Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 15/16

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

By jaysus we're in awful form here today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Pre-game tension and couple of posters who seem to be very narky these days for some reason.

Sergi Canos who won the Brentford goal of the month gong today is starting tonight and its on the telly.

Also Herbie Kane has signed first professional contract today and all Liverpool U21 games will be played at Prenton Park from now on. Good news for both parties I think, a proper stadium environment and some money for a hard pressed club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Pre-game tension and couple of posters who seem to be very narky these days for some reason.

Fuck off. I'm not narky.

*slams thread's door*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

*looks up from newspaper and hurmphs*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

Also Herbie Kane has signed first professional contract today and all Liverpool U21 games will be played at Prenton Park from now on. Good news for both parties I think, a proper stadium environment and some money for a hard pressed club.
    Is he one of your own?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

martyos121 wrote: »
    Yeah should definitely be closed based on that explanation. Ah sure that's neither here nor there though.

"The List" should absolutely be stickied though, majestic it is.

what list?
    Knex. wrote: »
    Fuck off. I'm not narky.

*slams thread's door*

Door is no use anyway. Bornetobywilde will be in through the cat flap later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Canadel wrote: »
    Is he one of your own?

Surely the worst song ever heard in a football ground. Every time I hear it I start laughing. It's ridiculous.

If they were singing it ironically it'd be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Any depth to the Shane Long rumour?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

sup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Was thinking Shane Long wouldn't be a bad signing but then I read he was nearly 29 and also remembered we have Danny Ings, wouldn't be worthwhile IMO.

• Advertisement

Was thinking Shane Long wouldn't be a bad signing but then I read he was nearly 29 and also remembered we have Danny Ings, wouldn't be worthwhile IMO.

Would make sense short term, but then next year we'd have a surplus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Shane Long is not good enough and if he wasn't Irish everyone would be spitting feathers at the suggestion we signed him

He has scored 33 Premier league goals in about 5 and a half season. I know he had injury problems (we have enough injured strikers aswell) but his most is 8 in premier league season.

He is 29 years old and last season he scored 5 bloody goals in 30+ appearances

No thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

Shane Long would just be another sideways step for the club, if Sturridge can't be relied upon long term we need someone to lead the team. We have enough back-up strikers, and if it's just like Caulkers signing to get bodies in, I'd prefer to see Sinclair or Ojo given a chance first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,652 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

mav79 wrote: »
    Shane Long would just be another sideways step for the club, if Sturridge can't be relied upon long term we need someone to lead the team. We have enough back-up strikers, and if it's just like Caulkers signing to get bodies in, I'd prefer to see Sinclair or Ojo given a chance first.

He'd do as well as keane did , ie not much and he'd be better of staying at Southampton for his own career and irelands euros

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

What is latest on Sturridge
    Is he ready for Man United
    Will he make bench on SUnday

Let me paraphrase Juergen Klopp:

No and no.

Dead. RIP.

#godisgood

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Not unless he's taken up bench making in his eh 'downtime'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Dead. RIP.

#godisgood

With our luck he'll rise again on Monday.

• Advertisement

Turtyturd wrote: »
    With our luck he'll rise again on Monday.

We better stop talking about it or we'll upset someone and no one wants that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So to Benteke or not to Benteke on Sunday.

I think use him as plan C off the bench and I'd use Caulker as plan B myself.

I'd also start Pirlo before Cruyff turn.

So to Benteke or not to Benteke on Sunday.

I think use him as plan C off the bench and I'd use Caulker as plan B myself.

I'd also start Pirlo before Cruyff turn.

No to Benteke and yes to Pirlo.

Cruyff turn can **** right off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

https://youtu.be/C1QYrVjDPnA

Didn't see this posted yet, but it's class. 360 video of Anfield in full voice

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

We're actually 2nd bottom in that table. He also has previous form for firing us towards the top of the table with goals.

He is only as good as his last injury. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Poor Benteke
    Seems every time he plays or comes off the bench he makes the difference. He still
    gets so much stick. He is great at linking up play and great assist for Allens goal.
    I'd still start Firmino though, but I would not give any stick to Benteke just because he is being Benteke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

We better stop talking about it or we'll upset someone and no one wants that.

frabz-LEAVE-DANIEL-ALONE-17d105.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

We're actually 2nd bottom in that table. He also has previous form for firing us towards the top of the table with goals.

You're taking the Sturridge jokes too seriously, i feel. All we can do is laugh at this stage. Nobody is doubting is ability, but he's not worth his wages.

I think we'll likely see the same starting 11 on Sunday that played against Arsenal, Ibe might well thrive on the bit of confidence from starting two big games in a row.

If Firmino is having no joy in 1st half (it's usually evident fairly early in a game) bring on Benteke for Lallana and drop Firmino back to #10ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Augeo wrote: »
    I think we'll likely see the same starting 11 on Sunday that played against Arsenal, Ibe might well thrive on the bit of confidence from starting two big games in a row.

If Firmino is having no joy in 1st half (it's usually evident fairly early in a game) bring on Benteke for Lallana and drop Firmino back to #10ish.

Wonder would he play Allen or Lucas to push Milner further forward as Ibe & Lallana were/are consistently poor

• Advertisement

5starpool wrote: »

He's regressing this year, clanger every 2nd game is almost expected now. His positioning for the corner midweek was an utter disgrace, it's a struggle to categorise that as a mistake. You have a right few seconds to get sorted for most corners.

Was really expecting him to get back to his best or even better when Rodgers left given he's not great with his feet or distribution so mandated playing out from the back didn't suit him, fair enough but he's in an awful spell again.

Was thinking last year that he must have some stuff going on in life that's getting the better of him but there's no signs of that. College educated, clean living, stable relationship, boring, straighlaced seeming sort of chap. Fingers crossed he strings 10/15 games clanger free together, or at least unpunished clangers.

Seems happy out in that interview which is good in a way, seems to be unaware almost that most fans are doubting him.

He's regressing this year, clanger every 2nd game is almost expected now. His positioning for the corner midweek was an utter disgrace, it's a struggle to categorise that as a mistake. You have a right few seconds to get sorted for most corners.

Was really expecting him to get back to his best or even better when Rodgers left given he's not great with his feet or distribution so mandated playing out from the back didn't suit him, fair enough but he's in an awful spell again.

Was thinking last year that he must have some stuff going on in life that's getting the better of him but there's no signs of that. College educated, clean living, stable relationship, boring, straighlaced seeming sort of chap. Fingers crossed he strings 10/15 games clanger free together, or at least unpunished clangers.

Seems happy out in that interview which is good in a way, seems to be unaware almost that most fans are doubting him.

Then he's deluded as well as being rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

College educated, clean living, stable relationship, boring, straighlaced seeming sort of chap.

Well there's yer problem.

All the best goalies are mentallers.

I'm nearly sure that having a keeper as accident prone as him in goal is making the rest of the defence more suspect. I am really sick of conceding soft goals, whether it is the defence or goalkeeper to blame. Some are obviously going to happen, but over the last 6 years they have just been stupidly regular, and I would be so happy to see us improve properly on that front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭Damien360

I'm nearly sure that having a keeper as accident prone as him in goal is making the rest of the defence more suspect. I am really sick of conceding soft goals, whether it is the defence or goalkeeper to blame. Some are obviously going to happen, but over the last 6 years they have just been stupidly regular, and I would be so happy to see us improve properly on that front.

It's difficult to blame one person. I would look at the defence as a unit lacking any confidence or direction. Migs could be hampered by poor central defence and vice versa. A CB that just hoofs the ball into space at every opportunity with one kick/head would help. Let the wing backs do the fancy ball playing. Old school stuff that worked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

corwill wrote: »

All the best goalies are mentallers.

Now that you mention Bruce, Monday week it will be 22yrs since he pulled on the gloves at Anfield. Time flys when you're... getting old :(

Damien360 wrote: »
    It's difficult to blame one person. I would look at the defence as a unit lacking any confidence or direction. Migs could be hampered by poor central defence and vice versa. A CB that just hoofs the ball into space at every opportunity with one kick/head would help. Let the wing backs do the fancy ball playing. Old school stuff that worked.

Certainly not exclusively his fault, but I believe he is contributing to the defence jitters as well as making his own mistakes as well.

Duiske wrote: »
    Now that you mention Bruce, Monday week it will be 22yrs since he pulled on the gloves at Anfield. Time flys when you're... getting old :(

81-94

35 years since he started. 22 since he ended. Old age does that to you :)

Certainly not exclusively his fault, but I believe he is contributing to the defence jitters as well as making his own mistakes as well.

Missing a leader in the box to just command players into doing their job. Set pieces is where everyone looks weak. That's when you need a defence leader. Open play, migs still seems ok but not sure what the stats say to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

We've the most defensive errors in the PL.

But you can't trust stats or something.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

K-9 wrote: »
    We've the most defensive errors in the PL.

But you can't trust stats or something.

Anyone got open play vs set piece defensive errors (I assume those are measured in goals) stats in relation to the other PL teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

81-94

35 years since he started. 22 since he ended. Old age does that to you :)

Meant last game :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Missing a leader in the box to just command players into doing their job. Set pieces is where everyone looks weak. That's when you need a defence leader. Open play, migs still seems ok but not sure what the stats say to that.

We haven't had a commanding keeper for a long while. Reina was a solid keeper but had his fair share of 'Mig Moments' and he wasn't commanding like your Cech's or Neuer's of this world.

Someone like Bernd Leno is badly needed imo. Why they're giving Mig a new contract I'll just never understand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Goal keeper at Liverpool is probably the hardest position to fill!

Seriously we've had some shocking keepers over the last 20 years But yet I dont think that they were actually all that bad.

David James.. Lets face it Jamo was a plonker.
    The American seemed bad but done alright elsewhere.
    Westerveld won a treble of cups but still is regarded as a failure.
    Dudek was our holy goalie and was massive in our 5th CL win.
    Pepe was very good but probably needed a coach like Benitez to keep him off the pies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Duiske wrote: »

Was talking to an Arsenal fan at work on Monday. We started talking about LFC AFC matches through the years. I mentioned Michael Thomas' last minute title winner at Anfield. He didn't have a clue what I was talking about. He was born the year after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Goal keeper at Liverpool is probably the hardest position to fill!

Seriously we've had some shocking keepers over the last 20 years But yet I dont think that they were actually all that bad.

David James.. Lets face it Jamo was a plonker.
    The American seemed bad but done alright elsewhere.
    Westerveld won a treble of cups but still is regarded as a failure.
    Dudek was our holy goalie and was massive in our 5th CL win.
    Pepe was very good but probably needed a coach like Benitez to keep him off the pies.

Other members of the Goalkeeper alumni include:

Pegguy Arphexad - Won six medals while playing 2 games in his entire Liverpool career
    Patrice Luzi - 1 game in 3 years
    Chris Kirkland - plagued by injuries, had the odd brainfart as well
    Scott Carson - wholly inconsistent. Looked good in some games, awkward in others
    Diego Cavalieri - Can't even remember him aside from a hefty defeat to Spurs in the League Cup... left and did well back home in Brazil
    Charles Itandje - remembered for one thing and one thing only
    Doni - God in gloves

Other names you could chuck in would be the emergency loan of Paul Jones (still boggles the mind) and the loan of one hit wonder Daniele Padelli who conceded 2 fairly soft goals vs Charlton and thankfully was sent back to Italy. Martin Hansen who has gone on to have a decent career in Holland since he left (scored a peach of a goal at the start of the season too) and also Peter Gulacsi, who has since moved to one of the Red Bull sides in Austria.

GK has been a bit of a poison chalice for players coming in, though you could most certainly argue we haven't exactly bought wisely in this position. Dudek and Reina are our most successful signings of the lot, and they both had their own issues with errors.

We most definitely need a strong, commanding GK to be signed in the next 6 months. Something we've lacked for X amount of years at this stage.

Or we could just simply get rid of Achterburg and bring back the coaching god that is Xavi Valero and hope Mignolet becomes somehow better...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Can't wait for tomorrow and seeing crazy Klopp in the flesh :). Just hope we turn up right from the get go and get in their faces.
    I'm sure anfield will be like a cauldron.
    I'm gonna go for 2-1 Liverpool :)

Oh btw here is the match day program for anyone wants a read of it

http://en.calameo.com/read/0044497151618a5170d2c?authid=h7gS2FO5YjsF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Glico Man wrote: »
    Other members of the Goalkeeper alumni include:

Pegguy Arphexad - Won six medals while playing 2 games in his entire Liverpool career
    Patrice Luzi - 1 game in 3 years
    Chris Kirkland - plagued by injuries, had the odd brainfart as well
    Scott Carson - wholly inconsistent. Looked good in some games, awkward in others
    Diego Cavalieri - Can't even remember him aside from a hefty defeat to Spurs in the League Cup... left and did well back home in Brazil
    Charles Itandje - remembered for one thing and one thing only
    Doni - God in gloves

Other names you could chuck in would be the emergency loan of Paul Jones (still boggles the mind) and the loan of one hit wonder Daniele Padelli who conceded 2 fairly soft goals vs Charlton and thankfully was sent back to Italy. Martin Hansen who has gone on to have a decent career in Holland since he left (scored a peach of a goal at the start of the season too) and also Peter Gulacsi, who has since moved to one of the Red Bull sides in Austria.

GK has been a bit of a poison chalice for players coming in, though you could most certainly argue we haven't exactly bought wisely in this position. Dudek and Reina are our most successful signings of the lot, and they both had their own issues with errors.

We most definitely need a strong, commanding GK to be signed in the next 6 months. Something we've lacked for X amount of years at this stage.

Or we could just simply get rid of Achterburg and bring back the coaching god that is Xavi Valero and hope Mignolet becomes somehow better...

Jones, hair like Adonis and the goalkeeping skills of a tin of sardines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Have we not sold Sturridge yet??? #redordead #justdead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

Glico Man wrote: »

Surely this has to be a huge factor, even Reina's poor form only started after Valero left.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement