Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 15/16

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

Tactically we were spot on, as we were better than them everywhere. It's a really poor United team though. But eveything that is wrong with our squad was on show. The anonymity of Lallana, lack of creativity in centre mid. No leadership. Milner being expected to control or pass the ball to a team-mate. A training stump in goal.
    We need signings to fix these problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Gbear wrote: »
    I suppose it's worth finding out whether he's worth persevering with conclusively before the summer.

Things can't get much worse and we're not going to get relegated, so we may as well see what he can do with some better, more deliberate service before we make a final decision on whether to give him the boot next summer.

We've **** all else to do during our league games so we may as well do that.
    It'd give us a chance to blood Ibe as well - he's close to being quite good. He's just taking too many touches and trying to get into too perfect a position when he should be getting more deliveries into the box.

I see your point but his positioning is so utterly sh1te, even if we did start pinging in crosses he probably still be standing on the edge of the box bemused at why noone is passing it to him!
    Also it's a brand of football i can't get excited about, it's only a short step away from the putrid stuff that lot threw at us today.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭koppy

How good do people think ibe can become. I can't see him making it big at all. Have never seen a game where he looked top class. I know he's young and learning but I don't see anything in him. Always loses the ball. Rarely assists or scores.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

koppy wrote: »
    How good do people think ibe can become. I can't see him making it big at all. Have never seen a game where he looked top class. I know he's young and learning but I don't see anything in him. Always loses the ball. Rarely assists or scores.

Only thing he did or didn't do was close down the cross before the goal. He's pretty good at dribbling straight into defenders. Him and Lallana sicken me tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

monkey9 wrote: »
    Today's another Anfield disappointment. We've dropped points to West Ham, Crystal Palace, Man U, Southampton & West Brom this season. Of course that's gonna annoy you. But once again, it needs to be reiterated that patience is needed.

Look, the Man U fans are going to be happy today. They've beaten us today. But Klopp is our manager, Van Gaal is theirs. There's a bigger picture and a rosier future to look at. We're going to lose Premier League games at some stage or another, even to the lads from Salford. That's why you should always enjoy the victories when they arrive.

Klopp has only been in the job not even half a year and spent no money on transfers. There's a long positive road ahead.

Of course we are disappointed today, we had more possession, played the better football, but did not create enough or finish the small opportunities er got, then got caught by a sucker punch.

But, I have great faith in Jurgen turning this around. Listen to his mantra, its not bull5hit its realism, whether in relation to how we play, signings in January etc. He is building, a team and a mentality, he is not looking for a short term fix, united fans will be smug tonight, but in their heart of hearts they know that we will be in a better position going forward. Wins like this keep LVG in his job, the longer the better I say.

I have supported Liverpool for over four decades, I saw a lost of plus points today and over the last few weeks. We badly need a top keeper, which will be hard to find, we also need a fast, clever, finisher to suit our style, plus cover for Center half and central mid-field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

He'll end up at a promoted team for a while before finding his level in the Championship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Ibe just turned 20. Of course if your not a superstar at that age you'll never make it.

You must not have been watching him long then, when he broke in to the team he was excellent for a good while, always beating two or three before passing.
    The last 6 months he has regressed, he plays like he has no confidence now but he's only just turned 20, i have high hopes for him.

Of course we are disappointed today, we had more possession, played the better football, but did not create enough or finish the small opportunities er got, then got caught by a sucker punch.

But, I have great faith in Jurgen turning this around. Listen to his mantra, its not bull5hit its realism, whether in relation to how we play, signings in January etc. He is building, a team and a mentality, he is not looking for a short term fix, united fans will be smug tonight, but in their heart of hearts they know that we will be in a better position going forward. Wins like this keep LVG in his job, the longer the better I say.

I have supported Liverpool for over four decades, I saw a lost of plus points today and over the last few weeks. We badly need a top keeper, which will be hard to find, we also need a fast, clever, finisher to suit our style, plus cover for Center half and central mid-field.

Yep, disappointed with that result for sure. But even if we had won today, it wouldn't mean anything. Klopp has a team to build. Let him build him it. It's what makes me positive, despite the defeat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

ERG89 wrote: »
    Only thing he did or didn't do was close down the cross before the goal. He's pretty good at dribbling straight into defenders. Him and Lallana sicken me tbh

Ibe is still very young to be fair. Just turned 20. Lallana should be in his prime now but is completely lily livered. Just seems physically and mentally weak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Yep, disappointed with that result for sure. But even if we had won today, it wouldn't mean anything. Klopp has a team to build. Let him build him it. It's what makes me positive, despite the defeat.

exactly, same here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭price690

Muahahaha wrote: »
    If we still have the the receipt for Benteke we should return him back to Villa. He's been a terrible signing, he doesn't suit our style and isnt capable of adapting to it

What is "our style" exactly?

I'm always bemused when I hear this spun.

Benteke is limited and gets slaughtered for it, he passed off as being incapable of becoming Sturridge Mark II.

If our style is to play 4 workhorses in midfield at home in Milner, Lucas, Henderson and Can and then relying on Lallana and Firmino for goals, then I'm not sure this is the best style either.

The league is a write off now play Benteke week in week out and see what can be salvaged.

Not many strikers will thrive with ammunition being supplied by such mediocrity.

Benteke is a passenger at times, but he has shown he can score given chances, he has scored winners on a few occasions this season. I'd rather use him on the off chance of scoring goals out of nothing rather than consistently using Lallana (also mostly a passenger) who offers nothing whatsoever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

Gotta focus on them cups now, cl via league is gone now so I'd focus on Europa as a means to qualification. Hopefully klopp learns who he wants to bin over the next 4 months, gets backed in the summer and his regime fully takes place then. Disappointing day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

He'll end up at a promoted team for a while before finding his level in the Championship.

Hes Gabby Agbonlahor without the goals, looking at it from the outside

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

price690 wrote: »
    What is "our style" exactly?

I'm always bemused when I hear this spun.

Benteke is limited and gets slaughtered for it, he passed off as being incapable of becoming Sturridge Mark II.

If our style is to play 4 workhorses in midfield at home in Milner, Lucas, Henderson and Can and then relying on Lallana and Firmino for goals, then I'm not sure this is the best style either.

The league is a write off now play Benteke week in week out and see what can be salvaged.

Not many strikers will thrive with ammunition being supplied by such mediocrity.

Benteke is a passenger at times, but he has shown he can score given chances, he has scored winners on a few occasions this season. I'd rather use him on the off chance of scoring goals out of nothing rather than consistently using Lallana (also mostly a passenger) who offers nothing whatsoever

I'd play Benteke week in week out in league now for nothing other than preserving his value in the summer to off load him.

If Liverpool continue to leave on the bench their only fit striker and play Firmino up front for the remaining games , we will probably see benteke's value down to round 15m by the end of the season .

NukaCola wrote: »
    Ibe just turned 20. Of course if your not a superstar at that age you'll never make it.

Not saying he should be a superstar at 20. Just saying that I don't see any signs of it. I just don't see what all thw fuss is about him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

ERG89 wrote: »

But harsh putting Ibe in same bracket as Lallana. Some difference in amount of starts I'd say.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I'd play Benteke week in week out in league now for nothing other than preserving his value in the summer to off load him.

If Liverpool continue to leave on the bench their only fit striker and play Firmino up front for the remaining games , we will probably see benteke's value down to round 15m by the end of the season .

Worst reason ever to play anyone.

klose wrote: »
    Gotta focus on them cups now, cl via league is gone now so I'd focus on Europa as a means to qualification. Hopefully klopp learns who he wants to bin over the next 4 months, gets backed in the summer and his regime fully takes place then. Disappointing day.

If we can't beat the worst United team at home, Crystal Palace and West Brom.

We've little chance against Dortmund, Shalke, Porto, Lazio and the likes. The next 6 months should be used to weed out the chancers and targeting potential signings

• Advertisement

astonaidan wrote: »
    Hes Gabby Agbonlahor without the goals, looking at it from the outside

The only reason Gabby has lasted as long as he has at Villa is because he's a local and he supports them. Completely average player, i'm sensing you feel the same.

Ibe is still young and can still make it, but sometimes you just know. You knew Sterling would be a player, but Ibe not so much. The poor lad will end up at Sunderland at some stage.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

How good do people think ibe can become. Rarely assists or scores.

You could say that about a good few "proven" players too, in that team.

All round lack of goals and assists

5starpool wrote: »
    Worst reason ever to play anyone.

The league is gone. Well probably end up 7/8th if lucky.

Playing Benteke more regular could mean an extra 10m in transfer money

We're not really scoring gaols either ways . With or without him

NukaCola wrote: »

You are kidding yourself if you think Jordan Ibe will ever be good enough to play in a side with aspirations of playing in the champions league. 20 years old or not, he has the physical attributes but not the brain to go with it.

Fully expect him to find his level in mid table (provided we are not there ourselves) in a couple of seasons once he has reached his ceiling. Somewhere his endeavour and application will be a major asset. We need more unfortunately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,949 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

You're all geniuses lads, what with knowing how Ibe's gonna turn out in the next few years. Someone tell Jurgen so he can stop wasting his time with the lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I really thought we had made the managerial change soon enough to avoid this season's league being a write off.

Christ even last season we kept going til March.

Massively disappointing. Shambolic defending at every step for that goal. Awful decision making when nice moves were put together.

Klopp is going to have to improve some of these lads. We won't be able to replace them all.

• Advertisement

You're all geniuses lads, what with knowing how Ibe's gonna turn out in the next few years. Someone tell Jurgen so he can stop wasting his time with the lad.

In all fairness it seems Klopp is using whoever he can get at the minute such is his lack of options

Jurgen's stuck with the lad and has no choice but to make the best out of the situation. Klopp's one of those managers who will give every player the opportunity and confidence to express themselves.

I hope Ibe makes the grade, but he really wont, let's face it. You knew Sterling would, but Ibe won't. He's ultimately West Brom type material, a Kieran Richardson.

This is not based on today by the way, just a general opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

noodler wrote: »
    Klopp is going to have to improve some of these lads. We won't be able to replace them all.

Improve some, yes. Maybe a handful.

All the rest need replacing. Our players are simply nowhere near the calibre they need to be. The money we have squandered in getting to this position is just heartbreaking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

STURRRRRRIIIDDGE!!

Get fit you ****ing bastard!

So is it now ok to say a 20 year old won't make it at the club?
    I said the same about Markovic last year as was damn near shot for saying he won't make it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I said the same about Markovic last year as was damn near shot for saying he won't make it.

Who? Ibe? Lallana?

Both need a kick up the arse, im willing to give Ibe time but im getting real sick of Lallanas play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Up next

Norwich A
    Leicester A
    Sunderland H
    Villa A
    Everton H
    Man City H

18 pts from 18 is likely
    Puts us back in race for 4th

18 points is likely?? What are you smoking? Can I have some? I'd be happy with 12/13 points from those fixtures but I think even less than that is likely

We paid 20 million for Markovic. I'd like him to have been given the same game time has Ibe has been given to prove himself.

The fact we sent Markovic off on loan after one season is not Klopp's fault. I'd like to see what Markovic can do rather just selling him for a loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

The only reason Gabby has lasted as long as he has at Villa is because he's a local and he supports them. Completely average player, i'm sensing you feel the same.

Ibe is still young and can still make it, but sometimes you just know. You knew Sterling would be a player, but Ibe not so much. The poor lad will end up at Sunderland at some stage.

In fairness plenty thought Sterling wouldn't make it either during his first 6 months or so of breaking through. He got plenty of criticism at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Forget about forth. It's gone. It's not happening. 4th, the number 4, fourth, four and for should all be banned from the LFC thread for the rest of the season.

When you see us bringing Caulker on up front, a central defender, a loan signing who we stuffed 5 past a few weeks back you know your goose is cooked.

People on about signing a top striker, if we sign a striker it's going to be in the summer. He will not be top class as we won't have CL football. It will be bargain basement where we hope he will adapt to premier league quickly.

We need a keeper, a CB , possibly 2 wingers along with a striker. All these players aren't going to come in and change things over night for next year.
    Klopp is in a worst position now that when Kenny or Rodgers took over.

We shall go forth with Klopp! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Rodgers really built a squad full of average players.

No doubt about that but they have got worse under klopp
    19 points from a possible 42 has been a horrible start
    He needs to clear the place out and be given backing in the transfer market
    Think we need to get in an elite striker no matter what the costs

In fairness plenty thought Sterling wouldn't make it either during his first 6 months or so of breaking through. He got plenty of criticism at the time.

Well that wasn't me and who criticised him? Here or media?

19 points from a possible 42 has been a horrible start
    He needs to clear the place out and be given backing in the transfer market
    Think we need to get in an elite striker no matter what the costs

Top class striker and keeper are essential. As a start..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

We paid 20 million for Markovic. I'd like him to have been given the same game time has Ibe has been given to prove himself.

The fact we sent Markovic off on loan after one season is not Klopp's fault. I'd like to see what Markovic can do rather just selling him for a loss.

When Ibe got a chance in the first team he took it, and played well enough that myself and a few others in here agreed he could be as good as St£rling.

Markovic was given a decent chance and showed absolutely nothing to suggest he would go on to become a good footballer, when someone plays as bad as Markovic did you can't continue to play him and hope for a miracle. There muct come a stage where you cut your losses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

If there was ever a game to prove how bad our recruitment has been, this was it.

If Klopp needs any evidence to give FSG in order to convince them that they need massive reinvestment...just make them sit through that whole game again.

Tactically, we dominated.

They tried pumping it to Fellaini to get a foothold, we countered it.
    They tried to get Martial in the game, and we only got glimpses.
    Lucas had their midfield in his pocket.

We restricted them to a couple of shots all game, while we were consistently in good areas of the pitch, forcing at least 2 world class saves from DDG, plus a couple of others.

Klopp completely outmanoeuvred LVG.

We lost because of yet more individual mistakes at set pieces, and the fact we have too many players who flatter to deceive up front.

Klopp can't put the ball in the net for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Some interesting comments from Rodgers this morning on how the transfer committe operates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Ibe is a talent. But he switches off way too often during games. But he is a young player who we will see how good he becomes in the next few years. Lallana has become a much bigger problem & disapointment. Playing alot of minutes & not scoring or assisting at all.

We badly need a quality attacking player this window with pace. Inaki Williams at 15m would be a steal. But I think he will sign a new contract with Bilbao.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

SlickRic wrote: »
    If there was ever a game to prove how bad our recruitment has been, this was it.

If Klopp needs any evidence to give FSG in order to convince them that they need massive reinvestment...just make them sit through that whole game again.

We restricted them to a couple of shots all game, while we were consistently in good areas of the pitch, forcing at least 2 world class saves from DDG, plus a couple of others.

We lost because of yet more individual mistakes at set pieces, and the fact we have too many players who flatter to deceive up front.

As I said in the match thread, we had FML up front. Most appropriate acronym ever for that lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

SlickRic wrote: »

Great post. No doubt Van Gaal bought time with this but any neutral watching the game would've thought a draw would've been fairer, given that our final product is so ****.

I'm not gonna hop on the 'complete squad overhaul is needed' bandwagon, because I think we have the guts of a great squad here, but it's clear as day now that a keeper who consistently **** everything up, a back 4 that sh*ts themselves at set pieces and a forward line with a bunch of passengers, aside from Firmino, will never get us anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

A new first team spine is needed.

A new first team goalkeeper is needed.

A new first team centre back is needed.

A new first team centre midfielder is needed.

A new first team winger is neeed.

A new first team striker is needed.

Ideally the Keeper, CB, CM are all leaders not afraid to shout and scream and put there foot into a tackle.

You are looking at the guts of £120m if you are lucky getting all those players in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

How have they got worse? Are you not watching??? Since we lost at home to United last year under Brendan we only had a good 45 min away to Arsenal. Kloop is giving everyone a bite, theyll be no one out on their ear next summer that can't say they didn't get a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Is Sturridge injured or is Klopp just not playing him because he feels he needs more training. Sturridge said he was ready 4 weeks ago yet not name on bench.
    He is not injured and he is not going to be played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

How have they got worse? Are you not watching??? Since we lost at home to United last year under Brendan we only had a good 45 min away to Arsenal. Kloop is giving everyone a bite, theyll be no one out on their ear next summer that can't say they didn't get a chance.

Are people taking him seriously?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Is Sturridge injured or is Klopp just not playing him because he feels he needs more training. Sturridge said he was ready 4 weeks ago yet not name on bench.
    He is not injured and he is not going to be played.

Where did you get this info?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement