Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 15/16

Comments

Haha, Geezer looked like something out of an advert for Maxi Pads.

Good night and god bless.

Maxi Padregez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Is there many players we let go early on who went on to have decent careers? Insua, Barragan and Mikel San Jose have all gone on to play at a top level. Insua obviously played a fair few games for us and showed potential but the other 2 barely played any games.

Any other players we let go too early?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

hefferboi wrote: »
    Is there many players we let go early on who went on to have decent careers? Insua, Barragan and Mikel San Jose have all gone on to play at a top level. Insua obviously played a fair few games for us and showed potential but the other 2 barely played any games.

Jonjo Shelvey.

Never should 'ave sold 'im amirite?

Struggling to think of any others we would have been better off keeping. Sinana-Pongolle was okish. GKs, Mihaylov and Hansen had their moments.

Vaguely remember some striker doing well in Greece but it's probably Djibril Cissè I'm thinking of.

Suarez has done ok I guess!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

hefferboi wrote: »

Given he went on to get capped for Italy, someone could make an argument in favour of Gabriel Paletta.

Not me, though, I thought he was terrible. Turning circle of the USS Nimitz. Saw him play twice for Boca while I was traveling, he looked no quicker playing for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Apparently Rodgers has agreed a deal to return to Swansea for next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

A good fit and the very best of luck to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Jonjo Shelvey.

Never should 'ave sold 'im amirite?

Struggling to think of any others we would have been better off keeping. Sinana-Pongolle was okish. GKs, Mihaylov and Hansen had their moments.

Vaguely remember some striker doing well in Greece but it's probably Djibril Cissè I'm thinking of.

Leto might be the Greek striker you were thinking of. Had issues with agreeing work permit in UK if I remember right

Good for both parties.

He'll certainly be in touch for some of his ex players. Joe Allen must be ****ting it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Rumours of Gotze on the way.

That would be nice, but I wouldn't believe it'll ever happen until he's leaning against something at Melwood.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Half the Bundesliga is on the way!

Sule, Gotze, Volland, Kostic, Horn, Kolašinac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Half the Bundesliga is on the way!

Sule, Gotze, Volland, Kostic, Horn, Kolašinac
    You forgot Hummels, Harry:)

https://twitter.com/Liddellpool/status/714042482816917504?s=09

Colin Mafham is a journalist with the Express

We're going to be so disappointed come next Sept 1st.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

We're going to be so disappointed come next Sept 1st.

Sell Sturridge for £50m, buy Carlton Cole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Is that your actual house phone? :)

Don't be silly, he needs the type you can plug into a modem

A Squaka article on the hottest German underage players with Can mentioned and also a few players we are linked with.

http://www.squawka.com/news/from-neuer-to-can-a-history-of-notable-fritz-walter-medal-award-winners-from-2005-2015/629396

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭MentalMario

Gabriel Paletta has done pretty OK for himself. In Italy at the moment. Think Milan gave big money for him.

Alou Diarra has been capped with France and has played at a pretty decent level for most of his career.

Torres went on to win the Europa League & the Champions League after he left Liverpool. Does he count? ;)

Liverpool might actually get something close to his transfer - 3.5 million! :pac: Actually he's doing well enough to be worth a decent profit. I'm sure a few mid ranking La Liga and larger Portuguese sides will have noticed him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Interesting the wages...skrtel has to go. beneteke on 140,000 is mental. he is gone anyway. matip and goetze should replace them. I think a new left back is essential but is hard to argue with moreno as he is on quite low wages in the great scheme of things. I would keep milner as he is solid and versatile. new quality keeper obviously. I wouldn't mind ward getting some game time in the league for the last few games. I think we will have plenty of money to spend and we need 6 quality players as far as I can see.
    I'm on the fence about henderson...100,000 a week yet score no goals....always ****s up with finishing. I'd keep him for the moment.

PLAYER AGE WEEKLY WAGE CONTRACT LEFT
    Simon Mignolet 27 £60,000 5 Years (2021)
    Ádám Bogdán 27 £15,000 2 Years (2017)
    Danny Ward 22 £5,000 4 Years (2020)
    Mamadou Sakho 25 £75,000 4 Years (2020)
    Steven Caulker 24 £30,000 6 month loan deal
    Dejan Lovren 26 £65,000 3 Years (2019)
    Martin Skrtel 31 £75,000 3 Years (2018)
    Tiago Ilori 22 £20,000 3 Years (2018)
    Joe Gomez 18 £10,000 4 Years (2020)
    Kolo Touré 34 £65,000 Last Year (2016)
    Alberto Moreno 23 £40,000 3 Years (2019)
    José Enrique 30 £75,000 2016)
    Nathaniel Clyne 24 £70,000 4 Years (2020)
    Jon Flanagan 23 £25,000 Last Year (2016)
    Emre Can 22 £55,000 2 Years (2018)
    J Henderson 25 £100,000 4 Years (2020)
    Lucas Laiva 29 £80,000 2 Years (2017)
    Joe Allen 25 £45,000 2 Years (2017)

James Milner 30 £120,000 2 Years (2018)
    Roberto Firmino 24 £100,000 4 Years (2020)
    Coutinho 23 £75,000 4 Years (2020)
    Adam Lallana 27 £65,000 3 Years (2019)

Jordan Ibe 20 £10,000 4 Years (2020)
    João Teixeira 23 £5,000 (2016)
    Lazar Markovic 21 £60,000 3 Years (2019)
    Daniel Sturridge 26 £120,000 4 Years (2019)

Christian Benteke 24 £140,000 4 Years (2020)
    Divock Origi 20 £15,000 3 Years (2019)
    Danny Ings 23 £60,000 4 Years (2020)

Bowlardo wrote: »

Divock Origi 20 £15,000 3 Years (2019)
    Danny Ings 23 £60,000 4 Years (2020)

Boy if I were Derek, I'd be putting in for a rise!

Where did these numbers come from?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Bowlardo wrote: »
    José Enrique 30 £75,000 2016)

giphy.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Whoever gave the ok to Benteke' s 140,000 a week needs to be thrown in the Mersey.

140k per week for 5 years = £36,400,000
    + £32m fee = £68,400,000.

Suffering ****.

Whoever gave the ok to Benteke' s 140,000 a week needs to be thrown in the Mersey.

Suffering ****.

get_me_Ian_Ayre.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Boy if I were Derek, I'd be putting in for a rise!

Where did these numbers come from?

http://www.totalsportek.com/money/liverpool-player-salaries/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Suffering ****.

Second half of that post needs a spoiler thingy over it, my eyes are watering now.

Second half of that post needs a spoiler thingy over it, my eyes are watering now.

I wish I hadn't worked it out now tbh...It's annoying me a lot.

If those figures are indeed true, each goal he's scored for us to date has cost us £8.5 million.
    Or, to put it another way, for every goal he's scored for us, we could have bought another Philipe Coutinho.

mosstin wrote: »
    If those figures are indeed true, each goal he's scored for us to date has cost us £8.5 million.
    Or, to put it another way, for every goal he's scored for us, we could have bought another Philipe Coutinho.

Stop it...

It's only ~13m a year.
    There all better.:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

I don't think anyone would honestly have expected Benteke not to get that kind of money when he moved... his record before coming here (and actually including here if you look at just goals and not how he's been overall) was/is superb. Its not worked out but he's not a bad player. The pressure on him here was immense. It might have been a year late but he was still expected to replace Luis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Why are people shocked at the club's second most ever expensive signing being on big money?

Also, Coutinho looks to be on the cheap so it all balances out.

Those figures look like something some tabloid lad came up with down the pub or else swiped off Football Manager 2016.

I, for one, won't be gettin' no knickers in a twist over 'em.

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    I don't think anyone would honestly have expected Benteke not to get that kind of money when he moved... his record before coming here (and actually including here if you look at just goals and not how he's been overall) was/is superb. Its not worked out but he's not a bad player. The pressure on him here was immense. It might have been a year late but he was still expected to replace Luis.

Although his goals /games record overall is good, he does tend to get his goals in bursts with long periods of drought inbetween, his last season at villa did'nt he go something like 3 months without a goal?

We'll take a big loss on him, would'nt expect him to make much more than 20 odd with us paying some of his wage for a couple of years, everyone knows we want to get rid so anyone interested will will be looking to get him on the cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Although his goals /games record overall is good, he does tend to get his goals in bursts with long periods of drought inbetween, his last season at villa did'nt he go something like 3 months without a goal?

We'll take a big loss on him, would'nt expect him to make much more than 20 odd with us paying some of his wage for a couple of years, everyone knows we want to get rid so anyone interested will will be looking to get him on the cheap.

The loss will depend on the interest in him. I could see a host of clubs wanting to bring him in. He's a proven goal scorer and a good player if just not right for us.

I think we get 25m and tbh that kind of loss is one the club can easily handle right now.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Why are people shocked at the club's second most ever expensive signing being on big money?

Also, Coutinho looks to be on the cheap so it all balances out.

I'm not shocked by it,I'm annoyed about it. Most of us on this forum knew it wouldn't work out and we're just some flutes on a message board. Also,he hasn't been the same player since rupturing his Achilles,he used to be explosive at times and that's gone. Can't blame him for that,of course but it was stupid spending so much money on a player that hasn't fully recovered and unfortunately looks like never will. So much wrong with that signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

I might be misremembering this but the Benteke we signed was a guy who had a decent turn of pace, could take people on, was strong and powerful and would absolutely destroy CB's in the air and had a good finish, certainly had enough about him to adapt his style I would have thought.........

I know I slated him and personally would not have him starting over Sturridge/Firmino/Origi but have we really seen enough of him to sell at a loss? I would think that the Benteke we have now is pretty low on confidence at a club who has changed manager and might be having a hard time adjusting, not everyone is going to settle in to a new club with ease..........That being said I'm not sure Klopp can use him and I dont think he's done enough for us either. At a decent price we will probably sell, maybe 20-25m. I honestly expected a lot more and I think he can probably offer a lot more but maybe not here unfortunately.

I'm not shocked by it,I'm annoyed about it. Most of us on this forum knew it wouldn't work out and we're just some flutes on a message board. Also,he hasn't been the same player since rupturing his Achilles,he used to be explosive at times and that's gone. Can't blame him for that,of course but it was stupid spending so much money on a player that hasn't fully recovered and unfortunately looks like never will. So much wrong with that signing.

That's it. It was fairly obvious he wasn't a good fit and that's the way it has worked out

Hopefully he'll be gone in a few months

Also...there's reports this morning that we got 10 million less than originally reported for Suarez. Report's saying we got £64.98m and not £75...someone should swing for that as well. We keep hearing about how we can't compete financially with other clubs...well it's hardly surprising when we seem to just keep throwing money away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭Damien360

Also...there's reports this morning that we got 10 million less than originally reported for Suarez. Report's saying we got £64.98m and not £75...someone should swing for that as well. We keep hearing about how we can't compete financially with other clubs...well it's hardly surprising when we seem to just keep throwing money away.

Could that be Barca paid £75 and of that, Suarez or his agents took £10. I thought that was normal carry on in football.

• Advertisement

Damien360 wrote: »
    Could that be Barca paid £75 and of that, Suarez or his agents took £10. I thought that was normal carry on in football.

Would also give credence to the different fees claimed by each club and the media at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Damien360 wrote: »

Full contract - http://www.balls.ie/football/luis-suarez-leaked-contract/328849

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Would also give credence to the different fees claimed by each club and the media at the time.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/luis-suarez-leaked-contract-shows-barcelona-paid-6498m-for-former-liverpool-striker-a6956056.html

There's a link in that report to a PDF of the transfer agreement between the club's. If it's kosher, then there's not much ambiguity. Did LFC ever actually publicly confirm the transfer fee?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

tekkers might not have far to go,the blue half have cash now,and lukaku is off it seems,could be good for all involved if he replaces him

tekkers might not have far to go,the blue half have cash now,and lukaku is off it seems,could be good for all involved if he replaces him

Lukaku won't have far to go either. Straight swap. Yes please. ;)

Who was in charge of the Suarez transfer from our side? Ayre no doubt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Who was in charge of the Suarez transfer from our side? Ayre no doubt?

It's Ayre's signature on it.

--

The contract states £64,980,000 plus any additional VAT - surely this is what has caused the supposed discrepancy? The contract doesn't list the VAT which would still have been paid by Barca before Liverpool paid it onto the tax service in the UK in their end of year accounts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Does it really matter how much we sold Suarez for? Any extra money would have been spent on dross as per usual.
    Hopefully klopps regime sees a shift in transfer policy and dealings. I meant it's mad to think benteke could be on 140k a week, were we not the only club in for him? And he wanted out of villa? It seems we had a position of power in the negotiations on that one but looks like we still gave him a ridiculous deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Barca always said £64M they bite in the World Cup and banned screwed Liverpool over

• Advertisement

Milner and Sturridge start tomorrow, the former will be captain for the first time

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement