Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 15/16

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Getting 6 more results in the EL against the calibre of teams that remains is surely tougher than winning the games we have left in the league?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Could never understand why Ibe was rated by some as better as Sterling.

It's because Sterling was on his way out of the club.

monkey9 wrote: »
    It's because Sterling was on his way out of the club.

Probably!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

noodler wrote: »
    Getting 6 more results in the EL against the calibre of teams that remains is surely tougher than winning the games we have left in the league?

Then when you add our game/s in hand and how ****e and inconsistent the teams in front of us are, yeah I'd say we've probably a better chance of making top four than what some people think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

I personally think we've a better chance of winning the Europa than coming 4th. City will surely kick into gear when the chips are down and we're hardly consistent ourselves, though we're on a good run of late. But on our day we can beat most teams. Assuming we get through, if we avoid the Spanish teams and Dortmund, we should make the semis imo. After that anything can happen. It's sounds more realistic to me than catching City over 10 games who are currently 7 points ahead with a better goal difference. We gained 2 points on City over the last 10 games each have played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Taken from the united thread, posted by Zerks.
    From a poster on Recafe:
    Hillsborough and Munich chants are way beyond the pale. There's families on Merseyside that had to fight long and hard to get the truth about what happened to their loved ones that day. The full might of the State was arrayed against them. Thatcher's tame media puppets demonised innocent people for years, while backing the police who covered the whole thing up and allowed the lie, the great lie that Liverpool fans robbed the corpses of their own dead, to fester and gain ground. If anything, we should show solidarity with them. For a working class United fan to sing about 'the Sun" is a disgrace. Murdoch has done more to crush us than most and we fawn over his fecking rag like it's holy writ. Shame.

Liverpool fans might do well to remember Munich and the shameful way the establishment treated United afterwards. Our entry into the European Cup was fought by none other than Alan Hardaker, secretary of the Football League. His views on Europeans were well known, as was his antipathy to a competition he called a 'waste of time'. That plane took off at Munich that day so that United could get back home within three days of the upcoming fixture against Wolves, or forfeit the match. A decimated United were sportingly offered a wild card place bu UEFA for the 1958-59 competition. Hardaker refused to allow us to compete.

The great Santiago Bernabeu offered to lend Alfredo di Stefano to United after Munich. The move was blocked by the FA. If it were not for the generosity of Real Madrid, United may not have survived. We owe a great deal to Real and to the memory of Santiago Bernabeu. We owe nothing to the FA.

Liverpool pride themselves, quite rightly, for winning five European Cups. But were it not for the persistence of Matt Busby and Jimmy Murphy in their defiance of the establishment, the road they took might not have been so successfully followed by Bob Paisley decades later.

United and Liverpool are, to paraphrase Redman, 'very much alike'. I'm not suggesting we all hold hands and sing happy tunes together but for heaven's sake stop pissing on the graves of the dead. Honour them and let them rest in peace.

Liverpool to finish Top4 11/2 best price with PaddyPower, most firms 5/1
    Liverpool to win Europa League 6/1

1 in 3.5 ish chance of either one happening :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

5starpool wrote: »
    We still have a chance of top 4, but despite playing better recently, I'm still very sceptical that we can be consistent enough to get there. My ideal look for top 4 this season would be though (well, ideal given teams relative positions now)

Leicester
    Spurs
    Liverpool
    West Ham

I like it because (and you probably have noticed this already) it would be a completely different Top 4 to last years, the first time this has happened to any of the leagues who send 4 teams to the CL (pretty sure its never happened in the 3 place leagues either)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Taken from the united thread, posted by Zerks.

That isn't a post by zerks, it's a copy of a post from another site.

It's whataboutery crap. Chants don't need to be compared or excused in any way whatsoever.

Just condemn them when they happen and stop comparing and contrasting. That's just politicising it, like Trump saying "they started it".

If some Liverpool fans make Munich chants, no reflection on me. United fan about Hillsborough, no reflection on them.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

City are in a freefall at the moment and don't look like they will be in the top 4, what do you expect when you have a manager who is doing reasonably well and you appoint someone to take over the job next season. It has to undermine the existing managers confidence and control of the dressing room

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,979 ✭✭✭doc_17

Be great to finish ahead of city! It's a real pity we don't have a few more points as we seem to be hitting form but we might just have left ourselves with a wee bit too much to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Southampton away, everton and stoke at home will be tough games out of our games remaining. Dont fear chelsea at anfield i reckon they wont be arsed. Outside chance for top four but if we dont id love to see west ham do it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Henderson to Spurs is the unexpected chatter in the comics today. I'd happily let him leave sell him for £25m if Klopp can get who he wants for CM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Henderson to Spurs is the unexpected chatter in the comics today. I'd happily let him leave sell him for £25m if Klopp can get who he wants for CM

That was from the s*n apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

DrumSteve wrote: »
    That was from the s*n apparently.

It's almost certainly bull**** but I wouldn't be distraught if he left. He isn't captain material at all and he's one of those players who does everything quite well but doesn't excel at anything.
    I do think that his injury has held him back a lot recently but we could definitely upgrade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

One thing is for sure if Henderson is here next season he should not be the club captain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I would hate to see team end up with only foreign players. We need Liverpool players and English ones. Henderson would be a loss.
    That Man U team we beat only had Smalling in it, and it was obvious there was no passion from all those imports on field.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

It would be madness to sell Henderson. Can't see that happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

It would be madness to sell Henderson. Can't see that happening.

It would be madness, unless there's no hope of his plantar fasciitis clearing up. He was really good for us the last two years, this year isn't a fair reflection of what he's capable of.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Balotelli has 'psychological' issues leading to him not scoring.

http://www.football-italia.net/81219/galliani-balotelli-not-delivering

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Arsenal out of FA Cup reduces the chances of 7th getting a Europa place, and increases the chances of 6th being the booby prize of two qualifying rounds starting in late July.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Arsenal out of FA Cup reduces the chances of 7th getting a Europa place, and increases the chances of 6th being the booby prize of two qualifying rounds starting in late July.

Baaically the winner of the match this afternoon has to win the cup (and finish in the top 6) to make 7th in the league get the spot.

Palace, Watford, Everton and West Ham (if they win) would be the most unusual semi final quartet for quite some years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Götze being linked with Liverpool. Was asked about it after the Bayern game, laughed and just said "talk to Jurgen"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

oooooooooooooooooooooooh! another No 10. Can't wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

https://secure.setantasubs.com/boioffer/

We have some games on these channels shirely.

I signed up. Hope it works before europa replay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Götze being linked with Liverpool. Was asked about it after the Bayern game, laughed and just said "talk to Jurgen"

Wouldn't turn my nose up at him anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

https://twitter.com/DeinSkySport/status/708950369393635328

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

He's better than any of ours, would be a brilliant signing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Surely Ancelloti could make use of him as Pep for someone who supposedly requested him sure as hell didn't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

He's better than any of ours, would be a brilliant signing.
    Just like getting klopp it would be a real statement of intent from fsg and finally a marque signing by them

• Advertisement

I wonder will be linked with any player this summer who doesn't play in Germany? It'd be great to get one of those big name guys though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

If getting Götze meant we'd have little money left to buy a top GK, CM & WG then I'd pass. Playing either Coutinho, Firmino or Götze out wide would not work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Do not see the point in getting Gotze. Good player who has regressed since leaving Dortmund. A pacy winger or a striker is what we need. No Gotze is not better than Coutinho or Firmino either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

MD1990 wrote: »
    Do not see the point in getting Gotze. Good player who has regressed since leaving Dortmund. A pacy winger or a striker is what we need. No Gotze is not better than Coutinho or Firmino either.

He is, to be fair. He's played at a level the two lads haven't reached yet.

If getting Götze meant we'd have little money left to buy a top GK, CM & WG then I'd pass. Playing either Coutinho, Firmino or Götze out wide would not work.

WG? Winger I assume?

I think GK, left back and CM should be the priority. I think there will be a good bit of activity though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

If we can get Götze in the summer, I'm honestly fine with shipping Coutinho off to Barca if they come calling. I've always rated him highly, was really into Dortmund a few years back when they were dominating the Bundesliga and he looked like a young Zidane, if he can become half as good as him, he'd be a wonderful signing.

The fact that he loves Klopp makes it all the more likely.

If Barcelona try to buy Coutinho this summer I will be utterly amazed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Knex. wrote: »
    He is, to be fair. He's played at a level the two lads haven't reached yet.
    He is playing for great teams in Bayern & Germany. But he doesn't make either first 11. Not saying he isn't a very good player & but I don't think its worth paying 30m + when we are very strong is his position. We need a winger badly & a quality one will cost 25m+.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Coutinho is'nt ready for Barca ...Yet

Don't know that much about Gotze, watched him play for Germany a few times and maybe for Dortmund back in the day but i think we really need someone who can play in the middle of the park and dominate a game, an Alonso type player who can link the play, that's got to be priority for me, LB and GK only after we address the CM issue.

If Barcelona try to buy Coutinho this summer I will be utterly amazed.
    +1

We're still talking about Coutinho reaching his potential. He does so occasionally but needs to do so on a much more consistent basis before he would even remotely interest Barca.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

+1

We're still talking about Coutinho reaching his potential. He does so occasionally but needs to do so on a much more consistent basis before he would even remotely interest Barca.

He'll be 24 in June, big 12 months coming for him.

A DOrtmund fan died during their game against Mainz and both sets of fans respond by singing YNWA:(

https://twitter.com/RNBVB/status/709081345323114496

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

WG? Winger I assume?

I think GK, left back and CM should be the priority. I think there will be a good bit of activity though.

Ye Winger, do you not think we need a forward player that offers width? Or speed when Sturridge not available?

Also is the LB at Leicester, Ben Chidwell I think, any good? Surely he'd be playing a bit more regularly If we've been this strongly linked to him, what are we basing his talent on?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

The Irishkop Feedback System for Tickets is Back

For new users, the idea here is we want your Irishkop trade rating to become like your ebay rating for buying LFC tickets in Ireland. We are aware of people who move loads of tickets in Ireland and who don't use this system. This should raise some alarm bells if you are new to buying tickets.

I could have had this up and running in a day or so but I wanted to bring the old data with us to this new set-up, and this is why we had a long delay. Anyway its all sorted now and back in action.

The old feedback system is now called Trade. You should see a drop down menu at the top of this page. Have a little play around with it and you will see we have a lot more options. I think you will all agree that buying and selling tickets is a huge part of this site, so building this database of good (and not so good) people to deal with is a massive help. Its why I did not want to just leave all the old data. We are unique in having this information, so please help the system by adding to it.

So I would ask you all to fill out feedback for any member you have got sorted with over the last while, this is good for both testing the new feature and will help us all get back into the routine of giving feedback. For more info see http://www.irishkop.com/forums/index.php?threads/the-feedback-system-for-tickets-is-back.26038/

Ye Winger, do you not think we need a forward player that offers width? Or speed when Sturridge not available?

Also is the LB at Leicester, Ben Chidwell I think, any good? Surely he'd be playing a bit more regularly If we've been this strongly linked to him, what are we basing his talent on?

I'm not sure what way Klopp will want to play really. I think he will probably favour players who can be essentially interchangeable rather than out and out wingers, so I don't think it is a priority.

As for that lad from Leicester, I've heard us linked with him a few times, but he's only 18 I believe, so surely not the answer for us. I tend to forget about Gomez (who I know is only a kid as well basically) so I wonder will he be an option for LB or will he be trying to be a contender among our lot of CB's?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,041 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Markovic will most likely be back next season to add that dimension for free anyway. Looks like he's gained a bit of physicality and determination from the bits I've seen of him at Fener.

I think Klopp will be much better for him than Rodgers was anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

ricero wrote: »
    Just like getting klopp it would be a real statement of intent from fsg and finally a marque signing by them

Suarez was quite the marquee signing I thought at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

There's no realistic situation that wouldn't make me widdle my pants at us signing Gotze... he's a class above anyone we have at the club atm and would be a monsterous signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I'm not sure what way Klopp will want to play really. I think he will probably favour players who can be essentially interchangeable rather than out and out wingers, so I don't think it is a priority.

As for that lad from Leicester, I've heard us linked with him a few times, but he's only 18 I believe, so surely not the answer for us. I tend to forget about Gomez (who I know is only a kid as well basically) so I wonder will he be an option for LB or will he be trying to be a contender among our lot of CB's?

Isn't the Dortmund thing basically having 1 winger like Blascyhlkwoski (**** spelling that correctly) with 2 AM's that can fill in out wide as the need arises?

It could spell trouble for one of our lads, but my hope is that the Utd lineup is what we're aiming towards in most games - 4 attacking players, one of which is nominally playing in midfield, rather than the 3+3 we've seen too much of this season.

So our hypothetical strongest team would be (with backups):

Sturridge/Ings/Orgi

Firmino---Gotze/Coutinho/Lallana--New Winger/Ings/Origi

Coutinho/Lallana/Milner
    Hendo
    Can/Milner/Lucas/

With the likes of Grujic, Markovic and Ibe seldom rotating for a spot on the bench and mostly featuring in the cups.

People have been clamouring for all kinds of new midfielders but I just don't see it.

Even with his relative loss of form with the injury, Hendo has been excellent of late. How many games are we going to play against a team with a significantly better midfielder than him? I'd say maybe half a dozen a season (more if we're in the CL).

I reckon Can will be the best midfielder in the league in 2 years time. He's just 22 a couple of months ago and he's playing like a seasoned CL veteran already.
    There's still going to be ups and downs, and we could do with him posing a greater goal threat but he looks like the real deal.

Then we have Grujic to come through, decent backup in Allen, Milner and Lucas and the reserve/youth lads have looked the part in the kinds of games they're likely to play in (cups).

At some stage I think we'll be looking for someone. Hendo/Can isn't a dominant PL pairing or a competetive one for the CL knockout stages.

If both Lucas and Allen are looking for more chances and leave then we'd need another body to come in regardless, so I could see another midfielder of some sort coming in to replace them.

But what kind of player that would be is another thing.
    For me they should be another project player - another Can or Grujic.
    Or they should be the absolute highest quality (and cost dump-trucks-full of cash).
    There's no point on a sort of middle of the road £20m lad who can slot in seamlessly because it doesn't get our squad anywhere ever.

• Advertisement

Gbear wrote: »

So our hypothetical strongest team would be (with backups):

Sturridge/Ings/Orgi

Firmino---Gotze/Coutinho/Lallana--New Winger/Ings/Origi

Coutinho/Lallana/Milner
    Hendo
    Can/Milner/Lucas/

That's 7 bolded, only 3 at the back so ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement