Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 15/16

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

NukaCola wrote: »
    Its unlikely that United will make top 4 anyway......possible but unlikely......just checking out the league table, United have the 2nd lowest goals scored in the top 12 with 39, Stoke being the lowest with 37.....their goals against is 2nd best though, they've turned into a real strange team under Van Gaal.......

All that being said, they play Villa today so should increase their goals for quite handy....

With City playing Chelsea, and utd playing a pub team this weekend it could be down to a point or 2 by tomorrow. Still not favourites, but far from unlikely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I wonder where they'd be if everyone didn't fire all of their shots straight at De Gea...

De Gea and Martial have been the very good this season.

Some of their young guys have progressed well but I think Van Gaal has ruined a few of them McNair etc when he threw them under the bus for a few poor performances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Congrats on post of the day, well deserved on the final day of the Hillsborough memorial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,646 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

How do you find the " thanks section " ?

cjmc wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/#tabs-thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Click on the Boards.ie in the top lefthand corner of this page(if on desktop) and it'll bring you to a page with a few tabs...trending,latest posts etc. and most thanked is one of them.

Augeo wrote: »

Er...yeah...that's easier :o

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Speckydodge

Wouldn't it be great if Utd finished 4th but we won the Europa league and city won the champions league(finishing 5th in the league) which would mean Utd would have to miss out as a maximum of 5 teams can qualify from one country😂

No it wouldn't. That scenario would push us down to CL qualifiers rather then straight into the group stages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

If you mean how do you thank a post...its the thumbs up symbol at the bottom right.

Now your homework for today is to go back and thank every post from 8.05pm on Thursday night in the match thread.:D

Edit:Oops...ignore the first line but feel free to do the last one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

5starpool wrote: »
    With City playing Chelsea, and utd playing a pub team this weekend it could be down to a point or 2 by tomorrow. Still not favourites, but far from unlikely.

I just dont see United getting more points than City in the run in. Uniteds run in looks decent but they just dont score enough. I suppose the CL semi's might distract City and it is a crazy season......

I personally dont think they'll do it and still think its unlikely......"far from unlikely" is likely, unless my likelyness scale is broken :pac: I definitely would not say they are likely to get top 4...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Can out for the rest of the season, 4 weeks minimum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

If we win the EL, is there anything to said for Utd qualifying for the CL?

Let Agent Van Gaal complete his mission. It'll be like Carthage by the time that fruit loop is done.

This ****'s chess, it ain't checkers.

We are tight in midfield now. Any more injuries and we are in trouble

I'd certainly start the Academy players in the league from here on. If Lucas and Allen are injured then any chances in the EL are gone.

NukaCola wrote: »
    I just dont see United getting more points than City in the run in. Uniteds run in looks decent but they just dont score enough. I suppose the CL semi's might distract City and it is a crazy season......

I personally dont think they'll do it and still think its unlikely......"far from unlikely" is likely, unless my likelyness scale is broken :pac: I definitely would not say they are likely to get top 4...

Well if the only 2 measures are likely and unlikely, then they are on the unlikely side alright.

It's hard to predict what result utd or indeed City will get in any particular match, but utd have a decent chance (around 30% I reckon) of finishing above City.

I'd certainly start the Academy players in the league from here on. If Lucas and Allen are injured then any chances in the EL are gone.

I don't agree. By all means make a few changes, and if we drop points tomorrow or Wednesday then it is definitely no question right to focus mainly on the EL, but if we win tomorrow and Wednesday, we should be looking to finish as high up as we can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,665 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

corwill wrote: »
    If we win the EL, is there anything to said for Utd qualifying for the CL?

Let Agent Van Gaal complete his mission. It'll be like Carthage by the time that fruit loop is done.

This ****'s chess, it ain't checkers.

FA Cup win might just achieve the same.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

I don't agree. By all means make a few changes, and if we drop points tomorrow or Wednesday then it is definitely no question right to focus mainly on the EL, but if we win tomorrow and Wednesday, we should be looking to finish as high up as we can.

Bigtime.

Missing out on the Europa would be a disaster imo.

This week has shown what European games mean to Liverpool.

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Bigtime.

Missing out on the Europa would be a disaster imo.

This week has shown what European games mean to Liverpool.

It's balancing act but one where the bias is now firmly in favour of the EL not the PL as a way into Europe.

• Advertisement

Milner, Allen, Lucas, Stewart. Those are the 4 remaining midfielders we have of first XI pedigree. I reckon the likes of Chirivella might get some game time in some league games assuming we have some games that are less important because of league position or just resting some ahead of Villareal or a possible final. We have at least 9 games between tomorrow and the 15th May, with the final on 18th May if we get there,so we can't afford to lose any more midfielders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    We are tight in midfield now. Any more injuries and we are in trouble

Least Stewart and Lucas are back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

Can out for the rest of the season, 4 weeks minimum.

That's such a huge disappointment. He was integral to us advancing the other evening. Can't wait to see him kick on next season.

Thanks for the life size pictures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Ciano35

Thanks for the life size pictures.

Sorry I'm on mobile didn't realise :(
    changed to links now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

It's a shame about Emre, out for remainder of season with ankle ligaments.

One of the positives of this season is the influence of management on a large proportion of our players. Can has matured and is showing significantly better decision making in possession. Lallana has migrated from spinning top to thrusting incisive midfielder. Mig resembles a top class keeper in charge of his box and the Sakho Lovren partnership is bedding in. Origi was a lost boy, is now a confident young man and cracking striker. And Allen has evolved into a mixture of swash-buckling Gerrard and pivot point Pirlo. And not a hint of hyperbole in my analysis.

If a great man-manager can squeeze an extra 10% from his players, he is worth every penny of his salary.

Kevin Stewart will be like Claude Makélélé by the end of the season

Gutted for Can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

garra wrote: »
    It's a shame about Emre, out for remainder of season with ankle ligaments.

One of the positives of this season is the influence of management on a large proportion of our players. Can has matured and is showing significantly better decision making in possession. Lallana has migrated from spinning top to thrusting incisive midfielder. Mig resembles a top class keeper in charge of his box and the Sakho Lovren partnership is bedding in. Origi was a lost boy, is now a confident young man and cracking striker. And Allen has evolved into a mixture of swash-buckling Gerrard and pivot point Pirlo. And not a hint of hyperbole in my analysis.

If a great man-manager can squeeze an extra 10% from his players, he is worth every penny of his salary.

I'm all for good vibes and happy feelings after that match, but Mig still isn't resembling a top quality keeper for me. He makes some great saves and then has the worst of brain farts. I'd be happy with him as a number 2 but an upgrade would be welcomed with open arms.

Kevin Stewart will be like Claude Makélélé by the end of the season

Not in our EL squad though, so Lucas, Milner and Allen are it for the Villareal games, with Chirivella the next in line I assume unless we put Coutinho or Lallana into a deeper role if needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Now that were so light in the middle we might see Cout playing a little deeper with Allen and Lucas the DM.

Then Firmino, Lalana a little further ahead.

Wisdom gave away a penalty, Borini scored it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Oh dear, Wisdom caught Borini on the leg there and gave a penalty away. Borini puts away the penalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

With his face.

No, Harry, I wouldn't agree.

We could yet be dependent on a high league place to qualify for European competition next season. I would still like us to fight for 4th place, even up to the point that it becomes a mathematical impossibility to qualify. Or 5th place.

Winning the EL to qualify for Europe has a lower probability of happening than finishing 5th.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭slingerz

No, Harry, I wouldn't agree.

We could yet be dependent on a high league place to qualify for European competition next season. I would still like us to fight for 4th place, even up to the point that it becomes a mathematical impossibility to qualify. Or 5th place.

Winning the EL to qualify for Europe has a lower probability of happening than finishing 5th.

Kevin Stewart unavailable for Europe so he's likely to get more game time in the league. Brannigan should also be involved in the league with Brannagan available off the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

slingerz wrote: »
    Brannigan should also be involved in the league with Brannagan available off the bench.

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

8-10 wrote: »
    :confused:

Probably meant "Kevin Stewart should be involved in the league with Brannagan available off the bench"......

slingerz wrote: »
    Kevin Stewart unavailable for Europe so he's likely to get more game time in the league. Brannigan should also be involved in the league with Brannagan available off the bench.
    I've no problem with Stewart starting or Brannigan for that matter, though I much prefer Stewart. Randall won't make our grade, I think, and Chirivella is a bit too inexperienced atm. Ojo should get some game time too.

That's still only 2 inexperienced players, Harry. I would still prefer a league push while keeping the EL in mind and I would prefer more experienced players for that while still playing some reserves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

We should play our strongest team in the run up to the semi final not just to get the best league position but also to keep the momentum and swagger going that win over BVB will have given the players.

• Advertisement

We should play our strongest team in the run up to the semi final not just to get the best league position but also to keep the momentum and swagger going that win over BVB will have given the players.

I'd definitely take the risk of playing Sahko every game, any break at all seems to play havoc with his form.

OK, I'll be in Lanzarote (Puerto del Carmen) for the first leg of the EL semi final. Anyone any suggestions of where is the best place to watch it? I know it'll be on in loads of places, just want to see if there are any places that someone here is aware of that has big screens, good sound and a bit of a crowd too most likely. I want to avoid the likes of Linekers though as that is a horrible place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

OK, I'll be in Lanzarote (Puerto del Carmen) for the first leg of the EL semi final. Anyone any suggestions of where is the best place to watch it? I know it'll be on in loads of places, just want to see if there are any places that someone here is aware of that has big screens, good sound and a bit of a crowd too most likely. I want to avoid the likes of Linekers though as that is a horrible place.

This sports bar gets very good reviews, might be worth checking out - https://www.tripadvisor.ie/Attraction_Review-g187477-d4011570-Reviews-Old_Town_Sports_Bar_Lanzarote-Lanzarote_Canary_Islands.html

Milner, Allen, Lucas, Stewart. Those are the 4 remaining midfielders we have of first XI pedigree................
    emmetkenny wrote: »
    Now that were so light in the middle we might see Cout playing a little deeper with Allen and Lucas the DM.

Then Firmino, Lalana a little further ahead.

Milner, Lucas & Allen all playing usually looked a disaster but with Allen seeming somewhat rejuvenated of late it might work.

Can in his current form is a huge fecking loss, a big worry really.

I think to see Coutinho deeper Milner would have to be CM but I'm not at all sure who'd be better alongside him, Lucas or Allen. I think lots of Allen looking good is due to the midfield functioning well with Can in form.

I suppose with the option Origi is presenting as a striker we can perhaps be a bit lighter/softer in CM if Sakho and Lovren continue to impress.

Lucas can also be dedicated DM as Sakho can distribute from CB and Milner is well able to pass too.

Headscratching stuff.

I can definitely live with not seeing Milner in central midfield again. He's awful there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I think we broke football on Thursday, every game is so bbboorrrrrrriiinnnnggggg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

vNs3XsX.jpg

The latest leaked 2016/17 Home jersey looks very nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

O' Connells Dugout will show every game, well worth a visit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

mav79 wrote: »
    O' Connells Dugout will show every game, well worth a visit.

Yeah, smashing little place to watch the game..

• Advertisement

Have we ever seen Coutinho play deeper in a more conventional midfield role? It keeps being suggested; I know he's class on the ball, but I don't know if that makes him a "CM". I'd worry a fast paced game would pass him by some what farther back the field.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement