Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 15/16

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭slingerz

Adebayor on a short term deal??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

slingerz wrote: »
    giphy.gif

I would love if the club while looking at targets take into account if the player can take a set piece. A huge part of the game, and we are toothless when we get a free or a corner. The opposition can be as cynical as they want because the chances of converting either are practically non-existent. We on the other hand are in serious trouble no matter where on the pitch we concede a free from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

mav79 wrote: »
    Surely this has to be a huge factor, even Reina's poor form only started after Valero left.

I am blue in the face calling for Acterberg's head. Reina's deterioration on his watch tells its own story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

I would love if the club while looking at targets take into account if the player can take a set piece. A huge part of the game, and we are toothless when we get a free or a corner. The opposition can be as cynical as they want because the chances of converting either are practically non-existent. We on the other hand are in serious trouble no matter where on the pitch we concede a free from.

Not a bad call, hendo,lallana,coutinho milner and moreno have all taken their fair share and they are all rubbish. Only player I saw have a good game of set pieces was teixeira in the first league cup game back in september?

Our ineptitude in both boxes needs to be sorely addressed, perhaps caulker could remedy this somewhat with his height and klopp alluding to his heading ability being one of the reasons he was brought in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

id take a decent reliable keeper at this stage,mig is decent but he's far from reliable,every corner i expect the opposition to get a decent chance if the ball comes near him, im sure the defence has jitters about it too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

Confident for tomorrow?

Under Klopp Liverpool have played really well against the top sides but struggled against mediocre sides. Must worry you all a bit for the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Just wondering Pool fans. What make ye of Klopp so far.

Everyone loving him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

gosplan wrote: »

Everyone loving him?

Yep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Yep

Bar kingshankley but he's a looney toon... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

slingerz wrote: »

Says it all about that guy!

https://twitter.com/FletchAndSav/status/688309047913627648

klose wrote: »
    Not a bad call, hendo,lallana,coutinho milner and moreno have all taken their fair share and they are all rubbish. Only player I saw have a good game of set pieces was teixeira in the first league cup game back in september?

Our ineptitude in both boxes needs to be sorely addressed, perhaps caulker could remedy this somewhat with his height and klopp alluding to his heading ability being one of the reasons he was brought in.

The way we deliver balls into the box is pathetic, aimless, slow, floated crosses that are easy to defend and near impossible to score from. An attacker has the ball dropping down on top of him, so not only is it easy to mark a stationary player but he has to generate all the power to head the ball goalwards and get his accuracy spot on to evade the keeper. I keep saying it but we get destroyed by teams whipping balls in between the keeper and defence and we can't manage it at the other end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

The way we deliver balls into the box is pathetic, aimless, slow, floated crosses that are easy to defend and near impossible to score from. An attacker has the ball dropping down on top of him, so not only is it easy to mark a stationary player but he has to generate all the power to head the ball goalwards and get his accuracy spot on to evade the keeper. I keep saying it but we get destroyed by teams whipping balls in between the keeper and defence and we can't manage it at the other end.

I think I've seen one proper cross delivered from wide men this season - Smith dropping that cross right onto Origi's head against Southampton.

Moreno is great at getting into position but his balls into the box are utter ****e.
    He just hits it vaguely in the right direction.
    If it makes it past the first defender (which it seldom does) it often has reasonable height and pace so if someone happens to be there it could be dangerous, but it hardly ever seems to be directed.

Clyne's delivery is even worse.

Ibe hardly ever even gets a cross in.

It was so refreshing to see Hendo on the case against Arsenal. He's about a million times better than the rest of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Charlie Austin signed for Southampton, do they reckon Long is going?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Vicxas wrote: »

He can go where he wants as long as it's not to us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Austin for £4m would of done us grand till the end of the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Vicxas wrote: »
    Pelle to Italy maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

rob316 wrote: »

I'd rather us stick with what we have until the end of the season, far to many 'not top 4' qualtiy players already in the squad.
    I don't expect us to make top 4 this year anyway and i'm fine with that, but there's an almighty clear out wanted in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

How did Southampton get Austin for 4m? I thought they were holding out for closer to 20m last summer, is his contract up this year or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Hendersons heel problems are over after the tissue causing problems tore.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/jordan-henderson-liverpool-fc-injury-10744365

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Unless Austin was going to shoot us to 4th, which is unlikely, there's no point.
    We have enough squad players/players who can do a job when called upon. Just lacking those 2/3 top players and badly in need of a leader.

A GK, DM & 1/2 Wingers needed in summer.
    Not Butland or schmeichel, they look impressive in teams with little possession but so did Mignolet. Go all out for Ter Stegen or Timo Horn. Butland is also not great with his feet.

I'd keep Benteke personally if we bring in wingers, say what you want, but he will score goals with service. They only way I'd be happy to see him go is if we bring in a top class forward.
    Shame that Ings got injured, got so much stick on here during the summer but I reckon he could've got 15 goals for us this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

Unless Austin was going to shoot us to 4th, which is unlikely, there's no point.
    We have enough squad players/players who can do a job when called upon. Just lacking those 2/3 top players and badly in need of a leader.

A GK, DM & 1/2 Wingers needed in summer.
    Not Butland or schmeichel, they look impressive in teams with little possession but so did Mignolet. Go all out for Ter Stegen or Timo Horn. Butland is also not great with his feet.

I'd keep Benteke personally if we bring in wingers, say what you want, but he will score goals with service. They only way I'd be happy to see him go is if we bring in a top class forward.
    Shame that Ings got injured, got so much stick on here during the summer but I reckon he could've got 15 goals for us this season.

It wasn't that he was getting stick and more the fact that he was underwhelming. Would probably have made a big difference to us this season had he stayed fit. He's a very underrated player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭delaney001

rob316 wrote: »

Saying this kind of annoys me. For him to be seen as a success he'd need to IMO get about 6/7 goals for the rest of this year. He's prob a 1 in 3 striker at best. This means in average he's going to need to get nearly 1800/1900 minutes to get those goals. Averaging out the rest of the season I'd say we have about 25/28 games left. Meaning he's going to need to play 75% of the season left and thus become our number 1 striker (as we play with 1 up top a lot).
    Are you genuinely saying you want our purchase of a striker, to lead the line, to be Charlie Austin at 4M? I think if Klopp announced that today he'd be lynched.

Edit: apparently he's a one in two striker. But I still look at a lot of these guys in the same way of Rickie last year. They score a lot of goals for their original club. They are then signed to a team where they are not the #1 striker and thus have to live off 'scraps' of minutes at the end of games. This is a much more difficult situation to shine in IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

delaney001 wrote: »
    Saying this kind of annoys me. For him to be seen as a success he'd need to IMO get about 6/7 goals for the rest of this year. He's prob a 1 in 3 striker at best. This means in average he's going to need to get nearly 1800/1900 minutes to get those goals. Averaging out the rest of the season I'd say we have about 25/28 games left. Meaning he's going to need to play 75% of the season left and thus become our number 1 striker (as we play with 1 up top a lot).
    Are you genuinely saying you want our purchase of a striker, to lead the line, to be Charlie Austin at 4M? I think if Klopp announced that today he'd be lynched.

He's better than 1 in 2 striker for QPR including his only EPL season. We brought in Ings and he's nowhere near that strike rate and is likely to cost double what Austin went for. I can see why people wouldn't mind a punt on him. Personally I'd rather play Firmino up top than buy in another limited striker though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

5starpool wrote: »
    I'm nearly sure that having a keeper as accident prone as him in goal is making the rest of the defence more suspect. I am really sick of conceding soft goals, whether it is the defence or goalkeeper to blame. Some are obviously going to happen, but over the last 6 years they have just been stupidly regular, and I would be so happy to see us improve properly on that front.
    Taking away any questions regarding the coaching setup and the lack of leaders in the defence, the main issue is his concentration levels.

He switches off during games, call it a brain fart, it's a lack of concentration. It leads to stupid goals conceded. If there was another keeper in the squad that was of sufficient quality to replace him, Mignolet would be forced to focus his concentration. We saw all this before at the club over 20 years ago.

David James - When he arrived at the club in 1992 he had to displace Grobbelaar, he was focussed on the job. His ambition was to become England's youngest first choice keeper, which meant displacing David Seaman in the international team. He displaced Grobbelaar but lost his place again when the old guy regained his form while on loan. After Grobbelaar left, James didn't have anybody to challenge him for his place in the team and his lack of concentration became an increasingly worse problem.

Stensgaard and Nielsen both came with reputations as great U-21 keepers destined to replace Schmeichel but never got a chance. Tony Warner wasn't good enough. In 94/95, Brad Friedel was identified as the player to challenge James and the club spent two years trying to get around a work permit issue. Friedel lacked confidence in himself and it affected his performances but he did displace James for a time.

Houllier became manager in November 1998. He was ruthless, before the end of the season he told James that his time was up. Friedel was made first choice for the last month or so of the season and told it was his chance to make the position his. One of the first signings in the summer transfer window was Sander Westerveld. When Westerveld was found to be weak, he was replaced by Dudek.

Benitez brought in Reina to challenge Dudek, who then decided to piss off to Madrid to sit on the bench.

Mignolet has never had a player of sufficient quality to challenge him at Liverpool. Reina was immediately shipped out, leaving Brad Jones and a young Danny Ward as his competition.

Adding a player to challenge him may not prove to be the solution. We still lack leadership and communication in front of him. Carragher retired before Mignolet joined so he has never had the benefit of playing behind a properly marshalled defensive line at Liverpool. Repeated bollickings from the likes of Carragher would keep him focussed on the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

We need a new GK. I'd be happy to never see him in goal for us again. That may be harsh, but he is a big problem. As a backup GK I'd have less of an issue with him, but I have no confidence in him at all as a starter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Another convincing win for Spurs. You'd be hard pressed to bet against them for getting top four. They've been very solid this year. I honestly thinking Leicester will slip over the next few months leaving 4th place up for grabs and there's no reason we can't beat Man U to 4th.

Also think we'll beat United handy this weekend.

No idea why I'm so uncharacteristically optimistic right now but there you go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

NukaCola wrote: »
    We need a new GK. I'd be happy to never see him in goal for us again. That may be harsh, but he is a big problem. As a backup GK I'd have less of an issue with him, but I have no confidence in him at all as a starter.

Jack Butland in the Summer in an exchange deal for Mig makes so much sense imo.

magma69 wrote: »

I'm still to be convinced by Butland, I know he is still very young, but for me there is this nagging doubt about how good he is. It seems like the media rave about him after a couple of good saves. Saying that I would not be pissed off if we replaced Mignolet with him. I defended Mignolet for a good while on here because every keeper makes mistakes, but Mignolet seems to be getting worse not better, I can't see him ever changing fans opinion of him at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Something about Jonjo Shelvey....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Another convincing win for Spurs. You'd be hard pressed to bet against them for getting top four. They've been very solid this year. I honestly thinking Leicester will slip over the next few months leaving 4th place up for grabs and there's no reason we can't beat Man U to 4th.

Also think we'll beat United handy this weekend.

No idea why I'm so uncharacteristically optimistic right now but there you go.

Im blaming you if it goes wrong.

--

I think City, Arsenal and Spurs are nailed on for the top 4. Fourth spot is there for the taking but it will take a remarkable transformation in our consistency to get there.

I had written off Leicester in the past and I can't bring myself to do it anymore. The goals dried up and they are still winning games. The defence seems to have finally clicked so it hasn't affected them yet that Vardy has stopped scoring. It might for sure, but in the same line of thought, Arsenal, Spurs or City could stop scoring too.

I agree with Danny Murphy re: LFC - we are running out of games to get there. If Im taking Spurs as nailed on, then we are 12 points off the team we need to catch - Leicester. Even if they drop the ball a bit, that's a hell of a points swing AND it presumes that none of United, West Ham, Palace and Stoke capitalise on it. Or at least to the extent that we do.

I don't want to be negative coming into the second half of the season, but there are so many factors to consider. For e.g., if we beat United tomorrow, this place will be buzzing. But who is to say the Arsenal/United games won't be followed by the same run that the City/Chelsea games were?

We have seen this team at its best, but we have also seen many of these players at their absolute worst far too often. If Klopp can get it right and we can get maximum points from games against the likes of Palace, Sunderland, Villa, etc then maybe I'll get a bit more excited!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Everton on the march towards 4th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

and-its-gone.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Well played.

Can you say that Utd will win tomorrow. You seem to have a gift ;)

• Advertisement

Ha! :D

Bugger :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

And its back i assume

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

Talisman wrote: »

Houllier became manager in November 1998. He was ruthless, before the end of the season he told James that his time was up. Friedel was made first choice for the last month or so of the season and told it was his chance to make the position his. One of the first signings in the summer transfer window was Sander Westerveld. When Westerveld was found to be weak, he was replaced by Dudek.

Benitez brought in Reina to challenge Dudek, who then decided to piss off to Madrid to sit on the bench.

If memory serves me right, we signed Dudek and Chris Kirkland around the same time when Houllier lost patience with Westerveld. Mignolet reminds me a lot of Westerveld, decent shot stopper but your nerves would be gone when we've to defend a set piece.

Well, ive egg on my face

Or not :D

gosplan wrote: »

Everyone loving him?

Couldn't fault him.

Henderson unavailable for much of Klopp's time here so far, Sturridge (most of it really against cup game v S'ton) & Ings (all of it) too. Milner, Sakho must have been out for at least of half Klopp's games.

He's doing good. Fully expect him to get Firmino firing as more of a striker than a #10 and that leaves only Coutinho & Lallana as #10 types.

If the backroom/fitness team & Sturridge can give Klopp Sturridge for half of the remaining league games I reckon we'll get 4th. I'm 20% hopeful of getting 4th with zero Sturridge input and I wouldn't (and didn't) have said that about Rodgers reign.

Defensive/keeper brain farts / poorness are persisting to handicap us but I reckon we'll see less of them going forward :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

BMJD wrote: »
    If memory serves me right, we signed Dudek and Chris Kirkland around the same time when Houllier lost patience with Westerveld. Mignolet reminds me a lot of Westerveld, decent shot stopper but your nerves would be gone when we've to defend a set piece.

Dudek and Kirkland were both signed on the same day and announced at the same time. Westerveld went from No.1 to No. 3 in an afternoon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Another 3-3 !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Jaysus just like Bournemouth, Davek will blow up.

Mad games, goals everywhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Well we can safely assume the games are running out for Chelsea to get 4th. Best result all round really, 11th draw for Everton I believe. Think Chelsea are too good to go down though.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

West Ham losing and ongoing Palace goal drought are both good news for Liverpool. Pity Soton won but Everton draw is okay. Need Villa to shock Leicester but that's probably asking too much.

In terms of saves per goal Mignolet is the worst goalkeeper in the league this season. Anybody including Bogdan and Guzman have better stats than him. I think that is the primary reason that Danny Ward has been recalled from loan.

Butland is one of the best in league in that department but he has poor distribution which is a concern because it means the outfield players would have to work more.

The two stand out keepers in the league that we could potentially sign are Fraser Forster (Southampton) and Adrian (West Ham). Their stats rival Cech, Courtois, De Gea, Hart and Lloris.

As I posted the other day, Forster is a risk until he proves to have fully recovered from his knee injury.

K-9 wrote: »
    Well we can safely assume the games are running out for Chelsea to get 4th. Best result all round really, 11th draw for Everton I believe. Think Chelsea are too good to go down though.
    Chelsea ran out of games to get fourth some time before Christmas. There are too many points for them to make up on too many teams.
    West Ham losing and ongoing Palace goal drought are both good news for Liverpool. Pity Soton won but Everton draw is okay. Need Villa to shock Leicester but that's probably asking too much.
    It doesn't really matter what the others do - if we lose to Man Utd tomorrow we may as well focus on the cups for the rest of the season.

We'll be only 8 points off of fourth with 16 games remaining but there are 5 teams between us and that fourth place.

It may as well be 7 teams when you factor in our terrible goal difference and the close proximity of both Southampton and Everton. Their positive goal difference is worth another point against us.

Can we make up 9 points on 7 teams in 16 games? I would say not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Tbh it's the point difference that matters, not the teams in between. Win a couple of games and you shoot up 3 or 4 places.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So The Rodgers & Kammy show tomorrow will any interesting banter happen I wonder with the game that happens to be on after it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement