Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 15/16

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

You are looking at the guts of £120m if you are lucky getting all those players in.

No way can you get a top GK, CB, CM, winger and ST for £120m. It's probably closer to 200m or more.

That said, I think a GK and ST ala Sturridge minus the glass would bring this team a long way.

A commanding keeper can whip a defence into shape. Arsenal don't have the best of defenders, aside from Koscielny, but Cech's influence this season has meant that the likes of Monreal look top class, whereas they looked like Moreno before: just meh.

Who knows what a GK who isn't a bag of nerves could do to that back 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

djPSB wrote: »
    Some interesting comments from Rodgers this morning on how the transfer committe operates.
    What did he say?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Just after watching the whole game there now and there alot of positives to take from it but losing to another retarded goal again totally overshadows that now Might have been are best performance of the season but the simple fact is we've no individual world class players (other than a broken one) to win us games like that now like when we had Suarez, Gerrard, Torres. Firmino, Lucas and Sakho were very good today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Markovic was given a decent chance and showed absolutely nothing to suggest he would go on to become a good footballer, when someone plays as bad as Markovic did you can't continue to play him and hope for a miracle. There muct come a stage where you cut your losses.
    he wasn't given a chance. He'll be back next year and will get his chance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

NukaCola wrote: »
    Where did you get this info?

No info
    I'm just curious as to why a player who said he was ready to go is not even making bench. Has a new injury occurred.
    Sterling has played more league games at 20 than Sturridge has played in his whole career .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Feel sorry for Kolo Toure and Emre Can. Some really good performances today. Deserved at least a point. Benteke should have started. Counter attacking at home is not the way to go.

To an extent, but at the same time, I was screaming at the laptop in the build up to the corner we conceded from...he had the ball at CB, with plenty of time. started expressing that there was nothing decent on, but then just plays a pointless ball into midfield that (i think) Lallana had no chance of winning. It comes straight back at us and we concede the corner - and the goal.

In isolation its just a misplaced pass, but really it's the last remnants of Rodgers style not meshing with Klopps...high risk balls in low reward areas. if the ball you're playing will only give someone a 50/50 chance, then that ball should be deep in their half, in in ours.

Gutted with the result today, ManU were bloody awful outside of defense, I still can't get over how ineffectual Rooney has become as a player. He's still a good finisher of course, which will likely never go away, but christ that used to be the least of what he offered. It's like he's the end-of-career version of Fowler that came back to anfield, except without the diminished expectations.

No info
    I'm just curious as to why a player who said he was ready to go is not even making bench. Has a new injury occurred.
    Sterling has played more league games at 20 than Sturridge has played in his whole career .

Holy **** :eek:

Wasn't someone in this thread claiming that Sturridge wasn't injury prone a while back? Might've been Caovyn Lineah I think...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

No info

I never heard that he said he was ready 4 weeks ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Arsenal don't have the best of defenders, aside from Koscielny, but Cech's influence this season has meant that the likes of Monreal look top class, whereas they looked like Moreno before: just meh.

What? Arsenal have probably the best two full backs in the league....and Kos is a excellent centre back. Monreal has been excellent for them for a while now. Nothing to do with Cech. I'd trade all off our boys in for theirs no problem.

We were poor today. Very poor. No game plan from klopp and he has to answer questions for it. We hit and hope for all of the second half. Say what you want about United bit at least they had a period of possession where they got the ball down and held onto the thing. Ours was all rush,
    rush, rush. Not bringing on benteke earlier when it was nil all was very poor to see also. Lallana and milner need to be dropped too. They offer nothing to the team. For now... Seems as we have no other option, we need to build our game around benteke. He's a one goal in two games man. Let's play to his strength. There is not one successful team in the world that doesn't play without a centre forward. Klopps honeymoon is over now. We're 9th in the league and playing badly.

• Advertisement

Wasn't someone in this thread claiming that Sturridge wasn't injury prone a while back? Might've been Caovyn Lineah I think...

Mr.H :o

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=97186575&postcount=5249

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

I never heard that he said he was ready 4 weeks ago?

He did but Klopp said he was having a mini pre-season before putting him back in the team. Got injured again. Natch.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Match thread descended into the usual childish crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    What? Arsenal have probably the best two full backs in the league....and Kos is a excellent centre back. Monreal has been excellent for them for a while now. Nothing to do with Cech. I'd trade all off our boys in for theirs no problem.

We were poor today. Very poor. No game plan from klopp and he has to answer questions for it. We hit and hope for all of the second half. Say what you want about United bit at least they had a period of possession where they got the ball down and held onto the thing. Ours was all rush,
    rush, rush. Not bringing on benteke earlier when it was nil all was very poor to see also. Lallana and milner need to be dropped too. They offer nothing to the team. For now... Seems as we have no other option, we need to build our game around benteke. He's a one goal in two games man. Let's play to his strength. There is not one successful team in the world that doesn't play without a centre forward. Klopps honeymoon is over now. We're 9th in the league and playing badly.

I don't know what game you were watching... we dominated but lacked goals. This isn't anything new... we all know that Benteke doesn't suit our style and that our other 3 strikers are all injured. But tbh we played pretty well today. Some lovely moves. We weren't perfect but we're not Barca so we won't be..

Who do you drop Lallana and Milner for?!?

The honeymoon is over?!?! HE hasn't even had a chance to buy anyone... you want him to turn everyone into world beaters overnight?!?

Thought Klopp got his tactics spot on. Also thought we played quite well.

Benteke is a waste of money, the thought of watching us launching it long to him as he strays offside again and again is probably the most depressing thought I had in a while. Benteke can score goals, but his overall game is average, doesn't press, has no movement and overall just doesn't do enough. Build our team around that? I hope not.

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    I don't know what game you were watching... we dominated but lacked goals. This isn't anything new... we all know that Benteke doesn't suit our style and that our other 3 strikers are all injured. But tbh we played pretty well today. Some lovely moves. We weren't perfect but we're not Barca so we won't be..

Who do you drop Lallana and Milner for?!?

The honeymoon is over?!?! HE hasn't even had a chance to buy anyone... you want him to turn everyone into world beaters overnight?!?

I agree with everything here......but I just cant stand Lallana anymore, he offers so little its infuriating.

I agree with everything here......but I just cant stand Lallana anymore, he offers so little its infuriating.

I agree and when Coutinho comes back just switch them.

I know i shouldn't think about it because it'll never happen but i honestly think that Sturridge fit would make us a really good side. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

We played well to very good today. You could see the tactics coming together nicely around 15-45 mins. I thought we were unlucky and United weren't.

This season they look great, but Monreal has been pretty average up until this season and Bellerin has only solidified his place this year. Last year that back 4 looked shaky but Cech's influence extends far beyond being a top GK. He gives them reassurance that if they mess up, he's there anyway. Mig definitely doesn't do this.

I don't what you're on about with no game plan. Klopp set us up perfectly and we dominated the game. Lallana was just a passenger and the rest of the forwards just couldn't put the ball in the net. Klopp did everything he could've done here.

Benteke was dogsh*t when he came on and spent most of his time at the edge of the box doing f*ck all, as per usual. He's been pretty poor all season and as I said when we signed him, he just doesn't suit us at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Not realistic.....knee jerk negative.

Not knee jerk at all mate I've been saying it all season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

I think we pressed utd well, harried them and gave them no time on the ball and restricted them to fleeting moments of attack. I also think we were hopeless with the ball, it was all too rushed, no composure, no real quality bar a couple of nice interchanges. All in all it was pretty average. Yes, we shaded it but it was like two drunk cowboys having a fist fight, nothing clean was landed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

If we could pawn Benteke off in the summer to the likes of Swansea for 10-15M id take hand and all off them.

He just isn't a Liverpool type player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Jesus your a ****ing moron. We were far from poor. There's a massive difference between being poor and being unable to score.

No way can you get a top GK, CB, CM, winger and ST for £120m. It's probably closer to 200m or more.

That said, I think a GK and ST ala Sturridge minus the glass would bring this team a long way.

A commanding keeper can whip a defence into shape. Arsenal don't have the best of defenders, aside from Koscielny, but Cech's influence this season has meant that the likes of Monreal look top class, whereas they looked like Moreno before: just meh.

Who knows what a GK who isn't a bag of nerves could do to that back 4.

It's not the goalkeepers fault there was nobody within a 3 mile radius of Rooney when he scored

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Nothing like an undeserved 1-0 defeat to trigger a wide-ranging introspection into absolutely everything wrong with the club. No stone shall be left unturned.

Christ. You'd swear we'd just been relegated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Vicxas wrote: »
    If we could pawn Benteke off in the summer to the likes of Swansea for 10-15M id take hand and all off them.

Would we also provide them with the lube for fcking us?

I agree with the sentiment but we need to get at least £20m and that's at least, I'd want £25m.

Lads I don't know what game ye were watching second half. United got the ball down and dominated possession for about ten minutes. What did we do? Kick and hope for the best. Hook long balls over the top to firminho who blind and smalling had in their pocket. How many passages of play did we have where Hendo or can took control of the ball and we played five of six consecutive passes? Nil. We were poor. And United being being poorer doesn't or shouldn't paper over that fact. One of the worst United teams to show up at Anfield and we can't beat them. I'd definitely drop milner and lallana. How many assists or goals have they got between them? Get benteke on. Get ibe on. Hell, get Smith on. Least that lad can put in a cross. No matter what you say about benteke, he is a proven goalscorer. So let's play to the strengths of the only fit forward we have available to us. It's not rocket science.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Hand on heart, I'd only definitely keep Sakho, Henderson and maybe Firmino (if we get a functioning striker) out of our first 11 today if we're to get where we need to be.

Moreno has the raw tools maybe; as do Clyne and Can.

The rest I'd honestly take or leave.

Lads I don't know what game ye were watching second half. United got the ball down and dominated possession for about ten minutes. What did we do? Kick and hope for the best. Hook long balls over the top to firminho who blind and smalling had in their pocket. How many passages of play did we have where Hendo or can took control of the ball and we played five of six consecutive passes? Nil. We were poor. And United being being poorer doesn't or shouldn't paper over that fact. One of the worst United teams to show up at Anfield and we can't beat them. I'd definitely drop milner and lallana. How many assists or goals have they got between them? Get benteke on. Get ibe on. Hell, get Smith on. Least that lad can put in a cross. No matter what you say about benteke, he is a proven goalscorer. So let's play to the strengths of the only fit forward we have available to us. It's not rocket science.

We've played better without Benteke in the team than with him in it.

Also United were on top for 10 mins so we were poor... the other 80mins don't count?!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Would we also provide them with the lube for fcking us?

I agree with the sentiment but we need to get at least £20m and that's at least, I'd want £25m.

We ****ed ourselves.

Who would you get in for that £10m that would score the goals he's gottenfor us this season? He averages a goal every 2.5 league games and has scored the winner in 3 league games this season.

SlickRic wrote: »
    Hand on heart, I'd only definitely keep Sakho, Henderson and maybe Firmino (if we get a functioning striker) out of our first 11 today if we're to get where we need to be.

Thats 6 out of 11 and we're in the middle of an injury crisis... we have some good players and a decent squad but we need 1-2 players of real quality. I don't want us buying 6 replacement players. A keeper, winger and a striker. supplemented with a good midfield prospect (I think Can, Hendo could be a good partnership).

I honestly don't think benteke will be around next season, it's clear klopp doesn't rate him

Yep. Anyone who says that wasn't a scrappy game of football is kidding themselves. United from about the 50th minutes onwards got the ball down and started causing us trouble. They then brought on mata cos there were gaping holes "in between the lines". They had the only sustained period of possession throughout the game which lasted about ten minutes. We rushed around all game like headless chickens when we won back the ball. No point winning it back if you don't know what to do with it when you get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Sappy404 wrote: »
    Who would you get in for that £10m that would score the goals he's gottenfor us this season? He averages a goal every 2.5 league games and has scored the winner in 3 league games this season.

We wouldn't. But we'd at least get some dead weight off our bench.

True he won a few games for us but we need a striker that has the chance to win every game for us.

Benteke has been a liability far too many times this season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

If we can't beat the worst United team at home, Crystal Palace and West Brom.

We've little chance against Dortmund, Shalke, Porto, Lazio and the likes. The next 6 months should be used to weed out the chancers and targeting potential signings

I don't see any chancers, I see players maybe who are not good enough trying their best, only one I see not giving 100% is tekkers, but then it looks like the manager has no faith in him anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Yep. Anyone who says that wasn't a scrappy game of football is kidding themselves. United from about the 50th minutes onwards got the ball down and started causing us trouble. They then brought on mata cos there were gaping holes "in between the lines". They had the only sustained period of possession throughout the game which lasted about ten minutes. We rushed around all game like headless chickens when we won back the ball. No point winning it back if you don't know what to do with it when you get it.

It was an awful game. Nobody is saying otherwise.

monkey9 wrote: »
    It was an awful game. Nobody is saying otherwise.
    People are saying we weren't poor. We were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

SlickRic wrote: »

Sakho, Clyne, Moreno, Henderson, Firmino & Coutinho.

I would keep Lucas, Can, Gomez, Origi, Ings in the general squad.

I'd happily see the rest sold off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Correct. He also believes the earth is flat and OJ is innocent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

People are saying we weren't poor. We were.

I didn't think we were particularly poor to be honest. Seen us play a lot worse this season. Quite a few times actually. We just seemed to be missing a bit of creativity (Coutinho) and especially a cutting edge (Sturridge). Firmino was good but the other "attacking" players Lallana and Milner offered nothing. Thought we were clearly the better side on the day but it doesn't count for much when you don't put the ball in the net.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I miss Luis:(

We wouldn't. But we'd at least get some dead weight off our bench.

True he won a few games for us but we need a striker that has the chance to win every game for us.

Benteke has been a liability far too many times this season

So out of all of the 'dead weight' on the bench you want to remove our top goalscorer? Because he's a 'liability'? How about buying cover for Sturridge, Ings and Origi, all of whom are injured long-term? How about selling Allen or Teixeira and bringing in a better CM or AM? How about a player who can play instead of Lallana, who hasn't missed a game under Klopp but who's yet to score? How about someone top take the pressure off Ibe? How about getting rid of Lucas for someone who can last 90 minutes and maybe offer a goal threat? How about a alternative to Emre Can, a 21 year old who's game deteriorates as badly as Lucas'?

We need serious improvements in the squad, but you want rid of a clearly effective player at a £22m loss 6 months into his Liverpool career because he's not scoring from the bench?

I didn't think we were particularly poor to be honest. Seen us play a lot worse this season. Quite a few times actually. We just seemed to be missing a bit of creativity (Coutinho) and especially a cutting edge (Sturridge). Firmino was good but the other "attacking" players Lallana and Milner offered nothing. Thought we were clearly the better side on the day but it doesn't count for much when you don't put the ball in the net.

Well I'd disagree with you there about being CLEARLY the better team. We huffed and puffed a lot. I just think people need a reality check. One of the worst United teams to come to anfield. A winger playing right back. A right back playing left back. A midfielder playing centre back. One shot on target. Yet they still found a way to win. They're a poor team, but we shat ourselves when we got the ball. We'd a few balls over the top on account of scrappy play in middle. We never put a string of passes together to create a chance. Never got control of the game. Never dominated possession. Yet people think we played well and got the tactics spot on. Our form has been poor for weeks now. Watford, West brom, Newcastle, palace, United, West ham. Etc etc. Don't know if anyone has noticed but we're dropping down the table....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Some interesting defending for the United goal. 4 Liverpool players on Fellani and he still wins the header. Lucas the main offender for getting sucked in late and leaving Rooney free.

CY8UhYdWMAExDQJ.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Think we will see by the end of this transfer window, if not definately by the end of the summer window, if Klopp has any say in the players signed or sold. He claimed in the German press after signing that he would have the final say...but then again so did Rodgers.
    Having watched him from day one at BVB I am sure there he told Michael Zorc...go get me player X and it was sorted when possible. Somehow I have a feeling that that is not the case at Liverpool, have the feeling the TC has more influence than we are being told.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Henderson completely lost him for the corner, then stood ball watching while Rooney scored.

I suppose now that the dust has settled the important questions can start to be asked......who did we lose today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Some interesting defending for the United goal. 4 Liverpool players on Fellani and he still wins the header. Lucas the main offender for getting sucked in late and leaving Rooney free.

CY8UhYdWMAExDQJ.jpg
    On winning corners and headers in general, TTT has a nice piece on our bunch of short ar*es (apologies to Knex. and D'Agger)

Klopp given the smallest Liverpool squad ever.

http://tomkinstimes.com/2016/01/klopp-given-the-smallest-liverpool-squad-ever/

Edit: 6 of our last 13 goals conceded were scored from corners?

Well I'd disagree with you there about being CLEARLY the better team. We huffed and puffed a lot. I just think people need a reality check. One of the worst United teams to come to anfield. A winger playing right back. A right back playing left back. A midfielder playing centre back. One shot on target. Yet they still found a way to win. They're a poor team, but we shat ourselves when we got the ball. We'd a few balls over the top on account of scrappy play in middle. We never put a string of passes together to create a chance. Never got control of the game. Never dominated possession. Yet people think we played well and got the tactics spot on. Our form has been poor for weeks now. Watford, West brom, Newcastle, palace, United, West ham. Etc etc. Don't know if anyone has noticed but we're dropping down the table....

So we didn't put a lovely move together to make room for the chance that Hendo pulled wide in the first half?

We were ok, not great not bad. With better attacking wide players we'd have scored and we'd be talking about a very good performance. To say we were poor is stupid.

Also why did you ignore the games we've played well in in your list there? No mention of City or Arsenal etc etc.

We all know there's a ton of work to be done with the squad and we also know that there's a HUGE injury crisis we're trying to work through at the worst time of the season for it.

Ardent wrote: »
    Yet another game where Lucas switches off and it results in a goal. We need a shake up of the squad in the summer. Too many players not good enough.
    Don't think much if any blame can be attributed to Lucas for the goal.
    Grayditch wrote: »
    So Klopp hasn't had an immediate effect on results. The injuries and fixture list have been insane. I'm still fairly zen for now. It's turned out to be a rocky transition. I still think we'll be graaaaand next season.
    +1
    price690 wrote: »

If our style is to play 4 workhorses in midfield at home in Milner, Lucas, Henderson and Can and then relying on Lallana and Firmino for goals, then I'm not sure this is the best style either.

The league is a write off now play Benteke week in week out and see what can be salvaged.
    .......... I'd rather use him on the off chance of scoring goals out of nothing rather than consistently using Lallana (also mostly a passenger) who offers nothing whatsoever

Lallana would be best used not so far forward. Milner, Lucas, Henderson and Can & Lallana is a bit of a boring stew really.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement