Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 15/16

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

5starpool wrote: »
    By my quick calculations, 7 of those grounds are defunct now. Highbury, Ayresome Park, Baseball Ground, Maine Road, Roker Park, Highfield Road, The Dell. White Hart Lane and Upton Park will be added to that list soon also.

Edit: From wiki - As of the 2015–16 season, Premier League football has been played in 53 stadiums since the formation of the Premier League in 1992. This means there are 3 grounds we haven't won at.

47 different clubs have played in the premier league since its inception.

Blackpool would be one we didn't win at.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,665 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Interesting that - it was 22 the first season, and 3 guaranteed newbies the second season = 25, so its been near enough 1 new team every year since then to get to 47.

Presumably its close to the end of its growth though and it'll only be one or two new clubs every decade from here on.

Well,, with the advent of the playoffs it throws the whole thing open for wildcards.

Looks like Brighton could be the only candidates for PL new arrivals this year.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

K-9 wrote: »
    Blackpool would be one we didn't win at.

Nope, that famous loss was at Anfield!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Looks like Brighton could be the only candidates for PL new arrivals this year.

Yep was just thinking they'd probably be the next debutant's to the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

K-9 wrote: »
    Nope, that famous loss was at Anfield!

Didn't we draw there in Kenny's first league match?

Poulsen and Spearing started the game if I remember correctly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

J Mysterio wrote: »

Good job FSG are redeveloping Anfield, rather than a poxh new stadium in Stanley Park.

They learned from Fenway Park. In 2002 the owners and potential investors all wanted to move the Red Sox away from Fenway. FSG swooped in as the only investment team advocating for a redevelopment of the existing park instead which they did. In fairness they squeezed every inch of the park for $'s and extra seats (they have seats on the roof nowadays) so have vastly increased game-day revenues without having to move the team.

Same thing is happening here. Redevelopment for more seats, but also look out for the increased footprint of the stadium.

It will be similar to Lansdowne St outside Fenway - pedestrianised zone for fans before the game. Anfield will be similar, they'll extend the footprint of the stadium so that on matchdays it will all be happening right outside the stadium on a plaza/concourse type-thing (I guess similar to Wembley?).

Means that there'll be food vans and merchandise sold on the street, but instead of today when it's local vendors, these will be club affiliated as it's part of the stadium land. Overall will increase the matchday revenues for the club. The owners aren't stupid and have been here before, they see the vendors outside Anfield on gameday selling to Liverpool fans - so why shouldn't the club get that business?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

They never played for Liverpool what are you talking about :)

rob316 wrote: »
    They never played for Liverpool what are you talking about :)

Good point

342710_1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭PaddyWilliams

Sweet Jesus, don't bring back those awful memories.

_62654042_142263948.jpg

Poulsen-Liverpool-in-crisis-fa938ffb-5604-4f38-9c33-cebe50819419.jpg

paul-konchesky-liverpool.jpg

Roy-Hodgson-Liverpool-man-006.jpg

Bildschirmfoto-2013-06-06-um-23.25.45.png

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Really harsh on Spearing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

spockety wrote: »

Agreed, not of the required standard, but always gave 100%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

NukaCola wrote: »
    That guy has a horn for Danny.

"Do you believe Daniel was inspirational for the team"?
    "Daniel Sturridge won the game for you".....then shaking his head while Klopp answered someone else's question......because Klopp said one player cant win you a game of football.
    Klopps never managed Suarez....
    spockety wrote: »
    I see where he is fit and ready to play for Bolton but they refuse to play him because one more appearance will trigger a bonus payment (of £100k iirc) to us and they cannot afford to pay it:(

Turtyturd wrote: »
    ........ I am sure he's well aware that stuff like that contributes to Sturridge's attitude............

I'd say that attitude thing is all in your head really.
    Perception cannot be confused with reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I see where he is fit and ready to play for Bolton but they refuse to play him because one more appearance will trigger a bonus payment (of £100k iirc) to us and they cannot afford to pay it:(

Yep and apparently we're refusing to drop the price for them, how dare we hold up a contract that Bolton agreed to.

Harsh on Poulsen too. Good player but wrong player at wrong time for Liverpool.

Unlike complete no-hopers like Konchesky, he was actually a good player who could just never fit in. He's in the bucket with Benteke and Sahin for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Klopps never managed Suarez....

I guess that your probably saying that in a tongue in cheek kind of a way, but I think Klopps point that one player cant win you a game is pretty obvious, even when Suarez was playing well players like Coutinho Sturridge Sterling all played big parts in winning games.....

8-10 wrote: »
    Harsh on Poulsen too. Good player but wrong player at wrong time for Liverpool.

Unlike complete no-hopers like Konchesky, he was actually a good player who could just never fit in. He's in the bucket with Benteke and Sahin for me.

No he wasn't a good player but I do agree that whole time was probably the worst I can remember as a Liverpool supporter so my judgement is a bit clouded. Honourable mention too for lard arse Joe Cole.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

No he wasn't a good player but I do agree that whole time was probably the worst I can remember as a Liverpool supporter so my judgement is a bit clouded. Honourable mention too for lard arse Joe Cole.

Poulsen was/is a decent pro, not spectacular but he's a solid enough midfielder who always have his best.

Joe Cole on the other hand...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

These 2 stats surprised me:
    Firmino is averaging a goal/assist every 107 minutes this season- better than Ozil (113), De Bruyne (116), Mahrez (118) and Payet (131).
    Sturridge is averaging a goal/assist every 96 minutes this season- better than Vardy (123), Aguero (102) and Lukaku (121).

If Firmino manages to stay fit, because Danny certainly won't, a front 3 with Divock and Coutinho could be lethal next season.

• Advertisement

No he wasn't a good player but I do agree that whole time was probably the worst I can remember as a Liverpool supporter so my judgement is a bit clouded.

But that's my point, I'm agreeing he was poor, very poor, at Liverpool. But he was a good player before Liverpool and after at many clubs and international level.

It's like blanketly saying Christian Benteke and Nuri Sahin aren't good players. They are. Just not at their time with Liverpool.

Some signings we make go on to be much better with us than anyone else. Others end up worse with us than anywhere else.

Others were just limited players who were never great either with us or elsewhere and I'm saying that Poulsen is not one of them. Have seen him put in some completely boss performances since leaving Liverpool in a team that was much better suited to him.

Wrong player wrong time and it's an insult to compare him to some of the complete tripe we've signed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

In regards to Firmino losing a bit of form, I think it needs to be remembered that this time last year he'd had a two week break over winter in the Bundesliga. He hasn't been afforded such a break this season. While it doesn't sound like much of a break, in his first season in England, it must have taken some effect. Even more so when you consider he didn't get much of a summer break either as he played in the Copa America.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

I remember being genuinely happy we signed Poulsen, cause he was/is a decent player.

Btw does anyone know of any plans to redevelop The Anfield Road end or The Kop once the new stand is complete. I reckon both those stands in particular AR end could be developed .

Honestly I think we are set in the striking department next season we have Danny, Ings, Origi and Firmino, maybe a young lad about 18/19 as backup/protégé would be good.

CM, CB, FB are the positions of most urgency. Markovic will be back next season and with the emergence of Ojo I don't see winger as a huge priority anymore, although if a top level goal scoring one can be gotten then we should.

I remember being genuinely happy we signed Poulsen, cause he was/is a decent player.

Btw does anyone know of any plans to redevelop The Anfield Road end or The Kop once the new stand is complete. I reckon both those stands in particular AR end could be developed .

Stage 2 of the redevelopment is adding 4,500 to the anfield road end. The Kop cant be extended. Well it could be but you could only take off the roof and build up, not back due to the road behind it. The stand would have to be closed during construction leading to loss of revenue and atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Honestly I think we are set in the striking department next season we have Danny, Ings, Origi and Firmino, maybe a young lad about 18/19 as backup/protégé would be good.

CM, CB, FB are the positions of most urgency. Markovic will be back next season and with the emergence of Ojo I don't see winger as a huge priority anymore, although if a top level goal scoring one can be gotten then we should.

If you look at the players who can play as CF or whatever we are calling that these days, i.e. through the middle as the pinnacle of the attacking 3, we have Origi, Benteke and Sturridge. I'd say Benteke is gone, leaving us with Origi and half a season's worth of Sturridge if we are lucky. If Ings comes back from injury ok, we're probably fine, but if not you have serious injury question marks over 2 of the 3. Even if Ings comes back ok, it'll be months before he is fully up to speed again.

Markovic has a lot to prove.

I still think we'll look at attacking options

Have a feeling we'll be looking to shift all 3 of Sturridge, Balotelli and Benteke leaving us with Ings, Firmino, Origi and at least 1 new signing that will be more of a big signing than the young protege-type you suggest.

I just think that Klopp will be looking at more first team changes than people think and some of the bigger names like Sturridge and Henderson might not be part of the plan, with Coutinho possibly not staying either

If you look at the players who can play as CF or whatever we are calling that these days, i.e. through the middle as the pinnacle of the attacking 3, we have Origi, Benteke and Sturridge. I'd say Benteke is gone, leaving us with Origi and half a season's worth of Sturridge if we are lucky. If Ings comes back from injury ok, we're probably fine, but if not you have serious injury question marks over 2 of the 3. Even if Ings comes back ok, it'll be months before he is fully up to speed again.

Markovic has a lot to prove.

I still think we'll look at attacking options

Yep. I just can't see how Klopp will look at finishing something like 7th, have ambitions of winning the league in 4 years time, and not want to overhaul a bit in the summer. A lot of the suggestions are that he'd be happy with the first team and look to bring in youth and backups. I don't buy it. He wants his team and I reckon this time next year we're watching a Liverpool first team with 5 players who aren't at the club yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Have a feeling we'll be looking to shift all 3 of Sturridge, Balotelli and Benteke leaving us with Ings, Firmino, Origi and at least 1 new signing that will be more of a big signing than the young protege-type you suggest.

I just think that Klopp will be looking at more first team changes than people think and some of the bigger names like Sturridge and Henderson might not be part of the plan, with Coutinho possibly not staying either

Whatever about Henderson, there's no way we'd let Coutinho go. He's the equivalent of Götze in Klopp's Dortmund except doesn't have an ego & is on relatively low wages for what he gives. Plus he's a fan favourite. I think even Klopp would struggle to win back some fans if he got rid of him.

I'd like to keep hold of Sturridge for another season, if he's injured a lot next year than get rid.

I'd also be quite surprised if we didn't get Götze if Klopp wants him. He's cheap enough, wants to leave Bayern and I doubt Real and Barca want him. City won't want him with Pep and Arsenal don't need him really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Yep. I just can't see how Klopp will look at finishing something like 7th, have ambitions of winning the league in 4 years time, and not want to overhaul a bit in the summer. A lot of the suggestions are that he'd be happy with the first team and look to bring in youth and backups. I don't buy it. He wants his team and I reckon this time next year we're watching a Liverpool first team with 5 players who aren't at the club yet

We should be actively buying players who are better than the current ones.

This way the new players are starters and the current ones would be adequate backup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

I only think Sturridge will go if a stupid offer comes in for him. Anymore on the 45 mill from PSG?

Milan and Balotelli have started the "lets fleece Liverpool with another Italian deal".

Milan "We don't want Balotelli"
    Balotelli "I don't want Liverpool. I want Milan, they have money for me"
    Milan "No we don't. You don't want Liverpool, they don't want you but if they were willing to loan you to us again and still pay your wages, alright, you can stay".
    Balotelli "Ok, what else do I need to say in the papers to make this happen?"

Benteke will go down the road of Balotelli. I can only see a loan deal happening towards the end of the transfer window as no CL team needs a Benteke type of player.

If Southampton lose Mane, then possibly a move there?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I know there has been alot of talk about Gotze, but is he really that good? I haven't seen enough of him to be a judge and the impression I get there is more hype about him rather than ability.

We should never let Sturridge go. Ever. Even if we get half a seaon out of him. I hope those days are behind him, he changed the dynamic in the final third of the pitch in a positive attacking sense that not many others could do.

Selling Sturridge is madness, when I look at performances like yesterday, he is just pure class. He has barely played in 2 years he is just regaining his sharpness, I'm still hopeful his fitness can be managed and he can contribute for another few seasons. He no longer looks like the main man to turn to for goals which is good for him as he doesn't need to be rushed back after injuries like under Rodgers.

I think bringing in someone like that lad Moussa Dembele at Fulham to add to the existing strike force would be good.

Selling Sturridge is madness, when I look at performances like yesterday, he is just pure class. He has barely played in 2 years he is just regaining his sharpness, I'm still hopeful his fitness can be managed and he can contribute for another few seasons. He no longer looks like the main man to turn to for goals which is good for him as he doesn't need to be rushed back after injuries like under Rodgers.

I think bringing in someone like that lad Moussa Dembele at Fulham to add to the existing strike force would be good.

He could be expensive. Lots of interest in him and with the new money coming in even Championship players will be way over priced

If Sturridge continues to pick up his work rate and sharpness then he'll not be sold for any money. As frustrated as I've been with his God, injuries and looking after himself there is no doubt that if he plays he increases the sides chances of winning a given game by about 50% on his own.

I also find the idea of Coutinho being moved on highly unlikely, sure he is wasteful at times and can be caught cold if not starting every game but he quality hardly something Liverpool can afford to pass on.

• Advertisement

It's actually hard to say what to do with the squad. With the run ins of all teams we have an outside chance of finishing fifth.

We've won 4 of our last 6 league games and really should not have thrown away the two goal lead at Southampton.

We're in the semi-final of a European competition.

We reached the final of a domestic cup.

We have the likes of Kevin Stewart, Ojo coming through pushing for first team places.

Gomez is due to come back and with Brad Smith we have two back ups for left back position. Moreno could be upgraded.

Happy with Clyne and Flannagan for right back with Randall being an adequate 3rd choice.

In midfield we have Can. Allen has proved he's worth a new contract. I think Lucas will finally go this transfer window. Henderson is the only other midfielder that could be sold. Milner could go if he can't be guaranteed first team football. I forgot we signed Marko Grujic already for midfield.

Lovren and Sahko are starting to form a good CB partnership and we have Matip coming in. Gomez is also a CB. I think Skrtel and Toure are gone in the summer.

Couthino - Keep, Firmino - Keep, I think Lallana will be kept for 1 more season. Markovic could come back and be given a go. Ojo and Ibe are there for back up.

If Sturridge continues to pick up his work rate and sharpness then he'll not be sold for any money. As frustrated as I've been with his God, injuries and looking after himself there is no doubt that if he plays he increases the sides chances of winning a given game by about 50% on his own.

I also find the idea of Coutinho being moved on highly unlikely, sure he is wasteful at times and can be caught cold if not starting every game but he quality hardly something Liverpool can afford to pass on.

:eek: Who said they think he would be moved on? The lad is a genius footballer.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

We won't look to sell Coutinho, and I would be very surprised if Barca/Real/Bayern want him, and we wouldn't sell to another English team if any of them wanted him. On the next level of continental clubs, I can't see Juve/PSG/Atletico wanting him either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

Selling Sturridge was always a nonsense argument to me anyways, if he's fit for half a season he's worth the hassle imo. What we need to do is add a Sturridge level player sans injury of course, a higuian to list a name of the top of my head.

I wouldn't be banking on ings either, for all we know he could return half the player he left given the injury he has had. Likewise origi could easily lose his shooting boots for a few weeks at any time. Sturridge and a new striker of same quality, origi and ings going into the season would be good considering klopp likes a sole striker starting, origi and ings can do jobs out wide also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

dogbert27 wrote: »
    no CL team needs a Benteke type of player.

If Southampton lose Mane, then possibly a move there?

Benteke would be a logical replacement for Mane? In what way?

• Advertisement

I also find the idea of Coutinho being moved on highly unlikely, sure he is wasteful at times and can be caught cold if not starting every game but his quality hardly something Liverpool can afford to pass on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

dogbert27 wrote: »
    It's actually hard to say what to do with the squad. With the run ins of all teams we have an outside chance of finishing fifth.

We've won 4 of our last 6 league games and really should not have thrown away the two goal lead at Southampton.

We're in the semi-final of a European competition.

We reached the final of a domestic cup.

We have the likes of Kevin Stewart, Ojo coming through pushing for first team places.

Gomez is due to come back and with Brad Smith we have two back ups for left back position. Moreno could be upgraded.

Happy with Clyne and Flannagan for right back with Randall being an adequate 3rd choice.

In midfield we have Can. Allen has proved he's worth a new contract. I think Lucas will finally go this transfer window. Henderson is the only other midfielder that could be sold. Milner could go if he can't be guaranteed first team football. I forgot we signed Marko Grujic already for midfield.

Lovren and Sahko are starting to form a good CB partnership and we have Matip coming in. Gomez is also a CB. I think Skrtel and Toure are gone in the summer.

Couthino - Keep, Firmino - Keep, I think Lallana will be kept for 1 more season. Markovic could come back and be given a go. Ojo and Ibe are there for back up.

Hard to disagree with any of this. I do think we need a big commanding GK with Ming dropping to #2 and Ward as the up and coming understudy to press Ming for cup games etc. If after a year Ming doesn't fancy the #2 role let him off on good terms. Butland or Forster for me please.

I'm less worried about signing a top class CF. With Origi emerging, Sturridge regaining fitness, Firmino starting his 2nd season and Ings to come back I think we've a good roster of forwards given the style Klopp wants to play.

It's going to be an exciting season next year.

I in no way meant that I thought we'd "move him on", I am suggesting that he might want to move for CL football. Could see it happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

I in no way meant that I thought we'd "move him on", I am suggesting that he might want to move for CL football. Could see it happening.

Sure he will get Cl next season with LFC after we win the Europa

It's really hard to believe we are 3 games from a CL spot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Speaking of the EL, I see we got another charge from UEFA over **** letting off flares during the Dortmund game despite the club asking them not to. Wonder if the same people were complaining when the club weren't listening over the flags and ticket issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Ciano35

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Speaking of the EL, I see we got another charge from UEFA over **** letting off flares during the Dortmund game despite the club asking them not to. Wonder if the same people were complaining when the club weren't listening over the flags and ticket issues.

What kind of punishment do clubs generally get when they are found guilty of these things?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Ciano35 wrote: »
    What kind of punishment do clubs generally get when they are found guilty of these things?

Celtic got hit with a €13k fine back in February for letting off flares at Fenerbahce.

It's the earsplitting sanctimony from certain quarters that'll be the real punishment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

I hope we break the bank for Butland in the Summer. Don't give a shíte what other signings we make tbh as long as we replace Mig with a top goalie. Anything after that is a bonus imo.

These 2 stats surprised me:

If Firmino manages to stay fit, because Danny certainly won't, a front 3 with Divock and Coutinho could be lethal next season.

Sturridge has a goal or assist every 93 minutes.*

* Health Warning (It's Sturridge), It's a small sample size! 640 minutes or something!

On a brighter note, that's the first time Sturridge has played 4 90 minute PL in God knows how long.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement