Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 15/16

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Looks like Leicester will be almost impossible for us to pass as well, so it looks like Spurs or nothing really at this stage, which means we need to start winning soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Something about Jonjo Shelvey....

If only someone new how to use photoshop.

116733-L-LO.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Just saw The Ev threw away a lead to a 98 min, mile offside goal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Just saw The Ev lost to a 98 min, mile offside goal

Not quite "lost" but still funny. I watched the second half. Entertaining game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Haha jokes on me. Best get editing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

West Ham losing and ongoing Palace goal drought are both good news for Liverpool. Pity Soton won but Everton draw is okay. Need Villa to shock Leicester but that's probably asking too much.

Not a shock maybe but that'll do. Leicester are clearly starting to feel the pressure their goal scoring rate has collapsed since the Liverpool game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

It's hard to imagine us overhauling Spurs the way things are.

We've still got a while before we can reasonably expect a fit squad (even ignoring Gomez, Ings and Sturridge).

We'll probably need about 40/51 pts from the remaining 17 games. Not going to happen, really, except in that 1 in a million universe where Sturridge is fit for rest of the season and scores 20 goals.

I reckon 4th will be about 68 points this season, so it is very likely we can get that. We need to go on a run now very soon if we are going to look to do that. I don't think we are capable of winning 5 in a row now, but we need to do just that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Leicester need 24 out of 16 games to get that, that's no longer an outside chance any more.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Talisman wrote: »

We'll be only 8 points off of fourth with 16 games remaining but there are 5 teams between us and that fourth place............

Can we make up 9 points on 7 teams in 16 games? I would say not.

One of the huge factors here is that not all of the teams between us and 4th are 8 pts ahead of us :)

Augeo wrote: »
    One of the huge factors here is that not all of the teams between us and 4th are 8 pts ahead of us :)

Remember the day we won pre Christmas and went up 4 places.

If we went on a run, which we won't, the rest will sort itself out. What people are forgetting is it isn't just us that are inconsistent.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

If we lose tomorrow we are highly unlikely to get top 4. If we win we are just merely unlikely to get it. A draw and we are pretty unlikely. That's my official scale of likelyness anyhow.

Ideal scenario tomorrow would be to get an early goal, then after 10 mins get a penalty and they get a red card for de Gea and we go on to tonk them 5-0 and go ahead of them in the table. Might be a little pie in the sky though. I'd be delighted with any sort of a win of course, but it's nice to dream as well.

Personally I don't think we have a hope in hell of making top 4. Way too inconsistent. Should go all out to win a cup though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Personally I don't think we have a hope in hell of making top 4. Way too inconsistent. Should go all out to win a cup though.

Top 4 is kinda wrapped up by Spurs this year i feel.

I think Klopp needs to get his own team in place and have a good run at preseason before we can head for the top 4 again.

• Advertisement

5starpool wrote: »
    If we lose tomorrow we are highly unlikely to get top 4. If we win we are just merely unlikely to get it. A draw and we are pretty unlikely. That's my official scale of likelyness anyhow.

Ideal scenario tomorrow would be to get an early goal, then after 10 mins get a penalty and they get a red card for de Gea and we go on to tonk them 5-0 and go ahead of them in the table. Might be a little pie in the sky though. I'd be delighted with any sort of a win of course, but it's nice to dream as well.

Win tomorrow and we've a chance with Spurs yet to come to Anfield. But we know it'll still not matter! Would be nice to still have a chance in April anyway.

K-9 wrote: »
    If we went on a run, which we won't, the rest will sort itself out. What people are forgetting is it isn't just us that are inconsistent.

To be fair we went on one last year with an imo worst first 11 & squad. Sterling was the crown jewels and he was played as a striker for much of it :)

I'm hopeful of a run this season too :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Finish top 4 and I'll be ecstatic considering most of us just see this season as time for Klopp to get used to the club. We've also got a very good chance of a cup this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Lallana opens his big gob.

Been a while since he opened his cake hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Win the Europa League and we won't have to worry about finishing in the top 4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Win the Europa League and we won't have to worry about finishing in the top 4.

Forgot about that, I'm used to our European season being over by now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Tbh it's the point difference that matters, not the teams in between. Win a couple of games and you shoot up 3 or 4 places.
    We have had back-to-back wins in the league only three times this season. Winning a couple of games back-to-back means us having a serious run of good form.

Last 5 games: DDWLW : 1.6 PPG -> 61 Pts
    Last 5 league games : DLWWL : 1.4 PPG -> 54 Pts

Looking at the table from the it's only X points to fourth place is deceptive, 68-70 points is the target to occupy the fourth place spot after 38 league games.

The teams in between us and Tottenham aren't going to stand still. Their form also has to be taken into consideration.

Tottenham have been accumulating 1.77 PPG this season. If they maintain that form they will win about 28 points or finish with 67 points for the season. In the last 5 games they have accumulated 2.00 PPG which would give them a 71 points total for the season if they sustain that form.

As it stands, Liverpool need to accumulate 37 points (28 + 9) in the next 17 league games to reach the 68 points target (Tottenham +1). So 2.18 PPG is now required, over the course of a season that is 83 points. In context, 80 points were required to win the league last season and it's likely to be the same total this season. That's a serious jump in form from the 1.4 PPG (54 points) we're currently on and the 1.48 PPG (56 points) for this season.

Assuming Tottenham will win a further 28 points (1.77 PPG) and finish with 67 points, one of the chasing pack will have to put together championship contending form to overtake them and finish with 68 points.

West Ham = Tottenham + 5 : 2.07 PPG (79 Pts)
    Man Utd = Tottenham + 6 : 2.00 PPG (76 Pts)
    Stoke = Tottenham + 8 : 2.25 PPG (86 Pts)
    Palace = Tottenham + 9 : 2.32 PPG (89 Pts)
    Liverpool = Tottenham + 9 : 2.18 PPG (83 Pts)
    Southampton = Tottenham + 10 : 2.38 PPG (91 Pts)
    Everton = Tottenham + 11 : 2.44 PPG (93 Pts)

There are 3 possible outcomes tomorrow:

Liverpool win:
    Liverpool : 37 - 3 = 34 / 16 games -> 2.13 PPG (81 Pts)
    Man Utd : 34 - 0 = 34 / 16

Draw:
    Liverpool : 37 - 1 = 36 / 16 -> 2.25 PPG (86 Pts)
    Man Utd : 34 - 1 = 33 / 16 -> 2.06 PPG (79 Pts)

Man Utd win:
    Liverpool : 37 - 0 = 37 / 16 games -> 2.32 PPG (89 Pts)
    Man Utd : 34 - 3 = 31 / 16 -> 1.94 PPG (74 Pts)

A Liverpool win tomorrow means Man Utd also need championship winning form to have a realistic chance achieving fourth place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Lallana opens his big gob.

Been a while since he opened his cake hole.

Even that article has a link to a combined 11.

Vicxas wrote: »
    Top 4 is kinda wrapped up by Spurs this year i feel.

I think Klopp needs to get his own team in place and have a good run at preseason before we can head for the top 4 again.

Agreed.

Pity the match thread isn't open. Thought it might be opened tonight what with it being an early game. The last few match threads haven't been too bad anyway. Neither team have much to be bragging about this season.

I think the point is, I wouldn't be worrying about West Ham or Stoke too much, if we go on a run we'll finish ahead of them anyway.

Has anybody actually said we can definitely do it? A chance seems to be about as optimistic as we've got on the thread.

Sorry, 2 points per game wouldn't usually be title winning form, get you 3rd normally, so United don't need title winning form, just must better than so far obviously.

If we lose tomorrow the debate will start about concentrating on the Europa and the cups and leave 5th/6th to others to worry about.

I think the point is, I wouldn't be worrying about West Ham or Stoke too much, if we go on a run we'll finish ahead of them anyway.

Has anybody actually said we can definitely do it? A chance seems to be about as optimistic as we've got on the thread.

Not having a go at you but I keep hearing this. No signs that we can really. Injuries are killing us. If the players manage to put a couple of decent performances together then they're ****ed for the next game. Clyne and Moreno must be nearly ready to drop at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

What's the word on Hendo for tomorrow? Whatever burst in his heel, does it require more time to heal or is he good to go?

That 'tear' in Henderson's heel would almost seem like it was fabricated to counteract all the concern about his injury being permanent and having to be managed, if not for the long gap in between the announcements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Remember the day we won pre Christmas and went up 4 places.

Getting 5 wins from 6-7 games is easy enough I'd imagine about half the teams in the league do it at least once a season.

The problem is, after you do that and Spurs, for example, lose 3 and draw 1, can you then, over another sample of games with different injury problems, different levels of fixture congestion and, presumably most importantly, against different teams, continue to outstrip them?

Take Leiscester - they might get only 10 pts from the middle third of the season where they play us twice, City twice, Everton, Spurs, etc, and we then catch up to them, or near enough, but then they're back to playing **** teams, and Vardy's fit again or whatever. They're an anomaly and may actually collapse, but if we're going by form and the fixture list, temporary swings aren't much evidence of us finishing ahead of them.

At this point in the season, witout any major changes to personnel between teams, there's only so much that form can change.
    We've had so many injuries that that might constitute a major personnel change, but goals aren't something that are likely to make an appearance no matter what happens, so even with that issue resolving itself, it's really hard to imagine us drastically turning things around.

Sorry, 2 points per game wouldn't usually be title winning form, get you 3rd normally, so United don't need title winning form, just must better than so far obviously.

If we lose tomorrow the debate will start about concentrating on the Europa and the cups and leave 5th/6th to others to worry about.
    If Man Utd lose, they will need 34 points from their 16 remaining games.

34 / 16 = 2.125 PPG -> 38 x 2.125 = 81 Points

That would have won the league in three of the last five seasons.

2014/15 : #2 Man City : 78 Points
    2013/14 : #2 Liverpool : 84 Points
    2012/13 : #2 Man City : 78 Points
    2011/12 : #2 Man Utd : 89 Points
    2010/11 : #2 Chelsea : 71 Points

8 pts off 4th (with game in hand) and 17 games to go, no one would say we can definitely do it, you'd wan't to be an idiot to have that level confidence.

In saying that I'd be sure most Spurs fans don' think they are guaranteed Top4 either, all it takes is 2/3 poor results and the dream is dead :)

That would have won the league in three of the last five seasons..........

Grimly enough if we win we need the same to get Top4.

Top4 aside, if we finish above Utd in the PL this season it'll be the 2nd time in the last 3 seasons :) Would be good regarding perch etc.

Rafa Benitez:
    I am sure we can do it because I know we are better than the team you are seeing on the pitch, I can guarantee we will finish in the top four.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    That 'tear' in Henderson's heel would almost seem like it was fabricated to counteract all the concern about his injury being permanent and having to be managed, if not for the long gap in between the announcements.

I think I've got a similar problem in my left heel. Had it for a few months now. Haven't gone to the doctor but have all the symptoms. It's ****ing painful and I'm not looking forward to it tearing before it gets better.

Come 2nd 3 of the last 5 I assume you mean?

Come 2nd 3 of the last 5 I assume you mean?
    To win a team only needs to finish with a points total higher than the team in the #2 spot.

For example, Arsenal's Invincibles accumulated 90 points to win the league in 2003/4. Chelsea only managed 79 points, so in reality 80 points would have been enough for Arsenal to win the league trophy that season.

This season Arsenal, Leicester and Man City are on form for a 79/80 points finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

116733_L_LO.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Agreed. If we lose tomorrow, then that'll be 7 defeats already this season. We'd basically need to go the rest of the season unbeaten to get top 4 then.

• Advertisement

If they win 1.94 ppg will get them 4th,very doable especially over a 16 game stretch.

So really, tomorrow is a must win game! Seriously, it is, lose concentrate on the cups and let the rest worry about Europa qualification.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Big game for Henderson
    Needs to take someone out early
    Set the tone
    No need to go to ground
    Shoulder charge someone with extreme force
    Send them flying to the ground
    Can't get sent off for that

To win a team only needs to finish with a points total higher than the team in the #2 spot.

For example, Arsenal's Invincibles accumulated 90 points to win the league in 2003/4. Chelsea only managed 79 points, so in reality 80 points would have been enough for Arsenal to win the league trophy that season.

This season Arsenal, Leicester and Man City are on form for a 79/80 points finish.

My alternative table would suggest 77/78 will win the league so I'd say 68 or so will get 4th.

Arsenal lost 8 in 10/11 with 68 points.

Big game for Henderson
    Needs to take someone out early
    Set the tone
    No need to go to ground
    Shoulder charge someone with extreme force
    Send them flying to the ground
    Can't get sent off for that

Do it in the first minute. No one ever gets sent off in the first minute.

He'll get sent off in the first minute now,wont he? :(

My alternative table would suggest 77/78 will win the league so I'd say 68 or so will get 4th.

Arsenal lost 8 in 10/11 with 68 points.

Uh oh....Oranage will be in to tell you you're mental now. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Nothing on the telly tonight lads? :)

• Advertisement

Uh oh....Oranage will be in to tell you you're mental now. :D

The only thing about Spurs is they've a lot of draws. If they end up with 17 or 18 draws I'd have thought 4th would be tough.

Nothing on the telly tonight lads? :)

Basically we all agree we wont get 4th, but we're arguing about it anyway.

Reminds me of the Python argument sketch.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

We won't catch spurs they can attack and defend we can't really do either. Leicester is the only hope but I think we are too far back to catch them. Even if we do catch them there is also utd who are on a par with us and Everton who are better than both us and utd this season but haven't got the pts they have deserved. They have now played spurs city and Chelsea in this Rd of games and will now have a decent run in.

I think I've got a similar problem in my left heel. Had it for a few months now. Haven't gone to the doctor but have all the symptoms. It's ****ing painful and I'm not looking forward to it tearing before it gets better.

Wonder is it possible to tear your hip and both your legs to put an end to persistent injuries?

But you just know he'd f*ck up his arms.

Basically we all agree we wont get 4th, but we're arguing about it anyway.
    It gives us a psychological advantage when facing the trolls from other threads.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement