Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 15/16

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Barca always said £64M they bite in the World Cup and banned screwed Liverpool over

I was of the impression there was a gentleman's agreement in place from the summer before that he would go to barca at the end of the following season, that price may well have been agreed 12 months prior to him moving.

Be it 65m or 75m, we sold him cheap enough i thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I was of the impression there was a gentleman's agreement in place from the summer before that he would go to barca at the end of the following season, that price may well have been agreed 12 months prior to him moving.

Be it 65m or 75m, we sold him cheap enough i thought.

As far as I'm concerned, it makes up for the Torres £50m. That went our way and Suarez didn't, balances out.

The Andy Carroll transfer didn't happen.

maxresdefault.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

NukaCola wrote: »
    I might be misremembering this but the Benteke we signed was a guy who had a decent turn of pace, could take people on, was strong and powerful and would absolutely destroy CB's in the air and had a good finish, certainly had enough about him to adapt his style I would have thought.........

I know I slated him and personally would not have him starting over Sturridge/Firmino/Origi but have we really seen enough of him to sell at a loss? I would think that the Benteke we have now is pretty low on confidence at a club who has changed manager and might be having a hard time adjusting, not everyone is going to settle in to a new club with ease..........That being said I'm not sure Klopp can use him and I dont think he's done enough for us either. At a decent price we will probably sell, maybe 20-25m. I honestly expected a lot more and I think he can probably offer a lot more but maybe not here unfortunately.

Agree with alot of that.

Aren't managers supposed to get the best out of players? Are we really saying that Origi is a better player than Benteke? No, just that he is a better "Fit" for our team and the way Klopp plays.

I dunno, i think that Klopp should be doing better by Benteke myself. Frozen out of the team, not given enough chances - we allow Sturridge to play in that role where lets be honest he really doesn't exactly work his ass off does he? (Yes we forgive Sturridge cos he has flashes of brilliance and always looks dangerous - but the work ethic that we supposedly NEED our strikers to have - he doesn't have it).

I am not sure we should be lauding Origi whom i expect would be lucky to score 5 goals a season just because he runs about like a lunatic in our high pressing game. Instead we should be asking maybe why are we allowing a guy that has talent in Benteke - can be a regular wrecking ball and has a proven scoring record is suddenly not "suited" and that we are not able to get the best out of him.

We just seem to be going down this route alot, Mario was "Not Able to do the pressing thing" when BR was manager. Benteke is not "Making the right runs" all of a sudden ... it seems a cop out to me.

Put Benteke up front for West Ham and Billic will get the best out of him. We could be yet again counting a costly mistake.

For strikers the high pressing can be accommodated by closing options for whoever has the ball, I don't really think Klopp expects any striker to try and close down the keeper or defenders over and over again by running at them from positions where it's really unlikely they'll still have the ball when they get there.

I do think Benteke played less than I thought he would but Firmino was playing as a striker than so considering Klopp doesn't seem gone on playing 2 up front it couldn't be helped.

For much of the Klopp managed games the high pressing theme hasn't been overly present from what I saw.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Milner and Sturridge start tomorrow, the former will be captain for the first time

And the latter will be injured for the 25th time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Agree with alot of that.

Aren't managers supposed to get the best out of players? Are we really saying that Origi is a better player than Benteke? No, just that he is a better "Fit" for our team and the way Klopp plays.

I dunno, i think that Klopp should be doing better by Benteke myself. Frozen out of the team, not given enough chances - we allow Sturridge to play in that role where lets be honest he really doesn't exactly work his ass off does he? (Yes we forgive Sturridge cos he has flashes of brilliance and always looks dangerous - but the work ethic that we supposedly NEED our strikers to have - he doesn't have it).

I am not sure we should be lauding Origi whom i expect would be lucky to score 5 goals a season just because he runs about like a lunatic in our high pressing game. Instead we should be asking maybe why are we allowing a guy that has talent in Benteke - can be a regular wrecking ball and has a proven scoring record is suddenly not "suited" and that we are not able to get the best out of him.

We just seem to be going down this route alot, Mario was "Not Able to do the pressing thing" when BR was manager. Benteke is not "Making the right runs" all of a sudden ... it seems a cop out to me.

Put Benteke up front for West Ham and Billic will get the best out of him. We could be yet again counting a costly mistake.

That's ignoring the unfortunate refusal of Benteke to actually run, or even stroll, into the box when the team attacks. Was it against Southampton we saw Can frantically waving at him to just get into the box so that there would be a point to firing a ball in? I don't know about Klopp, but I'm pretty frustrated observing the phenomenon. It's been like that with him for most of the season.

Never mind pressing, playing as though he has teammates would be a great start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

A bit of analysis of the poor defensive mentality by the club for a while now.

http://anfieldindex.com/21942/look-liverpool-defence.html

It doesn't exclusively blame Skrtel but the likelihood of needing to score lots more goals once we begin to concede just to gain a point.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Lots of Gotze talk again tonight. Obviously we won't know until the summer either way, but that would be a hell of a coup. Not by a long way the position we need players in most, but still.

If we start with no new LB, GK or CM next season though we still won't do too well. I reckon we'll sign first team starters in at least 2 of those positions though.

Gotze available for £15-20m and wants to play for Klopp again, please god let this source be reliable!

http://www.thisisanfield.com/2016/03/mario-gotze-ready-join-jurgen-klopp-liverpool-cut-price-deal-works/

Bargain of the century if it comes to fruition.

That'd be class :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

martyos121 wrote: »
    Gotze available for £15-20m and wants to play for Klopp again, please god let this source be reliable!

http://www.thisisanfield.com/2016/03/mario-gotze-ready-join-jurgen-klopp-liverpool-cut-price-deal-works/

Bargain of the century if it comes to fruition.

20m? Has the chap gone blind to be going that cheap?

If he's available for 20m he is a must buy at that price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Goetze would be an incredible signing but perhaps his position isn't the one in need of strengthening. That said, I would happily sell Lallana for 15m or so and let Goetze take his place.

It's still highly unlikely Goetze would even come here though, even with Klopp at the helm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Klopp wouldn't bin Lallana, he likes his industry (imagine saying that a year ago!). He'd be a strong squad option at worst.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

emmetkenny wrote: »

I think he's in the last year of his contract. Wages would be huge,I imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

One year left on his contract and started just 5 times this season due to injury.

Certainly has the potential to be an absolute bargain if he goes for that price, but it's fair to say the last 12 months haven't been great for Gotze, hence the drop in price.

It's not the position we need to focus on the most, but world class (or potentially world class) players don't come available often and can't be passed up if the chance is there.

I think he's in the last year of his contract. Wages would be as big as Benteke's, I imagine.

Gotze, Jonas and Zielinski coming in are doing the rounds on twitter and also Benteke out.

It's going to be a long summer.

Augeo wrote: »
    That'd be class :)

Would indeed but I'm not getting my hopes up too much cos we get let down a fair bit. Still...nice to dream.

Gotten, Jonas and Zielinski coming in are doing the rounds on twitter and also Benteke out.

It's going to be a long summer.

My name is Jonas

/Weezer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I think he's in the last year of his contract. Wages would be huge,I imagine.

I didn't realise that.

Wages would be high alright but a player if his calibre wouldn't come up to often.

Could see himself or Cout playing a little deeper.

I wouldn't use the fact that he hasn't had a lot of starts with Bayern as a guage of the player. Fact is Bayern have so many more quality players than us it's much harder to be a starter there.

• Advertisement

Shirley this team can win the Fourth Place Cup.

ter Stegan
    Clyne--Matip--Sakho--Hector
    Can---New
    Coutinho
    --Sturidge--Gotze--Firmino

corwill wrote: »
    That's ignoring the unfortunate refusal of Benteke to actually run, or even stroll, into the box when the team attacks. Was it against Southampton we saw Can frantically waving at him to just get into the box so that there would be a point to firing a ball in? I don't know about Klopp, but I'm pretty frustrated observing the phenomenon. It's been like that with him for most of the season.

Never mind pressing, playing as though he has teammates would be a great start.

Again ... all things that Benteke seemed to inherit since he came here. So Tim Sherwood was able to get the best from him in 10 games whereas Klopp is not? do they not do scenarios at training where - i dunno - he might be coached correctly as to what runs to make and such?

I'd still take him over Origi. Not that i dislike Origi - just i wouldn't be confident of him scoring enough over a sustained period for us than i would if Benteke was actually given the chance.

He plays Sturridge up top with Firminio ... why not Benteke. Remember, Sturridge is only 1 session away from another injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,670 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Shirley this team can win the Fourth Place Cup.

b09ddc0c2372f9c2143d2a5387831ab1.jpeg

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Panda doing a Klopp hug.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Oh my god!! It's a bear hug!!

Don't show that to Daniel Bryan anyway...

Again ... all things that Benteke seemed to inherit since he came here. So Tim Sherwood was able to get the best from him in 10 games whereas Klopp is not? do they not do scenarios at training where - i dunno - he might be coached correctly as to what runs to make and such?

I'd still take him over Origi. Not that i dislike Origi - just i wouldn't be confident of him scoring enough over a sustained period for us than i would if Benteke was actually given the chance.

He plays Sturridge up top with Firminio ... why not Benteke. Remember, Sturridge is only 1 session away from another injury.

Given Klopp's reaction at the final whistle against Southampton, it seems to me that Klopp is asking Benteke to do something that Benteke is not then doing. I'm actually somewhat agnostic as to where the blame ultimately lies there, but I really don't get how a top flight striker can't get moving towards downtown when a teammate is moving into a wide position beyond the halfway line.

Oirigi has a bit to do on his finishing, his movement alone doesn't make him a long term starter.

When Benteke and Firmino have started together, it's been a mess, with Benteke dropping too deep for an out and out 9, and the two of them getting in each other's way.

The whole thing is puzzling. I, and I think others, would ask Benteke to just get himself on the shoulder of the last defender as soon as he sees one of the others begin a move, and look for the potential opportunity in the penalty box. Maybe Benteke's preference is to get on the ball in deeper positions and then carry the ball forward at speed himself. It's the hallmark of someone who had to make the magic happen all by himself at Villa.

I'd love to see the Tekkers who made absolute ****e of us at Anfield back in December '12 (I think?), it's who I hoped we were signing. Unfortunately, I think things have broken down between him and Klopp, and I think Tekkers has subconsciously thrown in the towel a bit for a while now. It's terribly frustrating, far too many signings "just not working out" the last number of years.

Given Klopp's reaction at the final whistle against Southampton, it seems to me that Klopp is asking Benteke to do something that Benteke is not then doing. I'm actually somewhat agnostic as to where the blame ultimately lies there, but I really don't get how a top flight striker can't get moving towards downtown when a teammate is moving into a wide position beyond the halfway line.

Oirigi has a bit to do on his finishing, his movement alone doesn't make him a long term starter.

When Benteke and Firmino have started together, it's been a mess, with Benteke dropping too deep for an out and out 9, and the two of them getting in each other's way.

The whole thing is puzzling. I, and I think others, would ask Benteke to just get himself on the shoulder of the last defender as soon as he sees one of the others begin a move, and look for the potential opportunity in the penalty box. Maybe Benteke's preference is to get on the ball in deeper positions and then carry the ball forward at speed himself. It's the hallmark of someone who had to make the magic happen all by himself at Villa.

I'd love to see the Tekkers who made absolute ****e of us at Anfield back in December '12 (I think?), it's who I hoped we were signing. Unfortunately, I think things have broken down between him and Klopp, and I think Tekkers has subconsciously thrown in the towel a bit for a while now. It's terribly frustrating, far too many signings "just not working out" the last number of years.

Its such a shame to spend so much on a striker and then decide he is not for us ... again i think everyone wants him to succeed - but at this stage we all know he is out the door in the Summer.

Klopp though i think made up his mind early enough about him that he wasn't for his style - long before this whole "He is not moving in the rights lines - punditry lark" ... but still.

It's a shame we cannot get the best out of him. We will surely lose big money on him - which we as a club need to stop doing.

Its such a shame to spend so much on a striker and then decide he is not for us ... again i think everyone wants him to succeed - but at this stage we all know he is out the door in the Summer.

Klopp though i think made up his mind early enough about him that he wasn't for his style - long before this whole "He is not moving in the rights lines - punditry lark" ... but still.

It's a shame we cannot get the best out of him. We will surely lose big money on him - which we as a club need to stop doing.

It's not just "punditry lark", though, he just doesn't put himself where a striker normally would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Yep definitely not just punditry talk. Don't know how anyone can have watched him at times this season and not been frustrated that he can't seem to make runs under 10's would know to make.

• Advertisement

Wages would be high alright but a player if his calibre wouldn't come up to often. .............

I'd lie to think that at a transfer fee of €20m or so the folks in charge of the purse strings would consider high wages justified given that you'd expect the player to be worth an extension or else to command a decent transfer fee in a few years time.

Milner for example wouldn't be commanding much of a transfer fee in a year or two and probably won't be offered much of an extension and his wages were justified :) (without much complaints from supporters either)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Knex. wrote: »

But imagine, IMAGINE!

Would be an absolutely fantastic signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Meh, he's no Juan Mata.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,100 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Just here trying to work out the trip to Liverpool for the Dortmund game. Had hopes to go over for a few days, but now I have gotten approval to attend a corporate event in Dublin for that week, which costs a nice bit too for tickets. It would be ideal but there's no 'nice' flight times in Dublin that day.

Wonder would landing at JLA at 7.05 be cutting it too tight for the game at 8?

30 min taxi to hostel, throw the bag into the room (city centre pretty much - close to the docks) & taxi out to Anfield again straight away. Wonder is it possible?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭54and56

FitzShane wrote: »
    Just here trying to work out the trip to Liverpool for the Dortmund game. Had hopes to go over for a few days, but now I have gotten approval to attend a corporate event in Dublin for that week, which costs a nice bit too for tickets. It would be ideal but there's no 'nice' flight times in Dublin that day.

Wonder would landing at JLA at 7.05 be cutting it too tight for the game at 8?

30 min taxi to hostel, throw the bag into the room (city centre pretty much - close to the docks) & taxi out to Anfield again straight away. Wonder is it possible?

Is it hand luggage only?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,100 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Is it hand luggage only?

yep

FitzShane wrote: »
    yep

IMO 55 minutes isn't enough time to:-

- Taxi to the pier, disembark, get through the terminal and jump in a taxi. (Need to allow at least 15 minutes from touchdown to ar$e in a departing taxi)
    - Spend 30 minutes driving to the hostel.
    - 5 minutes minimum to check into hostel and drop bag.
    - 15 minutes taxi to Anfield.
    - 5 minutes getting into the stadium to your seat etc.

If all goes absolutely smoothly i.e. no flight delay, no queue for taxi's, no traffic hold ups and no delay checking into the hostel you'll still require 70 minutes to do what you're planning which puts you in your seat in Anfield at 8:15.

No chance you could travel wearing a spare pair of jocks and stuff a toothbrush and some smellies in your pockets so you could go straight to Anfield??

Also, I've a good bit of experience flying around Europe for work etc and flight delays are most likely to happen at the end of the day as earlier problems knock on so to speak. Even a 30 minute delay would see you missing half the game. E.g. I came home from London on Sunday and my 4pm flight was delayed an hour.

You'd be cutting it really tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

yeah def cut out the hostel run if you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Is it hand luggage only?

Have brought back pack into Anfield before but security may have upped in recent months.

djPSB wrote: »
    Have brought back pack into Anfield before but security may have upped in recent months.

I'd say it would have to be a very small backpack akin to a ladies handbag. Should be plenty big enough to hold underwear, smellies and maybe a polo top or whatever to change into next day.

See http://help.liverpoolfc.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/51/kw/bags%20in%20the%20stadium/session/L3RpbWUvMTQ1OTI2MDQ5OC9zaWQvX2lBbGRITW0%3D The key question is what defines "luggage" and what is permitted in terms of personal bags?

Seems from this thread http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=109547.0 that small backpacks are allowed in so long as you allow them to search in it and you're not carrying anything offensive/stupid which won't be the case (hopefully) if you got the bag onto a plane!!
    I'd definitely chance a small back pack and go direct to the ground rather than route via the hostel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

it does not look good for benteke but id give him a second season before writing him off,plenty of players flop after a big move and find their feet as time goes on, im not saying we should not try upgrade him,just not write him off,1 season isnt enough imo,if no change after 2 seasons then ya,farewell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Or if you really need to bring a larger bag (laptop etc) you could just leave it in a locker in JLA and deal with it after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

it does not look good for benteke but id give him a second season before writing him off,plenty of players flop after a big move and find their feet as time goes on, im not saying we should not try upgrade him,just not write him off,1 season isnt enough imo,if no change after 2 seasons then ya,farewell

Generally I'm all for giving players as much of a chance as possible, but Benteke just doesn't fit the way we play/are going to play under Klopp. He's too expensive to keep around as a plan B. Round pegs, square holes and all that.

Would be much happier with Sturridge, Origi, Firmino, Ings or someone new of Klopp's choice up top than Bentekkers.

I do rate him, but he's not for LFC.

Well, this looks like a title-challenging squad next season if it happens:

http://www.empireofthekop.com/2016/03/29/liverpools-potential-xi-with-mario-gotze-in-201617-is-mouthwatering-with-german-open-to-switch/

New GK should be Ter Stegen and Hector the new LB.

Any team that only has a spot on the bench for Marco Reus is a team that should do great things.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭PTO

Bit of a long shot here but my tickets for Saturdays game have fallen through. Flying in Thursday and gonna spend Friday around the Albert, Flat Iron, Stanley trying to get tickets. Anyone got any advice on where I might pick some up at such short notice? Or am I up a creek without a paddle??

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

http://www.empireofthekop.com/2016/03/29/liverpools-potential-xi-with-mario-gotze-in-201617-is-mouthwatering-with-german-open-to-switch/

Any team that only has a spot on the bench for Marco Reus is a team that should do great things.

Well if we signed every player we were linked with, even limiting it to those we were heavily linked with we'd probably have won the title more than once in recent years.

I'm delighted we are linked with real quality players, but refuse to believe we'll sign many until we actually do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Our year then.

If Benny leaves this summer, as he surely will, who do we replace him with? We have seen plenty of instances where all our strikers are unfit, or unfit and out of form and PLAYING, to dispel any indifference to replacing him properly.

PTO wrote: »
    Bit of a long shot here but my tickets for Saturdays game have fallen through. Flying in Thursday and gonna spend Friday around the Albert, Flat Iron, Stanley trying to get tickets. Anyone got any advice on where I might pick some up at such short notice? Or am I up a creek without a paddle??
    Try looking here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=99210014#post99210014

before you go, might be lucky.

Jaysis, Skrtel!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Jaysis, Skrtel!

In fairness to Martin, he did get his hair cut.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement