Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 15/16

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Sakho has been embarrassing today

He's veered between sublime and brainless all season frankly.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Can afford to carry Mr. Glass when he's putting those chances away. Not so much when he's not.

Goal last game, an assist today.
    We aren't carrying him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

We played well today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Good result for Spurs. Keeps their CL dream alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Can't argue with that result. Spurs have been on fire lately

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

ush wrote: »
    Good result for Spurs. Keeps their CL dream alive.

Poor if they want to win the league, the Top 4 is fairly safe for them I suspect!

Fair result, Spurs score most games home and away. Liverpool did enough to win it in terms of chances created. Allen came on far too late, if you bring him on then you're changing the dynamic in the middle, not something that can be done in the last 10 mins.

Sahko had a better second half, Mig did fine, Hendo likewise, in a more DM type role today.

Just need a bit more firepower up front really, but we knew that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

MD1990 wrote: »
    Sakho been very poor. Its hard when we have no one up front really. Sturridge just won't sprint.
    If you listen to people around here - Sakho is this kind of footballing superhuman who we should build the team around. Reality has proven to be very different.

Honestly, at this stage, I think that every single one of our central defenders need to be moved on.

If you listen to people around here - Sakho is this kind of footballing superhuman who we should build the team around. Reality has proven to be very different.

Honestly, at this stage, I think that every single one of our central defenders need to be moved on.

Nobody thinks that. They think he's a good cb who has poor games. If you could point me to one in the league this season who isn't described accurately above then go for it. There simply isn't that many great ones left in the league. Having a shoddy keeper behind them doesn't help the back 4 and tbh i've seen enough from Lovern and Sakho that i'd like to see them get a chance to develop an understanding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Ah Sakho is a decent CB and Lovren is doing well under Klopp also, there is definitely a spot in the squad/first team for them......we cant ship out every player....

Having a decent reliable keeper behind them improves the whole defence IMO

No talk of defensive coach requirement these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

The Jurgen Klopp era really needs to shape up next season if we're going to hang on to Coutinho. He won't wait forever.

This thread really is a downer, Spurs are where they are for a good reason (everyone else bar Leicester is sh1te!), the game was about right, if Liverpool had more up top we'd have won but Sturridge is not himself, no Firmino and Klopp only plays one striker which I wish he'd change but there we are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Think today showed that there isn't much between Liverpool and title chasing Spurs. Main thing they've had all season though is a fit striker banging in goals in Kane. Makes a big difference to a side.

Our Midfield is lacking any real attacking quality........Milner/Can/Allen/Henderson/Lucas.......where are the goals going to come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

Augeo wrote: »
    No talk of defensive coach requirement these days.

Care to elaborate? i.e. what's your point?

NukaCola wrote: »
    Our Midfield is lacking any real attacking quality........Milner/Can/Allen/Henderson/Lucas.......where are the goals going to come from?

In fairness Henderson has usually been good for 6 or 7 goals a season up to this season. Only got 2 this season. Granted missed a lot due to his injury.

In fairness Henderson has usually been good for 6 or 7 goals a season up to this season. Only got 2 this season. Granted missed a lot due to his injury.

I'd agree with that, but still a shortage in the middle taking that into account.....

Alonso77 wrote: »

It will be interesting how he turns this into a Rodgers better than Klopp arguement alright and even more intriguing, why bother?

Think today showed that there isn't much between Liverpool and title chasing Spurs. Main thing they've had all season though is a fit striker banging in goals in Kane. Makes a big difference to a side.

Also helps having a consistent GK.......A goal scorer and a very good GK makes all the difference.....

We aren't leaking goals.

• Advertisement

monkey9 wrote: »
    It will be interesting how he turns this into a Rodgers better than Klopp arguement alright and even more intriguing, why bother?

Great input from the "contributor" with the apt username

We aren't leaking goals.

Yes , Klopp has improved the team setup.

Great input from the "contributor" with the apt username

Did you just give me a wrestling name with those inverted commas or something?

The apt username. :pac:

You've argued your case well. I am now convinced Brendan Rodgers is a better manager than Jurgen Klopp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Same old.

90% of games this season could be described as us having had plenty of chances to win the game, followed by a disappointingly defensive substitution, ultimately leading to dropped points.

Hopefully better goal scorers will fix both those problems.

You've argued your case well. I am now convinced Brendan Rodgers is a better manager than Jurgen Klopp.

Lost me there kid. The pt I made was
    We aren't leaking goals.
    Unless Skittles plays.

Klopp has benefited from Sturridge coming back into the team, Firmino settling and Sakho and Lovren playing games together.

I don't recall a debate on who was the better manager.

Klopp has a better CV, after 2/3 year we'll see what Klopp can do for Liverpool.

Yes , Klopp has improved the team setup.
    Fingers crossed next season he improves the ppg haul.

Gbear wrote: »
    Same old.

90% of games this season could be described as us having had plenty of chances to win the game, followed by a disappointingly defensive substitution, ultimately leading to dropped points.

Hopefully better goal scorers will fix both those problems.

We talking about the same team that have routinely brought on a striker when winning this season? We've thrown away tons of points because a) we're still developing the style of football that Klopp wants and b) we're not great.

But we're not a million miles away from being a very good team. I honestly think if you add some goals up front, a top class midfielder and a keeper and we'd be pretty much the best team in the league. The problem is you could say the same for about 4 other teams. The signings this summer will need to be spot on.

Ah Sakho is a decent CB and Lovren is doing well under Klopp also, there is definitely a spot in the squad/first team for them......we cant ship out every player....

Having a decent reliable keeper behind them improves the whole defence IMO
    I am not saying I would ship out every player. I would definitely be keeping Clyne.

I am not saying I would ship out every player. I would definitely be keeping Clyne.

So you want to have two new cbs, a new keeper and a new lb. And of course they'll need time to gel and the odds of all of them settling and being better than what we have is pretty small... but yeah defo better to spread our resources out like that and try to become the best team in Europe in one summer as opposed to gradually improving the team with quality and having a degree of continuity.

So do you think the midfield is fine or do we need to get 2 more in there too? How about up front, we prob need another one there... so we'll keep what 2 -3 starters for next year? Maybe 4 at a push... that defo won't end in disaster and we'll defo have the budget to accomplish it.

This summer should be about a) acquiring real class in the final 3rd(Gotze would cover this to a degree) and b) improving the position in which we are weakest (goalkeeper). We're already bringing in Matip and Gomez will be back so i wouldn't even begin to look at a new cb. Matip, Gomez, Sakho and Lovren would be about as good as any 4 cbs in the league as a group imo. which might say more about the standard of the league but thats what we're up against not Barca.

• Advertisement

The reality is Klopp wont have the funds to make sweeping changes in the summer.

I'd let Skrtel go, Enrique is gone, Ilori will probably go also, not sure if Kolo will get a new deal either.

That leaves, Flanagan/Clyne/Lovren/Sakho/Matip/Gomez/Smith/Moreno.....this by and large what we have for next season, and being honest there is enough to work with there, I suppose at LB we are short but we wont have quality cover in every position, not many clubs do. So unless we add one or two more to our defence Klopp has to get the best out of these players.

Ooh love the little digs at klopp and then you deny you have an issue with him. Look Rodgers is gone, I know it hurts you deeply but time heals all wounds. Tear down those tear stained posters of Brendan and come embrace the future under Jurgen. You know you want it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

think today showed Firmino is our best striker at the club unless Sturridge rediscovers his form from 2 years. Sturridge was never a player who would press much but is not making any runs in behind at all. Don't think he will get back his old pace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

I still feel that with a better midfield both the defence and attack will improve a lot. Spurs have a solid, balanced functioning team rather than a team of world class players. Dier at DM, Dembele to carry the ball and Alli and Eriksen to create, while we have a midfield of all the same type of players who's best attribute is pressing.

mav79 wrote: »
    I still feel that with a better midfield both the defence and attack will improve a lot. Spurs have a solid, balanced functioning team rather than a team of world class players. Dier at DM, Dembele to carry the ball and Alli and Eriksen to create, while we have a midfield of all the same type of players who's best attribute is pressing.

Klopp isn't being forced to play all of them.

We're playing 3 CMs. They're playing 2CMs (or 1 DM + 1 CM) and 1 AM.

Milner has again shown himself to be redundant.

That doesn't say anything about the other 2, who were excellent today.

Granted, we were missing Firmino and the likes of Origi and Ibe are far from the finished article, but I really don't see what we have to lose in the league that we need to line up so conservatively.
    Even starting Allen over Milner would be a more aggressive choice.

In the end, I don't really care because there's not a whole lot on the line and, in all likelihood, we just don't have the firepower or the defensive solidity to make such marginal changes bear fruit but I can't say I follow the logic of most of Klopp's team selections this season.

I pray that it's just down to a lack of trust in the attackers at his disposal.

Sturridge was never a player who would press much but is not making any runs in behind at all. Don't think he will get back his old pace.
    I am starting to feel that way too. If PSG came in with a £45M offer, then I'd be inclined to take the bid.

• Advertisement

Lost me there kid. The pt I made was Unless Skittles plays.

Klopp has benefited from Sturridge coming back into the team, Firmino settling and Sakho and Lovren playing games together.

I don't recall a debate on who was the better manager.

Klopp has a better CV, after 2/3 year we'll see what Klopp can do for Liverpool.

How has Klopp benefited from Sturridge being back in the team? He's done without him. Lovren and Sahko have been superb under Klopp.

I am starting to feel that way too. If PSG came in with a £45M offer, then I'd be inclined to take the bid.

I see no reason why they'd offer that.

At the rate things are going I'd snap their hand off for £25m.

The reality is Klopp wont have the funds to make sweeping changes in the summer.

Apparently he's going to get a lot of money to spend in the Summer if you believe the papers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

It's not results like today that have cost is this season , played current top 4 and most likely final top 4 home and away. Only defeat is away to Leicester. 1 point from the 6 games from those in 5th/6th and 7th :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

To be fair the signs are there. Hopefully this year will have most of the players he keeps up to speed and less ****ey injuries next year..euros won't help mind you. A few good signings in the right placed and we won't be far off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

think today showed Firmino is our best striker at the club unless Sturridge rediscovers his form from 2 years. Sturridge was never a player who would press much but is not making any runs in behind at all. Don't think he will get back his old pace.

I don't think he's lost his place, he's just afraid to use it.

Id like him to have a proper preseason and judge then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I was happy with today.

Spurs are the better team with largely better players, and more reliable platers. They're more composed on the ball, more comfortable in their skin, and quite obviously further into their coach's reign, than we are into ours.

But we competed excellently. There were mistakes, but when the game is that fast, and both teams are pressing and counter pressing in the middle third like that, it's going to get sloppy the odd time.

It's clear what Klopp is trying to do, and he just doesn't have enough of the players he needs yet.

We desperately need a striker who is reliable.
    We desperately need a keeper who will give the defence confidence, rather than making them shít themselves.
    We need at least one more CB (excluding Matip).
    We need a LB who doesn't get caught out so often, and who can cross.

Today was fine. Roll on Dortmund.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

How has Klopp benefited from Sturridge being back in the team? He's done without him. Lovren and Sahko have been superb under Klopp.

Jaysus, steady on. There's no way either have been superb, none of our defenders have. Both have probably progressed under him but that's fathoms away from 'superb'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,886 ✭✭✭✭klose

Can suspended for two games also as he's picked up 10 yellows already, Lucas back soon I think so maybe he will slip back in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I don't think he's lost his place, he's just afraid to use it.

Id like him to have a proper preseason and judge then.

He looks like he's minding himself for England this summer. Can't shake the feeling that there was something in the reports when he was returning to full training that he wanted out because he had the hump over the flak he was taking. The perma-sulky-gob he's had on him since he's been back playing (with the hand brake on) has done nothing to reassure me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

I thought we were grand today...we could have won but there's no shame in drawing with Spurs,they're a very good team.

Klopp has the team shape set up as follows

X--X--X--X
    ---X--X
    X---X---X
    ----X

with the emphasis of the three behind the striker on attack. So a two man middle, which is always a high-wire act that puts a premium on ball retention at the front end rather than in the central area (this is how Klopp seems to like to play the game, but I'd certainly have started Allen over Milner today and had more of the middle and less of the attack esp with Firmino out).

Henderson did well where he was asked to play, but its not really where we want to see him playing, as we think he should be "the third man" arriving late.

Klopp appears to be less interested in this as a tactic and the pursuit of Gotez seems to point to a front end that is designed to be possession heavy with Firmino as the 9.5 playing with three 10s across the pitch all doing their work in and around the opposition penalty area when in attack with two "sitting" midfielders working a 30 yard zone behind them. They will of course also be the first line of defence pressing and turning over the ball - the middle two will only come into play when that phase of play yields no turnover and everyone drops into a defensive shape.

Sturridge is useless in such a system as he doesn't just work hard enough regardless of anything else he might do in front of goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,482 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Fell asleep for Kanes goal. Late reaction by Lovern to fact ball was kept in play. I think its because he was really hoping it would go out, we think like that, hoping for an easy way out. As a defender he should expect it to be kept in and get a foot in before ball even reaches Kane.

Ooh love the little digs at klopp and then you deny you have an issue with him. Look Rodgers is gone, I know it hurts you deeply but time heals all wounds. Tear down those tear stained posters of Brendan and come embrace the future under Jurgen. You know you want it.

I know we crossed swords sometime on here due to you talking through your hoop but you should really try and get over it.

How is hoping Klopp improves our ppg next season a dig?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Spurs were everything today we're aspiring to be. Fast in pressing, hard in the tackle,assured in possession. Thought they were excellent.
    Sakho and moreno absolutely shocking today. Poch got his tactics spot on. No wonder he was hitting the turf at the end. Probably the best spurs team to come to anfield in a long time. We were very poor, couldn't put two passes together. No one to calm it down and play the simple ball.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement