Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 15/16

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Find it very hard to attribute any real blame to Lovren either to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Suso scored a hat-trick this afternoon for Genoa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

Pretty annoying that every single goal has to be attributed to a defensive error. Stems from halfwit pundits on the telly trying to make it sound like they have some high level insight into the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Suso scored a hat-trick this afternoon for Genoa.

Never should have gotten rid, etc, etc.

Truth be told Danny Welbeck would regularly score hat tricks in that steaming pile of sh!te league.

Adam Hammill has just scored for Barnsley in the Johnston's Paint Trophy Final - its 3-2 and 6 mins plus added time left.

FT Well done Hammill - he scored the winning goal, a good one it was.

Milkers wrote: »
    Pretty annoying that every single goal has to be attributed to a defensive error. Stems from halfwit pundits on the telly trying to make it sound like they have some high level insight into the game.

Carragher is the number one culprit, although he pointed out other defenders mistakes for every goal we conceded when he was in the team too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

With our draw yesterday and Leicester's win today we are 24 points behind them with 8 games to go.

With their goal difference being considerably better than ours I think it's safe to say that the title chance is gone now.

Will be even more disappointing when United win it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Adam Hammill has just scored for Barnsley in the Johnston's Paint Trophy Final - its 3-2 and 6 mins plus added time left.

FT Well done Hammill - he scored the winning goal, a good one it was.

There's a blast from the past.

Had high hopes for him and Paul Anderson to be our wingers at one stage.

Probably playing off a strikeforce of Craig Lindfield and Dani 'Best Player Ever' Pacheco, with Danny Wilson in the defence.

Funny - of all the players to turn out okay from those youth teams, it was NEVER the ones I liked. When you see someone like San Jose, Hansen or Ayala playing at a decent level, it's nice, but shows just how hard it is to predict and to develop young players.

Milkers wrote: »

Agree totally, there's no such thing as a bloody good goal any more according to internet posters.
    Criticism of Lovren is ridiculous as he had a split second to make a decision and then Kane scored with a fantastic finish.

It seems that supports think every game should be 0-0 with perfect defending.

Also, criticism of Sturridge is ridiculous. His pace is gone etc.
    Rubbish, he's coming back from long term injury.
    Sharpness, pass and match fitness does not come back overnight. It's a process. He did well for the assist and as he gets more games under his belt he'll improve.
    I just hope he goes on a good run now and gets a good pre-season under his belt for next season. Classy player when fully fit.

• Advertisement

Have you got proof that his pace isn't gone and he will improve?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Never should have gotten rid, etc, etc.

Truth be told Danny Welbeck would regularly score hat tricks in that steaming pile of sh!te league.

Ffs Turty.

Seria A isn't THAT bad...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

If Sturridge remains fit I reckon he could be gone in the summer........I base that on very little being honest........Firmino will be our number 9 next season. Call it a bold prediction :pac:

Have you got proof that his pace isn't gone and he will improve?

Not yet as we need time and results to prove that but you can't expect a player to be the exact same as they were as soon as they come back from long term injury.

Do you have proof that he won't?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Ah.......the does God exist argument :)

murpho999 wrote: »
    Not yet as we need time and results to prove that but you can't expect a player to be the exact same as they were as soon as they come back from long term injury.

Do you have proof that he won't?

No but I am not the one calling the opposing claim rubbish.

He's also back a while at this stage.

No but I am not the one calling the opposing claim rubbish.

He's also back a while at this stage.

He's back for about 5 league games. It's going to take longer than that.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

With our draw yesterday and Leicester's win today we are 24 points behind them with 8 games to go.

With their goal difference being considerably better than ours I think it's safe to say that title chance is gone now.

Don't be such a pessimist!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

With their goal difference being considerably better than ours I think it's safe to say that title chance is gone now.

rak8cqB.jpg

• Advertisement

He's back for about 5 league games. It's going to take longer than that.

He is back 13 games in all comps and has been given about an extra 8 minutes by Klopp in Liverpool games what I've not noticed is a commensurate increase in Sturridge's overall level of play. If he isn't willing to put his back into his own game and start to test his own body a bit then he'll be no use to Liverpool or indeed England. So when does he finally stretch his legs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

I don't think Sturridge has lost his pace, I think people just want to see him bust a gut to chase down a ball over the top or close down defenders at speed, but Sturridge never did that, I'd say its one of the reasons he isn't loved by fans the way other players are idolized. Because the guy scores all types of goals at a phenomenal rate per game. He doesn't just sprint behind defenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭PaddyWilliams

I don't see how people are blaming Lovren for that goal yesterday. It was a superb turn and finish by Kane. Not much even the world's best CB's could have done about that. So let's put it down to good play from Kane, rather than bad play from Lovren (which I really don't think it was).

NukaCola wrote: »
    Ah.......the does God exist argument :)

Q.E.D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Getting rid of Benteke and Balotelli will be the priority this Summer so time will tell with Sturridge.

Worryingly we might sleepwalk into 7th and Europa football.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    Getting rid of Benteke and Balotelli will be the priority this Summer so time will tell with Sturridge.

How is qualifying for European football a bad thing?

Sure, the Europa League isn't as prestigious as Champions League football but it is an important first step to learning to juggle resources and 2 matches a week and it is a hell of a lot easier to attract European talent with EL fixtures to offer them than League Cup fixtures.

It will also give us matches to play some of our young players in to gain experience in and keep reserves match fit and show us which players aren't good enough to stay at the club and need replacing and if our squad needs upgrading to reach the minimum standard of the CL.

Just look at the progress of Sevilla as an example of what can be achieved through successive EL qualifications.

I simply cannot see the advantages to NOT qualifying for European football:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Sure, the Europa League isn't as prestigious as Champions League football but it is an important first step to learning to juggle resources and 2 matches a week and it is a hell of a lot easier to attract European talent with EL fixtures to offer them than League Cup fixtures.

It will also give us matches to play some of our young players in to gain experience in and keep reserves match fit and show us which players aren't good enough to stay at the club and need replacing and if our squad needs upgrading to reach the minimum standard of the CL.

Just look at the progress of Sevilla as an example of what can be achieved through successive EL qualifications.

I simply cannot see the advantages to NOT qualifying for European football:confused:

Ah, obviously we would go close to winning the league again. Next time we need to just get knocked off of the league cup and fa cup straight away too.

Unless Klopp split the squad ("kids", loan recalls, Joe Allen) another EL campaign would have little to recommend it.

I'd have been with you a few months back but not now. Something like a Spurs approach would be ok but with the league so competitive I think, like 13/14, we are better out of it, or like Spurs, don't treat it too seriously. Because we are Liverpool though our fans expect to do well in Europe and give it respect.

I think we are better concentrating on getting a good squad of 18 or so players first and then concentrate on expanding the squad to cope with Europe. I'd say atm we've a squad of about 18 but 3 or 4 of those are upgradable. We've plenty of Cup games to give others games.

The Europa is fine if we treat it as a bonus and realise CL is the target. Logic atm suggests a run in the Europa is detrimental to that.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Unless Klopp split the squad ("kids", loan recalls, Joe Allen) another EL campaign would have little to recommend it.

Avoiding Europe until we get into the CL is a guarantee of failure once we get there.

We need to be building a squad that can compete on multiple fronts. Getting into the CL and then imploding because of the match schedule just puts us back to square one again, like during 14/15. If we can't handle the schedule of being in the Europa League while still competing for 4th, we don't deserve to be anywhere near the Champions League imo.

I also don't think the EL has actually impacted us all that much this year. We've used the squad well, only really bringing out the big guns against Utd. The games we dropped league points in were due to poor quality on our part, rather than fixture fatigue I think.

I'd rather we miss out on the CL for 2 or 3 more years if we can actually compete when we get there, rather than only focus on the league next year, qualify, and be an embarrassment way out of our league the following year.

I used that exact same point a few months back Rebel!

I suppose as long as we don't take it too seriously I've no problem with it, but we do take it seriously!

It's grand this season, but it could be argued fighting on 3 fronts this season cost us a real go at 4th. Look at United, stumbling into 4th if they beat City.

• Advertisement

It's a bit like the CL game against Madrid which people still go on about. Logically it was right, emotionally wrong.

Take the league cup this season, enjoyable because we played the kids and got to a S/F and took it seriously. If we'd bowed out earlier nobody would care now. Treating the Europa like Spurs or West Ham did isn't allowed at Liverpool, even if logically it hampers chances of 4th.

I used that exact same point a few months back Rebel!

I suppose as long as we don't take it too seriously I've no problem with it, but we do take it seriously!

It's grand this season, but it could be argued fighting on 3 fronts this season cost us a real go at 4th. Look at United, stumbling into 4th if they beat City.

Poor performances and key injuries at key times has cost us 4th. Plenty of those performances included lots of running and athleticism, but just bad actual play. Poor passing and poor finishing.

Even just looking at that Southampton game - that should have been dead and buried in the first half, with us firmly in the hunt for 4th after it. We didn't lose that game because of tiredness.

I think we've handled the cup competitions really well this season to be honest, regularly making 8 or 9 changes right up until the final few games, so in truth the bulk of our team has only each played 4 or 5 more games on top of the league fixtures.

Coutinho has only started 31 games this season in all competitions,
    Firmino 34,
    Lallana 34, and has improved as the season has gone on,
    Henderson 26,
    Can 46, and the only to probably have been affected by it.
    Origi 16,
    Sturridge 12,
    Benteke 20,
    Allen 17,
    Lucas 25,
    Ibe 20,

Those figures aren't terribly high considering we're 32 games into the league, in the last 8 of the EL, and having gotten to the final of the League Cup. The likes of Vardy, Kante and Mahrez have played more games than most of our squad.

We need just a little more depth by adding a couple of top level players, and then I think we'll be more than capable of dealing with a full european campaign along with the league.

Careful now. I was hounded for suggesting we might benefit from a season not playing in Europe. Some people don't have the ability to see the advantages.

Careful now. I was hounded for suggesting we might benefit from a season not playing in Europe. Some people don't have the ability to see the advantages.

I may well have done the hounding a few months back!

@Rebel, injury and fixture pile ups will happen, sure the Europa makes that worse!

Sure we'll be top and in a Europa Q/F, League Cup winners and in a FA Cup S/F this time next year, so all redundant really!

I may well have done the hounding a few months back!

@Rebel, injury and fixture pile ups will happen, sure the Europa makes that worse!

Sure we'll be top and in a Europa Q/F, League Cup winners and in a FA Cup S/F this time next year, so all redundant really!

Which is why we build a squad capable of dealing with it, rather than wishing it away. Otherwise, we qualify for the CL, have a fixture pile up, and then just capitulate.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Which is why we build a squad capable of dealing with it, rather than wishing it away. Otherwise, we qualify for the CL, have a fixture pile up, and then just capitulate.

Again, I'd prefer to get a good squad of 18 together, we're 3 or 4 short of that now because certain players need replacing/upgrading. Realistically that's where we are at atm. Anything else is wishful thinking.

To give the Europa and the top 4 a good rattle you need 20-22.Getting that in 1 Summer is asking a lot. We could buy 8 or 9 but we know getting half of those to fit in is a tough ask.

Taking the Europa seriously and getting top 4 will stretch the squad. If there's one thing we should all have learned over the last 5 or 6 years it is that.

Again, I'd prefer to get a good squad of 18 together, we're 3 or 4 short of that now because certain players need replacing/upgrading. Realistically that's where we are at atm. Anything else is wishful thinking.

To give the Europa and the top 4 a good rattle you need 20-22.Getting that in 1 Summer is asking a lot. We could buy 8 or 9 but we know getting half of those to fit in is a tough ask.

Taking the Europa seriously and getting top 4 will stretch the squad. If there's one thing we should all have learned over the last 5 or 6 years it is that.

And once we get to the promised land after spending say 3 seasons without European football, will we spend the year bemoaning our lack of a coefficient and end up being seeded 4th because we have little/no recent activity in European football?

Sorry, K-9, I think it's a terrible idea to be classed with Mjittelung(?) and the Tajikistan champions in the last pot due to poor seeding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Just win the EL this season. Then we can discuss whether we're better off waiting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

And once we get to the promised land after spending say 3 seasons without European football, will we spend the year bemoaning our lack of a coefficient and end up being seeded 4th because we have little/no recent activity in European football?

Sorry, K-9, I think it's a terrible idea to be classed with Mjittelung(?) and the Tajikistan champions in the last pot due to poor seeding.

I think league winners get an automatic top seed:-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

The Champions League is all well and good, but when it comes down to it I'll have enjoyed this season's Europa League run more than I did the Champions League under Rodgers.

If it's a choice between being competitive in the Europa league or being cannon fodder in the CL, I'd rather the former. And in the short term, that's probably the reality. If the league form suffers because of the Europa, then so be it, but I like the tournament and just because the cash isn't sufficient to interest a few English alsorans doesn't make it a bad tournament.

• Advertisement

Experience is needed in Europe so Europa qualification is vital imo.

Our league position is ridiculous atm, we need to get the finger out asap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Sturridge is not even playing that well or looking too sharp and he is scoring goals at an excellent rate.

Strikers.jpg

Some people just seem to have an irrational dislike for the guy.

Calls for him to be sold are crazy imo and looking for Origi (who I like) to start ahead of him equally so.

mightyreds wrote: »
    I think league winners get an automatic top seed:-)
    :D
    United look like they will have Mourinho and a few hundred million to spend.
    City will have Pep and probably a few hundred million to spend.
    Arsenal look like they have fourth sown up for eternity, no better, no worse.
    Chelsea will have a new manager and a few hundred million to spend.
    Spurs are a contender and can seemingly get young players for a few million and get them into contention.
    Southampton, Leicester could be pushing again if few injuries happen to them.

It would be nice to win but we will have to be very smart in buying and lucky in playing. And then compete with the above teams...

Sturridge is not even playing that well or looking too sharp and he is scoring goals at an excellent rate.

Strikers.jpg

Some people just seem to have an irrational dislike for the guy.

Calls for him to be sold are crazy imo and looking for Origi (who I like) to start ahead of him equally so.
    1/3 of Firminos time on the pitch.
    1/6 of Kanes time on the pitch.

Tbh, at this stage in his Liverpool career, I wouldn't be crying if he left. He's had one good season, an excellent one tbf, but has barely played in the 2 seasons since.

Every time I look at him on the pitch, my first thought is how many more minutes will it be until he is injured for months again.

Because it IS going to happen, the only question is how many games will he get strolling about up the pitch before he goes off injured again.

Harsh, but that's the way I see him now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Those figures aren't terribly high considering we're 32 games into the league, in the last 8 of the EL, and having gotten to the final of the League Cup. The likes of Vardy, Kante and Mahrez have played more games than most of our squad.

Bit pedantic but we're only 30 games into the league.

By my count we've played 50 games in all competitions with a minimum of 10 more to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 471 ✭✭OrgasmicBaz

I have high hopes for Ings next season, I think he could play either side of a centre forward. He showed brief glimpses of what he can do before he picked up the injury & he would fit the bill for Klopp's intensity tactics. Better option than Origi/Ibe

Lallana is starting to show the player he was few seasons back, think its his run of games, as he was dogged with injuries so far in his Liverpool career

Looking good for next season, hopefully we make the right signings. The last few windows have been really disappointing. Then ship out few players (Bogdan, Skrtel, Illori, Toure, Wisdom, Benteke come to mind)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I like Ings. But wouldn't be expecting too much from him in the 1st half of next season. He is coming back after a serious injury. Fans in the past have too high expectations of players coming back then expecting then to make a huge difference straight away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,654 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I have high hopes for Ings next season, I think he could play either side of a centre forward. He showed brief glimpses of what he can do before he picked up the injury & he would fit the bill for Klopp's intensity tactics. Better option than Origi/Ibe

Lallana is starting to show the player he was few seasons back, think its his run of games, as he was dogged with injuries so far in his Liverpool career

Looking good for next season, hopefully we make the right signings. The last few windows have been really disappointing. Then ship out few players (Bogdan, Skrtel, Illori, Toure, Wisdom, Benteke come to mind)

i too have high hopes for Ings. before his injury i thought he showed well. i dont think that he'll be under pressure from either fans or the manager after such a bad injury .
    As for origi , i personally dont really rate him. At all.
    Whatever about Lallana finding form , i think he has now found a role to play under Klopp.
    No problem with your outs
    -

1/3 of Firminos time on the pitch.
    1/6 of Kanes time on the pitch.

Tbh, at this stage in his Liverpool career, I wouldn't be crying if he left. He's had one good season, an excellent one tbf, but has barely played in the 2 seasons since.

Every time I look at him on the pitch, my first thought is how many more minutes will it be until he is injured for months again.

Because it IS going to happen, the only question is how many games will he get strolling about up the pitch before he goes off injured again.

Harsh, but that's the way I see him now.

Go away with this irrational hatred and come back when you can ignore it and proudly display your hard on for him.

• Advertisement

I'd much sooner see Firmino as the "Striker" with Gotze, Coutinho and Lallana in support.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement