Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 15/16

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Been sick all morning and now I'm depressed as well...****in Liverpool will be the death of me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭chasm

NukaCola wrote: »
    And yes Skrtel is very poor but I still cant believe people up until a few days ago were saying Benteke is a good option off the bench......awful and horrible to watch him stuttering through games not a notion whats going on around him....

Benteke looked like he was out for a stroll after his sunday dinner :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

What about the first goal. Should he have been beaten from tight of an angle. Top keeper saves that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Mig still getting beaten near post?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

So we've to play Dortmund in couple weeks then...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Fowler87 wrote: »
    So we've to play Dortmund in couple weeks then...

Sktrel won't be anywhere near them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Klopp would have been better taking Lovren off and playing with 10 men, we'd be only 1 man down.

Putting Skrtel on meant we were 2 men down.

Any Italian team looking for Skrtel, I wonder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

niallo27 wrote: »
    What about the first goal. Should he have been beaten from tight of an angle. Top keeper saves that.

It's not the kind of thing a team can afford to expect from any keeper - even top ones.

Those are the kinds of bonus saves that elevate you above the common rabble, but the first order of business is doing all you can to stop the ball getting to that point, and obviously we didn't.

Even take DeGea's 1v1 the other night with Coutinho. Maybe he should've done better, but in a 1v1, or a penalty, or any good shot on target really, the goal has bascally gone in already, and it's down to the keeper to claw it back out again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Klopp would have been better taking Lovren off and playing with 10 men, we'd be only 1 man down.

Putting Skrtel on meant we were 2 men down.

Any Italian team looking for Skrtel, I wonder?

France, Holland or something like that might be more to his tastes.
    Discipline and finesse aren't the kinds of things he could bring to the table in places like Spain or Italy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

No team in the league has dropped more points from winning positions than us this season. Not at all surprising.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JonnyM

Was Lovern replaced as he was on a yellow or was he injured?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

No team in the league has dropped more points from winning positions than us this season. Not at all surprising.

We'd seemed to have got that out of our system... and then he came back into the system and threw everything into the usual chaos.

Can you believe there are posters here who think he's our best defender...

The attempted header for the 3rd goal is actually hilarious when you look at it again.

Didn't get to see Klopps post match interview. Anyone got a link?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

JonnyM wrote: »
    Was Lovern replaced as he was on a yellow or was he injured?

Probably a precaution with the yellow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭radiata

Gbear wrote: »
    France, Holland or something like that might be more to his tastes.
    Discipline and finesse aren't the kinds of things he could bring to the table in places like Spain or Italy.

France or Holland? I'd say more like Mongolia or Bhutan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

J Mysterio wrote: »
    I counted a number of instances where he needed to run to closed down a player/ space or offer an option and he let players around him take it on.

The problem with Can until recently was that he WOULD try to run down every ball and close down every position, and would get played around with ease and be gassed by the 70th min. Now he drops back to press from deeper central positions and his output is vastly imprroved. I think you are blaming the wrong man here, and I was a huge critic of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

Pity the lawns are both mowed.

That'll teach you! Started round midday meself, break for match, finished off there just now. Partial therapy for that bloody 2nd half....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

As bad as we were at the back in the 2nd half, the fact is that we should have been out of sight. Sturridge's decision making is becoming very frustrating - if he squares to Allen, it's 3-0 and game over (assuming Skrtel wouldn't be coming on, that is).
    Benteke's latest in a long catalogue of misses show that he just doesn't possess enough composure - he's more of an instinctive finisher. I'm not as gutted as most seem to be - never saw Top 4 season as possible regardless. That said, 2-0 up, eh.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

If the Manchester derby ends in a draw we might have big regrets this evening. 3 points would have had us right back in it.
    I wouldn't worry about it man, that match has a City win written all over it. Neither Liverpool or us will be anywhere near the CL next season.

Edit: Bear in mind I post this literally as Rashford scored. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Really wow?? Would have been sure that was Everton not us.

darced wrote: »

Get a grip... Mane is going to run past every defender, hes crazy quick. Sakho wasn't at fault for any of the goals. He was great in the first half and then the other idiot comes on and makes everyone elses jobs impossible. As for the second goal it was a great finish and Sakho did about as well as he could.

He's had some bad games this season but this wasn't one of them.

Speak Now wrote: »
    Really wow?? Would have been sure that was Everton not us.

15 points we've lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,488 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Took foot off gas in first half also. We were cruising and did not push hard for 3 and 4.

I actually can't believe how bad Benteke has been for us. One on ones should be bread and butter for a striker, should be scoring them 9 times out of 10 and I'm not sure he's finished a single one for us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

On Flanaghan. He's been out for ages but he doesn't get any slack. Sakho out for a few games and comes back and plays brutal for a few, fitness used as an excuse.
    Flanno is seriously lacking match fitness and probably won't be up to speed until next year. I don't expect him to be our first choice rb but he can more than do a job over the course of a long season.
    He isn't the quickest but he is calm on the ball and rarely misuses it and is good going forward and in link play.
    He has a bit of heart but isn't a headless loon either.
    Unfortunately we won't be seeing him at his best until next year I think.

darced wrote: »

If you look at his starting position for the first the whole back 4 bar one is pushed out and holding a great high line. He looks back, sees the one guy who's playing everyone offside, has to take a step back and while doing that Flanno loses the ball and MAne is off. Tbh i'm shocked he kept as close to him as possible.

The second one he maybe could have got a little closer but it was a superb finish tbh. That one he could have done better tho.

The 3rd i'm not sure what he could have done. It was a great finish and again Mane just beat him with speed. He won more than his fair share of challenges and blocks in the first half when he could more or less trust his partner.

He wasn't perfect but I honestly think proportioning any of the blame to him is misplacing it. It should all be laid predominantly on two peoples feet. Skrtel and Klopp. But i'll forgive Klopp. Not the other tho.

Hopefully the calls for Flanno to start can be put to rest too. He's a decent option from the bench when we're in a blood and thunder game but he's far too limited to be a starter.

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    On Flanaghan. He's been out for ages but he doesn't get any slack. Sakho out for a few games and comes back and plays brutal for a few, fitness used as an excuse.
    Flanno is seriously lacking match fitness and probably won't be up to speed until next year. I don't expect him to be our first choice rb but he can more than do a job over the course of a long season.
    He isn't the quickest but he is calm on the ball and rarely misuses it and is good going forward and in link play.
    He has a bit of heart but isn't a headless loon either.
    Unfortunately we won't be seeing him at his best until next year I think.

The problem with Flanno is he's not a good enough athlete to get himself out of trouble. That limits him so massively. Every single mistake he makes is more likely to be punished.

We weren't getting top 4 anyway so the result today doesn't really bother me, but the performance is frustrating. First half was very good, probably should have killed the game off but you can't score every chance. Second half was a shambles but it's no secret why. Hopefully one game is all it takes for Klopp to realise that Skrtel should be kept out of the team by any means necessary. We're going into the international break with yet another disappointing result this season, hopefully everyone comes back fit and the players get their heads together for Dortmund. Our season rests on the Europa League, players should do all they can to win it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    The problem with Flanno is he's not a good enough athlete to get himself out of trouble. That limits him so massively. Every single mistake he makes is more likely to be punished.

What do you mean he's not a good enough athlete? As in he can't run?

Don't understand your post at all.

Don't think he deserves that much criticism. He's normally solid.

Skrtel was the biggest culprit. He's a disaster.

Defence looked solid the last few games with him and 45 minutes of Skrtel back and it all goes wrong.

Klopp got that substitute decision totally wrong.

• Advertisement

murpho999 wrote: »
    What do you mean he's not a good enough athlete? As in he can't run?

Don't understand your post at all.

Don't think he deserves that much criticism. He's normally solid.

Skrtel was the biggest culprit. He's a disaster.

Defence looked solid the last few games with him and 45 minutes of Skrtel back and it all goes wrong.

Klopp got that substitute decision totally wrong.

I mean he's not particularly fast or particularly strong. If he makes a mistake the winger will likely be gone. He hasn't got any real recovery speed. He also requires a lot of cover when he goes forward as unlike Clyne he won't be able to get back to stop a counter attack.

If you're as positionally sound as Neville was and could whip in a ball like he can then you can get away with it but when you're just average at everything bar commitment imo thats just not good enough. I'm fine with him in the squad but calls for him to start are misplaced imo. He can tackle and not much else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

We can still get 4th guys.

Lolooololol

Watching Dortmund at the moment, 1-0 down to Augsburg. The thought of Skrtel being anywhere near the squad against them......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

I mean he's not particularly fast or particularly strong. If he makes a mistake the winger will likely be gone. He hasn't got any real recovery speed. He also requires a lot of cover when he goes forward as unlike Clyne he won't be able to get back to stop a counter attack.

If you're as positionally sound as Neville was and could whip in a ball like he can then you can get away with it but when you're just average at everything bar commitment imo thats just not good enough. I'm fine with him in the squad but calls for him to start are misplaced imo. He can tackle and not much else.

How dare you? He links the play very well and is always aware of what's around him. He's just back from injury, his full throttle game is not there yet

garra wrote: »
    How dare you? He links the play very well and is always aware of what's around him. He's just back from injury, his full throttle game is not there yet

I never really rated him highly before his injury. He can't really cross a ball and he pops slow offloads to runners and the cms. I don't think he brings anything to our attacks in general and his positioning is often suspect. You'll find thats often the case with players who are forced to make those big impressive lunging bocks and tackles (ala Moreno, Skrtel etc).

His importance to the squad is basically determined by how much value you place in having local lads in the team. I think right now it holds little value as I don't think there's a "liverpool" way of playing anymore. For me it only matters when there is a a style being bred into players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Haven't seen any of the game, and while I'd be disappointed with the result, 4th place was always a longshot. From following the 2nd half based on online commentaries, defensive dodginess coincides with Skertl returning. If it shows to Klopp that he is a liability, then it's 3 points well spent imo. Same crap went on before he was injured, he's ****e and is only going to get worse because there is nothing between the ears from what I can see

Haven't seen any of the game, and while I'd be disappointed with the result, 4th place was always a longshot. From following the 2nd half based on online commentaries, defensive dodginess coincides with Skertl returning. If it shows to Klopp that he is a liability, then it's 3 points well spent imo. Same crap went on before he was injured, he's ****e and is only going to get worse because there is nothing between the ears from what I can see

Skrtel plays with the constant bewilderment of a man trying to figure out why his surname has so few vowels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Flanagan is a squad player nothing more.

He is a good one to have as he can cover both full back positions but that's it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

mosstin wrote: »
    Watching Dortmund at the moment, 1-0 down to Augsburg. The thought of Skrtel being anywhere near the squad against them......

That first sentence kind of negates any dramatic effect you were going for with the second. :pac:

I never really rated him highly before his injury. He can't really cross a ball and he pops slow offloads to runners and the cms. I don't think he brings anything to our attacks in general and his positioning is often suspect. You'll find thats often the case with players who are forced to make those big impressive lunging bocks and tackles (ala Moreno, Skrtel etc).

His importance to the squad is basically determined by how much value you place in having local lads in the team. I think right now it holds little value as I don't think there's a "liverpool" way of playing anymore. For me it only matters when there is a a style being bred into players.

I don't know how you can judge him so much based on brief scenes from TV or dodgy internet streams like today.

Also find it hard to take your opinion seriously when I see you rate Moreno so highly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

The dogs on the street could see that happening in the second half, we played that way against utd in the first half on thurs night and got away with it but the difference was Southampton finished their chances very well, they deserved it no argument from me.
    It has to be said i thought we looked tired out there, no lively closing down, everyone trundling along in 2nd gear, looking forward to the summer clearout.

Skittles and Flanno both had terrible games, everyone else was very meh.
    So that's top 4 gone for sure (for the 5th time this season!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

mosstin wrote: »
    Skrtel plays with the constant bewilderment of a man trying to figure out why his surname has so few vowels.

Wait a minute, his surname has as many vowels as mine. Damn you parents!

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

What a horrible weekend of results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Knex. wrote: »

The only other instance I can think of was the 4-2 against Chelsea in '97, FA Cup 4th round. Same kick-in-the-balls sensation.

5starpool wrote: »
    What a horrible weekend of results.

All our own fault, 4th has been there for us all season but we''ve not been good enough.
    I hope West Ham get 4th.

I just want us to get to the summer and let Klopp build his own team. Europa League could be a bonus but don't think we're good enough to win it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

I feel like we've had an awful result before each of the international breaks this season.

Watched the City game after ours and they look absolutely terrible. The 4th spot is so open right now, the loss today is a huge blow since our games in hand are Chelsea and Everton.
    cRfxntr.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

That first sentence kind of negates any dramatic effect you were going for with the second. :pac:

They ended up winning 3-1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

on the plus side it is clear as day now that skrtel is and always was the problem and needs to **** right off in the summer.

We already have uefa football next season so I think the youngsters should be getting a run out in the remain league games.

Best team out from the uefa cup...if we sneak past dortmund it is ours to lose in my opinion

Enrique (free), toure(free), moreno(12), skrtel(5), wisdom(2), Benteke(25), ballotelli(8), Allen(6), need to be gone on the door in the summer.
    That is a lot of wages and some decent transfer funds -
    Lallanna gets one more season as does lucas until his replacement is
    Markovic,Gomez will be returning Matip, Grujic are probably going straight in to the team

Goal Keeper, left back , Centre Midfielder and a superstar striker and we should be looking good for next year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Bowlardo wrote: »
    on the plus side it is clear as day now that skrtel is and always was the problem and needs to **** right off in the summer.

We already have uefa football next season so I think the youngsters should be getting a run out in the remain league games.

Best team out from the uefa cup...if we sneak past dortmund it is ours to lose in my opinion

Enrique (free), toure(free), moreno(12), skrtel(5), wisdom(2), Benteke(25), ballotelli(8), Allen(6), need to be gone on the door in the summer.
    That is a lot of wages and some decent transfer funds -
    Lallanna gets one more season as does lucas until his replacement is
    Markovic,Gomez will be returning Matip, Grujic are probably going straight in to the team

Goal Keeper, left back , Centre Midfielder and a superstar striker and we should be looking good for next year

We don't have any European football yet for next season

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement