Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 15/16

Comments

Good riddance Ayre!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

All this needs now is for Ward to announce that he's Ayre's agent, and that he wouldn't stay as CEO for any salary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

While we're discussing Ian Ayre, Swiss Ramble has a piece on Liverpools growing financial power.

http://swissramble.blogspot.ie/2016/03/liverpool-over-wall.html

While we're discussing Ian Ayre, Swiss Ramble has a piece on Liverpools growing financial power.

I felt like I was in a k-hole by the time I was half-way down that article.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

cjmc wrote: »
    Prick :)

Nicely done ;)

If my post offended anyone then I'm sorry. It was just a joke though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

I've read shorter books! :p

To be fair it was a good read, although i only got about half way down.
    Couple of interesting points, i did'nt realise how much in the sh1t we were before FSG, i knew it was bad all right but some of the numbers from those times are scary!

A good run in the EL will be needed this year to make up for the shortfall we'll see this summer, i can't see us selling any major players like we have done the last two summers and the new TV deal won't show up in this years accounts.
    Rumours have it Klopp will be given a ton of money to spend so we need to bring it in elsewhere as we won't get it through player sales, i would'nt expect Benteke to fetch anymore than 20m odd if he does go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Ayre hasn't really done much wrong.

His brief was to bring players who had no interest coming here to the club and following up the targets of our management team.

In the past 2 seasons we've got most of our business done early and signed most of our targets.
    Unfortunately, the big deals saw us gazumped by better options but there's only so much any person at the club can do about that.

His replacement won't have any easier a job.

The club is an awful lot better off for having had Ayre involved with it and we'll reap the benefits of his stewardship for decades to come.

corwill wrote: »

I had to give up after 2 minutes. Ended up wishing it was a link to the Kate Cohen article instead :o

corwill wrote: »
    :D
    I've read shorter books! :p

To be fair it was a good read, although i only got about half way down.
    Couple of interesting points, i did'nt realise how much in the sh1t we were before FSG, i knew it was bad all right but some of the numbers from those times are scary!

A good run in the EL will be needed this year to make up for the shortfall we'll see this summer, i can't see us selling any major players like we have done the last two summers and the new TV deal won't show up in this years accounts.
    Rumours have it Klopp will be given a ton of money to spend so we need to bring it in elsewhere as we won't get it through player sales, i would'nt expect Benteke to fetch anymore than 20m odd if he does go.
    It's a pretty dense read, alright.

The comparisons between the 'top 6' was interesting, just seeing how much we have improved in 5 years on the commercial side compared to the rest and just how far behind the 2 manchester clubs we still remain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Sounds like it was his decision to leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I read the whole thing twice cos I'm interested in this sort of thing. :o

I read the whole thing twice cos I'm interested in this sort of thing. :o

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Good riddance Ayre!

Assuming you are serious I'd be interested to hear why.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

The actual official Liverpool Store are selling these. No, not some fella at the side of the street, shouting, "hats, scarfs, t-shirts, and headbands".

The Official Store.

a6846_2.jpg

Twenty fecking quid, mate.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I'm surprised we haven't seen any leaked kit for next season yet. Usually well leaked by now aren't they? I haven't seen anything so far, perhaps I've missed it though?

Knex. wrote: »
    The actual official Liverpool Store are selling these. No, not some fella at the side of the street, shouting, "hats, scarfs, t-shirts, and headbands".

The Official Store.

a6846_2.jpg

Twenty fecking quid, mate.

Reason Ayre's getting the road, right there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Nicely done ;)

If my post offended anyone then I'm sorry. It was just a joke though.

Iu offendfe me :)
    Actually not really,:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

If Ayre is to go is it not in our interest to get someone in now - if he has another offer would he not be influential with transfers - and if heading somewhere else in 17 maybe he will not do us any favours regarding same??

I could be wrong of course he could be retiring altogether!

Gbear wrote: »
    Ayre hasn't really done much wrong.

His brief was to bring players who had no interest coming here to the club and following up the targets of our management team.

In the past 2 seasons we've got most of our business done early and signed most of our targets.
    Unfortunately, the big deals saw us gazumped by better options but there's only so much any person at the club can do about that.

His replacement won't have any easier a job.

The club is an awful lot better off for having had Ayre involved with it and we'll reap the benefits of his stewardship for decades to come.

On the recruitment side that's very true.

However on the commercial money in side the role he's been doing (and doing very well indeed) might change somewhat as the revenue stream in has grown so an element of managing that and growing it slowly rather than fast growth may be required, quite different a role.

His replacement is crucial really, LFC is a World brand but the role may not suit a wallstreet type non football chap, or it well might :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

5starpool wrote: »
    I'm surprised we haven't seen any leaked kit for next season yet. Usually well leaked by now aren't they? I haven't seen anything so far, perhaps I've missed it though?

That Tshirt should be the jersey next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,041 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

5starpool wrote: »

This was leaked a wee while back, not sure how legit it is though;

ltqvNs8.jpg

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Oh yeah, I remember seeing that. I like the black one. Nothing on the home kit though.

Had forgotten about them myself, black one is nice but not a patch on this seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    He's one of the main reasons our commercial partnerships and revenue got pulled out of the dark ages. He gets a lot of **** over transfer negotiations, but frankly we don't have a notion how much he was at fault in any particular instance, so it's hard to judge.

He seemed like a good chap, and I quite liked that there was a genuine Liverpool guy in charge, a lifelong local fan who you could always say had the clubs best interests at heart.

I know Ayre is mainly known for his contribution to the commercial side but I reckon he played a blinder in landing Jurgen Klopp. Back in October some of us were positively sh1tting ourselves that we were going to end up with someone like Gary Monk but all the time Ayre was working behind the scenes to land Klopp. I don't think any of us have been so happy with a managerial appointment in such a long time that Ayre deserves real credit for getting his man.

I think Grayditch is a cartoonist for the Guardian. Although its probably not quite on his level.

Grayditch-lite, if you will.

4AfcoTf.jpg

Position:
    Not first.

I love the Leicester City story. As someone said here yesterday, hopefully we can beat Spurs in two weeks time, and hand Ranieri and the lads the PL trophy.

As for our own fate, the small but growing talk of a late charge for Top 4, I don't really get. We're too far behind, and show no real signs of catching up, and overtaking, all those above us.

EL will be our best chance of securing CL football next year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Yuup i think top four is just to much to ask for but if we are to beat the saints away on sunday we have a good chance considering our two games in hand are at anfield to a poor chelsea team and an everton team focused on the fa cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    This was leaked a wee while back, not sure how legit it is though;

ltqvNs8.jpg

Horrible jersies.

We have as little chance of winning the EL as finishing in the Top4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Horrible jersies.

Black one is lovely I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

ricero wrote: »
    Yuup i think top four is just to much to ask for but if we are to beat the saints away on sunday we have a good chance considering our two games in hand are at anfield to a poor chelsea team and an everton team focused on the fa cup

Liverpool haven't always been able to do the job against poor Chelsea teams at Anfield though!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Looking at the points and fixture lists of the current top 4, the only 'guaranteed' qualifier I can see is Leicester-even Spurs could still get dragged down due to a tough run of games. Man City are in freefall and the Arse aren't much better so I reckon one or both of these will drop out. Obviously it would take an immense run of form to take advantage, but it's far from impossible.
    My prediction? We'll all be glued to the City-Arse game on the penultimate matchday praying for a particular result...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

The everton and Chelsea games have been rescheduled everton Apr 20th Chelsea may 11 both wed night games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Everton game takes place in the week before their FA Cup semi final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Augeo wrote: »
    His replacement is crucial really, LFC is a World brand but the role may not suit a wallstreet type non football chap, or it well might :confused:
    Nicola Cortese is the obvious candidate. He'd be a good fit with both FSG and Klopp.

Southampton: Nicola Cortese on his St Mary's reign as chairman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Knex. wrote: »
    As for our own fate, the small but growing talk of a late charge for Top 4, I don't really get. We're too far behind, and show no real signs of catching up, and overtaking, all those above us.

EL will be our best chance of securing CL football next year

I dont think we'll get top 4 and I dont think many have seriously said we will, but I understand a little bit of optimism. We've gotten 10 points from our last 5 games. Yes West Ham, Spurs and Leicester have matched that, but we are actually showing some form.

Personally I'd like to see more of what we've seen against United/City consistently. But thats the big problem.....and even if we match our 2 ppg over the next 10 games we'll likely miss out on top 4 anyway.

As for the Europa league.....thats a big ask also with plenty of big teams left as well as a big game at OT yet to come.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Everton game takes place in the week before their FA Cup semi final.

Flights and hotel just booked now for the Everton game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I know Ayre is mainly known for his contribution to the commercial side but I reckon he played a blinder in landing Jurgen Klopp. Back in October some of us were positively sh1tting ourselves that we were going to end up with someone like Gary Monk but all the time Ayre was working behind the scenes to land Klopp. I don't think any of us have been so happy with a managerial appointment in such a long time that Ayre deserves real credit for getting his man.

Klopp is our parting gift from Ayre, he leaves on a high point as far as I'm concerned. Not that I'm an anorak about club finances, but we are stronger financially now than in recent past, so all in all you would have to say he did a decent job and served the club well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Really don't get the hate for Ayre. Yes, he missed out on a few players, players that mostly went to better clubs than us right now and with better opportunities. He was also around for some of our better signings as well.
    He really should get a lot of credit for bringing Liverpool out of the commercial Bronze Age into the commericial Iron Age.
    It really can't be underestimated, the importance of that. Sure, some don't like that we are whoring ourselves out to dunkin' donuts and really pushing the Liverpool brand but to stay competitive, it's needed.
    For a club, whose last big win was over ten years ago and have floundered in and around 5-7th, he did really well to get revenues up and now the club is in great shape off the field and with Klopp(who we had no right getting) on the sidelines, things look good going forward.
    Ayre, in my book, has been good and deserves a lot of credit.

I don't know whether to laugh or to cry.

The ref in the EL game on Thursday night is even more card happy than the last ref and was voted the worst ref at the world cup:confused:

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/manchester-united-v-liverpool-second-11042222

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

I don't know whether to laugh or to cry.

The ref in the EL game on Thursday night is even more card happy than the last ref and was voted the worst ref at the world cup:confused:

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/manchester-united-v-liverpool-second-11042222

Devastating. Fellaini may actually get sent off this time. :(

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Really don't get the hate for Ayre. Yes, he missed out on a few players, players that mostly went to better clubs than us right now and with better opportunities. He was also around for some of our better signings as well.
    He really should get a lot of credit for bringing Liverpool out of the commercial Bronze Age into the commericial Iron Age.
    It really can't be underestimated, the importance of that. Sure, some don't like that we are whoring ourselves out to dunkin' donuts and really pushing the Liverpool brand but to stay competitive, it's needed.
    For a club, whose last big win was over ten years ago and have floundered in and around 5-7th, he did really well to get revenues up and now the club is in great shape off the field and with Klopp(who we had no right getting) on the sidelines, things look good going forward.
    Ayre, in my book, has been good and deserves a lot of credit.

The frustrations felt with missing out on targets in the last few years is understandable, but we need to keep in mind what was going on aside from just trying to sign a given player, or at least what I think was also going on.

I think there's been a concerted effort to reboot the way in which the transfer market views the club. And by "the transfer market", I mean the clubs and agents that Ayre found himself across the table from.

And what was that view of the transfer market that needed changing? Let's be honest, what did those clubs and agents see when they looked across the negotiating table. They didn't see the most successful club in English football. They saw the lads who had spent £35m on Andy Carroll, £20m on Stewart Downing, £10m on Diouf back in 2002, when £10m was real money.

In other words, they saw the softest touch out there, serial cot-$hitters. Everyone we've been linked with in the last 15 years or so, the price goes up a good 25% when our interest is noted. And it's still a lingering issue, look at some of the recent nonsense with the likes of Teixara at Shaktar and Konoplyanka at Dnipro (Dnipro, ffs, treating us like fannies!).

That had to stop, and it could only be stopped the hard way. By going into negotiations and holding a tough line, refusing to have our balls hauled over our heads, just like Commoli and Parry did for so many years. Basically, retraining the market to have a bit of respect for the club.

If Ayre and whoever succeeds him stick to their guns, the benefits will accrue to the club for years, decades, to come, and we mostly might not even be aware of it.

Anyway, that's just what I think might have been going on, maybe I'm overthinking it.

I've got nothing against Ayre. He did a lot of good for the club. I do think he was maybe overseeing a few too many different things though...should have just been in charge of the commercial side of things. We should have had and still do need a DOF imo.

• Advertisement

Sterling on the bench again tonight. Things haven't gone too well for him at city. I'd imagine pep will sign a couple of attacking players that will push him even further down the pecking order. He really would have been best served staying where he was for a couple more seasons.

Meh, we fleeced City for 50 million, he got a league cup and will most likely get a league medal for sitting on the bench at some stage over the next few seasons, while Ward got his payday....everyone won.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Meh, we fleeced City for 50 million, he got a league cup and will most likely get a league medal for sitting on the bench at some stage over the next few seasons, while Ward got his payday....everyone won.

I wasn't overly dissapointed when he left. His technique particularly his crossing and shooting left a lot to be desired. His pace masks a fair few issues in his game which haven't really improved despite him now playing with better players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,041 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Sterling on the bench again tonight. Things haven't gone too well for him at city. I'd imagine pep will sign a couple of attacking players that will push him even further down the pecking order. He really would have been best served staying where he was for a couple more seasons.

He's still started 32 games with 11 goals all comps, not too bad to be honest for a 21 year old.

Think in the long run it'll prove to have been a good buy for them, and a good move for him.

Also think he's the sort of player Pep would actually really like in his squad.

His finishing is still his biggest issue, but he's young enough to improve upon that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I don;t recall this being reported on at all here, so almost 9 months late another wonderkid is joining but not until he turns 16 (!)

Practically child snatching!

EddiTA.jpg

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/liverpool-beat-rivals-manchester-united-everton-and-manchester-city-to-sign-14-year-old-wonderkid-10444840.html

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement