Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 15/16

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Lovren did fantastic there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,281 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

hefferboi wrote: »
    Milner, can, Henderson and coutinho have been shocking. We're getting split open down the middle. Any ball coutinho is getting he's trying to flick it on. Passing all round has been poor and Clyne and Moreno getting caught out a lot.

Sakho has been very good bar one bad tackle.

Can, Hendo and Coutinho's use of the ball has been criminal alright, think Milner has been slightly better in fairness to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Weidenfeller has kept Borussia Dortmund is this, that flurry of saves early in the second half could yet quite possibly be the moment(s) that will decide the fate of the tie.

Origi was great, did the hard yards all night. Keep moving, held up the ball, brought others into play and scored, maybe should have had a second. Sturridge better watch out - merely starting him on the bench felt like a loud message being sent by Klopp.

All to play for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Can, Hendo and Coutinho's use of the ball has been criminal alright, think Milner has been slightly better in fairness to him.

Milner's passing was apalling as well.

Looked like he won a raffle if you were going on what he did in possession.

Don't think we would've gotten that kind of result without him though.
    We don't have the quality to go toe to toe with Dortmund so having someone do that kind of job in pressing and helping out the defence was vital.

Can was a bit better 2nd half. Maybe Klopp clattered him about the head.
    Allen was smooth as silk.

A good day as far as teamwork, defending and tactics go.
    Less good in possession. Lallana, Allen and Origi were good/very good. Coutinho, Can, Hendo and Milner were all fairly poor/atrocious.
    Lovren and Sakho were the tits.

A great result taken on it's own but I'm far from convinced it'll be enough. Dortmund are easily capable of taking us to the cleaners at Anfield.
    While you might say we had the best of the chances, they had a few as well, and given a chance, you'd back them a lot quicker than you would our faltering shower of invalids that we call a strikeforce.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

We stopped giving away needless balls in the middle in the second half, the Allen effect.

Very happy with that, was expecting a spanking but I think many hyped Dortmund up as world beaters when in fact, they are good, but can certainly be got at. Showed glimpses of brilliant play but overall we should've really won that and us pushing for a winner the last 5 minutes shows that.

Disappoint with Aubameyang & Reus they didn't show much for the hype that said Sakho & Lovren were excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Not that i want to put a downer on the performance, but to defend so well and work so hard and gift them a soft goal is frustrating to say the least. Its obvious at this stage that Sakho/Lovren can work long term for us, a bit more protection from the Midfield and some more work on set pieces and we can be solid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Another goal, even a 2-2 would have been delicious, but I'd have taken 1-1 before the game, with bells on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Ya know, the soccer forum could really do with a,'how can I watch tonight's game thread'.

I'd use it sometimes.

I tried to keep a live weekly on tv thread but it needed to be a sticky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Klopp says Hendo's injury is "not too good". Hopefully just the phrasing he used.

Always disappointing to not win after being in front but 1 -1 away to BD is an excellent result.

Origi took his goal very very well, far from an easy chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

Really good european away performance, soft enough goal to concede but id have taken a 1-1 before kick off. Not surprising to see an opposition keeper have a stormer against us, he really kepy dortmund in the tie. Sakho and lovren were brilliant tonight, sakho on his day is bloody brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Good result, can't be disappointed with that.
    Origi worked hard, his pace is brilliant.
    Shocking how much Hendo has declined as a footballer in the last 6 months, his confidence is just gone.

Everyone else played well enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

very impressive performance against a class team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭careca

Very happy with that. Hard to get a night where everyone shines but lots of good performances. And everyone tried their heart out, no slackers at all.

Not something I would normally comment on but the ref was fantastic. Never let the home crowd get to him. only thing he missed was probably a yellow for Moreno for that stupid lunge on the end line.

Roll on Anfield. Watch from behind the couch job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

corwill wrote: »
    They shipped 2 at home to 15th (I think?) placed Werder Bremen on Saturday, finished 3-2. They're a class side from the snippets of them I've seen of them this year, but I don't think we need to get New Balance on the blower to discuss a one off brown away kit, all the same. Score draw on Thursday is far from fantastical.

giphy.gif

Just 'cos I get eff all footie predictions right! And yes, I know, this barely even counts as one.

Henderson out is one less body but not actually that much of a loss in playing terms. Allen's far more cultured, and knows where he is on the pitch esp when crowded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

NukaCola wrote: »
    Not that i want to put a downer on the performance, but to defend so well and work so hard and gift them a soft goal is frustrating to say the least. Its obvious at this stage that Sakho/Lovren can work long term for us, a bit more protection from the Midfield and some more work on set pieces and we can be solid.
    It's crazy to see a player the size of Lallana to be positioned right in the centre of the goal when defending corners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

We really do look like a better team without Sturridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,281 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Henderson out is one less body but not actually that much of a loss in playing terms. Allen's far more cultured, and knows where he is on the pitch esp when crowded.

Couldn't agree more, Allen did well in the second half, used the ball calmly and accurately most of the time, some timely interceptions and overall more effective than hendo was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Lucas should hopefully be back in the squad for the weekend anyway. Would be great to have him on the bench for the second leg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

We had great calmness on the ball tonight. Klopp mentioned it too '' stay clam'' it really is best advise for our defenders, just chill the fucck out and think clearly.
    Too often they get flustered in the league for no reason whatsoever.

Imagine saying that 5 months ago .

Imagine saying that 5 months ago .

I was!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Here they come.

If PSG come calling looking for someone to stroll about the pitch to knock in that 3rd or 4th goal they can have him!

Dortmund will score an Anfield more than likely, so away goal is not so important.
    I think we will need at least 3 goals over this tie to win , we have 1 .
    Can't see us going 2-0 up in next game so plenty of tension to come. If Dortmund score first they will be leading tie, huge pressure to respond if that happens. We find it hard to score against teams that are leading us , could end up 0-1 next week.
    So balanced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

Not looking good for hendo and can suspended for 2 league games, big chance for allen to show his worth to klopp over the next forthnight so.

As hard as Origi works and as fast as he is he is'nt a 25 goal a season man, at the minute he is'nt even a 20 or a 15.

Sturridge is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

As hard as Origi works and as fast as he is he is'nt a 25 goal a season man, at the minute he is'nt even a 20 or a 15.

Sturridge is.
    At the moment Sturridge most certainly is not!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Ah c'mon

Sturridge is.

When was the last time Sturridge scored 25 goals a season.

The answer is never..He once in 12 seasons scored over 20 and that was playing beside the best player in the league. The next biggest total in a season was 13 at Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

klose wrote: »
    Not looking good for hendo and can suspended for 2 league games, big chance for allen to show his worth to klopp over the next forthnight so.

I think Chirivella might get another look in too, Klopp seems to like him.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

Sakho was boss

Nervol was excellent

but if Klopp was to buy someone from Dortmund I would love it to be Hummels, he is awesome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Anyone else getting an error in the match thread.

latest?cb=20100522011509

On ITV now (not sure about the yyyyyyyyyyyoutveeeeeeeeeeee)

• Advertisement

Sturridge still not up to speed.
    Needs more minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

On ITV now (not sure about the yyyyyyyyyyyoutveeeeeeeeeeee)

You beauty

Absolutely delighted with the result. Going away to Dortmund must have been a nightmare but we pulled off a nearly perfect away performance.

The answer is never..He once in 12 seasons scored over 20 and that was playing beside the best player in the league. The next biggest total in a season was 13 at Chelsea.

And how many of those 12 seasons was he a regular starter?
    His goals to games record is up with the very best of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

It wasn't just that he scored more when he had Luis beside him. He worked so much harder, he was more selfless, and he just generally pushed himself more, because otherwise he hadn't a hope in hell of being anything other just another one of those lads in the same team as Luis.

With Luis gone, he's top dog, and he knows it. Even when he was injured, he was. He doesn't even have to put in top dog performances to maintain his self-image as the top dog.

It's just not sustainable, in the medium term, never mind the long term, not if LFC is to get anywhere near where we all want the club to be.

And how many of those 12 seasons was he a regular starter?
    His goals to games record is up with the very best of them.

Exactly you can't be relied on to be regular starter and we need to find someone who is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Exactly you can't be relied on to be regular starter and we need to find someone who is.

We do.

You could give the anti-Sturridge agenda a break for one match though.

His goals to games record is still quite amazing. How he come back from a local g layoff and not need any lead in time before he scores is beyond me.

I shouldn't do it to myself, but I'd love to see if he can get a preseason in.

I don't think anyone will buy him for anything worth selling. If rather see him play ten games for us a season and score ten goals than sell him for the sake of it. A new first choice is necessary with Benteke out in the cold though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Great performance tonight. We pressed very well.

Not sure Sturridge is a 25 goal a season striker when he can barely play 25 games a season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Good result and performance tonight but I'm pissed off we conceded from a set piece yet again,lallana the only fella challenging in the air,****ing disgraceful tbf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

corwill wrote: »
    It wasn't just that he scored more when he had Luis beside him. He worked so much harder, he was more selfless, and he just generally pushed himself more, because otherwise he hadn't a hope in hell of being anything other just another one of those lads in the same team as Luis.

With Luis gone, he's top dog, and he knows it. Even when he was injured, he was. He doesn't even have to put in top dog performances to maintain his self-image as the top dog.

It's just not sustainable, in the medium term, never mind the long term, not if LFC is to get anywhere near where we all want the club to be.

He scored quite a few goals while Suarez was banned, I seem to remember. It wasn't just because Suarez was playing with him that he had a great season. He just had a great season.

The need for another striker this summer is obvious given Sturridge's injury record, however saying we are a better team without him in it is madness.
    In terms of ability he's head and shoulders ahead of any other striker at the club, and again his goals record backs that up.

Why should we be looking to get rid of him just when he might have turned the corner with his injuries? We'll never recieve his true transfer value if we sell this summer, maybe Klopp will get the best out of him in the same way Saurez did, either way it's a bit premature to be wanting him gone, players of his ability don't come around very often and when they do there are half a dozen teams in our own league that could be seen as better options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

We'd all have taken it of course but even 1 of those chances converted would have made the home leg a little less uncomfortable. They score 1,it's all up for grabs, we'd scored another, we're grand.

Sakho and Can immense. With Can, you get tantalising glimpses of what this player can be when he's 27/28, ball playing, fearless leader.

Very hard to criticise anybody, Milner average as the cliche goes, but one of those players you need in an away tough European leg. Moreno, I love him, probably because he's so entertaining, brain dead!

Allen, just does the right thing.

Yet, Origi, didn't do the right thing and scored! That's what you want from a striker, did all the right things in an away Europe performance.

I expected him to hold that ball up, the right thing to do, and we'd all probably mumbled well done Origi, but he did the unexpected, that's why he scored. That's the beauty of sport.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

We won't really know until the return fixture is over if it was regrettable that we didn't win today. It's tight. Real tight.

We'd be heading into the next round in the 89th min at 0-0 and one mistake could change it all. Looking forward to the sheer stress of that next week, anyway.

Sakho and Can showing they should be first choice for the next few seasons.

Can is a very very exciting player. Very classy and Klopp will bring about some serious improvement and consistency. I think he will become a great player for us.

Lovern is a bag of shíte IMO. Wasn't happy when we bought him and would not be happy to see him as first choice next season. Not good enough to be a squad player.

Klopp making a serious statement by playing Origi ahead of Sturridge. It may be because we were away from home but if Origi starts in the return leg then Sturridge may be looking for a new club.

Moreno is still a clown and Lallana has a bright future playing for Klopp but, more importantly, he will be a very important squad player just like Joe Allen. They might never nail down a first team place but will get plenty of minutes over a season and have the quality to blend right in.

Great performance tonight, but still hard to call who will go through, however on the evidence of tonight we have a very good opportunity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Lovern is a bag of shíte IMO. Wasn't happy when we bought him and would not be happy to see him as first choice next season. Not good enough to be a squad player.

Actually think he's probably been the most improved player under Klopp. Admittedly coming from a low base. In fact I think he's been pretty good for the most part since Klopp got to the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Actually think he's probably been the most improved player under Klopp. Admittedly coming from a low base. In fact I think he's been pretty good for the most part since Klopp got to the club.

Yeah, I mean, he's still not perfect, but when you think back to the kinds of mistakes he used to make, his concentration and game intelligence has come in in leaps and bounds. He looks like the guy Southampton had under Pochettino again.

As for new CB's, aside from Matip i'm not sure where we fit in another one. Even with Toure and Skrtel gone, we still have Lovren, Sakho, Matip, and Gomez. I'm kind of ok with that though. Having said that, i'd like to hang onto Toure for one more year. Great for the squad, and a very able debuty for the handful of games he'd be required.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement