Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 15/16

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

murpho999 wrote: »
    Was it really a dive though? MOTD2 pundits both said it wasn't.

People are pouring over the replays and can see his knee hitting his foot.

TBH when you see it full pelt it does look like a dive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

murpho999 wrote: »
    Was it really a dive though? MOTD2 pundits both said it wasn't.

Was he not on his way down already though by the time his heel brushed Delaney's knee?

I really think it was a dive. But look, players do it all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Vicxas wrote: »
    People are pouring over the replays and can see his knee hitting his foot.

TBH when you see it full pelt it does look like a dive.
    Was he not on his way down already though by the time his heel brushed Delaney's knee?

I initially thought it was a dive but MOTD made me think otherwise.

There was definite contact and Benteke was clever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I know Klopp likes to play with 1 striker but he hasn't got the personnel this season. We need to go 2 up top, Milner and Lallana just don't carry enough of a goal threat or pace to be playing in attacking positions. Firmino is a striker, shoe horning him into other positions is pointless. This is what I would like to see Thursday.

Flanagan Lovren Sakho Clyne
    Can
    Lallana Henderson
    Coutinho
    Sturridge Firmino

United are a really poor side with a very dodgy defence, we need to be ruthless here. As poor as they are though I think we will need a 2 or 3 goal cushion before we go to Old Trafford. The pressure is on Van Gaal again, lets make it unbearable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Graham Poll in his column praised the linesman for being strong enough to make the right call.

Soft penalty maybe but there was contact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Over the last 6 games, Liverpool have gained 3 points on ManU, 4 points over Everton, 5 over Arsenal and 6 over Man City.

https://twitter.com/lfc_family/status/706663724719804416?s=09

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Talk of Leicester not being able to hold onto players, people maybe forgetting from next season those teams will not need to sell anybody, the team that finishes bottom of next seasons Premier League will get more money than the team that wins the Champions League

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

rob316 wrote: »
    I know Klopp likes to play with 1 striker but he hasn't got the personnel this season. We need to go 2 up top, Milner and Lallana just don't carry enough of a goal threat or pace to be playing in attacking positions. Firmino is a striker, shoe horning him into other positions is pointless. This is what I would like to see Thursday.

Can
    Lallana Henderson
    Coutinho
    Sturridge Firmino

United are a really poor side with a very dodgy defence, we need to be ruthless here. As poor as they are though I think we will need a 2 or 3 goal cushion before we go to Old Trafford. The pressure is on Van Gaal again, lets make it unbearable.

Agree, the other problem with the current set up is having to many Indians in behind the Chief. Three players across the opposition 18 yard line plus runs from Can and Hendo equals congestion and the tendency to try and find another pass rather than play a forward ball.

With the diamond the two strikers create space for the No 10 as they move the central defenders and deepest midfielder about. Also as the squad has no width bar Ibe but loads of midfielders and 3.5 strikers (Firmino being the half! :p) it makes sense to use them.

Various options for the diamond depending on circumstances

Lucas
    Can
    Allen
    Hendo----Coutinho
    Milner
    Allen
    Can
    Firmino
    ----Lallana
    Lallana
    Firmino
    Coutinho
    Lallana

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

dogbert27 wrote: »
    Graham Poll in his column praised the linesman for being strong enough to make the right call.

Soft penalty maybe but there was contact.

Contact doesn't automatically mean a foul tho, and IMHO refs in the epl in particular are way too willing to give a penalty. You often see European refs turn down thus type of claim, which is a big change from the old days. Regardless, I was delighted to see Ben having the chutzpah to get up and roll in the penalty..... could be the confidence boost he needs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

Can
    Lallana Henderson
    Coutinho
    Sturridge Firmino

Flanagan isn't registered so it will be Clyne and Moreno at FB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Contact doesn't automatically mean a foul tho,

When the contact sweeps the foot of a player running full tilt, from behind, it's the very definition of a foul.

It's observably not the case from the replays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

6RvO47P.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Talk of Leicester not being able to hold onto players, people maybe forgetting from next season those teams will not need to sell anybody, the team that finishes bottom of next seasons Premier League will get more money than the team that wins the Champions League

That's only half the battle though. Someone like Barca start showing interest in a player like Mahrez and he's most likely going to look to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

We did not need to sell Sterling, yet he went.

While it is the case that all the Premier League clubs are going to be minted with TV money, the top 5-6 teams will have even more thanks to sponsorship and commercial deals. Mahrez is apparently on £20k a week, and while I am positive that Leicester will be bumping that considerably, they simply could not compete it a top 4 team offer £200k a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Would look far better on delaney if he put his hands up and called himself out for a stupid challenge,now he just looks like a whingebag

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

John Hartson on MOTD reckoned LVG was talking in complete riddles, so can we start calling him Edward Nygma?

To be fair though, everything to John Hartson probably sounds like riddles.

Would look far better on delaney if he put his hands up and called himself out for a stupid challenge,now he just looks like a whingebag

It's not like Pardew is setting a good example for him, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

My thoughts on the PL players I'd like us to sign this summer:

None.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Contact doesn't automatically mean a foul tho, and IMHO refs in the epl in particular are way too willing to give a penalty. You often see European refs turn down thus type of claim, which is a big change from the old days. Regardless, I was delighted to see Ben having the chutzpah to get up and roll in the penalty..... could be the confidence boost he needs.

Glad he scored and I hope he increases his value for the club before the end of the season, but he scared the bejaysus out of me with that stunted run-up boll1x. For me that's a 50:50 peno, goalie guesses right and he reaches it easily.

I really miss the way Gerrard would just storm up to ball and blast it into one corner or the other. Before he took it you knew he was going to score unless the goalie made an absolutely astonishing save.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Sturridge surely being kept in cotton wool to make sure he is available for the EL games vs Utd, and Coutinho mostly rested for the same reason I assume. Clyne will certainly come back in as well. I think we'll see the same midfield trio of Henderson, Can and Milner. Interesting that Skrtel was not on the bench at the weekend as well, did he have a setback? Flanagan or Moreno is nearly the only uncertainty regarding starting lineup if we rule Skrtel out.

I'm already nervous as hell for that tie.

Edit: I forgot Flanno isn't registered, so Moreno it is.

Knex. wrote: »

None.

Yeah, I'm not seeing a non-rip off keeper option, or a realistic wide speedster, or an intelligent centre mid who can offer a bit of control, that we should be going after in the EPL.

The new TV money is going to drive the transfer market insane, and it won't settle down for at least 2 or 3 windows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Knex. wrote: »

None.
    Joe Hart, if Nueur follows Pep from Bayern.

Aguero, if Pep doesn't fancy him.

There will be a good few out there that would improve us depending on the players their teams bring in this summer to replace them/provide competition for them.

But the prices will be pretty astronomical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Aguero, if Pep doesn't fancy him.

That would be football equivalent of the scene from Shallow Hal where the guy turns down the 10/10 model chick because she had a slightly weird toe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Are the 28 injury-time winners listed anywhere? Would be interested to look at the list.

Ones I thought of straight away:

v Newcastle in 1996, obviously, 20 years ago next month :eek:
    v Portsmouth when Torres scored the winner
    v Norwich this season
    v QPR last year - ridiculous match
    v Fulham twice - Yossi and Gerrard peno

Then Ludogorets in the CL and West Ham in the Cup final

What other injury time winners do you remember?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

8-10 wrote: »
    Are the 28 injury-time winners listed anywhere? Would be interested to look at the list.

v Norwich this season

Liverpool 2 - 0 Chelsea 08/09 - Torres scored in 89th and 90th minutes is closes i remember - but only 1 in injury time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Cc8xFVGWoAQtLFr.png

But Firmino is a flop & Sanchez is the best player in the PL:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

v Norwich this season

I'm guessing it's "Premier league" era only.

Don't forget Hodgson famous win over Bolton, injury time winner from Cole.

I remember Smicer banging a last gasp winner against Ranieir's Chelsea.

Stevie Wonder wouldn't describe Sanchez as the best player in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

v Norwich this season

I have a memory of Kuyt getting one against Man City in a 3-2 win in 2008/09 season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

MD1990 wrote: »
    Cc8xFVGWoAQtLFr.png

Who said he's a flop? I'll fight him now :D

x43r0 wrote: »
    That would be football equivalent of the scene from Shallow Hal where the guy turns down the 10/10 model chick because she had a slightly weird toe

What an awful movie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

What an awful movie

Agreed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Cc8xFVGWoAQtLFr.png

Thats Couthino/Ozil all over again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭doc_17

Firmino has been excellent since Christmas. But, the Man City game aside, he was fairly average in the first half of the season. Maybe that's when people were thinking he was a flop?

doc_17 wrote: »
    Firmino has been excellent since Christmas. But, the Man City game aside, he was fairly average in the first half of the season. Maybe that's when people were thinking he was a flop?

Just the idiots that subscribe to the notion all top players hit the ground running. I can remember Suarez for the first few months blew hot and cold, missed a lot of easy chances and his finishing was heavily criticized. Not a fan of comparing players but I see a lot of Suarez in Firmino.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,086 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Just the idiots that subscribe to the notion all top players hit the ground running. I can remember Suarez for the first few months blew hot and cold, missed a lot of easy chances and his finishing was heavily criticized. Not a fan of comparing players but I see a lot of Suarez in Firmino.

Suarez spent 6 months hitting the woodwork before he got his act together

v Norwich this season

Folwer v Arsenal in the last minute at Highbury - was that PL?

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Folwer v Arsenal in the last minute at Highbury - was that PL?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

• Advertisement

Cross is a grade A wanker, when it comes to Liverpool. Arsenal scribbler
    Piers Morgan is a grade A wanker, when it comes to Liverpool. Arsenal fan

I'd get a straight red for what I think of John Cross. One of the London press mafia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Cc8xFVGWoAQtLFr.png

Firminho having a better first season than King Luis too ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Suarez spent 6 months hitting the woodwork before he got his act together

Suarez spent alot of time playing with Jay Spearing, Chaz Adam and Stewy D. Enough said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

This season Sanchez seems to have suffered from being overplayed by club and country, contributing to his injury problems in December and January. Would be more fitting to compare Firmino to Sanchez's first season.

Sanchez finished up the 14/15 season with 16 goals and 8 assists - and he was scoring and assisting right from his debut. It took Firmino until 31 October to grab his first assist - probably why you had a lot of WUMs lining up to call him a flop.

Since 31 October he's hit 8 goals/7 assists in the last 18 league games. If he keeps that up he's going to be finish with maybe 12 goals/12 assists in his debut season.

Big credit to the transfer committee for this one.

djPSB wrote: »
    Suarez spent alot of time playing with Jay Spearing, Chaz Adam and Stewy D. Enough said.

The first half season he had the squad was pretty good actually before it was gutted of any quality to save on wages. Suarez was playing with a midfield of Maxi, Lucas, Gerrard, Miereles and Kuyt up front. Your thinking of the next season, that was a horrid team.

The moment I realized how good Suarez could be was at Anfield against United when Kuyt got a hattrick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

v Norwich this season

Neil Mellor smasher V Arsenal? November 2004...absolute cracker!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

gucci wrote: »
    Neil Mellor smasher V Arsenal? November 2004...absolute cracker!!

Oh yes! Remember the bar I was in for that one. Cracking strike.

They had Henry and van Persie up front.....we had Mellor and Sinama-Pongolle!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Torres at Pompey and Gerard at home to Boro in that 08/09 season also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,202 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Torres v Villa in 10 and Gerrard v Derby 08

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement