Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 15/16

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Loved the fact some posters were lambasting the allen substitution,and the outcome of it haha,armchair managers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Loved the fact some posters were lambasting the allen substitution,and the outcome of it haha,armchair managers

He really is adding something different to the mix these days, can hendo and miler are all too alike, can is these days atleast the superior of the 3 players I'd like to see Allen get more game time ahead of Milner or hendo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,041 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

klose wrote: »
    He really is adding something different to the mix these days, can hendo and miler are all too alike, can is these days atleast the superior of the 3 players I'd like to see Allen get more game time ahead of Milner or hendo.

Right now, the best balanced trio would be Lucas, Can and Allen. Hopefully Henderson can return to his form of old though.

Can, Lallana and Lovren have really stepped up of late. Much better decision making from all of them.

The age profile of our squad is really exciting though, Lallana is probably the oldest of the best starting 10 outfielders, and he's still only 27.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Can has really stepped up the last few weeks.

I expect him to dip again before the end of the year but he does look like he can push on and become a very very good player for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Video from inside the ground shows how BT played with the pitch side microphones

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/watch-liverpool-fc-v-manchester-11023324

I could watch that all day!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Nothing wrong with it. I was surprised in the heat of the moment but in the cold light of day it seems obvious. "3 at the back huh... well I won't have a striker so, no out balls for you ano runners wide"

With Allen playing more advanced than pirlo these days we may need a new name for him. The divine beard?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Don't think utd had a shot on target all night. They have tended to score with pretty much every shot on target against Liverpool the last 4 games against each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

Don't think utd had a shot on target all night. They have tended to score with pretty much every shot on target against Liverpool the last 4 games against each other.

Just the 1 - a tame effort straight at Mignolet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I love when Klopp puts on his angry face :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

On Lallana, the biggest improvement me for me is that he takes less time on the ball. He's far more decisive with it.

When Klopp first joined, he was one of the early, clear improvers, on the team. His energy and workrate was on a different level to everyone else, really. He tapered off a bit, and then got injured, but that break seems to have been great for him.

The goals and assists are obviously fantastic to see, as he used to flatter to deceive quite a lot, but the main difference for me is he has reduced his time on the ball dramatically, and is a lot more direct and decisive in his distribution.

Hopefully he can kick on from here again.

• Advertisement

If you missed it, I would recommend watching it for the laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

A front 3 of Lallana, Phil and Bobby have brought out our best performances this season. Sturridge could have had 2 goals and assist last night but to me he just seems reluctant to throw on the burners at the moment, which is understandable but the other 3 just press relentlessly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with it. I was surprised in the heat of the moment but in the cold light of day it seems obvious. "3 at the back huh... well I won't have a striker so, no out balls for you ano runners wide"

With Allen playing more advanced than pirlo these days we may need a new name for him. The divine beard?
    Rick Grimes, zombie killer.

https://www.google.ie/search?q=rick+grimes&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiT67HesLjLAhUCnA4KHY3rCq0QiR4IiwE&biw=1252&bih=604

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Anyone know if John Henry was there last night?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Knex. wrote: »
    If you missed it, I would recommend watching it for the laugh.

If that's what qualifies for punditry, I think I might lob in an job application! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I hate seeing grown men cry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Just off topic a little..

All over the papers about utd fans chanting about Hillsbrough last night but read on line a couple dozen Liverpool fans were chanting the Munich song...anyone read anything about this.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

not yet wrote: »

All over the papers about utd fans chanting about Hillsbrough last night but read on line a couple dozen Liverpool fans were chanting the Munich song...anyone read anything about this.

Watched on Setanta last night, after the match before the first ad break, the camera panned to the Utd fans in the crowd. The song they were singing was audible, the people singing it were visible as it was a close up shot. There was an abrupt cut to ads.

I'm sure there were Liverpool fans there last night singing songs as well but not that I seen or heard on the telebox.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

Football, gotta love it. Been waiting for a game like that to finally beat United when it mattered for some time. Last game we basically did the same thing but failed to score and got sucker punched.

Isn't it funny though?

Lallana is now having a great season, getting better with every game. Despite alot of calls for him being not good enough and a waste of 25mill by many. We are seeing a player that is VERY suited to one managers style of play versus anothers. You could argue that Lallana/Milner are the epitomy of Klopps high press.

Sturridge gets away with yet another game where he labours around the pitch, he made so many half hearted attempts to track back and win a ball last night that if it were - oh i dunno Benteke - he would be labelled "not working hard enough for the jersey" or the new sky sports drivel "Not making the correct runs" ... Sturridge is a long way off match sharpness as far as i can see. We expect him to make things happen and would all agree that he will finish more than Benteke/Origi when given the chance ... but thats football. He did say however he was fit and ready with no issues, so then Daniel - stop pulling up on runs and only going up to 4th gear when it suits. (Of course like all others, i don't really care once he scores like he did last night.)

That all aside, really enjoyed Emre Cans performance last night. Was at the game v Augsburg and i watched him barely move from his position on front of the backline in an almost stifled performance. Stifled/Disciplined i mean ... he is the choice to play in that role v Lucas, he is 22 yrs old and will be a stalworth on Klopps new team. The guy can only get better with games, the more the better.

Lovren is coming alive and his partnership with Sahko is growing. We suddenly do not seem to be worried about frees and corners all of a sudden .. when was the last time we conceded one of "Those goals"? Sahko still gives me heart pulpatations though. Last night he was cooler than the pther side of the pillow when he rotated 360degrees and held off the united player at the same time, cooly slots the ball into midfield. As a true armchair warrior i'd say he could hear me roaring at him through the TV! But well done Sahko, you kept your head when all around you were losing theirs.

United will have a few more minutes like in the second half next week, where they all of a sudden look a little more ominous. We need to be man enough to deal with that. Score one has got to be the mantra.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

not yet wrote: »

Nothing has been said about that, maybe said online by United fan's as an excuse for their chanting.

Liverpool fan's had been singing Ferige's right you're fans are sh*te

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I've been looking for this as I missed it during the game

https://vine.co/v/iHgIxjhH0lE

Stamps and then elbows. I've no idea how he manages to last the full 90 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Emre and firmino have really stepped up lately
    Had a lot of reservations about both but they must be the first two names on the team sheet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Emre and firmino have really stepped up lately
    Had a lot of reservations about both but they must be the first two names on the team sheet

They have - and they're not alone.

I've been impressed with Lovren, Lallana and Clyne of late too. Tbf, Clyne was never bad, he just seems better now.

But Can, Firmino, Lovren and Lallana are playing consistently well.

Also, I know he had a stinker at the weekend, but Milner was on a decent run too before that.

Question -

what is everyone's thoughts re: Benitez possibly (probably?) taking over Newcastle? He's in the north-east negotiating the deal, though McLaren still hasn't been sacked. Just a matter of time it seems.

Spoke too soon - just sacked.

Personally, a little disappointed. No issue with Benitez managing in England or anything (maybe United would upset me?) but this seems like a bad move for him. Inter and Real have tarnished his rep big time and I would fear for his standing in the game if he took Newcastle down.

There's not long left in the season and it is a big ask to turn the club around at this point. Maybe it's the coward in me, but all I'm thinking is that it makes more sense to wait until the end of the season and see what is out there. If he can't get Mitrovic, Sissoko, etc firing, he'll be left with a band of unmotivated, overpaid mercenaries in the Championship.

Newcastle seem in a real state of dysfunction at the minute - I wouldn't envy any manager going there really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Boom_Bap wrote: »

Stamps and then elbows. I've no idea how he manages to last the full 90 minutes.
    some Man Utd fans & also Scholes & van Gaal thought he was one of the best players on the pitch.

https://twitter.com/Squawka/status/708063349309841409

https://twitter.com/Squawka/status/708038491742015488

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Question -

what is everyone's thoughts re: Benitez possibly (probably?) taking over Newcastle? He's in the north-east negotiating the deal, though McLaren still hasn't been sacked. Just a matter of time it seems.

Personally, a little disappointed. No issue with Benitez managing in England or anything (maybe United would upset me?) but this seems like a bad move for him. Inter and Real have tarnished his rep big time and I would fear for his standing in the game if he took Newcastle down.

There's not long left in the season and it is a big ask to turn the club around at this point. Maybe it's the coward in me, but all I'm thinking is that it makes more sense to wait until the end of the season and see what is out there. If he can't get Mitrovic, Sissoko, etc firing, he'll be left with a band of unmotivated, overpaid mercenaries in the Championship.

Newcastle seem in a real state of dysfunction at the minute - I wouldn't envy any manager going there really.

Guess rafa fancies having a go with pretty much every big name manager coaching in the premier league next season, think it's a pretty ill advised move but good luck to him.

Another video from inside the stadium of the atmosphere prior to kickoff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Hope rafa takes over the toon,be some line up of top managers in the prem,i wouldnt mind seeing newcastle win something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Boom_Bap wrote: »

I thought that was harmless enough tbh. Can had a fine game, but I'd be disappointed if he was lying on the ground after that tip and the ball was crossed into the box to felliani. The last minute of a game is no time to exaggerate a blow like that, get up ta fvck and mark yer man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Football, gotta love it. Been waiting for a game like that to finally beat United when it mattered for some time. Last game we basically did the same thing but failed to score and got sucker punched.

Isn't it funny though?

Lallana is now having a great season, getting better with every game. Despite alot of calls for him being not good enough and a waste of 25mill by many. We are seeing a player that is VERY suited to one managers style of play versus anothers. You could argue that Lallana/Milner are the epitomy of Klopps high press.

Sturridge gets away with yet another game where he labours around the pitch, he made so many half hearted attempts to track back and win a ball last night that if it were - oh i dunno Benteke - he would be labelled "not working hard enough for the jersey" or the new sky sports drivel "Not making the correct runs" ... Sturridge is a long way off match sharpness as far as i can see. We expect him to make things happen and would all agree that he will finish more than Benteke/Origi when given the chance ... but thats football. He did say however he was fit and ready with no issues, so then Daniel - stop pulling up on runs and only going up to 4th gear when it suits. (Of course like all others, i don't really care once he scores like he did last night.)

That all aside, really enjoyed Emre Cans performance last night. Was at the game v Augsburg and i watched him barely move from his position on front of the backline in an almost stifled performance. Stifled/Disciplined i mean ... he is the choice to play in that role v Lucas, he is 22 yrs old and will be a stalworth on Klopps new team. The guy can only get better with games, the more the better.

Lovren is coming alive and his partnership with Sahko is growing. We suddenly do not seem to be worried about frees and corners all of a sudden .. when was the last time we conceded one of "Those goals"? Sahko still gives me heart pulpatations though. Last night he was cooler than the pther side of the pillow when he rotated 360degrees and held off the united player at the same time, cooly slots the ball into midfield. As a true armchair warrior i'd say he could hear me roaring at him through the TV! But well done Sahko, you kept your head when all around you were losing theirs.

United will have a few more minutes like in the second half next week, where they all of a sudden look a little more ominous. We need to be man enough to deal with that. Score one has got to be the mantra.

I agree with that but i will say i think Lanana has more to do to convince me he has a long term future at us, he still has a habit of holding on to the ball for too long, but he is improving.

The point about utd having a good spell early in the second half, they only looked decent because we let them play i feel, the lack of pressing high up the pitch and the midfield standing off them when defending in our own half was annoying to watch, they don't have the quality to play around us so why not press them?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I agree with that but i will say i think Lanana has more to do to convince me he has a long term future at us, he still has a habit of holding on to the ball for too long, but he is improving.

The point about utd having a good spell early in the second half, they only looked decent because we let them play i feel, the lack of pressing high up the pitch and the midfield standing off them when defending in our own half was annoying to watch, they don't have the quality to play around us so why not press them?
    I think some of it may be the rest of the team improving and giving him options of where to put the ball rather than all of it being Lallana improving.

I still have the match thread to read, should have caught up by our next game:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭doc_17

Was really impressed with our performance last night. 3/4 good signings and we could be right in the mix next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

They only looked decent for that spell as they had changed their shape and overloaded our midfield using wingbacks, as soon as Klopp replaced Sturridge and went with a false 9 and rotating front line, van Gaal had no answer

Side topic, but anyway...

8-10, or anyone else who watches Dutch Football; How good is Jetro Willems, and would he be worth a punt?

I swear, I thought he was 24 or 25. Only just found out he was 21. Holy crap. Means he was playing in the league at 16, and for Netherlands at 17/18.

All I know is that he has an outstanding great left peg, but can't defend too well. Kolorov, but younger, faster, and more rash in defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Question -

Not sure getting the bullet at Madrid tarnishes anyone reputation. They sack everyone.

Newcastle are not really in a position where they could expect to attract someone better than Benitez I imagine. Obviously the big challenge is having 10 games to keep a side in free fall up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Gaillimh1976

Kolorov, but younger, faster, and more rash in defence.

So Moreno if he could take a set-piece ??

So Moreno if he could take a set-piece ??

A far, far, far better left foot than Moreno's.

Would be skeptical about buying from Holland. There at a very low level from 10-20 years ago.

MD1990 wrote: »
    Would be skeptical about buying from Holland. There at a very low level from 10-20 years ago.

True.

Still, when you hear that we are interested in Ben Chilwell, and I can only imagine what cost that would entail, it makes me wonder about alternatives such as Willems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Rafa sure has fallen.

One thing is for sure, the man has some balls to go in there with 10 games to go and try to keep them up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

SlickRic wrote: »
    Rafa sure has fallen.

One thing is for sure, the man has some balls to go in there with 10 games to go and try to keep them up.

He'll be a hero if he does

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

SlickRic wrote: »
    Rafa sure has fallen.

Well any manager that goes from Real Madrid to Newcastle would be perceived as a failure, but I don't buy into that at all. Nobody survives in Madrid for long, and Newcastle are certainly an interesting "project" (albeit a really difficult one at the minute) with a huge fan base and a bit to spend compared to other bottom-half clubs.

I'm quite sure he'll keep the club up this season and with a good clear out in the summer and bringing good defenders in (plenty of talent going forward already, just mismanaged), a top 7 spot is certainly not beyond Newcastle next year, as long as relegation is avoided of course.

Good for Rafa to show some courage I say, much like Klopp did with us to a lesser extent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Great to see Rafa back, not afraid of a challenge, many probably sane managers would have run a mile. I see big things for Newcastle next season provided they stay up which they will.

"Never take a job below your skill set"

Wonder will Rafa regret this Newcastle move. Mike Ashley doesn't exactly scream the stability that will allow him to build that club up again.

martyos121 wrote: »
    Well any manager that goes from Real Madrid to Newcastle would be perceived as a failure, but I don't buy into that at all. Nobody survives in Madrid for long, and Newcastle are certainly an interesting "project" (albeit a really difficult one at the minute) with a huge fan base and a bit to spend compared to other bottom-half clubs.

I'm quite sure he'll keep the club up this season and with a good clear out in the summer and bringing good defenders in (plenty of talent going forward already, just mismanaged), a top 7 spot is certainly not beyond Newcastle next year, as long as relegation is avoided of course.

Good for Rafa to show some courage I say, much like Klopp did with us to a lesser extent.
    I think its more to do with being desperate to return to England to be near his family. And not many big clubs in the PL would take him atm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

martyos121 wrote: »

Agree with this 100%, A really exciting appointment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Hes one of my favourite players now.

Another video from inside the stadium of the atmosphere prior to kickoff

Good to see FSG rowed bsck on that 'no flag' nonsense. They really are good owners. They listen when the fans speak up about something.

Not sure getting the bullet at Madrid tarnishes anyone reputation. They sack everyone.

Newcastle are not really in a position where they could expect to attract someone better than Benitez I imagine. Obviously the big challenge is having 10 games to keep a side in free fall up.

It's a great appointment for Newcaslte tbf.

I'm just not sure it's the right one for Rafa. But, he seems to be a man determined to make awful (on paper) job choices.

Follow Jose to Inter? Check.
    Go to Chelsea where the fans already hate him? Check.
    Real? Check.
    Now Newcastle with just 10 games to beat the drop...

I hope he does well. I like Rafa an awful lot. I just wonder if he could have done better if he had waited for 3 months.

• Advertisement

Side topic, but anyway...

8-10, or anyone else who watches Dutch Football; How good is Jetro Willems, and would he be worth a punt?

I swear, I thought he was 24 or 25. Only just found out he was 21. Holy crap. Means he was playing in the league at 16, and for Netherlands at 17/18.

All I know is that he has an outstanding great left peg, but can't defend too well. Kolorov, but younger, faster, and more rash in defence.

So... Moreno?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement