Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 15/16

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Grayditch wrote: »
    Things Arsenal fans like -

1. Having a moan.
    2. ?

I don't know what their problem is with us, I think they're bang out of order.

Anyway lads, I can't stop to chat. I have to head over to the 'Which top level player has had biggest dip in form over last season or two?' thread to nominate Mezut Ozil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Its a tough one. FSG are ok don't forget they wanted to raise ticket prices. We have a decent budget but we can't compete for the very best players .

https://twitter.com/LFCTransferNRS/status/722335760129466368

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

ush wrote: »
    Please let that Arab story be true. Nothing against the current owners. I'd just love it if we left Utd behind with their American sports franchise owners.

But if every club has rich Arab or Russian owners/investors (and there must be what, at least 20 around Europe now) the only effect will be to make the same players more expensive. And imagine if they did to the Liverpool jersey what they did with Man. City's and turned it into the basis for a global franchise-that would be the beginning of the end of what makes the club special:

nf140710000_primary_none.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I think the story is cobblers and I'm old fashioned enough not to be comfortable with oil fuelled Sheiks who's state treats human rights as an annoyance and uses flogging as punishment for adultery and murders homosexuals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

I think the story is cobblers and I'm old fashioned enough not to be comfortable with oil fuelled Sheiks who's state treats human rights as an annoyance and uses flogging as punishment for adultery and murders homosexuals.

Phew, glad I'm not the only one.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I'm not a fan of the cash injection from a billionaire, a few years ago I would have welcomed it. But seeing how the club has grown in recent years by doing things right is far more satisfying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Having a billionaire owner would be great, but is kind of like playing a game on cheat mode.

Yeah you might win a lot of stuff, it'll just feel a bit hollow though. We are building well at the moment, I'd rather see us continue like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

sabat wrote: »
    But if every club has rich Arab or Russian owners/investors (and there must be what, at least 20 around Europe now) the only effect will be to make the same players more expensive. And imagine if they did to the Liverpool jersey what they did with Man. City's and turned it into the basis for a global franchise-that would be the beginning of the end of what makes the club special:

nf140710000_primary_none.jpeg

I dont get the jersey reference? Thats new york Citys jersey. If a billionaire owner came into liverpool and bought a few other new clubs around the world too and modeled them similarly but not identical on the liverpool jersey what would be the problem?

POKERKING wrote: »
    I dont get the jersey reference? Thats new york Citys jersey. If a billionaire owner came into liverpool and bought a few other new clubs around the world too and modeled them similarly but not identical on the liverpool jersey what would be the problem?

Because LFC is not McDonald's?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,053 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

corwill wrote: »
    Because LFC is not McDonald's?

Someone would want to tell Enrique...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I wouldn't imagine it would go down well with the leftish element of the club either, but not for any of the above reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

In fairness we do Have American owners who'll monetize the new stadium like Stanley Park, we've so many sponsorship deals and there isn't much left wing protest about it. I suppose that's realism really though.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

I wouldn't imagine it would go down well with the leftish element of the club either, but not for any of the above reasons.

I do love the irony of "leftish" supporters paying big money to watch millionaire footballers every week. I'd really like to understand how such an elitist hobby squares with their desire to re-distribute their footballing idols wealth amongst the proletariat. Can you imagine the conversation one of the leftie supporters would have with Stevie G. "Hey Stevie, I've always been a huge fan and watched you from the Kop for over 15 years. You've always been a huge hero of mine. Given you are one of us and all would you mind distributing your $60m net worth (http://richestcelebrities.org/richest-athletes/steven-gerrard-net-worth) amongst the rest of us?". :o

Body Corporates respecting the Liverpool Way, United or whoever else is just as cringe worthy tbh.

Bit like FSG's sorry letter over the tickets, no you aren't sorry about the ticket prices, you are sorry you under estimated how big a deal it would become, otherwise you'd have listened to the fan groups originally.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    In fairness we do Have American owners who'll monetize the new stadium like Stanley Park, we've so many sponsorship deals and there isn't much left wing protest about it. I suppose that's realism really though.

True, that ship has sailed as we're own by someone who started out by hedging crops!

K-9 wrote: »
    Body Corporates respecting the Liverpool Way, United or whoever else is just as cringe worthy tbh.

Bit like FSG's sorry letter over the tickets, no you aren't sorry about the ticket prices, you are sorry you under estimated how big a deal it would become, otherwise you'd have listened to the fan groups originally.

100%

In any market if you over price the product/service you sell you'll eventually reach a point where your customers react negatively and either take their business elsewhere or simply do without. FSG reached that point with the proposed ticket pricing scheme for next year and had the commercial cop on to read the situation and get out in front of it ASAP thus restoring equilibrium.

They now know how elastic ticket pricing is so they'll leave that well alone and focus on maximising revenue from every other source and rightly so.

What do people think will happen to Steven Caulker at the end of the season? He was brought in as emergency cover at CB, played as an emergency CF towards the end of a few games and IIRC got a couple of run outs at CB in the early round of the cups but hasn't been heard of since.

At 24 is he a write off or someone Klopp can keep in the squad and turn into a #4 or #5 CB assuming Matip, Lovren, Sakho and Gomez are the top 4 CB's in the club come the start of next season?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

What do people think will happen to Steven Caulker at the end of the season? He was brought in as emergency cover at CB, played as an emergency CF towards the end of a few games and IIRC got a couple of run outs at CB in the early round of the cups but hasn't been heard of since.

At 24 is he a write off or someone Klopp can keep in the squad and turn into a #4 or #5 CB assuming Matip, Lovren, Sakho and Gomez are the top 4 CB's in the club come the start of next season?

He'll be back at QPR, 100%.

If he can't even make the bench when we're playing Lucas at CB against Bournemouth, what hope could he possibly have?

Also, for the player himself, starting the season as 5th choice CB behind Gomez would be pretty bad. There are several PL and championship sides he could play a role for rather than disappearing off the face of earth by staying at Liverpool.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Did Caulker get injured? I thought that he picked up an injury after he got his couple of appearances.
    He won't be here next year I'd imagine, he was brought in to ease a defensive crisis we were having, that is over now.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

POKERKING wrote: »
    If a billionaire owner came into liverpool and bought a few other new clubs around the world too and modeled them similarly but not identical on the liverpool jersey what would be the problem?

I'm picturing The Fort Lauderdale Reds running onto the pitch at the New Anfield Taco Bell Arena while Kid Rock sings YNWA.

100%

In any market if you over price the product/service you sell you'll eventually reach a point where your customers react negatively and either take their business elsewhere or simply do without. FSG reached that point with the proposed ticket pricing scheme for next year and had the commercial cop on to read the situation and get out in front of it ASAP thus restoring equilibrium.

They now know how elastic ticket pricing is so they'll leave that well alone and focus on maximising revenue from every other source and rightly so.

Some good came of it and it was many in the Kop, who really had no financial interest in the ticket prices who organised it, good to see.

The cap on away day tickets came out of it so it needed some set of fans to stand up, and no better bunch than Liverpool ones to do it.

The days of left wing ideals in football are long gone but they still have there uses, keep the money men in check.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/217224-melwood-fitness-latest-ahead-of-merseyside-derby-origi-fit-to-face-everton

Jürgen Klopp today confirmed Divock Origi will be fit for Liverpool's Merseyside derby clash with Everton on Wednesday, despite picking up a back injury against Bournemouth at the weekend.

The striker was introduced as a 75th minute substitute for Roberto Firmino at the Vitality Stadium on Sunday, but reported an issue following the conclusion of the Reds’ 2-1 win.

As a result, Origi was left out of training on Monday as a precautionary measure, but resumed normal preparations today.

Elsewhere, within the defensive ranks, the problem Kolo Toure sustained against Bournemouth has been confirmed as cramp, but Martin Skrtel has a groin injury.

“In the game against Bournemouth, I think - and what I have heard so far is - it was cramp with Kolo," Klopp told journalists at Melwood.

“Divock was only a little bit [of a problem] with the back – maybe from sitting on the bench! It was not a real issue.

“He felt it a little bit in the game and so we left him out of training yesterday but that was only not to take a risk. So that is OK.

“Before the [Bournemouth] game, Martin Skrtel had a little groin problem but with all the other things [players], there’s nothing new.”

gafferino wrote: »
    http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/217224-melwood-fitness-latest-ahead-of-merseyside-derby-origi-fit-to-face-everton

Jürgen Klopp today confirmed Divock Origi will be fit for Liverpool's Merseyside derby clash with Everton on Wednesday, despite picking up a back injury against Bournemouth at the weekend.

The striker was introduced as a 75th minute substitute for Roberto Firmino at the Vitality Stadium on Sunday, but reported an issue following the conclusion of the Reds’ 2-1 win.

As a result, Origi was left out of training on Monday as a precautionary measure, but resumed normal preparations today.

Elsewhere, within the defensive ranks, the problem Kolo Toure sustained against Bournemouth has been confirmed as cramp, but Martin Skrtel has a groin injury.

“In the game against Bournemouth, I think - and what I have heard so far is - it was cramp with Kolo," Klopp told journalists at Melwood.

“Divock was only a little bit [of a problem] with the back – maybe from sitting on the bench! It was not a real issue.

“He felt it a little bit in the game and so we left him out of training yesterday but that was only not to take a risk. So that is OK.

“Before the [Bournemouth] game, Martin Skrtel had a little groin problem but with all the other things [players], there’s nothing new.”
    Poor Martin, having the problem of a little groin can be embarrassing:)

So long as it keeps him out of the side until the end of the season.

Anyone fancy another Belgian striker?

http://www.google.ie/url?q=http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-target-michy-batshuayi-chase-7782891&sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwiu1JSz85rMAhWCCMAKHVckBYsQqQIIIDAB&sig2=43iVXXwgT6_pZRbur-dgvQ&usg=AFQjCNGvGp8medzRR1Eh5BhzG3EpSYFazg

Michy Batshuayi plays for Marseille and he is basically keeping them in Ligue 1 - 15 goals (plus 4 in Europe and one for Belgium) the next best are three midfielders with 5 each.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Poor Martin, having the problem of a little groin can be embarrassing:)

I wouldnt know

200.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

In any market if you over price the product/service you sell you'll eventually reach a point where your customers react negatively and either take their business elsewhere or simply do without.

Thats the dominant theory, for the moment. It'll eventually go the same way as historical materialism and the dinosaurs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Lads why was Moreno dropped at weekend and is he expected to play tomorrow night?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Lads why was Moreno dropped at weekend and is he expected to play tomorrow night?

A lot of the Dortmund heroes were rested...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Vicxas wrote: »
    A lot of the Dortmund heroes were rested...

I hope this catches on, imagine how much it'd annoy some people.

Turtyturd wrote: »

Arsenal fans, mostly ;)

• Advertisement

I assume the reason he rested so many was to put out a strong team tomorrow, so no Moreno then! Seriously, he'll probably start. Was great to see him score last week, he has been unlucky this season with hitting the woodwork!

ush wrote: »
    Thats the dominant theory, for the moment. It'll eventually go the same way as historical materialism and the dinosaurs.

Whats historical materialism when its at home? Edit Marx's theory, which he called "historical materialism" or the "materialist conception of history" is based on Hegel's claim that history occurs through a dialectic, or clash, of opposing forces. Hegel was a philosophical idealist who believed that we live in a world of appearances, and true reality is an ideal.

Nice light topic to discuss on a Tuesday afternoon in a football gossip and rumours thread. (I won't be derailing the thread after this post, I promise!!)

What has biological evolution over a 200m year period got to do with simple micro economics?

Are you suggesting that in millions of years time customers won't stop buying or take their business elsewhere when the vendor pushes the price beyond what they are prepared to pay? If so please do elaborate or write a paper and submit to http://www.kva.se/en/Prizes/Prize-in-Economic-Sciences

I loved the John LeCarre line I read recently: We brought down Communism, now we need to start on Capitalism!

Anyway...

Turns out dinosaurs were in decline for millions of years before the meteor hit.

Turns out dinosaurs were in decline for millions of years before the meteor hit.

You don't win anything with Jurassic's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Don't mind that meteor theory sh1te, the dinosaurs were hunted to extinction by Sakho's ancestors

Turtyturd wrote: »

Dortmund Invincibles, FTW : pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

Grayditch wrote: »
    Things Arsenal fans like -

1. Having a moan.
    2. Wenger out, innit

fixed that i think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Yeah 9 rested and Moreno dropped :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

Off to my first ever game tomorrow lads, not a bad first one I suppose.! Have been wanting to go to a game since I was in primary school but never could for varying reasons, heres hoping its a good one.

klose wrote: »
    Off to my first ever game tomorrow lads, not a bad first one I suppose.! Have been wanting to go to a game since I was in primary school but never could for varying reasons, heres hoping its a good one.
    You'll enjoy it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

ive been protesting the awfully high prices and have never went.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,501 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Vicxas wrote: »
    Arsenal fans, mostly ;)

I hear they've got a new club motto to plaster across their badge from next season onwards, they've taken inspiration from the bible:

"And when he thus had spoken, he cried with a loud voice, Arsenal, come fourth."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

I'll be in Sligo town tomorrow night, any decent pubs showing the game? I'll be with a Manc supporting work colleague so he'll probably want to watch their game too. Any suggestions?

fyfe79 wrote: »
    I'll be in Sligo town tomorrow night, any decent pubs showing the game? I'll be with a Manc supporting work colleague so he'll probably want to watch their game too. Any suggestions?

I suggest finding new friends.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

The Belfry is a good spot for watching football. Big screen upstairs and plenty of other smaller tv's as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

corwill wrote: »
    I suggest finding new friends.

Never said he was a friend ;)

Need to attend the IT for a couple of days with 2 other lads from work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

He'll have to watch the pool game as that other ****e isn't on telly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭tinpib

5starpool wrote: »
    The Belfry is a good spot for watching football. Big screen upstairs and plenty of other smaller tv's as well.

Ya, the Belfry is where the United supporters club meet, so through the wonders of the technological age they will probably be showing that there on at least one telly.

But it's a good spot for the game.

It's close to the river and about 2 minutes walk away is Fiddlers[Fiddlers Creek]

Between The Belfry and Fiddlers is Kennedys which is a nice pub which show games but I'm not joking ya but approximately 6 positions in the bar have sightlines tot he telly, out side of those seats it's difficult!

Connollys is a legendary Sligo pub which has a new guy running it and has breathed new life into it. it's about another 3 minute walk from Fiddlers.

edit: Decent pub grub in Belfry aswell. That's where I'd go anyway, especially since you have United supporter with you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement