Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 15/16

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Time to concentrate fully on the Europa League I think.
    31 points from 22 games, 7 defeats and 7 draws already on the board - any chance at 4th place is done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,949 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

martyos121 wrote: »
    I think you've misinterpreted. It's disgusting that the league is over for us in January to the extent we can't even get top 4. And to make it worse, we don't even have Champions League football to make up for it, just it's uglier, adopted brother. Do you not find that a bit sad?

Wasn't having a go at anyone's post btw.

Why should we have champions league though. I'm not going to be sad about not being in a competition we don't deserve to be in right now. This season was a write-off once Rodgers was sacked, very hard for a manager to join mid-season and hit the ground running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

So Klopp hasn't had an immediate effect on results. The injuries and fixture list have been insane. I'm still fairly zen for now. It's turned out to be a rocky transition. I still think we'll be graaaaand next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

On the plus side the match thread will be left open long enough for Citytillidie to read now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

If we can't find a striker, or any other player for that matter, this month then I have no problem in waiting until the summer to buy. This season is over anyway, no point spending money in a panic to save a lost cause.

This season is a writeoff PL wise. Time to focus on the cup and europa league.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

We were the better side but it counts for nothing. We've lost 4 games in a row to Van Gaal's crap United side.

Shows how poor Liverpool really are doesn't it

Vicxas wrote: »

Exactly. Maybe if we limit his appearances to this competitions Sturridge might even do some work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

Well that was pathetic, for all our "chances" they were usually straight at De Gea or scuffed shots.
    Firmino is a very intelligent player, great at seeing where players are and where the space to play a pass is. I thought Sakho, Toure and Lucas all had very good games and even Milner did a good job. Can and Henderson were shattered in the second half and Klopp should have replaced one of them with Allen. Lallanna though, the guy is infuriating to watch for all his rushing around he slows everything down and crowds his own players. Himself and Ibe just don't look team players atm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

martyos121 wrote: »
    That is the saddest thing I've ever read on this website. It's just disgusting that its come to this.

If that's the case I'd honestly advise you not to go onto the departed pets thread on boards.I really don't think you'd be able to cope with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭LFC CONNAUGHTON

If we do sign a striker does anyone have any idea where Firmino will play? No point playing 2 no. 10s with Coutinho and I don't think either of them offer enough width to play out wide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Turtyturd wrote: »
    If only Henderson could shoot.

Gerrard would have scored his chances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Up next

Norwich A
    Leicester A
    Sunderland H
    Villa A
    Everton H
    Man City H

18 pts from 18 is likely
    Puts us back in race for 4th

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Turtyturd wrote: »
    On the plus side the match thread will be left open long enough for Citytillidie to read now.

I've only been on boards a decade or so, but I think you can read threads that have been locked as well. I think.

If we do sign a striker does anyone have any idea where Firmino will play? No point playing 2 no. 10s with Coutinho and I don't think either of them offer enough width to play out wide.

Firmino could play as a second striker with Coutinho in behind. Back to the diamond.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭Damien360

Ardent wrote: »
    Yet another game where Lucas switches off and it results in a goal. We need a shake up of the squad in the summer. Too many players not good enough.

I thought Lucas played well. Got stuck in. Milner and Henderson were poor throughout the game. Sacko and kolo had a great game. Set pieces are our weakness and have been for a few seasons. We bossed midfield but had nothing up front. De Gea had a great game and kept them in it. Sat with 2 Utd fans watching this and neither of them thought much of that Utd performance. Side show Bob was the centre of their hatred. Lucky to be still on the field.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

5starpool wrote: »
    I've only been on boards a decade or so, but I think you can read threads that have been locked as well. I think.

Stop jivin'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭tinpib

Vicxas wrote: »

Ya, I'm inclined to agree. 4th looks out of reach now and I would prefer to avoid the Europa League next year.

I think giving Klopp more time on the training ground with this squad a few more of his own players bought in, hopefully his first choice players, will be beneficial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Its commendable that Klopp wants to work with this group of players but at this stage I think he should see all he needs to. We need to add quality plain and simple.

I know people will be disappointed and may over react but we I thought we played very well, we were set up perfectly and United got very very lucky. We were blunt up top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Huge Sturridge shaped hole in that Liverpool team up front. With him and Coutinho in the side, Liverpool are probably 2-0 up before Rooney scores and United just have a consolation goal.

The lack of goals is putting a lot of pressure on the defence to be perfect.

Benteke is infuriating he really is. Ball launched up to him in the dying seconds and he's offside, ball put out wide for the cross and he's standing on the 18 yard line. So so poor I hope he gets shipped out.

• Advertisement

Any team from 5th to 9th can challenge for 4th with a run of wins.
    Not one of them look capable though.
    We have a chance if Sturridge returns with Coutinho and Skrtel.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Up next

Norwich A
    Leicester A
    Sunderland H
    Villa A
    Everton H
    Man City H

18 pts from 18 is likely

After today 18/18 is wildly optimistic. Beat Stoke in the semi is our next objective. 4th is gone

No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

I think it's fairly obvious we won't be going on a run at this stage.

3 cups left, let's see.

Up next

Norwich A
    Leicester A
    Sunderland H
    Villa A
    Everton H
    Man City H

18 pts from 18 is likely

Be less mental please. If we get 8/9 points it'll be about par for us this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Give benteke a proper run of 10 games up front and give him some proper service. Liverpool have a proven premier league goalscorer and won't play to his strengths, instead they flute around with lallana

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭Ardent

This is the thing. We don't look capable of putting a sequence of wins together, even if the teams above us were to slip.

At this stage now we really should not be making wholesale changes for the cup replay on Wednesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

The problem is the lack of natural finishers in the squad. All workhorses who will give their all for 90 minutes but apart from Sturridge there is no-one in the squad that has that natural ability to strike a football cleanly when under pressure.

tastyt wrote: »
    Give benteke a proper run of 10 games up front and give him some proper service. Liverpool have a proven premier league goalscorer and won't play to his strengths, instead they flute around with lallana

No thanks.

If the entire team needs to be readjusted just to get him a couple shots on target then it's not worth it. Whenever he does play we put in plenty of crosses, he's just nowhere to be seen.

He's not a team player, doesn't want to do any of the dirty work.

• Advertisement

Up next

Norwich A
    Leicester A
    Sunderland H
    Villa A
    Everton H
    Man City H

18 pts from 18 is likely

What?

Ardent wrote: »
    This is the thing. We don't look capable of putting a sequence of wins together, even if the teams above us were to slip.

The thing is they are slipping, no one takes advantage.
    Leicester some how went top again with one win since Xmas
    They also concede so many goals, but seem to be able to score 2 or 3 .
    We concede, we lose. Focus goes on defense? Should be on lack of goals.
    No one is knocking Leicesters defense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Augme

tbh I'll be disappointed if we don't gain 21 points from the next 6 matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Put your rod away Toby! You'll be able to feast for a week!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

ERG89 wrote: »
    After today 18/18 is wildly optimistic. Beat Stoke in the semi is our next objective. 4th is gone

Forget about forth. It's gone. It's not happening. 4th, the number 4, fourth, four and for should all be banned from the LFC thread for the rest of the season.

When you see us bringing Caulker on up front, a central defender, a loan signing who we stuffed 5 past a few weeks back you know your goose is cooked.

People on about signing a top striker, if we sign a striker it's going to be in the summer. He will not be top class as we won't have CL football. It will be bargain basement where we hope he will adapt to premier league quickly.

We need a keeper, a CB , possibly 2 wingers along with a striker. All these players aren't going to come in and change things over night for next year.
    Klopp is in a worst position now that when Kenny or Rodgers took over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

NukaCola wrote: »
    Benteke is infuriating he really is. Ball launched up to him in the dying seconds and he's offside, ball put out wide for the cross and he's standing on the 18 yard line. So so poor I hope he gets shipped out.

If we still have the the receipt for Benteke we should return him back to Villa. He's been a terrible signing, he doesn't suit our style and isnt capable of adapting to it

Grayditch wrote: »
    What?

I'm sure Klopp would agree.

Today's another Anfield disappointment. We've dropped points to West Ham, Crystal Palace, Man U, Southampton & West Brom this season. Of course that's gonna annoy you. But once again, it needs to be reiterated that patience is needed.

Look, the Man U fans are going to be happy today. They've beaten us today. But Klopp is our manager, Van Gaal is theirs. There's a bigger picture and a rosier future to look at. We're going to lose Premier League games at some stage or another, even to the lads from Salford. That's why you should always enjoy the victories when they arrive.

Klopp has only been in the job not even half a year and spent no money on transfers. There's a long positive road ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Less annoyed by this than I normally would be.

I suppose the fact that it's a rubberstamping of us not being good enough for top 4 rather than a truly meaningful loss in itself is probably why, even with the loss being more galling because Utd seem to get worse every time we play them.

As pathetic as it is to have the league finished in January, I hope it at least means we put everything into the cup games.
    The league is now offcially irrelevant to us. Hopefully the squad just enjoys the rest of the games as we were able to in Kenny and Rodgers' first seasons.

I guess we should be disappointed in Klopp but this season has been such a shambles that he was on a hiding to nothing.
    Cups will have to be where he shows what he's made of, and thus far he's made a good fist of that.

Nothing worth noting about the game really, nor the squad.
    We were still fairly good. We still can't score. We still need at least 20 league goals and a new goalkeeper.

• Advertisement

I'm struggling to not hear Ralph Wiggum's voice, reading certain posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Out of the next 6 games I can only see us beating Sunderland tbh.
    We are not getting 4th, we are not winning the Europa League or the fa cup,hell we probably won't even win the league cup, I'm just being realistic

shamrock55 wrote: »
    We are not getting 4th, we are not winning the Europa League or the fa cup,hell we probably won't even win the league cup, I'm just being realistic

Not realistic.....knee jerk negative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

tastyt wrote: »

Why should the entire team change to suit one player? Benteke is'nt that good i'm afraid, he scored in patches for villa at best.

You make a fair point about Lallans though, absolutely anonymous again today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

I'd honestly shift Benteke as soon as possible. When has a big target man who doesn't really move ever worked for the club.

Still think Klopp can finish the season with a trophy or two

Gbear wrote: »
    Less annoyed by this than I normally would be.

I suppose the fact that it's a rubberstamping of us not being good enough for top 4 rather than a truly meaningful loss in itself is probably why, even with the loss being more galling because Utd seem to get worse every time we play them.

As pathetic as it is to have the league finished in January, I hope it at least means we put everything into the cup games.
    The league is now offcially irrelevant to us. Hopefully the squad just enjoys the rest of the games as we were able to in Kenny and Rodgers' first seasons.

I guess we should be disappointed in Klopp but this season has been such a shambles that he was on a hiding to nothing.
    Cups will be have to be where he shows what he's made of, and thus far he's made a good fist of that.

Nothing worth noting about the game really, nor the squad.
    We were still fairly good. We still can't score. We still need at least 20 league goals and a new goalkeeper.

I agree. Let's just win trophies. For example, if Klopp was to win a trophy within the first six months of his appointment, that takes an awful lot of pressure off straight away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Why should the entire team change to suit one player? Benteke is'nt that good i'm afraid, he scored in patches for villa at best.

I suppose it's worth finding out whether he's worth persevering with conclusively before the summer.

Things can't get much worse and we're not going to get relegated, so we may as well see what he can do with some better, more deliberate service before we make a final decision on whether to give him the boot next summer.

We've **** all else to do during our league games so we may as well do that.
    It'd give us a chance to blood Ibe as well - he's close to being quite good. He's just taking too many touches and trying to get into too perfect a position when he should be getting more deliveries into the box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

Our player bonuses for goals and clean sheets must be not be very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

As I see it , 1 give him a run or 2 drop him full stop. He's not the type of guy who can come on for 10 minutes and change a game and we should expect or be surprised when he performs like he did today.

shamrock55 wrote: »

Fair enough, see ya next season so.

bur wrote: »
    Our player bonuses for goals and clean sheets must be not be very good.

Mingolet does alright with the clean sheet bonus ;)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement