Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 15/16

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I thought Ibe was poor tonight myself. There was a spell tonight where he gave the ball away 4 times in a row when he got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

So far this season we have stepped up against the better teams and got a result. Watch us now lose on Sunday against lesser opposition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

NukaCola wrote: »
    On the face of it he should be so much better. Quick feet, good passer, good crosser, can get by players, good shot and is clearly an intelligent footballer but he just doesn't do it enough or consistently........or with any urgency.....he really slows down the attack and goes missing way too often.

He seems to indecisive along with a few others like Ibe and Clyne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

On the face of it he should be so much better. Quick feet, good passer, good crosser, can get by players, good shot and is clearly an intelligent footballer but he just doesn't do it enough or consistently........or with any urgency.....he really slows down the attack and goes missing way too often.

Even more than that, it's like he repells the football.

How often do you see him be the one to collect the ball in the box in a position where he can get a shot off?

It always seems to fall to someone else - Can, Benteke, Firmino. Even Joe bloody Allen.

He should be tailor made for playing off other lads and just stroking shots into the net, as Arsenal's midfielders do all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

martyos121 wrote: »
    Is it time to bring up the bag of cement discussion again?

I think it is lads.

Right, I'll just fire ahead then:

1. A bag of cement saves all of the shots that are hit straight at him. Mignolet often moves out of the way out of fear.

2. Bag of cement - €6 one time fee, no wages
    Mignolet - let's not even go there

3. A bag of cement would take better corners than any of our outfield players, a fly-cement-goalie if you will.

4. A bag of cement holds its value fairly well. Mignolet has the worth of a rusty crowbar.

Here's Mignolet doing his thing:

1414959983488_Image_galleryImage_NEWCASTLE_UPON_TYNE_ENGLA.JPG

And now the bag of cement, brilliantly saving a Jon Walters penalty:

374816.jpeg

And there's the case that we should replace Simon Mignolet, with a €6 bag of cement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Klopp is sorting out the Anfield form and library anyway, twice we've come from behind in the last 3 home games. Laugh at the victory parade if you want but it worked.

Should really have won except for the defensive mistakes so no change there.

Hendo was class considering his injury problems all season, can't think of one player who was consistently great barring him. Can, Moreno, Clyne and Firmino all good, but misplaced poor passes several times.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Anyone else roar at the tv when Mig came out and took Ramesy out and punched the ball in the second half. Why cant you do that ever ****en time.

A lad I work with never stops talking about how ****e Joe Allen is.

It's been gas this season. It seems like every time he's played he's got man of the match and then he scores the equaliser tonight.

If he's happy to be 6th choice midfielder and we can afford to keep then I say, why not?

Against all logic the tragically mediocre Joe Allen is secretly amazing all the time.:p

niallo27 wrote: »
    Anyone else roar at the tv when Mig came out and took Ramesy out and punched the ball in the second half. Why cant you do that ever ****en time.

intheface.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I thought Ibe was poor tonight myself. There was a spell tonight where he gave the ball away 4 times in a row when he got it.

True but I thought he was good before that and actually finished the game strongly as well but he had a 15/20 minute spell in the middle of the 2nd half where he kept losing the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

A broken clock is correct twice a day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

I was expecting him to clear out Sakho and leave Ramsey with a free header.
    Seriously, you could see him make his mind up straight away, good punch

Did Henderson do his little hop after Firmino's strike?

You bet your ass he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Ibe, Toure, Lallana, Sakho, Moreno were all poor & especially more than anyone else Mignolet. Ward should play on Sunday

SlickRic wrote: »
    Klopp got every once out of us there.

We're seeing more and more each week how badly managed this squad has been.

So many positions where we simply don't posess the quality required.

It's actually angering me just thinking about it.

I'd say 5/6th is about the level of the squad.

Klopp has done fine, but it isn't a top 4 squad as we are finding out. That does not change under any manager.

Write of this league season, win a Cup, think long term which for most fans these days is about 6 months, get transfers in and we should have a good craic at top 3/4 next season.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

A lot of the problems seem to me to be the players are overthinking things when attacking, Clyne, Ibe, Moreno, Lallana all guilty of this tonight.

When the have the ball in the final third there's always a pause where they have to think about what they are going to do next, instead of using instinct.

In fairness to Moreno he got forward well and kept arsenal pinned back. He probably spent more time in the arsenal box than his own.

ERG89 wrote: »
    ....Ward should play on Sunday

It's a tough one, might be best for Ward to come into the first 11 in a less intense fixture, L'Pool v Man Utd is one of the fixtures of the season.

Hopefully he's wandering around Melwood full of confidence reckoning Mig is useless and chomping at the bit to get between the sticks though :)

Klopp'll know best.

Bin should play v Utd

SLAL-mignolet-bin.png

This is one of these things thrown out about Lallana by journos, blog writers and Lfc podcasters.

Tell me how Lallana is an intelligent footballer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

id give joe a new contract before id give mig a look in,some of our play was so good,then sloppy,then fckin useless at the back,repeat. so fckin frustrating.

K-9 wrote: »
    I'd say 5/6th is about the level of the squad. .......

Chelsea, Man City, Arsenal & Man Utd have better squads.
    Leicester & Spurs etc don't.

With Chelsea where they are and Utd the way they are this season we should be still hoping for the traditional wonder streak to get us up the table :D

Carra
    Great atmosphere tonight, even the Main Stand was singing! Shambles at the back but great drive 2nd half to get back into it. JH excellent

Not at all answering your question but himself and Milner have a lot in common in so far as they are much maligned but they are missed when they aren't playing.

You think Lallana is a chump/sh1t player/crap/whatever, nothing anyone on here or anywhere else says to you will change that.

A lot of the problems seem to me to be the players are overthinking things when attacking, Clyne, Ibe, Moreno, Lallana all guilty of this tonight.

When the have the ball in the final third there's always a pause where they have to think about what they are going to do next, instead of using instinct.

Those 4 can be infuriating at times but Lallana and Ibe especially, both are the 2 players in the team who take far too much out of it. Moreno is more direct and Clyne took up different positions than he normally does tonight, was better attacking wise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Danny Ward has about 20 games for Aberdeen to his name, I wouldnt be looking to him tbh. Its Mignolet or a signing. Looks as if its Mignolet.

I thought he did ok. 6/10 performance. The defence is still obviously in turmoil.

Happy with the goals today though. It's looking as if Firmino up front on his own is a more desirable option then Benteke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Any time I've seen Joe Allen lately he's looked a way better player than Adam Lalanna.

I've always had a soft spot for Allen,gets ridiculously over the top abuse on here and elsewhere. He's a very intelligent footballer I think. What he lacks in strength he makes up for with intelligence.Delighted for him tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I'd say 5/6th is about the level of the squad.

Klopp has done fine, but it isn't a top 4 squad as we are finding out. That does not change under any manager.

Write of this league season, win a Cup, think long term which for most fans these days is about 6 months, get transfers in and we should have a good craic at top 3/4 next season.

I think it's amazing how in the face of such adversity ,so many injuries, fact we have not had a fit striker for what seems like years now. Plus the fact we changed manager so early in the season. In the face of all this we some how compete with Man United ,Spurs so on..
    I full expect to beat United next time out. It's quite crazy how we compete yet we have such adversity to constantly deal with.
    It's why I truly believe that we are a fit striker and a healthy squad away from being in top 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Henderson let out some roar at the lino :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

This is one of these things thrown out about Lallana by journos, blog writers and Lfc podcasters.

Personally I think he's a very stupid footballer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Much angrier about that game than most are.

Sure the defence and Might cost us two goals but arsenal had their own chances to kill it off.

Firminho needs to do what he did today and versus City more regularly.

I hate watching the team between my fingers. What I wouldn't give for a bit of rafa like stability.

Augeo wrote: »
    Not at all answering your question but himself and Milner have a lot in common in so far as they are much maligned but they are missed when they aren't playing.

You think Lallana is a chump/sh1t player/crap/whatever, nothing anyone on here or anywhere else says to you will change that.

No attempt to answer a simple question.

You're still wrong though, even with going to the opposite extreme. I didn't say he doesn't work and press a lot.

I asked, how is Lallana this intelligent footballer that everybody in the know says he is.?

Shouldn't be that hard to answer without the defensive crap. If you can't answer, I'll assume you can't answer a simple question.

Lallana headed a clearance back to where it came from tonight. WTF. Crowd groaned.
    It reminded me of when he beat player to get in box then turned around to face him again when he was already in !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Any time I've seen Joe Allen lately he's looked a way better player than Adam Lalanna.

I've always had a soft spot for Allen,gets ridiculously over the top abuse on here and elsewhere. He's a very intelligent footballer I think. What he lacks in strength he makes up for with intelligence.Delighted for him tonight.

Have been back and forth on him but have always said that 'The Rodgers' did him no favours. Brought him in with hype he could never live up to and then got screwed over when he abandoned the 'philosophy' Allen was supposed to be the focal point of.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭DaveSuarez

I really hope Klopp starts the Summer like...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnSccAokV3c

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

It's frustrating.

Keeper and defence undoing all our good attacking play tonight.

Think Mignolet's days are numbered, despite contract, that could just be to secure his transfer fee.

We need a top class keeper, and that will settle the back line, and may lead to better performances from the centre backs.

Cannot think of any team who has done well in the league with a bad keeper. 2013/14 was covered up by great attacking play, but we need to build from the back in the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

A commanding keeper organizing the back 4 would add so much to this team and then having at least one CB who is a talker and shouter would do wonders for our defending.

Looks like 6 teams fighting for 4th now
    3rd is looking out of reach
    5pts off 4th heading into new year
    Not so bad
    My only wish is Sturiddge returns for good this time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

I think it's amazing how in the face of such adversity ,so many injuries, fact we have not had a fit striker for what seems like years now. Plus the fact we changed manager so early in the season. In the face of all this we some how compete with Man United ,Spurs so on..
    I full expect to beat United next time out. It's quite crazy how we compete yet we have such adversity to constantly deal with.
    It's why I truly believe that we are a fit striker and a healthy squad away from being in top 3.

And a decent goalkeeper.....

Second goal killed us tonight, we're on top and hand the initiative to arsenal who were struggling at the time. Mig not blameless for 1st goal either, poorly positioned with a big gap at near post.
    Lots of positives, Can was a beast before tiring, Firminho was always a danger and Allen took goal well. Usual issues with Lalla Na but nothing new....

I think we're doing grand, bit more consistency obviously would be nice but we are fighting on 4 fronts, injuries, Klopp is solving the apathy in the Anfield crowd, some players are doing very well under him and I don't write us off going a goal down, despite poor attacking options.

We aren't too far off where I thought we'd be. I'd have swapped a couple of higher places in the league for 1 or 2 of the cup games, but its all good!

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Looks like 6 teams fighting for 4th now
    3rd is looking out of reach
    5pts off 4th heading into new year
    Not so bad
    My only wish is Sturiddge returns for good this time.

You've a funny definition of 'heading into the new year'.

If we lose on Sunday 4th as a dream is effectively done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

MOTD right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

As k9 said people can laugh at the 'celebration' a few weeks ago but it has worked. The team are fighting until the end and the crowd are responding.

Well, maybe i give him too much praise by calling him intelligent. I wouldn't call him stupid though.

I think he has good technique, makes the proper run normally, can beat players and make space when needed, doesn't needlessly give the ball away too often, doesn't roam from his position needlessly, retains possession well, doesn't needlessly shoot when a shot isn't on etc but I suppose you could say that should be expected.

Personally I dont like Lallana but he has decent attributes....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Entertaining game.

Defending a joke.

Both midfields very poor defensively, both teams crying out for a Mascherano type midfielder.

Ibe and Lallana offering no where near enough.

Firminho showing what he can do, would expect him to improve further when the calibre of player around him improves. It can take time for a player to settle, even Suarez didn't set the world alight in his first couple of seasons.

Whole team is just lacking top quality players but that's to be expected when you lose Suarez, Gerrard, Sterling and Sturridge getting crocked.

No attempt to answer a simple question.

You're still wrong though, even with going to the opposite extreme. I didn't say he doesn't work and press a lot.

I asked, how is Lallana this intelligent footballer that everybody in the know says he is.?

Shouldn't be that hard to answer without the defensive crap. If you can't answer, I'll assume you can't answer a simple question.

I said I wasn't answering your question, indeed I made no attempt.

I'm not a football pundit not do I claim to be in the know, defining what makes a footballer intelligent or not to me isn't a simple question.

no need to be such a w@nker about it :D

Also, he's missed when he doens't play so please explain how I'm wrong? Simply question fred.

Still trying to figure out what Lallana brings to us.

He's a filler until the summer I'd imagine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

In 5 games up front Firmino has 3 goals and 3 assists. I don't think he's filling in up top in place of a striker, I think he is a striker. Quite happy to see him starting up top.

Also I do not claim to be IDK...... :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement