyer is the star turn though - lovely to watch but really a No 10 I think Liverpool may have enough of them! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Watching Koln v Schalke - think Norwich 4 v 5 Liverpool. Its 1-2 to Matips side but could be any score you like, its madly open. No tactics at all really. Matip looks useful as a distributor out from the back and at corners. He and Modeste are having a good battle, Max Meyer is the star turn though - lovely to watch but really a No 10 I think Liverpool may have enough of them! :pac:

Crazy good young player. Very few weaknesses, strong and incredibly skillful. Would be delighted if we bought him and shifter on Lalanna.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,122 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I was round my best friends house to watch the 1974 FA Cup final and that was the moment I became a fan.

My uncle-in-law drove the coach that day apparently. Daft as a brush from Birkenhead, never believed him until he produced the program and a few pics on one of his visits over here. Claims Keegan threw him in a shower but not sure if I believe THAT!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,086 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Ditto, watched the 74 final with my grand dad, he was an Arsenal fan, but really followed the Irish players abroad, told me to keep an eye on this Heighway lad - he was right! Fan ever since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Jaysus lads, are you's alright for your Werthers Originals or do you need me to pop out to the shops for more?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

monkey9 wrote: »
    Jaysus lads, are you's alright for your Werthers Originals or do you need me to pop out to the shops for more?

Jesus, I remember the last time I had one was watching the '74 final ! !

I think the age profile of this thread has revealed rather starkly Liverpool's problem!

What was the question?

• Advertisement

Can i reveal myself as a member of the old(ish) farts brigade too? Became a fan after the 1977 cup final. Was outraged by the poxiest goal ever scored at wembley, the macari greenhoff deflected atrocity, and as a result felt sorry for the merseyside men.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

giphy.gif

Picked a good night to come back. How's everyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

jays us lads, I well rembebr the 30-0 defeat of man city on Wednesday 2016. Dem ere d days alright .

Massive game tomorrow. Game of the weekend and have no doubt about taut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Ciano35

Video of when the kop sang happy birthday to Kenny :Dhttps://www.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10154122142647573&id=67920382572

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

This thread and been practically respectful and friendly of late. Thank god we've a match today to sort that out.

Vicxas wrote: »
    This thread and been practically respectful and friendly of late. Thank god we've a match today to sort that out.

**** off.

• Advertisement

Mandatory Liverpool V Crystal Palace piece of nostalgia:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Adebayor will start, according to BBC. And he's looking for a contract come June. And they have Bolasie back.

Hold me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Clyne, Sturridge and Coutinho on the bench? Thought they would start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Good to see Klopp keeping faith in most of the players from mid week, hopefully they repay it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

I'm up since 4am ( couldn't sleep after the Conor fight ). I've we dont beat this lot I'll be doing this later .

vTWrVP0.gif

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement