Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 15/16

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Go away with this irrational hatred and come back when you can ignore it and proudly display your hard on for him.

Sturridge has cold hard statistics on his side. Mostly his detractors are just jumping on subjective arguments, like "he looks like he has lost his pace" "he doesn't look bothered" and "he has been invisible."

You honestly haven't stopped complaining about Sturridge since he joined the club, even when he was playing super and we were at the top of the league you were constantly moaning about him.

This is a player who, even on his bad runs, still scores goals.
    At his best, he had the best strike rate of any Liverpool striker ever (not sure if this is still the case) - better than Torres, Suarez, Fowler, Owen, Rush.

He is still our best finisher, still our best goalscorer, and still one of our most creative players. And yes, often one of our most frustrating. He has always been frustrating, he has always been a moaner, always been arrogant, always been selfish. Some of these are actually very positive attributes for a striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Sturridge has cold hard statistics on his side. Mostly his detractors are just jumping on subjective arguments, like "he looks like he has lost his pace" "he doesn't look bothered" and "he has been invisible."

You honestly haven't stopped complaining about Sturridge since he joined the club, even when he was playing super and we were at the top of the league you were constantly moaning about him.

This is a player who, even on his bad runs, still scores goals.
    At his best, he had the best strike rate of any Liverpool striker ever (not sure if this is still the case) - better than Torres, Suarez, Fowler, Owen, Rush.

He is still our best finisher, still our best goalscorer, and still one of our most creative players. And yes, often one of our most frustrating. He has always been frustrating, he has always been a moaner, always been arrogant, always been selfish. Some of these are actually very positive attributes for a striker.

I would agree with myself, i would prefer to have a striker that can put the ball in the net than someone like Orgi who can run all day but at the end of the day its a strikers job to put the ball in the net. I couldnt care less if sturridge did **** all all game as long as he takes his one or two chances that come his way.

With Balotelli and presumably Benteke going a new striker is quite likely. We went into this season with Benteke, Sturridge, Ings & Origi (perhaps Firmino too).

Even playing just 1 up front if Benteke is offloaded a replacement will come in imo.

With Lovren & Sakho playing ok to well of late and Matip coming in along with Gomez returning CB doesn't look too bad. Replacement for Toure and/or Skrtel is likely too and depending on who comes in they might well turn into a challenger for a starting place.

Goalkeeper, as good a CM as we can get and striker of what we hoped Benteke would be (20 goals/season) along with whatever fringe changes are made and we should be good to go.

It's unlikely we'll get a goal return like Vardy or Kane delivered this season of course regardless what you spend on a striker. That's why I think selling Sturridge isn't worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

niallo27 wrote: »
    I would agree with myself, i would prefer to have a striker that can put the ball in the net than someone like Orgi who can run all day but at the end of the day its a strikers job to put the ball in the net. I couldnt care less if sturridge did **** all all game as long as he takes his one or two chances that come his way.

Problem is when he's doing f*ck all and not putting the ball in the net....like Saturday.

His impressive 4 goal return might take a bit of a hit next season too when Villa are relegated.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Problem is when he's doing f*ck all and not putting the ball in the net....like Saturday...........

Did you not see the assist?
    Right place right time, perfect control & pass

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Augeo wrote: »
    Did you not see the assist?
    Right place right time, perfect control & pass

Not only that, the ball is in the opposition final third with Sturridge on the pitch. Since he is back, we are playing the ball accross the back 4 alot less.
    My observation only, no stats to back that up.

Would you consider Simone Zaza? He takes no **** on the field and knows where the goal is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Would you consider Simone Zaza? He takes no **** on the field and knows where the goal is.

He's Italian he can fcuk right off!:eek::p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

The Juventus fellas? Haven't seen him a whole pile. Did score a belter to beat Napoli recently.

He only sign for them last year though, so not sure Juve or the player himself would be willing for him to leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Was happy with the performance on Saturday generally, probably deserved to win on balance. We just tend to need far too many chances before we score imo.

I'm just looking forward to what we do in the summer at this stage and hopeful about next season where Klopp has some players he likes in and a full preseason to implement his ideas.

Thursday should be good craic but I wouldn't be holding my breath that we'll beat them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Thursday should be good craic but I wouldn't be holding my breath that we'll beat them.

They shipped 2 at home to 15th (I think?) placed Werder Bremen on Saturday, finished 3-2. They're a class side from the snippets of them I've seen of them this year, but I don't think we need to get New Balance on the blower to discuss a one off brown away kit, all the same. Score draw on Thursday is far from fantastical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Sturridge is not even playing that well or looking too sharp and he is scoring goals at an excellent rate.

Strikers.jpg

Some people just seem to have an irrational dislike for the guy.

Calls for him to be sold are crazy imo and looking for Origi (who I like) to start ahead of him equally so.

Attacking score me bollix......how is that calculated exactly? I'm all for stats but your comparing a striker to an Attacking midfielder standing in as a striker and one of the best strikers in the league over a much longer period of time, very hard to compare lets be honest here. Just from those stats above in 8 games he has 4 goals, 3 against the worst EPL team on show for quite some time, and 1 assist.

I like Sturridge and I do think he gets a hard enough time and I have absolutely no doubt that if he's fit he's a 1 goal every 2 game striker. He is phenomenal at scoring, but the stats posted above are forcing it a bit, they are kind of weak in truth IMO with such a small sample size versus large sample size, and selectively picked also I'd say.

The most important stat for me is games played. He needs to stay injury free and continue to get his sharpness back and if he does that he'll score goals no problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

And once we get to the promised land after spending say 3 seasons without European football, will we spend the year bemoaning our lack of a coefficient and end up being seeded 4th because we have little/no recent activity in European football?

Sorry, K-9, I think it's a terrible idea to be classed with Mjittelung(?) and the Tajikistan champions in the last pot due to poor seeding.

1 season out of it is hardly the end of the world now.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

NukaCola wrote: »
    Attacking score me bollix......how is that calculated exactly? I'm all for stats but your comparing a striker to an Attacking midfielder standing in as a striker and one of the best strikers in the league over a much longer period of time, very hard to compare lets be honest here. Just from those stats above in 8 games he has 4 goals, 3 against the worst EPL team on show for quite some time, and 1 assist.

I like Sturridge and I do think he gets a hard enough time and I have absolutely no doubt that if he's fit he's a 1 goal every 2 game striker. He is phenomenal at scoring, but the stats posted above are forcing it a bit, they are kind of weak in truth IMO with such a small sample size versus large sample size, and selectively picked also I'd say.

The most important stat for me is games played. He needs to stay injury free and continue to get his sharpness back and if he does that he'll score goals no problem.

Bear in mind, those stats are for his worst run of form at the club, still decent enough.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Lallana gets an easy ride, he needs at least 10 goals a season to be good enough for us.
    Can't score. He has scored once for England in last 10 years.
    He's getting annoying. Not as if he is missing chances either, he's useless at putting himself in a position to score.

K-9 wrote: »
    Bear in mind, those stats are for his worst run of form at the club, still decent enough.

Yea I absolutely agree but I dont see the need to compare them to a completely different style of player and a different striker who can score and keep fit over much larger periods of time while throwing in a arbitrary attacking score.

As I said, If Sturridge stays fit and plays he'll score, no need to try and justify it IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Lallana gets an easy ride, he needs at least 10 goals a season to be good enough for us.
    He's getting annoying. Not as if he is missing chances either, he's useless at putting himself in a position to score.

To be fair, I think he's gotten an awful lot better over the past 3 months though.

At christmas I was done with him. He was hiding in games, moving into already-occupied areas, and jogging around just enough to look busy.

Now, he's actively getting into the middle of things and is often involved in games key moments. He looks a bit stronger, and a bit quicker on his feet too. He still tends to drift in and out of games, but a big improvement imo.

If he continues on like he has over the past few months, i'm totally fine with him staying as a borderline first team player.

I have been a big critic of Lallana and he has been playing really well lately, but I agree he's lacking goals big time.

I have been a big critic of Lallana and he has been playing really well lately, but I agree he's lacking goals big time.

I'd be a big fan of us, I think we play well with him in the team but his goal return of 11 goals in 78 LFC appearances (goal every 7 games) is more than a tad short of where he should be.

For comparison Coutinho is 26 from 135 games (goal every 5.2 games)

1 in 7? Genuinely surprised. Thought it would be 1 in 10, nearly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

It's a complaint that could be used against all our midfield players, tbh.

We are lacking goals from all areas of the pitch from defense all the way through to attack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Watching u21's. Ojo is playing brillant. I think he deserves a PL start. Big talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

MD1990 wrote: »
    Watching u21's. Ojo is playing brillant. I think he deserves a PL start. Big talent.

It's safe to say he'll definitely get one or two by the end of the season. Nothing left to play for in the league, give the youngsters a shot and see who cuts the mustard.

Knex. wrote: »
    1 in 7? Genuinely surprised. Thought it would be 1 in 10, nearly.

If you take away the 2 Europa League goals this season it's about that so I can see where you're coming from :D

Other interesting comparisons aside from Coutinho....

Sterling career total (all PL teams obviously) 34 goals 171 app, 1 in 5
    Walcott 85 goals from 337 PL level apps (ignoring S'ton in the Championship), 1 in 4
    Ozil 19 goals from 111 Arsenal games, 1 in 5.84

Lallana including S'ton PL days totals at 24 goals in 150, 1 in 6.25, that's including Liverpool stats too so I think he's definitely coming up short for us goals wise even accepting he's no Ozil, Walcott or Sterling. I would have expected him to continue at S'ton rate for us, 1 in 5.5 ish.

Has Lallana 3 league goals or 2.
    I only remember 2 not 3 , but every where says 3.

Has Lallana 3 league goals or 2.
    I only remember 2 not 3 , but every where says 3.

Against Man City, Sunderland, and Norwich. All since his upturn in form around mid January.

With the way his performances have improved, I expect him to be more prolific next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

FT U21s Leicester City 0 - 2 Liverpool

Bogdán, Randall, Ilori, Jones, Maguire; Chirivella, Stewart, Brannagan; Kent, Sinclair, Ojo

Kelleher, McLaughlin (on for Stewart at 63 mins), Hart, O'Hanlon (on for Chirivella at 63 mins), M Gomes (on for Kent at 88 mins)

Once again Ojo looks like a player ready for the first team, really good play across the front from him. Kent, McLaughlin, Maguire, Jones Brannagan all playing very well.

Lallana's goals are few and far between and some are soft or not because of talent but lack of it. Goal against Norwich a every dog has it's day goal, a miss kick into the ground that bounces up and into net. That goal against City, a timid shot that rolled in somehow, keeper error whatever.
    His goals are not Coutinho like at all. It matters.
    Stats can lie when some silly miss kick or a keepers error can end up making you look good.

We've all seen this guy beat his man on edge of box, get into box and turn out of box.
    That WTF moment is etched in my mind. He also gets in a position to shoot in box but passes when no one with a brain would. He lacks mental strength, he never wants to take game and make it his. He never wants to be the one to fail so avoids situations where he could.

Lallana's goals are few and far between and some are soft or not because of talent but lack of it. Goal against Norwich a every dog has it's day goal, a miss kick into the ground that bounces up and into net. That goal against City, a timid shot that rolled in somehow, keeper error whatever.
    Stats can lie when some silly miss kick or a keepers error can end up making you look good.

We've all seen this guy beat his man on edge of box, get into box and turn out of box.
    That WTF moment is etched in my mind. He also gets in a position to shoot in box but passes when no one with a brain would. He lacks mental strength, he never wants to take game and make it his. He never wants to be the one to fail so avoids situations where he could.

His 3 goals came in a 6 game cluster.

The latter part of your post I would have agreed with until the new year. He was bloody atrocious until then, but i've definitely seen an awful lot more from him since then. He's been far better at what you're saying - taking a game on at key moments and doing something.

He needs to shoot an awful lot more though, and with more power. Loved his little turn and shot against Spurs though.

• Advertisement

Augeo wrote: »

Lallana including S'ton PL days totals at 24 goals in 150, 1 in 6.25, that's including Liverpool stats too so I think he's definitely coming up short for us goals wise even accepting he's no Ozil, Walcott or Sterling. I would have expected him to continue at S'ton rate for us, 1 in 5.5 ish.
    Stats can lie when some silly miss kick or a keepers error can end up making you look good...........

Stats over 150 games playing for promoted S'ton & Liverpool don't lie imo, they are what they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Those 3 little words that mean so much.. Klopp likes Kane that's for sure. I wonder will Poch stay at Spurs. Just saying.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

garra wrote: »
    Those 3 little words that mean so much.. Klopp likes Kane that's for sure. I wonder will Poch stay at Spurs. Just saying.

I like Kane. Im sure everyone likes Kane. Hes great at football.

that does not mean hes moving to Liverpool. If he leaves Spurs - and thats IF - it will be to a Bayern, City, Barca, Real etc. because Spurs and Daniel Levy will charge through the nose for his services.
    so yeah, realism

garra wrote: »

On the Poch thing - personally I think its insane that the Utd job seems to be coming down to Jose or Giggs. I think they should be throwing their considerable resources behind getting Pochettino in. The perfect man for that job.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    On the Poch thing - personally I think its insane that the Utd job seems to be coming down to Jose or Giggs. I think they should be throwing their considerable resources behind getting Pochettino in. The perfect man for that job.

That's the oddest thing about that whole saga, you'd swear there were no alternatives. Poch would be a good choice. I'd wonder can he repeat a top 2 performance next year though, he has a very settled squad so if they add well, yes. But you know yourself with managers, if he struggles a bit next season with CL and the PL the knives won't be long getting sharpened. This Summer might be his time to move.

Kane has no ambition other than to do well for Spurs. He's very loyal, could do a Gerrard.
    If they were keen to keep him ,Kane would be happy to stay, regardless if Real bid 40m for him and want to shower him in riches. Kane will never have a designer haircut or wear gold boots, he's a football guy. He's an old fashioned kid in a modern game.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,256 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Kane has no ambition other than to do well for Spurs. He's very loyal, could do a Gerrard.
    If they were keen to keep him ,Kane would be happy to stay, regardless if Real bid 40m for him and want to shower him in riches. Kane will never have a designer haircut or wear gold boots, he's a football guy. He's an old fashioned kid in a modern game.

Guaranteed to move so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

What a load of bollox. If Spurs accept a bid from Madrid for Kane you think he won't go? Stop will you. How do you know what he's like or what ambition he has? If Real Madrid want you, you're going to go. Even Gerrard's head was turned once or twice.

Also, a small point to pick. Kane has wore white, yellow, grey and red boots. Old fashioned or what. Stop talking sh1t

Newcastle-v-Tottenham.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

hefferboi wrote: »
    What a load of bollox. If Spurs accept a bid from Madrid for Kane you think he won't go? Stop will you. How do you know what he's like or what ambition he has? If Real Madrid want you, you're going to go. Even Gerrard's head was turned once or twice.

Also, a small point to pick. Kane has wore white, yellow, grey and red boots. Old fashioned or what. Stop talking sh1t

Newcastle-v-Tottenham.jpg

As well as being in the Arsenal academy as a young lad and now playing for Spurs. Maybe he does want to stay with Spurs forever, maybe he'd go. Can't imagine he's above earning twice as much money as he currently is while living in Madrid. Fact of the matter is he probably won't be going anywhere like that any time soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

LOL. Do you know Kane on a personal level?

You can tell what he wants to do with his career based on his haircut? WTF? :pac:

MD1990 wrote: »

https://twitter.com/LFC/status/717081201060618242

https://twitter.com/LFC/status/717083872010211328

• Advertisement

Just to gauge it... if offered 2-1 to Dortmund going into the second leg at Anfield, would you take it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Just to gauge it... if offered 2-1 to Dortmund going into the second leg at Anfield, would you take it?

Absolutely. Away goal and only 1 goal deficit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I actually wouldn't. I fancy us to get something out of the game. Can't wait for it.

If Liverpool can score and be no more than one goal down then there is all to play for next week. That said I think 3-2 to Liverpool is quite possible :) Dortmund give up plenty of chances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Any updates yet on Firminio??

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Any updates yet on Firminio??

as if by magic
    The Anfield Talk
    ‎‎@TheAnfieldTalk

Roberto Firmino is expected to return for Liverpool against Borussia Dortmund on Thursday [Echo]
    11:41 AM - 5 Apr 2016

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

Would you get out of it, if he gets a chance to play for a better team and double his money then he'll be gone. Any footballer would. I'm sure he loves playing for Spurs but that's certainly not to say he won't leave to further his career and swell his bank balance.

Gerrard obviously had a huge spell and Liverpool and he clearly loved the club and yet despite all that when the chance came along to sign for a better team he was down on his two knees begging to go but it just didn't happen for him

as if by magic
    I'm blaming you, Harry, if he doesn't start:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I'm blaming you, Harry, if he doesn't start:P

I'm going to blame Rodgers or Sturridge or maybe Kerrigooney.

Ref announced for the Dortmund game.

Carlos Velasco Carballo, 28 games,154 yellows, 10 reds.

https://twitter.com/TheAnfieldWrap/status/717314488656138240?lang=en

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement