Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 15/16

Comments

Yeah , Jurgen Klopp.

The reason being they aren't in the CL ;)
    ie quite beatable over 2 legs by the Liverpool squad imo.

I don't think the squad assembled by Rodgers is that crap really. It was Rodgers use of it that was crap.

I think it's a very good squad.

It's after knitting together quite well over the course of the season.

Rodgers didn't get the best out of it last season due to hangover from 2014/2015 imo, fresh face was needed in the dug out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Augeo wrote: »
    The reason being they aren't in the CL ;)
    ie quite beatable over 2 legs by the Liverpool squad imo.

To be fair, Leicester and Spurs aren't in the CL either and I wouldn't fancy us to beat them over two legs.

It's a bit unfair to judge the quality of Dortmund based on last season, if Klopp got them into the top 4 in Germany last season, they'd go quite far in the CL at his year. The only teams that have impressed me more in Europe this season have been Bayern and Barca.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I don't think the squad assembled by Rodgers is that crap really. It was Rodgers use of it that was crap.

I'd still get rid of a few and upgrade on them if the money is there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

SlickRic wrote: »
    Dortmund will be the best team Liverpool play this season.

I can't wait to find out which players are ready to step up to the standard that will be required, hopefully, for the foreseeable future.

The dead wood will be found out, without question.

Reus, Mkhitaryan and Aubameyang is like nothing we have faced since Real Madrid last season.

A brilliant tie.

Good point.

Yeah its a win win situation for Klopp. He's not really expected to win but it would be some achievement if he does.

And realistically an ideal match for him. This tie will play a factor who'll be around next season and who is going to be shown the door. It will also show us who the real captain is. Can't see Henderson stepping up to the plate.

martyos121 wrote: »
    To be fair, Leicester and Spurs aren't in the CL either and I wouldn't fancy us to beat them over two legs.

It's a bit unfair to judge the quality of Dortmund based on last season, if Klopp got them into the top 4 in Germany last season, they'd go quite far in the CL at his year. The only teams that have impressed me more in Europe this season have been Bayern and Barca.

Who have BD played in Europe this season?

I would most definitely fancy us to beat Leic & Spurs over 2 legs, we are one of the few teams to have beaten Leicester.

Our squad is now mostly fit & available.

Augeo wrote: »
    Who have BD played in Europe this season?

I would most definitely fancy us to beat Leic & Spurs over 2 legs, we are one of the few teams to have beaten Leicester.

Our squad is now mostly fit & available.

Sorry I worded that badly, I meant in all European leagues, not in European competition.

Yeah I'd like to think we could beat Leicester and Spurs over two legs, but consistency has been a major issue for us this season and being the pessimist I am, I wouldn't see it happening tbh.

I think it'll take a monumental effort to beat Dortmund over two legs but that isn't to say it can't be done, Klopp knows that squad inside out and I'm sure he keeps up to date with their performances, he has a lot of friends still at that club.

In short, I'm just more pessimistic than you are, which I'd love to change. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Emre Can called up to the latest German squad, well deserved too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Can't understand people not wanting Dortmund
    You live for games like these and I'd rather face them over two legs than in a final

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

We can definitely beat Dortmund over 2 legs, particularly as Klopp knows the squad inside out - their strengths and weaknesses.

I really didnt want to meet them untill the final but maybe we have a better chance this way, over the 2 legs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Seems much fitter under Klopp. Used to always get very tired after 60 minutes before but can keep going now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Grujic called up to Serbia squad for first time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

J Mysterio wrote: »
    We can definitely beat Dortmund over 2 legs, particularly as Klopp knows the squad inside out - their strengths and weaknesses.

I really didnt want to meet them untill the final but maybe we have a better chance this way, over the 2 legs.

If the generally accepted position is that Dortmund are (currently) a better team than us then playing them over 90 minutes would give us a better chance of winning than over 180 minutes. Over time higher quality is more likely to win through. That's why, for example, in snooker the final of a tournament is usually over a much larger number of frames than the earlier rounds.

The shorter the match the much better chance the underdog will cause an upset.

Still want to enjoy 180 minutes of LFC Vs BD though!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I wanted Sparta Prague in terms of progression, but I don't mind Dortmund at all. It's a great tie, a chance to cement great relations between the clubs and I do think we can get through. Dortmund will be favourites and righly so but it's a tie to savour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Yea, its great to get a big challenge in Dortmund but I'd have not lost any sleep if we completely avoided them and got the easy draw all the way personally. Sure, it'll probably be frowned on but I'd rather progression than a glamour tie, and yes we probably need to beat them if we wanted to win the Europa league anyway but I'd take a one off final against them than a two leg any day, not saying we are definitely good enough to stroll to the final. Many probably wont agree but we are miles behind Dortmund currently.....

• Advertisement

NukaCola wrote: »
    Yea, its great to get a big challenge in Dortmund but I'd have not lost any sleep if we completely avoided them and got the easy draw all the way personally. Sure, it'll probably be frowned on but I'd rather progression than a glamour tie, and yes we probably need to beat them if we wanted to win the Europa league anyway but I'd take a one off final against them than a two leg any day, not saying we are definitely good enough to stroll to the final. Many probably wont agree but we are miles behind Dortmund currently.....
    Probably, but 6 of the 8 CL teams were eliminated last night.

The gap between those left in the EL and the second tier of the CL isn't huge, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Podolski, Schweinsteiger & Rudiger called up too......:eek:
    I know he probably is still with the u21's but Weigl at Dortmund should be with the senior side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Probably, but 6 of the 8 CL teams were eliminated last night.

The gap between those left in the EL and the second tier of the CL isn't huge, imo.

Had Dortmund been in the CL I dont think they'd have been knocked out in the groups. I wouldn't call them a second tier CL club either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Bastian is living on past glories at this stage. Still kills me to see him on the pitch these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

Borussia Dortmund are on a different level to us.

They have the quality to be a regular in the Champions League quarter-finals, its just down to nightmare season that they're cruising in the Europa League this year.

I just don't see us getting past them over 2 legs, but that's okay - it'll be a real test, and they're going to be the best team we play this season so lets see how we measure up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭PaddyWilliams

I hold out hope that we can raise ourselves to a higher level against Dortmund. Some of our best performances have come this season against the better teams, so no reason why it can't happen again.. Hopefully!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Dortmund are the one team I really don't fancy us beating over two legs. Couldn't ask for a harder draw tbh. I'm not ruling us out but we're definite underdogs here.

On the plus side, this is really exciting.

It will be good to see the Dortmund players auditioning for a move to play for Klopp next season and the Liverpool players trying to show him they want to be here next season :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,038 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

We had to play Dortmund at some stage if we were gonna win the cup so it might as well be now when we're playing ok and getting some results rather than the end of the season when maybe we're not doing so well. If we can beat Dortmund it's our cup to lose imo.

Yup, happy with this - the teams to avoid were the tricky middle of the road ones that will get weeded out by the best teams before the final/semi but could have caused us problems. If we kept progressing, we were gonna face Dortmund at some point - so either the weakest or the strongest were the best options to face.

Also now's a better time than most to face them, with the German league still actually winnable for them (5 points behind, 8 games left).

This also lets us know where we stand at a good time - if we get past them, we should be looking to win the competition. If we get knocked out, there's still time to devote everything to the league and 4th place (if we manage to hang in there with some decent results against Southampton, Spurs and Stoke over the next few weeks).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,660 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Bastian is living on past glories at this stage. Still kills me to see him on the pitch these days.

Not 100% sure it was him ( as i was getting pissed:) ) but he had a gut Molby would be proud of

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Finally a big team.

Ya bollix, you plagiarised my joke and got more of the thanks. Reported.

It will be good to see the Dortmund players auditioning for a move to play for Klopp next season and the Liverpool players trying to show him they want to be here next season :p

You're a real glass half full kinda guy : pac:

I think that's not far off the mark for all our players tbh.

I was prompted by your post to try and find my one when he signed which dismissed him as an old man who'd be blowing hard by the new year, anyway I ended up on the Man Utd super-dooper thread for last summer when he and Shneiderlin were signed. To see the giddy excitement of July become such anger now is...........highly amusing! :pac:

NukaCola wrote: »
    Had Dortmund been in the CL I dont think they'd have been knocked out in the groups. I wouldn't call them a second tier CL club either.

I was thinking more about us being in/heading into the second tier.

A few good signings and a bit of luck could see us in the top 4 next year.

Next year is always our year though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

GiftofGab wrote: »
    Good point.

Yeah its a win win situation for Klopp. He's not really expected to win but it would be some achievement if he does.

And realistically an ideal match for him. This tie will play a factor who'll be around next season and who is going to be shown the door. It will also show us who the real captain is. Can't see Henderson stepping up to the plate.

We could do worse than offer the arm-band to Philippe in the summer, if he plans on knockin about for a while longer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Question about Skrtel, should we get rid of him this Summer? If he'd be happy being our main centre half substitute I'd like to hold on to him. Been a great servant to the club and has a wealth of experience to boot.

magma69 wrote: »
    Question about Skrtel, should we get rid of him this Summer? If he'd be happy being our main centre half substitute I'd like to hold on to him. Been a great servant to the club and has a wealth of experience to boot.

He's not great, wouldn't be sorry to see him leave. If he's here next season I certainly hope he won't play many games.

I was prompted by your post to try and find my one when he signed which dismissed him as an old man who'd be blowing hard by the new year, anyway I ended up on the Man Utd super-dooper thread for last summer when he and Shneiderlin were signed. To see the giddy excitement of July become such anger now is...........highly amusing! :pac:

There were quite a few who highlighted his decline back in the summer but as usual where that lot are concerned (see criticism of De Gea, not buying into the Martial hype) it gets shouted down. It's good to see them having no choice but to admit to it now.

Of those players in contract Skrtel should be one of the first out the door. When he can't keep out of bother in a U21s its time to go! I'm not missing his solo dropping deeper tactics at all.

Skrtel is a pretty awful defender and he's got by so long by scoring from corners and making last ditch clearances which look flashy but are fully expected of a Premier League centre half.

When he's in the back line, more often than not he creates chaos within it similar to a firework in an antique shop.

He needs to go.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

With Lovren and Sakho doing very well lately, and Matip coming in this summer it'll be interesting to see how it plays out for next season at CB in general, and for Skrtel in particular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Bastian-Schweinsteiger-lookalike-Nazi-doll-named-Bastian.jpg

Just because I'm back on the lager after a month on the dry. Woot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Of those players in contract Skrtel should be one of the first out the door. When he can't keep out of bother in a U21s its time to go! I'm not missing his solo dropping deeper tactics at all.

Well, it's fantastic the way we never catch anyone offside when he plays. Said none of us, ever.

garra wrote: »
    We could do worse than offer the arm-band to Philippe in the summer, if he plans on knockin about for a while longer.

I think we totally lose perspective of what the captaincy actually entails.

On field performance matters a lot less for a captain than what they do off the field. The leaders on the field - Sakho, Can, Coutinho, Lucas, Henderson - will play exactly the same and inspire the same whether they wear the armband or not.

It's all the other stuff that's important for a captain to be able to do. All the press stuff, organizing anything between the club and players (ticket's, personal requests, training suggestions, equipment requests etc), welcoming new players and getting them comfortable, being an outlet for players to talk to, acting as a go-between for the manager/directors/owners, making the youth players feel welcome etc.

Personality is much more important for a captain than playing style. As such, I have no problem with Henderson fulfilling the role. Lucas would be my second choice, with Sakho a good next option. Everyone else is better off being left to focus just on playing I think. Last thing we want to do is throw this sort of responsibility on Coutinho imo.

Torres talked about how bad a captain he realized he had been at Atleti when he saw all the extra stuff Gerard offered the squad in the dressing room.

• Advertisement

5starpool wrote: »
    With Lovren and Sakho doing very well lately, and Matip coming in this summer it'll be interesting to see how it plays out for next season at CB in general, and for Skrtel in particular.

I'd still keep him to be honest - Lovren and Sakho have had their injury problems and we don't really want to be in a position where we're completely reliant on a new signing being a success...lot of pressure on Matip. Would like to have Skrtel there, effectively acting as the new Toure.

In theory he'll be guaranteed far fewer games, but in practice between injuries and rotation, could still easily see him playing 30 odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

It was funny how they showed fergies face smiling after the opening goal but never went back to see his face after the equaliser:)

Oh go on then........
    https://twitter.com/MrBoywunder/status/710626068890259456

Watching that goal live last night it actually took a second or two before it clicked that he had scored.

I remember thinking Coutinho's got it in a decent position here he'll probably cut inside for the shot...oh he's beaten the defender...he's got to the byline but nobody is in a decent position for the cut back...the ball is bouncing in the back of the net...Coutinho's running away celebrating...HE'S SCORED...HOW THE F*CK DID HE DO THAT?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

There were quite a few who highlighted his decline back in the summer but as usual where that lot are concerned (see criticism of De Gea, not buying into the Martial hype) it gets shouted down. It's good to see them having no choice but to admit to it now.

I ventured in there when fergie stepped down to point out things may get difficult for them.as all their key players were close to or the wrong side of 30. In otherwords they had all peaked and would go into decline.The likes of vidic rio evra Carrick giggs rvp and rooney to a lesser extent. Laughed out of the thread I was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Watching that goal live last night it actually took a second or two before it clicked that he had scored.

I remember thinking Coutinho's got it in a decent position here he'll probably cut inside for the shot...oh he's beaten the defender...he's got to the byline but nobody is in a decent position for the cut back...the ball is bouncing in the back of the net...Coutinho's running away celebrating...HE'S SCORED...HOW THE F*CK DID HE DO THAT?

I thought he had side-netted it and was running around to fetch the ball before i noticed he had scored. Not just a magician now an illusionist too.

I thought the same but the ball was hitting the net after going wide on the left and bouncing against the back of the net.:)

I loved the way he saunters along the end line, doing nothing but jogging along without a care in the world.

He deserves a lifetime contract for that goal and the pleasure it will keep giving me for years to come:)

• Advertisement

We must be doing well again.

I think I called it earlier on this year?

2 men down from yesterday:(

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭john why

Rob and who else?

john why wrote: »
    Rob and who else?
    Ricero.

One of them was stupid on his behalf, funny to see the drunk excuse being rolled out.

Ricero obviously didn't read the warning of what would happen if we won posted early in the match thread.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement