Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 15/16

Comments

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    ..........we just don't have any players that you could label "World Class" with a straight face. The reality is that Klopp has been given a poorly structured squad filled with okay players like Lollana who wouldn't have a place in a post Christmas Champions League XI (where we need to get to over the next two years or so). ................... We can focus on redressing the deficiencies in the squad over the summer.

We'll get there. Keep the faith.

Given Man City's struggles to get to the post Christmas Champions League stages over the last few years I wouldn't be overly disappointed if Klopp didn't get us there in the next 2/3 years. If things fall right and we end up with a potent strike force again it would be reasonably feasible no doubt.

I don't think our squad is too bad in the context of mounting a top4 challenge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Augeo wrote: »
    Given Man City's struggles to get to the post Christmas Champions League stages over the last few years I wouldn't be overly disappointed if Klopp didn't get us there in the next 2/3 years. If things fall right and we end up with a potent strike force again it would be reasonably feasible no doubt.

I don't think our squad is too bad in the context of mounting a top4 challenge.

I would be disappointed if we were getting in the CL and not getting out of the group stages 3 years from now. Why such low expectations? Our manager is better than Pellegrini why compare to Man City?

We had a similar type game v Utd last season to get us right back in the top 4 mix.

Van Gaal got his tactics spot on in that one particularly 1st half and then Gerrard had his 10 second brain fart.

Gotta be winning Sunday but I don't honestly expect us to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    We had a similar type game v Utd last season to get us right back in the top 4 mix.

Van Gaal got his tactics spot on in that one particularly 1st half and then Gerrard had his 10 second brain fart.

Ya but we have Klopp this time not Rodgers, Klopp has come out on top tactically against Pellegrini, Jose and Wenger already this season, I have all the faith in the world he can beat a dinosaur like LVG. If we can play with the same intensity on Sunday we could give united a good beating but we need to wake up at the back. Caulker to start instead of Toure on Sunday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    I don't think koscielny had a bad game and his team could easily have conceded 4 too.

We should also replace Can too. And Klopp... sure pep is available. A club like Liverpool should be challenging on all fronts with world class players in all positions no matter what.

Good point.

Not sure if the second line is directed at me but this can certainly not be levelled against me. I am on record for stating we need to add quality and replacing our GK, not shipping everyone out.
    mav79 wrote: »
    Sakho doesn't cover himself in glory but blaming him for last nights defeat is crazy.

I'm not blaming him, just saying he was poor.....and as I said before, its understandable given his fitness etc

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Speckydodge

Dickerty wrote: »
    Watching the highlights again - that game is why the PL is still the best in the world. Up and down the pitch, quality finishing, passion and effort from everyone, and the last minute goal in the snow when everyone is out on their feet - extraordinary!!

Look, it's a point against the league leaders during a real injury crisis. We managed to put out a good XI, but some were held together with scotch tape. So I'm happy.

No that game highlights why the PL is the most exciting league, it's certainly not the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

He's an okay mid level premiership player. This is the peak of his career. When we're done with him he'll be sliding down the league table in terms of his next move.
    Id say there will be a few twists & turns in his career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Think Sunday will be a much more difficult game than last night. United know they will be cut apart in an open game and their priority will be not to lose so expect 10 men behind the ball plan A that we struggle to break down. And then 20 minutes of plan B lumping it up to Elbows trying to nick a result.

MD1990 wrote: »
    Id say there will be a few twists & turns in his career.

He'll end up doing a 360 back to Southampton I reckon...

• Advertisement

RoboKlopp wrote: »

I'd take any type of good performance.....its important to get some consistency. Honestly if we play as well as we can we have nothing to worry about.

United aren't afraid of going long so we may be undone at that point, we cant sit too deep as we dont have the discipline or intelligence at the back either so we may be exposed by a long ball. I'm sure Klopp has a plan in place anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

By the way, isn't the confidence engendered by knowing you have 'the guy' at the helm massive? This is a difficult period results wise but I'm not frustrated or annoyed because I have a huge amount of confidence in the manager and I can see that his expectations and goals align with where the football club needs to be going long term. Of course, at some point that consistency will need to come but for now it's very easy to let the process unfold.

By the way, isn't the confidence engendered by knowing you have 'the guy' at the helm massive? This is a difficult period results wise but I'm not frustrated or annoyed because I have a huge amount of confidence in the manager and I can see that his expectations and goals align with where the football club needs to be going long term. Of course, at some point that consistency will need to come but for now it's very easy to let the process unfold.

Absolutely, give the guy the time he needs and I am certain he will bring success......I dont think I'd say the same about a lot of other managers if I'm being honest....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Its interesting to watch. I kind of feel Im on the outside looking in.

rob316 wrote: »
    I would be disappointed if we were getting in the CL and not getting out of the group stages 3 years from now. Why such low expectations? Our manager is better than Pellegrini why compare to Man City?

I'm a very optimistic chap but I'm also a realist.

Man City have huge spending power, they have assembled a very decent squad and on their day a very credible first 11.

If we don't get top4 or win EL this year we won't be in the CL next year, to get out of the group stages of the CL the following year or the year after would therefore be a tall task imo considering we aren't hugely experienced in the CL of late.

I don't think perennial CL qualification is the penalty kick it's becoming is some people's minds because we have Klopp at the helm.

Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal are the big4 on paper resources (spending) wise. Spurs aren't far away from ourselves and West Ham are getting a more or less free stadium. Add in the TV money and the seemingly increased competitiveness of the PL and we could well see a 6/7 horse race every year for top4 rather than the more recent status quo with one upset every year or two (L'Pool two seasons ago finishing 2nd par example, Leicester maybe this year, big 3 pts for them last night, still think they'll drop out though).

38 game PL season and a CL campaign won't allow annual overachievement.

NukaCola wrote: »

Quite likely in 2/3 years, we'll be seeing lots of him this season and next imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Doesn't that mean he stays where he is? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Yep, we can all sit back, chug kool-aid and watch the good times roll back in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Hopefully a bit more intensity against United on Sunday. Last season at Anfield we just let them have the ball and allowed them time and space to play. Which is part of the reason why Gerrard came on so wound up that he immidiately put a bad tackle in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Hopefully a bit more intensity against United on Sunday. Last season at Anfield we just let them have the ball and allowed them time and space to play. Which is part of the reason why Gerrard came on so wound up that he immidiately put a bad tackle in.

His tackle was grand...it was just the stamp after !! ;):p:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

For the statheads:

klopp-van-gaal-stats_3360774.jpg

The sequence of games between Klopp's Dortmund and Van Gaal's Bayern perfectly illustrated BVB's resurgence in the Bundesliga. The first meeting between the two men in 2009 saw Van Gaal's team come from behind to win 5-1 in the Westfalenstadion and they repeated the trick in Munich by shrugging off an early Dortmund goal to win 3-1 and complete the double. But it was all change the following year as Klopp's men delivering a Dortmund double instead for only the third time in Bundesliga history.

Klopp managed to turn things around against Louis van Gaal's Bayern Munich

Lucas Barrios and Nuri Sahin scored both home and away with the 3-1 win in Munich proving particularly memorable as it was their first there in 20 years. "When BVB last won here, most of my players were still being breastfed," said Klopp. As for Van Gaal, just nine days after the defeat, it was announced that his contract would be cancelled. Dortmund, meanwhile, went on to win the first of their back-to-back Bundesliga titles and go on a run of five consecutive victories over Bayern.

• Advertisement

Well...you can't so long as you believe Camelot has fallen. This is a happy time. Join us.

Instead of posting nonsense like this why dont you counter the view put forward. It adds nothing to the thread and you come across as very bitter.

Klopp is probably the best manager we could have gotten with a proven record of success. I think he'll be a success at LFC given the proper time. Do you care to make an opposing view or will you attempt another bitter response?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

David Bowie, Lemmy and Alan Rickman gone over the last few weeks.

Very sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

r7XXqpb.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

r7XXqpb.jpg

That paints a very poor picture all round really. Not a single defender goal side of their man in the 6 yard box, and a keeper coming off the line with a ball going to a near post with nobody on it. Its hard to believe its actually a professional team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

ACKjheX.jpg

Instead of posting nonsense like this why dont you counter the view put forward. It adds nothing to the thread and you come across as very bitter.

Klopp is probably the best manager we could have gotten with a proven record of success. I think he'll be a success at LFC given the proper time. Do you care to make an opposing view or will you attempt another bitter response?

Why would I counter a point that I agreed with? I believe we have the right man at the helm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Why would I counter a point that I agreed with? I believe we have the right man at the helm.

I dunno how people made that mistake with your post...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

brevity wrote: »
    David Bowie, Lemmy and Alan Rickman gone over the last few weeks.

Very sad.

Fcuk, I had Joan Collins in the pool.

Grayditch wrote: »

Lloyd's post was accurate, I agreed with it, I'm just amused that the guy who accused everyone of drinking Kool-aid during the BR era is now the most chillaxed, patient fan in the world, a remarkable change in attitude.The ra-ra-ra we are Liverpool schtick has made way for the new Lloyd!

Personally I was drinking Kool-aid then and I still am now.

• Advertisement

Grayditch wrote: »

am-i-out-of-touch-no-it-is-the-children-who-are-wrong-principal-skinner-1433208130.jpg

Lloyd's post was accurate, I agreed with it, I'm just amused that the guy who accused everyone of drinking Kool-aid during the BR era is now the most chillaxed, patient fan in the world, a remarkable change in attitude.The ra-ra-ra we are Liverpool schtick has made way for the new Lloyd!

To be fair if in 2/3 years we don't have world class players and aren't in the post Christmas CL with a PL ppg of 1.5 ish I don't think he'll be overly chillaxed or patient.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Good point.

Not sure if the second line is directed at me but this can certainly not be levelled against me. I am on record for stating we need to add quality and replacing our GK, not shipping everyone out.

I'm not blaming him, just saying he was poor.....and as I said before, its understandable given his fitness etc

Second line wasn't directed at you. Just me venting frustrations.

Also I think moreno has had a better season than Clyne. Clyne has been more solid defensively but he hasn't offered the attacking outlet I'd hoped he would. Moreno is always available and one of the few players we have who creates space for others. His positioning defensively is suspect but a lot of the time his recovery speed makes up for that. He's young enough to improve on that front too.

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Second line wasn't directed at you. Just me venting frustrations.

Also I think moreno has had a better season than Clyne. Clyne has been more solid defensively but he hasn't offered the attacking outlet I'd hoped he would. Moreno is always available and one of the few players we have who creates space for others. His positioning defensively is suspect but a lot of the time his recovery speed makes up for that. He's young enough to improve on that front too.

Well, i suppose it depends on what you want more from a FB. Still very impressed with Clyne, going forward is an issue. Morenos final ball needs improving and isn't solid at the back but I have been impressed with how he has improved also. Very unbalanced all over the pitch though.

Anyway.....Jerome Sinclair being heavily linked with Watford which is a surprise, are they expecting to loose someone?

What I love about Moreno even though he has obvious flaws is his relentless determination to bomb up and down that line for 90mins, he has great heart and desire imo and an unbelievable engine and serious afterburners on him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

If we had a point for every time someone mentioned Sakhos pass completion we'd be well clear in the league. ;)

92% very high though, wouldn't have thought it was near that.

It shows everybody remembers the 8% though!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    92% very high though, wouldn't have thought it was near that.

It shows everybody remembers the 8% though!

I saw the stats come through on the screen after the match last night and it had Lallana as joint top in chances created at 3, I think I can safely say he was fairly poor regardless of the stats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

Klopp has been in the job 3 months, Rodgers had 3 years. Is this so hard for you to grasp?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I saw the stats come through on the screen after the match last night and it had Lallana as joint top in chances created at 3, I think I can safely say he was fairly poor regardless of the stats.

Yep, the stats must be lying.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

What the **** is wrong with you lot today? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

But the main part was he didn't like being dropped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

What the **** is wrong with you lot today? :confused:

Must be something in the Kool-Aid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

monkey9 wrote: »
    Must be something in the Kool-Aid.

That suggests we are all drinking it. I doubt enough people could agree on that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I think what needs to be taken into account is that in his defence, Lloyd didn't want Rodgers and did want Klopp and also the 3 months thing.

I'd be of the opinion were playing better football for the most part now, then we were in the final days of Rodgers era.

• Advertisement

Augeo wrote: »
    To be fair if in 2/3 years we don't have world class players and aren't in the post Christmas CL with a PL ppg of 1.5 ish I don't think he'll be overly chillaxed or patient.
    Alonso77 wrote: »
    Klopp has been in the job 3 months, Rodgers had 3 years. Is this so hard for you to grasp?

Klopp will have to improve, but I expect he will. I ultimately expect that we trade long term in and around 2ppg and compete into the latter stages of European competition. The Houllier / Benitez years are a kind of minimum standard the club should hold in my mind. I believe Klopp is the man to get us there, and I believe he's the best appointment the club has made since 2004.

Bar brief chinks of light, we had a rough half decade or so. This is the most optimistic I've felt about the club in a long time but I accept the challenges ahead are massive, absolutely massive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Klopp will have to improve, but I expect he will. I ultimately expect that we trade long term in and around 2ppg and compete into the latter stages of European competition. The Houllier / Benitez years are a kind of minimum standard the club should hold in my mind. I believe Klopp is the man to get us there, and I believe he's the best appointment the club has made since 2004.

Bar brief chinks of light, we had a rough half decade or so. This is the most optimistic I've felt about the club in a long time but I accept the challenges ahead are massive, absolutely massive.
    I hate this constant pressure to lower our expectations.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Twitter is saying that Bogdan is up for sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

MD1990 wrote: »
    A huge problem with Ibe is his off the ball movement .

I don't agree with that. His main issue is that he rarely does anything productive with the ball. He will beat two men and then trip up or run into a third. He will get into a great position and hit the ball directly into a defender or over hit a cross etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

brevity wrote: »
    Twitter is saying that Bogdan is up for sale.

Couldnt give the lad away.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement