Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 15/16

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

OwaynOTT wrote:
    I rather all our players were good enough to make the squad of the top international teams.

While I agree that I want players who are good enough to make top squads I hate the idea of losing these players

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    It's not all bad. Shows that his performances lately have improved enough that he gets in th Brazil squad.
    I rather all our players were good enough to make the squad of the top international teams.

I'm being selfish on Liverpools part. It'll be a long trip which takes its toll. I'd much rather he stayed behind. He's looking like our most importantly player atm and I'd like to keep him fit and well!

Will 7th get a Europa spot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Delighted with the points, if not the performance before the sending off.

Speaking of which, that's as moronic a tackle as you'll see. Unreal. All because he fell over in their box and was butthurt at his own uselessness.

I liked the fight for the last 20 minutes. We play until the end in way we didn't since Suarez left.

I liked Coutinho's willingness to run at the Palace defence, even in spurts, when he came on. The effect that had can't be underestimated.

I liked Lovren's performance. He still gives me the shíts at times (that sliding tackle on Souaré in the corner). He took responsibility though, particularly in defending crosses and set pieces. Nobody else seemed to.

I liked Can's presence in the centre. He still makes silly decisions, and likes a sideways pass too often when he's capable of more, but he's very authoritative at a young age.

The balance still looks so awkward, so often. We've too many players who take too much out of the ball, and too many who like to recycle the ball endlessly, rather than take a risk. As I said earlier, Coutinho's willingness to run at the defence, and even shoot, makes a difference. Without that, we're painfully predictable. Palace could just overload the centre and wait for our inevitable failed cross after being forces to play it wide.

An incisive, productive winger will make a huge difference, as will a consistent threat up top. Once we have that, we will push solid defensive teams further backwards at least, and we might create better chances more often.

But my final word is for Pardew. That dive couldn't have happened against a more deserving man's team. The angry throw of the jacket gave me enough satisfaction, but that angry interview on Sky was awesome. He's a piece of work, always has been. The mask has been on while Palace have been doing well, but it's slipping again big time.

Actually...final final word...I can't actually believe top 4 is possible. What a ridiculous season.

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Will 7th get a Europa spot?

Maybe. If M City finish in the CL spots, their EL place (League Cup win) will go to 6th place in the league. If M Utd or West Ham finish 5th & win the FA Cup, an EL place could go to 7th. 5th in the PL is the normal EL qualifying spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

garra wrote: »
    When he plays with some brain along with the heart, this chap starts to look useful. Needs to keep this up.

Not many world class CM at 22 though. He has improved alot since this season in midfield. He has alot of potential. Wish we signed Imbula too though. Been great at Stoke so far.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Maybe. If M City finish in the CL spots, their EL place (League Cup win) will go to 6th place in the league. If M Utd or West Ham finish 5th & win the FA Cup, an EL place could go to 7th. 5th in the PL is the normal EL qualifying spot.

Basically, if anyone who finishes 6th or higher wins the FA Cup then yes, 7th in the league gets a Europa place. This is of course assuming City finish in the top 6 themselves. The League Cup spot is the crappy one which means the team that gets it starts in July. The FA Cup spot is the best one, then the league one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Can was excellent today. Lovren had a good game too and did well at RB towards the end but Can was clearly the best player on the park and more deserving of the Man of the Match award (not that it matters all that much)

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭GotTheTshirt

Just saw LVG's post match interview, he reckons that Mata's character should have been taken into consideration before sending him off. This coupled with Pardew's "there's no-one in the box and it's the last minute" arguement is hilarious.

Do these numpties have any notion of the actual rules?

Cry your eyes gents. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Another variation on Pardew's whinging on MOTD :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Can we just keep Benteke for his penalties? His technique is flawless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

The more I look at the replay, the more that looks like a nailed on penalty. Benteke's foot was swept from under him, and he absolutely was not going to ground before that happened.

Pardew, worthless slug that he is, with the benefit of replays, is doubling down on his outright lies about it. It'll be funny when he gets the bullet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

While I agree that I want players who are good enough to make top squads I hate the idea of losing these players
    RoboKlopp wrote: »
    I'm being selfish on Liverpools part. It'll be a long trip which takes its toll. I'd much rather he stayed behind. He's looking like our most importantly player atm and I'd like to keep him fit and well!

Oh I understand that but if you want a good team does be the risks.
    I suppose we'd all be happier if we weren't over reliant on one or two of these type players but rather had a good few of them, that an injury to one doesn't affect the team overly much.

Also, it can't be underestimated, the boast that playing for national team gives to some players.

Anyway, that's enough of me trying to discuss football. I'll be back to thank whoring from tomorrow.

Delaney's been having a whinge on social media now. Says he didn't make contact with Benteke and that the ref told him it wasn't a penalty. Also that Liverpool were "man handling" Zaha and Bolasie all game, as if the same treatment wasn't given to Origi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Delaney's been having a whinge on social media now. Says he didn't make contact with Benteke and that the ref told him it wasn't a penalty. Also that Liverpool were "man handling" Zaha and Bolasie all game, as if the same treatment wasn't given to Origi.

Today's victory just keeps getting sweeter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

5starpool wrote: »
    The League Cup spot is the crappy one which means the team that gets it starts in July. The FA Cup spot is the best one, then the league one.

From next season I don't think theres a difference between the FA Cup spot and the League spot, they both go automatically into the groups. (maybe some tiny differences on money distribution or suchlike).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

If we were watching a game in China and a player was sent off in the same manner as Mata, we'd be saying there's something suspect going on.

fyfe79 wrote: »
    If we were watching a game in China and a player was sent off in the same manner as Mata, we'd be saying there's something suspect going on.

He's just upset about the rumours of Jose coming to United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Wonder if the treatment Origi got had anything with the decision not to bring on Sturridge.

Also didn't think Can was as good as he was against City, although my judgment could be clouded by him over running the 3 v 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

He's just upset about the rumours of Jose coming to United.

A player never sent off in his career, booked twice in the 1st half? The first, he raced to block a free-kick in a nothing area which is a guaranteed yellow, like taking your shirt off, then 3 mins later takes a mad swipe at a player in the same area of the pitch. If it was a "dodgy" league, we'd be asking about brown envelopes and odd betting patterns.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

Milner was lucky today how the game turned out, otherwise he would be getting alot of criticism, shearers praise on match of day during the week must have gone to his head, alls well that ends well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Premier League players that we should consider in summer?

My thoughts:
    - Mahrez: His direct running is just what's needed. Probably not an option if Leicester look for crazy money.

- Kante: Just what our midfield needs. Very similar to Essien.

- Antonio: Physical and a direct runner.

- Bony: If available at a reasonable price, Guardiola will most likely want to move him on. Proven goalscorer.

- Iheanacho: Lots of potential. Be interesting to see if he's in Guardiola's plans. Very similar style to Sturridge.

- Arnautovic: Very strong, intelligent and a good finisher.

- Mane: Quick, strong and a good finisher.

Would only consider the above players if available at reasonable prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

djPSB wrote: »

My thoughts:
    - Mahrez: His direct running is just what's needed. Probably not an option if Leicester look for crazy money.

- Bony: If available at a reasonable price, Guardiola will most likely want to move him on. Proven goalscorer.

- Iheanacho: Lots of potential. Be interesting to see if he's in Guardiola's plans. Very similar style to Sturridge.

The 2 Leicester boys could make our starting 11 stronger, not sure about the rest of them, especially the hulking Bony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

fyfe79 wrote: »

That's racist! :eek: Both were yellow cards. Tough titties if people usually get away with two fouls like that so close together, he didn't. How you handle adversity tells you alot about a person's character and today we didn't learn anything new about Van Gaal or Pardew but had this knowledge reconfirmed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

My thoughts:

I wouldn't mind having Payet from the Hammers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Bony is pony...wouldn't have him at all.

Kante and Payet would be the only two really. not that it matters a hoot as the prices will be crazy this summer and I think we'll be shopping entirely abroad.

Just saw LVG's post match interview, he reckons that Mata's character should have been taken into consideration before sending him off. This coupled with Pardew's "there's no-one in the box and it's the last minute" arguement is hilarious.

Do these numpties have any notion of the actual rules?

Cry your eyes gents. :)

John Hartson on MOTD reckoned LVG was talking in complete riddles, so can we start calling him Edward Nygma?

Even tho his form has improved I think Firmino should be "rested" for a game after jumping out of the way of the shot for Palace's goal today. Never mind it was he that miscontrolled it but getting out of the way of the shot is criminal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

mormank wrote: »
    Even tho his form has improved I think Firmino should be "rested" for a game after jumping out of the way of the shot for Palace's goal today. Never mind it was he that miscontrolled it but getting out of the way of the shot is criminal!

Eh? Our one shining light in 2016? You are kidding?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

My thoughts:

wouldn't want any of them.

Mahrez - Too much money.
    Kante - Very good player but not what we need we have high energy CM's.
    Antonio - Doing well but not good enough just hitting a purple patch.
    Iheanacho - We have Origi who is as good.
    Arnautovic - Not suited to a pressing team.
    Mane - Good player but been poor since christmas not worth 30m.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

mormank wrote: »

Drove me nuts as a player and drives me nuts as a spectator.

I'd prefer a whack in the face stopping a shot than see a goal conceded.

I can't fathom that mentality at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

Drove me nuts as a player and drives me nuts as a spectator.

I'd prefer a whack in the face stopping a shot than see a goal conceded.

I can't fathom that mentality at all.

And it wasn't even that powerfully hit!

There are definitely a lot less players in general prepared to throw themselves in the way of a shot.

Imagine Firmino did that in an 80s Liverpool team! He would have had to thumb back to Liverpool :)

mosstin wrote: »
    Eh? Our one shining light in 2016? You are kidding?

Not kidding at all. It is indefensible imo. Looks worse each time I see it. Plus we can afford to do it now anyway with coutinho etc all back from injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Was just thinking today, who gets player of the year so far for us? No real stand outs at all, compared to most season's.

I'd have Firmino, then after that I can only think of Clyne, Lallana, Can, Coutinho and Lovren before they got injured?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Kolo (for fun) or Clyne (on merit) for me.

hefferboi wrote: »
    Was just thinking today, who gets player of the year so far for us? No real stand outs at all, compared to most season's.

I'd have Firmino, then after that I can only think of Clyne, Lallana, Can, Coutinho and Lovren before they got injured?

Good question.

Probably Firmino, even though he was average pre Christmas. I think he's gonna be a huge player for us though especially with the correct partners up top

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

hefferboi wrote: »

Clyne. Head and shoulders above anyone else in our team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Clyne. Head and shoulders above anyone else in our team.

I would give Lucas a shout too, reliable, consistent and versatile.

Should be captain instead of Henderson in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

https://twitter.com/OptaJoe/status/706766317894893568
    28 - Liverpool have now won 28 Premier League games with a winning goal scored in the 90th minute or later; more than any other team. Drama.

• Advertisement

Drama

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Mahrez is almost definitely going to be leaving for a Champions League team. The fact he's been linked with Barcelona now is indicative of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Mahrez to Barcelona, Neymar to United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Mahrez is almost definitely going to be leaving for a Champions League team. The fact he's been linked with Barcelona now is indicative of that.

Yeah Leicester will have a hard time keeping him, real quality player

He already plays for a team that will be in the Champion's League.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

My thoughts:

Schmeichel would be a great signing. Even his da would probably be an improvement on Mig to be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

SlickRic wrote: »
    Martinez's schtick really has a lot of people fooled.

Lukaku is a monster. Barkley a talent. Stones a talent. Everywhere else, they're flimsy as fúck. Ask their fans.

I agree martinez is a spoofer but if they had a decent manager that team has great potential. Id prefer their starting eleven over both Utds and Liverpools. There is a lot more balance to the eleven they can put out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Just on the whole top 4 thing, we are most likely out of the race. We are currently on 44 points, with 30 left to play for, if we could get 24, then I think we might have a squeak of a chance. Remember, our last six games of the season are Stoke, Bournemouth, Newcastle, Swansea, Watford, West Brom. IF, we were within striking distance, then it really would be in our hands at that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

Although obviously cheating is not to be commended God I was delighted about how Benteke's dive sickened Pardew yesterday. Was sweet to watch his interview afterwards

Although obviously cheating is not to be commended God I was delighted about how Benteke's dive sickened Pardew yesterday. Was sweet to watch his interview afterwards

Was it really a dive though? MOTD2 pundits both said it wasn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

It was more a pen then those where the ball is blasted at ya from 2 yards and hits your hand

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement