Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 15/16

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'm really having my doubts about Ibe now, partly because I have doubts about the whole concept of an out and out winger. Its a role that has largely fallen by the wayside as wide players with a turn of speed are now required to do more than try to whip in a cross so the likes of Ibe need to demonstrate the ability to think and possess the vision thing. Can that be taught to a high enough level or does a player already need to have in his locker so it can be enhanced?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I'm really having my doubts about Ibe now, partly because I have doubts about the whole concept of an out and out winger. Its a role that has largely fallen by the wayside as wide players with a turn of speed are now required to do more than try to whip in a cross so the likes of Ibe need to demonstrate the ability to think and possess the vision thing. Can that be taught to a high enough level or does a player already need to have in his locker so it can be enhanced?

Turning your back on your kids......you're a bad, bad Daddy :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'm adopting Sheji Ojo! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I honestly thought Ibe had a hope of pushing on but he seems to be very error prone and doesn't seem to learn from them, I'd say a year in the Championship beckons....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

But but but Ibe's better than Sterling isn't he I'm sure two thirds of posters were saying that only a couple of months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Ibe's just West Brom level.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

But but but Ibe's better than Sterling isn't he I'm sure two thirds of posters were saying that only a couple of months.

I'm pretty sure you are wrong. A small amount of people might have said it, some others might have said that Ibe can be as good as him, but your statement is a ridiculously blatant falsehood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Sterling is shit as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Just looking at that Man City result and the form of the teams from 3rd to 6th generally, any good run of form would put some real pressure on top 4. Liverpool have a pretty sweet run-in too...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

sabat wrote: »
    Just looking at that Man City result and the form of the teams from 3rd to 6th generally, any good run of form would put some real pressure on top 4. Liverpool have a pretty sweet run-in too...

The squad have real momentum again and you can sense theres a real loft in the team spirit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Sterling is shit as well.
    Ibe>>>>>Sterling.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Ciano35

Win our game in hand and we're 4 points off 4th...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

J Mysterio wrote: »
    The squad have real momentum again and you can sense theres a real loft in the team spirit.

Or there's a spirit in the team's loft.

Just looking and theres actuallu a few tough games:

Southampton (a)
    Tottenham (h)
    Stoke (h)

Then..
    Bournemouth (a)
    Newcastle (h) - Rafa returns!
    Swansea (a)
    Watford (a)
    West Brom (a)

I'd like to say we can win all our remaining ganes but can see us potentially dropping points against Southampton/ Tottenham/ Stoke/ Newcastle. Hopefully we dont - Liverpool really are in a good run of form.

To get top four or win the Europa League would be a huge achievement for this team and the manager!

We still have a chance of top 4, but despite playing better recently, I'm still very sceptical that we can be consistent enough to get there. My ideal look for top 4 this season would be though (well, ideal given teams relative positions now)

Leicester
    Spurs
    Liverpool
    West Ham

Very unlikely obviously, but the odds o.f that happening before the start of the season would have been about 10 million to 1 (not really an exaggeration).

Better in purely banter terms though would be:

Leicester
    Spurs
    West Ham
    Man Utd

With City winning the CL and us winning the EL meaning Utd finish 4th but miss out.

• Advertisement

Southampton (a)
    Tottenham (h)
    Stoke (h)

Then..
    Bournemouth (a)
    Swansea (a)
    Watford (a)
    West Brom (a)

I'd like to say we can win all our remaining ganes but can see us potentially dropping points against Southampton/ Tottenham/ Stoke/ Newcastle. Hopefully we dont - Liverpool really are in a good run of form.

To get top four or win the Europa League would be a huge achievement for this team and the manager!

We play Watford at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Ibe>>>>>Sterling

:D

Seriously though,I've seen Sterling play for City 7 times this season and every time he's been awful. Don't know what's happened to him. He might improve again but at the moment it looks like we robbed them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Seriously though,I've seen Sterling play for City 7 times this season and every time he's been awful. Don't know what's happened to him. He might improve again but at the moment it looks like we robbed them.

As far as I know he's till having his most effective season so far.

He's done alright.

It hasn't helped that City have been pretty mediocre in general.

I think he'll be a player Pep absolutely loves.

5starpool wrote: »
    We still have a chance of top 4, but despite playing better recently, I'm still very sceptical that we can be consistent enough to get there. My ideal look for top 4 this season would be though (well, ideal given teams relative positions now)

Leicester
    Spurs
    Liverpool
    West Ham

Very unlikely obviously, but the odds o.f that happening before the start of the season would have been about 10 million to 1 (not really an exaggeration).

Leicester
    Spurs
    West Ham
    Man Utd

With City winning the CL and us winning the EL meaning Utd finish 4th but miss out
    That is pure evil.

Please please please please let it happen:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

5starpool wrote: »

Leicester
    Spurs
    West Ham
    Man Utd

With City winning the CL and us winning the EL meaning Utd finish 4th but miss out.

This unlikely scenario would be the beautiful thing to have ever existed on Earth if it happens.
    Imagine the Utd fans? Qualifying for the CL and then getting kicked out because of their 2 most hated rivals winning European silverware. Oh my.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

lacks desire
    simpsons-money-fight_81.gif

I'd say Sterling felt like an ass getting hooked at half time as we bollocked City the other day. lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

I'd say Sterling felt like an ass getting hooked at half time as we bollocked City the other day. lol.

Very bad management from Pelligrini, I thought. Made Sterling look very bad. He wasn't even playing that bad. If he stayed on flanagan I thought he would have got the better of him eventually in the second half as Flanagan was going in very hard and gave away 1 or 2 stupid frees. Jon was playing up to the crowd in a way, and any winger with a brain would have used that against him and tried to get him booked or sent off.

Firmino has really settled, Coutinho not feeling like he's the must be main man anymore and Sturridge's presence alone (even a 75% Sturridge at the mo) is lifting the team, the opposition have 2 or 3 matchwinners to worry about.

Can has come along nicely as he should really given how highly he is rated, 2nd season here now and he has 50+ PL games but he's only 22 still. He is no doubt stepping up.

Origi and even a misfiring Benteke are a handful off the bench.

Win our game in hand we are 4 pts off 4th with 9 games left, Man City have a far superior goal difference though.

West Ham playing Utd is an interesting game for us, I'd be hoping for a draw.

With Firmino & Lallana in good form and Coutinho & Sturridge hoping to hit top form over the next few games 4th is most certainly not out of the question for us.

He's more effective though to be fair as he's in a better 11 than he was last year, 6 goals in 26 PL appearances so far, he was 7 from 35 last year in the PL.

Over all games last year, 11 goals 52 appearances, this year 11 from 39.

I don't think he'll improve much more, he is what he is and to be fair he's 22 so not really at the bottom of a huge upward curve, I don't think Man City feel robbed. To be fair we probably got a few million more than he's worth but we've squandered plenty ourselves.

Sterling is by no means fantastic, in a front 3 he's not a patch on Sturridge :D

Firmino and Lallana replacing him is fine by me, many won't agree but such is opinion. (Money wise, I know Lallana was here a season before he left)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Talk of 4th is madness....finish above united and win uefa cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Costa just bit Barry on the neck..... The memories of our beautiful Luis have come flooding back :(

https://twitter.com/Latest_Footy/status/708733849900023808

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

flanzer wrote: »
    Costa just bit Barry on the neck..... The memories of our beautiful Luis have come flooding back :(

Be interesting to see how the faux outrage of the media plays out here........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Looks more like he was giving him a hickey.

Don't think he actually bit him, might have looked like it at one point alright.

• Advertisement

Bowlardo wrote: »

Man City are going to be focussing on the CL after today, finishing above Utd could well mean we are above City :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Don't think there was anything in it. Costa really is a sh!te 'Louie' in every department.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Augeo wrote: »
    Man City are going to be focussing on the CL after today, finishing above Utd could well mean we are above City :pac:

And finishing above United shouldn't be used as any kind of a benchmark at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Augme

Reminds me of my days back in Coppers.

Augme wrote: »
    Reminds me of my days back in Coppers.
    Would lads be biting you in the neck often in coppers?

I was expecting to see an outraged thread calling for the death penalty for Costa and pages of hyperbola about who will protect the children but, amazingly, it seems there isn't.

Go figure....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I will gladly eat humble pie as I did think Ibe could have pushed onto be better than Sterling...

I don't think that's the case after this season, even if poor Raheem hasn't exactly had the best of seasons himself, he is still better than Ibe it pains me to say...

Could never understand why Ibe was rated by some as better as Sterling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    He was rated potentially better considering has some better atributes such as taking on players,stronger & can actually strike the ball correctly. Sterling has much better movement & game intelligence though. But Ibe seems mentally fragile loses confidence very easily.

Winning the UEFA Cup is arguably more difficult.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

MD1990 wrote: »
    But Ibe seems mentally fragile loses confidence very easily.
    It's more than that. Sterling just has more natural ability when it comes to playing with the ball at feet, to spot a pass, or to link up with other players. The execution is not quite there yet at times, but he's very close to stepping up to the world class level. Next season will be make or break - personally, I fancy him to do well under Guardiola.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Southampton (a)
    Tottenham (h)
    Stoke (h)

Then..
    Bournemouth (a)
    Swansea (a)
    Watford (a)
    West Brom (a)

We also have games to be refixed both at home Everton and Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

The most worrying thing for Ibe is he doesn't press much at all. Unless he ups that considerably he won't last long under Klopp.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

We also have games to be refixed both at home Everton and Chelsea.

Yeah, we won't do it, which is why I gave up on the top 4 table thingey. I really think City are catchable, United are too inconsistent so West Ham it is.

Leicester, Spurs and the Hammers in the top 4 would be amazing. We can settle for the Europa beating Valencia 4-3 on penalties. Mig the hero.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

RoboKlopp wrote: »

I'm not sure anyone did, what i do remember seeing though was a lot of people including myself saying he could be as good as him.
    If St£rling can learn to finish his chances he will be world class and then 50m might seem cheap, just as i think 75m was cheap for Suarez, time will tell, make or break for both Ibe and St£erling next year me thinks.

I'll not write Ibe off just yet, if he can get back to the sort of form he showed when he first broke into the team and again after he was called back from loan then he has a future at LFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

K-9 wrote: »
    Yeah, we won't do it, which is why I gave up on the top 4 table thingey. I really think City are catchable, United are too inconsistent so West Ham it is.

Leicester, Spurs and the Hammers in the top 4 would be amazing. We can settle for the Europa beating Valencia 4-3 on penalties. Mig the hero.

You had that dream as well :cool:

• Advertisement

There's no point in writing off Ibe, selling him, or genearlly acting like he's running out of time.

Unless you're Klopp, you see him every day in training and you actually have evidence that that might be the case.

At this rate I'd be surprised if Ibe winds up being world class, but pretty much only players of that calibre are tearing up trees at his age, and many who go on to be still wouldn't be.

Being strong and fast is pretty much half the battle. We'll have to wait and see if he can go and do something with those attributes.

Most of his games came at a time when we had no options.
    Firstly, that means the team was worse, so pretty much everyone looked less impressive, but also, it's obvious that if the first teamers come back in, he's going to get fewer games, especially now that we've no cup ties against lower league opponents left.

To be honest, Ibe isn't worth sparing much of a thought over. We should expect nothing and if we're relying on a 20 year old then something has gone wrong with our squad management.

In 2 or 3 years time we'll have a proper answer. Until then we should probably spend our time worrying about our genuine first teamers, and not just youth players who were bumped up the queue due to injury and lack of signing any wingers.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭MentalMario

Augeo wrote: »
    Firmino has really settled, Coutinho not feeling like he's the must be main man anymore and Sturridge's presence alone (even a 75% Sturridge at the mo) is lifting the team, the opposition have 2 or 3 matchwinners to worry about.

Can has come along nicely as he should really given how highly he is rated, 2nd season here now and he has 50+ PL games but he's only 22 still. He is no doubt stepping up.

Origi and even a misfiring Benteke are a handful off the bench.

Win our game in hand we are 4 pts off 4th with 9 games left, Man City have a far superior goal difference though.

West Ham playing Utd is an interesting game for us, I'd be hoping for a draw.

With Firmino & Lallana in good form and Coutinho & Sturridge hoping to hit top form over the next few games 4th is most certainly not out of the question for us.

Yes it is.

THIS.

Why do you guys do it to yourselves?

Liverpool are more likely to finish 8th than 4th. We were dire against Palace for 70 odd minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

Days like this i miss mouriniho,how far would he have gone to take the headlines off costa

Liverpool are more likely to finish 8th than 4th. We were dire against Palace for 70 odd minutes.

You can give credit to the lads for working hard but if Palace hadn't handed us two goals we could still be out there a week later and still wouldn't have scored.

We were awful up front.

When Milner got sent off I was wondering how many we were going to lose by.
    Thankfully Palace first gave up attacking and then, completely unprompted, handed us 2 goals.

It was pretty much the same story as most games this season against less impressive teams - either becasue the lads aren't up for it or because Klopp doesn't tell us to, we don't press them with the same intensity as the big games and we don't have enough goals in the team, even with this fairly crocked version of Daniel Sturridge back up front, to orchestrate a coherent attack against set defences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Build Ibe up, now tear the boy down. He has the attributes and skills needed to part of a squad. What he needs to do is keep the ball full stop, be tidy. He can not beat people one on one, but he can beat anyone one on one with his pace and power.
    He needs to pick his moments to try and go pass someone, or to lay it off and use that pace and power to run in behind knowing that player he laid it off to will try find him. He can beat his man this way all day long, HE NEVER LAYS IT OFF, NEVER RUNS IN BEHIND.
    A simple chat with this guy could change his game and get him using the talent he has rather than him always trying to use talent he clearly hasn't.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement