Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 15/16

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Balls. We have five players who will miss return game if they get a yellow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Spanish refs must get paid by the card - or at least think they do.

He reffed the Utd EL game in which Fellaini didn't get booked didn't he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Spanish refs must get paid by the card - or at least think they do.

He reffed the Utd EL game in which Fellaini didn't get booked didn't he?
    :mad:

Feck this. I thought his name was familiar.

Anybody want to guess which 5 of our players will get carded on Thursday night while Dortmund won't get any bookings:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Mats Hummels, Sokratis and Ilkay Gundogan all took part in BVB’s session just over 48 hours before the game at Westfalenstadion.

:mad:

Feck this. I thought his mane was familiar.

Anybody want to guess which 5 of our players will get carded on Thursday night while Dortmund won't get any bookings:(

I don't recall his hair at all! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Mats Hummels, Sokratis and Ilkay Gundogan all took part in BVB’s session just over 48 hours before the game at Westfalenstadion.

Feck, there were reports that Gundogan was unfit :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Knex. wrote: »
    Balls. We have five players who will miss return game if they get a yellow.

Might not matter when we get thumped 7-0 in the first leg :p

I don't recall his hair at all! :p
    I had to be looking at something when United had the ball in case I'd fall asleep:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I had to be looking at something when United had the ball in case I'd fall asleep:pac:

DBZBHwX6SjqQtNpGUnGH_simpsons-soccer-gif-o%20(1).gif

Half back passes to centre, centre back to the wing, back to the centre.
    Centre holds it, holds it, hooooolds it.

• Advertisement

http://deepxg.com/2016/04/05/time-to-shot/

Something for stat lovers to get off on. It's from a Spurs perspective but deals with shots expected in the Premier League from different teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Torres and Suarez both on the scoresheet in the Barca vs. Atletico match. Torres sent off too.

You're welcome, Spain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

martyos121 wrote: »
    Torres and Suarez both on the scoresheet in the Barca vs. Atletico match. Torres sent off too.

You're welcome, Spain.

And 'Louie' still causing tears and butt hurt on boards. I love it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I booked a room for 4 in a hostel in Dortmund a few of the lads are using, booked it the day of the draw. I got a phone call from booking.com on Friday saying that I should not have been able to book that room as they had no availability. They offered to cancel it for me if I wanted or "help" with another booking. After a few emails and call on Friday they offered us an upgrade to a hotel room which is over 500 a night and they are paying the difference. Our hostel was only something like 110 for the night so nice result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Would you get out of it, if he gets a chance to play for a better team and double his money then he'll be gone. Any footballer would. I'm sure he loves playing for Spurs but that's certainly not to say he won't leave to further his career and swell his bank balance.

Gerrard obviously had a huge spell and Liverpool and he clearly loved the club and yet despite all that when the chance came along to sign for a better team he was down on his two knees begging to go but it just didn't happen for him

I said if Spurs wanted to keep him that he would be happy to stay. He would not throw a fit and hand in a transfer if Madrid came knocking, he would stay and probably get an improved contract in process.
    Kane is level headed, maybe too much. He would be easy to keep happy. I doubt Spurs would expect him to be on 35k a week forever. I'm sure he will be on 135k pretty soon.
    I stand by it that Kane will not move if Spurs want to keep him. He's no Sterling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Dub13 wrote: »
    I booked a room for 4 in a hostel in Dortmund a few of the lads are using, booked it the day of the draw. I got a phone call from booking.com on Friday saying that I should not have been able to book that room as they had no availability. They offered to cancel it for me if I wanted or "help" with another booking. After a few emails and call on Friday they offered us an upgrade to a hotel room which is over 500 a night and they are paying the difference. Our hostel was only something like 110 for the night so nice result.

So what you're saying is, we're all welcome to join you in the penthouse?

• Advertisement

http://deepxg.com/2016/04/05/time-to-shot/

Something for stat lovers to get off on. It's from a Spurs perspective but deals with shots expected in the Premier League from different teams.

[insert that Jackie Chan "brain hurts!" picture here]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

Turtyturd wrote: »
    And 'Louie' still causing tears and butt hurt on boards. I love it.

"Flat track bully" :rolleyes:

What are Pool fans opinions on this? Watched a video on West Ham's new ground. It's some set up, plus they've upped their capacity to 60,000 for the new season. Spurs will also have a 61,000 seater ground by 2018.

With the Alexis Sanchez events in mind are fans fearful as London's overwhelming economic dominance over the rest of England begins to slowly but surely filter into football it seems?

Some articles:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/jan/23/london-football-clubs-capital-riches

http://www.citymetric.com/horizons/london-effect-why-capitals-football-teams-are-increasingly-dominating-premier-league-1752

http://www.espnfc.com/blog/espn-fc-united-blog/68/post/2665434/lure-of-london-clubs-threatens-to-dominate-premier-league

Its great to be given a huge stadium isn't it? Liverpool are where Liverpool are, and that's that - Anfield will soon have its new stand and hopefully the Anfield Road end to follow but as someone pointed out in an article I was reading (on the guardian) stadium capacity is not the be all and and all in an era of corporate deals and tv money. As for the London factor - that already exists and nothing can be done about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

What are Pool fans opinions on this? Watched a video on West Ham's new ground. It's some set up, plus they've upped their capacity to 60,000 for the new season. Spurs will also have a 61,000 seater ground by 2018.

With the Alexis Sanchez events in mind are fans fearful as London's overwhelming economic dominance over the rest of England begins to slowly but surely filter into football it seems?

Some articles:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/jan/23/london-football-clubs-capital-riches

http://www.citymetric.com/horizons/london-effect-why-capitals-football-teams-are-increasingly-dominating-premier-league-1752

http://www.espnfc.com/blog/espn-fc-united-blog/68/post/2665434/lure-of-london-clubs-threatens-to-dominate-premier-league
    Sorry, but mentioning West Ham as being on the same page as Liverpool is just fantasy.

As for Spurs - their rise has less to do with the London factor and more to do with the fact that they have been a better performing and better run club. After this season, I believe that Liverpool will only have finished ahead of them on one occasion in the last 8 seasons. Considering how much more money we spend, that level of performance is unacceptable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Sorry, but mentioning West Ham as being on the same page as Liverpool is just fantasy.

As for Spurs - their rise has less to do with the London factor and more to do with the fact that they have been a better performing and better run club. After this season, I believe that Liverpool will only have finished ahead of them on one occasion in the last 8 seasons. Considering how much more money we spend, that level of performance is unacceptable.

That's more a reflection of Liverpool than Spurs though, this will be Spurs first top 3 finish since the 1990., they haven't finished top 2 since 1963.

If Leicester slip up I hope it's them that take advantage of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Some articles:

Is matchday revenue as significant as TV income, sponsorship and shirt sales globally?

Big grounds are cool, but Liverpool are still generating a hell of a lot of income around the world that West Ham could only dream about. The Klopp factor helps too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Is matchday revenue as significant as TV income, sponsorship and shirt sales globally?

Big grounds are cool, but Liverpool are still generating a hell of a lot of income around the world that West Ham could only dream about. The Klopp factor helps too.
    f

http://www2.deloitte.com/uk/en/pages/sports-business-group/articles/deloitte-football-money-league.html

Deloitte Money League gives a good breakdown of all of this.

Liverpool's revenue in 2015 was €392 million, 9th in the world. Matchday revenue accounted for 19% of this. Commercial and broadcasting far more significant and likely to become more so.

The sides ahead - City, Bayern, PSG, United, etc. - all generate far more commercially, which is what makes the difference. Man Utd's matchday revenue is £90m for e.g., while Liverpool's is less than £60m. Commercially, Liverpool are £116m and £125m in broadcasting. United are £101m in broadcasting, oddly, but more than £200m in commercial deals.

Arsenal and Chelsea are ahead of Liverpool but would be a better comparison - but I'm in work so read the link yourself!!

West Ham are 20th in the world. Total revenue €161m, quite a way off Liverpool. Even doubling their matchday revenue (**** - even trebling it) leaves them quite a way behind due to commercial deals mainly.

Matchday €26.2m (£19.9m)
    Broadcasting €103.8m (£79m)
    Commercial €30.9m (£23.5m)

The report even credits West Ham's reappearance in the top 20 for the first time in a decade as being due to the PL factor - broadcasting.

So even with a drop in broadcasting for Liverpool, they are still quite a bit ahead. The gap will shrink a little with the stadium changes, probably, but there's a long way to go in revenue.

Some articles:

It is what it is, we can't move LFC to London and would'nt even if we had the choice!
    Our stadium will be on par with the london club's after the expansion is finished this summer, and truth be told, match day income is not a huge factor in terms of profit/loss at big clubs.
    We have a rich history and a true global fanbase that is already established, no london club can match that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

It is what it is, we can't move LFC to London and would'nt even if we had the choice!
    Our stadium will be on par with the london club's after the expansion is finished this summer, and truth be told, match day income is not a huge factor in terms of profit/loss at big clubs.
    We have a rich history and a true global fanbase that is already established, no london club can match that.

It's interesting to consider that the "Southern" clubs are now over-taking their northern counterparts. West Ham are replacing Everton where Spurs replaced us in recent years. I like our prospects though, the right manager and a new stand to unveil, summer signings plus half a chance of getting to a match with the added capacity.. S'all good for once! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Lazar back at anfield apparently,injured for nxt few weeks so is back with us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,654 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Yeah but the worlwide support was gained mostly because of the phenomenal sucess of the 70's and 80's.
    20 years is all it takes to build an empire. Liverpool have been living off that for a long time so we need to keep attracting support . That means veing sucessful and winning thingd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Success on the pitch matters more for a West Ham or a Spurs. Liverpool or United have a good deal of leeway and goodwill to overcome a period of under performing on the pitch, obviously that can't go on forever or you end up like a Leeds! The Spurs example proves that, performing better than Liverpool on the pitch but a good bit behind financially. We need to get our arse in gear on the pitch though!

Very difficult to get the prestige or "brand awareness" that Liverpool have. City and Chelsea are only building it up and and it took 10 years and sheds loads of money.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Firmino is training with the rest of the squad:)

https://twitter.com/JamesPearceEcho/status/717761000649441280

Lazar back at anfield apparently,injured for nxt few weeks so is back with us

Out for the rest of the season I believe. He's been cursing his own bad luck recently. Must be rather depressing for him.

• Advertisement

While it has been mentioned, something that bugs me is reading the football 'rich list' and seeing the like of chelsea and city up there.
    Both clubs with new money, now for the question

How are they ranked above us in terms of revenue? Surely it's all creative accounting with bloated 'sponsorship' deals that has them ahead? Their fanbase makes up a fraction of ours, there's no way they could be selling more merchandise than us worldwide?

Read through this, the charts tell you what's what (don't worry that the top article is focused on Burnley)

http://swissramble.blogspot.ie/

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Read through this, the charts tell you what's what (don't worry that the top article is focused on Burnley)

http://swissramble.blogspot.ie/

Jaaaaaysus, is there a TLDR version?

spockety wrote: »
    Jaaaaaysus, is there a TLDR version?

1%2BLiverpool%2BP%2526L%2B2015.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

While it has been mentioned, something that bugs me is reading the football 'rich list' and seeing the like of chelsea and city up there.

How are they ranked above us in terms of revenue? Surely it's all creative accounting with bloated 'sponsorship' deals that has them ahead? Their fanbase makes up a fraction of ours, there's no way they could be selling more merchandise than us worldwide?

Chelseas fan base in Asia is massive far bigger than Liverpools, they do a lot of tours their, Liverpool seem to focus on the states, while a easier place to tour, a much harder market to crack into

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭price690

astonaidan wrote: »
    Chelseas fan base in Asia is massive far bigger than Liverpools, they do a lot of tours their, Liverpool seem to focus on the states, while a easier place to tour, a much harder market to crack into

Liverpool have been touring Asia for years, long before Chelsea found their millions. Malaysia and Thailand in particular are countries with huge Liverpool support.

I'm open to correction but I fail see how Chelsea have a far bigger fan base in Asia. Man Utd and Liverpool are 1 and 2 in this region in terms of English clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

astonaidan wrote: »

Then there's also the fact that in Asia they love you long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Might be partially true but not entirely. Looking at that Deloitte list, if we ignore commercial revenue...

City - €57m (matchday) + €178m (broadcast) = €235m
    Arsenal - €132m (matchday) + €168m (broadcast) = €300m
    Chelsea - €93m (matchday) + €178m (broadcast) = €271m
    Liverpool - €75m (matchday) + €164m (broadcast) = €239m

So Pool are outranked in matchday revenue and broadcast revenue by Chelsea and Arsenal, and aren't much ahead of City.

Can claim its all creative accounting all we want but the facts suggest the gap is so much closer than we'd like to think. Upgrading the stadium will help Liverpool a little here, but probably not enough to catch either Arsenal or Chelsea, especially if the latter move to a new ground.

Chelsea, for example, hit their successful stride just as the PL TV deal went global and were in a prime position to take advantage. It's not uncommon to see their jerseys all over the world. City less so, for definite, but it's growing.

Liverpool are historically big but a lack of success in recent years has stunted our growth without a doubt. We still have a base in Malaysia, Thailand, Scandinavia, Australia and parts of Europe and North America, but we're nowhere near the levels of United, for example, and on-field success is the basis for that as far as I can see. It attracts commercial revenue, it attracts worldwide fanbases AND it keeps them around longer.

Barcelona scouts are watching Cameron Brannagan (again!)

https://thenextgenkopites.wordpress.com/
    Interest in the attacking midfielder first arose in May 2014, when Brannagan first broke into the Liverpool first team, during the 4-0 win over Shamrock Rovers in the end of the 2013/14 season.

Speculation ended when Brannagan signed his first professional contract with the Reds in November 2013, after breaking into the U21 side. The Barcelona scouting team have however continued to monitor his progress in the Liverpool U21s side, where has made 50 appearances, scoring nine goals.

Brannagan has also played in the UEFA Youth League, playing against Barcelona’s great rivals Real Madrid, which is where the Catalan side first scouted the midfielder. In his five appearances for Liverpool U19s, he scored twice in just five appearances.

Makes a change from the other way around! :)

ps wonder what Andersonisgod will think of this? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

price690 wrote: »
    Liverpool have been touring Asia for years, long before Chelsea found their millions. Malaysia and Thailand in particular are countries with huge Liverpool support.

I'm open to correction but I fail see how Chelsea have a far bigger fan base in Asia. Man Utd and Liverpool are 1 and 2 in this region in terms of English clubs.

You could be right, I was being racist and basing my point on China and Korea, Ive never actually been to the other places. Id agree United are easily number 1 though, they have a cult following

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Will be watching the game with a bunch of Dortmunders tonight. Looking forward to a bit of ehm..banter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I was starting to feel optimistic for tonight, then I reminded myself that Dortmund's fourth or fifth best player is probably still better than anyone we have, so I'm right back into fearful mode.

Who's on match thread duties?

Edit: I see Owayn, the sap, is already on it.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057582318

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭locked 1

Lads stuck in work till 11 tonight was wondering is there any apps for listening to the match on me phone please

Pm please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭Juan8

locked 1 wrote: »
    Lads stuck in work till 11 tonight was wondering is there any apps for listening to the match on me phone please

Pm please

It'll be on talksport i'd say, download their app

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,654 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

5 live on bbc player ?, though it could be blocked on a irish phone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Oh this day is dragging.

I can't wait for KO, should be some atmosphere.

Will it be Sturridge or Firmino be up front? Maybe both:)

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭locked 1

Juan8 wrote: »
    It'll be on talksport i'd say, download their app

they usually block the matches same as 5 live right restrictions over here loada W$&k

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Oh this day is dragging.

I can't wait for KO, should be some atmosphere.

Will it be Sturridge or Firmino be up front? Maybe both:)

Origi is starting if you can believe Paul Joyce (and there is usually no reason not to)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

If true.... that one hell of a selection by klopp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

locked 1 wrote: »

Pm please

If on Android I think Fotmob have radio for matches.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mobilefootie.wc2010&hl=en

Seems it's on itunes too, (not used that one tho so can't comment.)
    https://itunes.apple.com/en/app/soccer-scores-pro-fotmob/id488575683?mt=8

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement