Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 15/16

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I think considering how flat we were for the last 15 mins of the first, bringing Skrtel on was a poor decision. No hindsight about it either.

Bringing Benteke on when we were losing the midfield battle was also a head scratcher.

Genuinely, when I saw the half time subs for both teams, I was worried. Wanyama always bosses our lads, and we had no Lucas to offer a similar physical presence against him. They needed protection, and Klopp never gave them it.

Sturridge at least spreads the game and provides a decent roaming option. Benteke doesn't quite do that.

Players and manager alike, they got comfortable and paid the price. We were largely crap for 60 mins yesterday, after a comfortable opening 30.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Knex. wrote: »
    I think considering how flat we were for the last 15 mins of the first, bringing Skrtel on was a poor decision. No hindsight about it either.

Bringing Benteke on when we were losing the midfield battle was also a head scratcher.

Genuinely, when I saw the half time subs for both teams, I was worried. Wanyama always bosses our lads, and we had no Lucas to offer a similar physical presence against him. They needed protection, and Klopp never gave them it.

Sturridge at least spreads the game and provides a decent roaming option. Benteke doesn't quite do that.

Players and manager alike, they got comfortable and paid the price. We were largely crap for 60 mins yesterday, after a comfortable opening 30.

The inclusion of Mane for the second half should have sent massive alarm bells off in Klopp's head, he's far too quick and needed a good solid communicating defensive backline, yet Skrtel was brought on, a man who was sent off in the Under 21's match and has been consistently our worse player all season.

I guess no-one is perfect, but Klopp must have seen the scoreline at half time and thought "Be grand, send in the gimp"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Turtyturd wrote: »
    United losing to City should do it. Although I'm going the cinema so won't see it.

Worse than losing that game was the fact that posters who I thought had disappeared after Thursday are still around.

What ya see?
    M!Ck^ wrote: »
    All I want to know is what 5starpool thinks of all this craic today

And maybe OwayneOtt, he's starting to grow on me

Not whatawater, he's ruthless

Spell my name right, that's what I think. And I didn't see the match, if it's not on sky sports, it didn't happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

Borussia Dortmund in 2016: WWDWWWWWWWDWWWW

They're due a loss... right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Umaro wrote: »

I'd say they're due 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

We don't even have to beat them. 1-1 at theirs and 0-0 at home will do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Lovren was the worst defender at the club a few weeks back. Sakho before that. It's skrtels turn this week.
    Agree with that. The defenders just seem to constantly rotate bad performances amongst themselves. Given Skrtel is only just back from injury, it's a little harsh to blame him (I don't think he should have been brought on). It's a moot point anyway, because the performance was just so awful. I reckon if Klopp had any doubts, they're away now. Skrtel will be gone this Summer, hot on the heels of Benteke.

The real question for me though is the midfield. After we took the 2-0 lead, we sat back and just invited pressure. No one in midfield look to put their foot on the ball to control things or to shield the defence. As it stands, there's just too much mediocrity there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Looking at the goals in isolation...

Can gives flanagan a ball where he's on a hiding to nothing for the first goal, which he promptly loses. Sakho doesnt react quick enough to mane and fails to close him down - yet Skrtel is to blame.

Skrtel challenges with Pelle for a header, it breaks to the opposition. Sakho fails to close down Pelle fast enough when he receives the ball - yet Skrtel is to blame.

Mignolet with a p*ss poor clearence that Skrtel misses the headear on. Allen and Skrtel then fail to win the second ball. Mane is off again and Sakho cannot catch him. - yet Skrtel is to blame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Sahko was left on his arse by the pace of Mane. Can't blame Skrtel for them all.

Totally. He had a part in another of the goals too where he should have been sharper, as did flanagan. It wasn't just Skrtel from what I saw in the highlights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Grayditch wrote: »
    We don't even have to beat them. 1-1 at theirs and 0-0 at home will do.

Yeah simple!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I'll optimistically go with "fuck all chance" of us keeping Dortmund to only one goal over the two legs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

The idea that "sure all our defenders are equally ****e" is totally laughable. Just because Skrtel is horrendous in a way that doesn't stick out as much. When Sakho or Nervol or Toure mess up it's so obvious. Skrtel is an absolute master of taking up cowardly positions where he doesn't get exposed for the fraud he is. As I've said before many times he has been the lynchpin, the common denominator of the worst defensive era in Liverpool's recent history. It's just a pity he can't defend half as well as the people trying to defend him!

Wow, so Skrtel's a coward and a fraud now. Nice.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Skrtel, the same lad that was solid as a rock when we nearly won the title and everyone raving about how much city would give to us at the time for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭PaddyWilliams

I don't recall Skrtel ever being rock solid. He scored a lot of goals for a CB, at both ends!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I don't recall Skrtel ever being rock solid. He scored a lot of goals for a CB, at both ends!

In fairness he was quiet solid that year, the year previous didnt he get player of the season for us too??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

LOAN WATCH

Lloyd Jones (Blackpool) finally fit, played one game this week 0-1 defeat.
    Vigouroux, Williams, (Swindon Town) Vig out with a knock
    Wisdom (Norwich) not in match squad
    Markovic (Fenerbache) injured
    Samed Yesil (Lucerne) unused sub
    Taiwo (FSV Frankfurt) Scored his first goal for FSV in the league, 2-2 draw
    Sergi Canos (Brentford) came on at 67 mins in 0-1 10 men defeat (Brentford are on an appalling run marked by ill-discipline)
    Balotelli (Milan) sub appearance on 74 mins
    Alberto (Deportivo) another goal to add to his tally in 2-1 win
    Guijic ( Red Star Belgrade) not in match squad for latest easy win.
    Fulton (Portsmouth) full game between the sticks in 1-1 draw
    Allan (Sint-Truidense) not in match squad - on Reddit a Belgian chap reckons the loan is until end 2016/17 season.

Guijic has been called up to the senior Serbia side for this weeks game/s
    Allan called up to the Brazil U20 squad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Sad to see Wisdom cant even get in the squad for Norwich, guess he's destined to be a championship or League 1 player.

Equally, Yesil can't get a game for Lucerne?! He will not make it at Liverpool, thats for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

jonny24ie wrote: »
    In fairness he was quiet solid that year, the year previous didnt he get player of the season for us too??

Didn't we concede like a bazillion goals that year?

Did he? I honestly didn't know that. I know in 13/14 we conceded something along the lines of 50 goals. We scored over 100, but the concessions cost us ultimately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭LFC CONNAUGHTON

phMYxbJ.jpg

So this is what Joe gets up to in his spare time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Flanagan's contribution to their first goal seems to be getting completely overlooked.

As is Can's hospital pass to put Flanagan under pressure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

phMYxbJ.jpg

Most players dig chicks...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

phMYxbJ.jpg

Can someone Photoshop Joe's head on the chicken chasing scene from Rocky :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Milkers wrote: »
    The idea that "sure all our defenders are equally ****e" is totally laughable. Just because Skrtel is horrendous in a way that doesn't stick out as much. When Sakho or Nervol or Toure mess up it's so obvious. Skrtel is an absolute master of taking up cowardly positions where he doesn't get exposed for the fraud he is. As I've said before many times he has been the lynchpin, the common denominator of the worst defensive era in Liverpool's recent history. It's just a pity he can't defend half as well as the people trying to defend him!

It's really not, however, it doesn't suit the hard on for Sakho. The only CB that hasn't let us down in recent times is Toure.

The rest have all been dodgy at times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

phMYxbJ.jpg

I like videogames in my spare time...

Joe likes ....

...err Chickens and hens....

Rock on you mental Welsh Pirlo Jesus!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

T-K-O wrote: »
    It's really not, however, it doesn't suit the hard on for Sakho. The only CB that hasn't let us down in recent times is Toure.

The rest have all been dodgy at times

Yeah, Sakho does have a a fair few people who want him to be better than he's been in recent times. I like Sakho, I want him to be as good as others think he is but he probably isn't the rock you'd build your defence on. Skrtel's performance yesterday was as bad as it's been reported but on a couple of the goals I defintely think Sakho should have been getting a toe/foot in.
    Mane's fleet-footed but Sakho just didn't do enough to prevent him getting shots off. He wasn't responsible for the carnage that went on before the goals but on at least one of them he should be getting between ball and goal.

The common factor for all three goals and the peno incident was one player and only one player. The stats in this case do not lie - 795 minutes played without him - 3 goals conceded, 45 minutes with him on pitch 3 goal conceded and a peno saved.

Players just don't know quite where he'll be in relation to the play or what he might try next so what should be a fairly calm defensive move becomes chaotic. I'd forgotten what shirt-tugging looked like until he got on yesterday and was at it immediately.

Kolo Toure, Lucas and Can could all deputise if needed for the rest for this season and next season Matip and Gomez will be available.

He was solid the year we needed to score for fun to get anything from a match because of the goals conceded and the previous year he had Carra to hold his hand and remind him of his job.

Skrtel is a grand player in a bog standard 4-4-2 where the first option is hoofing the ball away and he stands out from those years because he had nothing else to do.

If you want to build play from the back or require the CB to have the ability to actually pass the ball, on the ground, to a member of his own team then you have a huge problem because Skrtel simply doesn't have that ability.

At all.

At all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Fieldog wrote: »
    I like videogames in my spare time...

Joe likes ....

...err Chickens and hens....

Rock on you mental Welsh Pirlo Jesus!

He has 6 goals for us from midfield - I'm sure we can all agree that's a poultry scoring rate.

• Advertisement

Did he? I honestly didn't know that. I know in 13/14 we conceded something along the lines of 50 goals. We scored over 100, but the concessions cost us ultimately.

Sorry just had a look and he got that in 2011/2012.

Joe Pirlo's beard brings ALL the chicks to the yard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Unlike his hobby,joe is no good in the box,

Still sickens me the chances we failed to score from on sunday,sublime build up play,awful finishing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Looking at the 3rd goal again last night and Mignolet deserves criticism for a pathetic attempt of a kick out that put defence under pressure.

How a footballer (even if he is a goalie) cannot simply kick a ball is beyond me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,038 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

murpho999 wrote: »
    Looking at the 3rd goal again last night and Mignolet deserves criticism for a pathetic attempt of a kick out that put defence under pressure.

How a footballer (even if he is a goalie) cannot simply kick a ball is beyond me.

It was just a complete calamity, from him hoofing it straight up into the air, to Skrtel without any pressure on him, completely misjudging it and letting it drop behind him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

How long is Firmino out for? When is he expected back?

I mentioned it before but Klopp again seems reluctant to change/bring on subs when the game is going against us. He did it again yesterday. We could see we were being over-run and the game was swinging in their favour ....straight from the second half kick off (klopp even said this himself!!) yet he chose not to do anything till the 70th minute. Thought we badly need more bodies in midfield and changes could have been made well before they scored the first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,659 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I mentioned it before but Klopp again seems reluctant to change/bring on subs when the game is going against us. He did it again yesterday. We could see we were being over-run and the game was swinging in their favour ....straight from the second half kick off (klopp even said this himself!!) yet he chose not to do anything till the 70th minute. Thought we badly need more bodies in midfield and changes could have been made well before they scored the first.

Is that a normal thing for him , or is he assessing the squad.?
    All commentaters say it was obvious in the 2nd half that the game had turned so i am hoping in a dead rubber game ( not getting 4th nor relegated) he just let it run its course to see who the players to rely on are and who to boot out.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

cjmc wrote: »
    All commentaters say it was obvious in the 2nd half that the game had turned so i am hoping in a dead rubber game ( not getting 4th nor relegated) he just let it run its course to see who the players to rely on are and who to boot out.?

The thing is though, give the way the Manchester derby went, that wasn't a dead rubber of a match. If we'd have won that, we'd have been 4 points off 4th with a game in hand. That was a must win game IMO, and we didn't win it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

cjmc wrote: »

"Dead rubber"? A win would have put us 4 points off City today, with a game in hand.

More rumour mongering - Xhaka from Jonathan Northcroft in the Sunday Times and Bild going with Niklas Sule (he was mentioned a day or two ago wasn't he?).

2 goals up, away from home against a team that's more or less equal to us according to their points haul in the PL, international break looming, Sturridge off and Henderson on.

In hindsight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,659 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

corwill wrote: »
    "Dead rubber"? A win would have put us 4 points off City today, with a game in hand.

Hadnt realised that till now.
    I kinda dismissed fop 4 to save on heart break later on.
    Crazy , crazy season that it is im sure there is another twist to come :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Augeo wrote: »
    2 goals up, away from home against a team that's more or less equal to us according to their points haul in the PL, international break looming, Sturridge off and Henderson on.

In hindsight.

I'd be more critical to be honest, and argue hindsight wasn't needed. Wanyama/Mane came on at HT. Obviously pace had effected us when Long was running at Lovren/Sakho so adding another pacy attacker would cause problems, and their midfield was being walked around on the counter so needed a more dynamic strong midfielder to break up play and get amongst our CM's. Koeman made the right changes and instantly had us on the back foot.

It took them around 20 minutes to score but the threat was almost constant, we lost control almost instantly. How Klopp did not react to Koemans HT changes at all is amazing especially given how perfect he got his tactics in the first half. I am genuinely puzzled and would expect much more from a manager of his talent.

We didn't deserve to lose, a draw was a fair result IMO and I wouldn't say Klopp lost us the game but Koeman out performed him with his tactics second half and they destroyed a dodgy defence that was over run and a Can/Allen CM pairing that was totally dominated second half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

The puns will write themselves if we start next season with a Xhaka Can midfield partnership.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,488 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Yesterday was a stark reminder that Klopp has only been our manager for literally months. We all thought we had turned some corner, maybe we did, but the trouble is we turned two more corners, both lefts and yesterday we ended back where we started.
    We need a center back, Lovern has done great but we still need a center back. Skrtel was player of the season not so long ago, he should be more experienced now but he some how is not. Its no surprise he gave away a penalty, he is always pulling people off balance in the box, was always going to catch him out one day.
    Coutinho Orgi and Sturridge must feel so let down by what unfolded in that second half.
    Benteke is not to blame, that's for sure. Allen's miss was far worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Yesterday was a stark reminder that Trump has only been our manager for literally months

3kGP2Ln.gif

GiftofGab wrote: »
    How long is Firmino out for? When is he expected back?
    I heard back at the end of the international break.
    Yesterday was a stark reminder that Trump has only been our manager for literally months. We all thought we had turned some corner, maybe we did, but the trouble is we turned two more corners, both lefts and yesterday we ended back where we started.
    We need a center back, Lovern has done great but we still need a center back. Skrtel was player of the season not so long ago, he should be more experienced now but he some how is not. Its no surprise he gave away a penalty, he is always pulling people off balance in the box, was always going to catch him out one day.
    Coutinho Orgi and Sturridge must feel so let down by what unfolded in that second half.
    Benteke is not to blame, that's for sure. Allen's miss was far worse.
    :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

We need to dispell with the fiction that Donald Trump is our manager.

We need to dispell with the fiction that Donald Trump is our manager.
    We'd have loads of clean sheets against Mexican teams anyway with the amount of walls he's planning to build.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement