Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 15/16

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I miss Luis even more:(:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

We should over Stoke an offer the can't refuse for jack butland
    There's no way we can start the season with mig as number one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Ya know we can analyse the defending and goalkeeper all we want, fact is we lack a fit decent striker. Sturridge or someone like him was starting today, with the chances we created and space the game is in the bag by HT even with De Gea in goal. This urgently needs to be addressed, above anything else.

We have enough OK CB's but our striking options are so poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

If we'd scored from a decent move like say Hendos chance we'd all be sitting here saying it was a great performance and fully deserving of the win.

Instead we were toothless when it mattered and conceded from our their only attack on goal.

.... Hence roll out the doomsday know it alls... He's ****e. He offers nothing. His price tag is heavy. And all other meaningless clichés.

Grow up lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

If we'd scored from a decent move like say Hendos chance we'd all be sitting here saying it was a great performance and fully deserving of the win.

Instead we were toothless when it mattered and conceded from our their only attack on goal.

.... Hence roll out the doomsday know it alls... He's ****e. He offers nothing. His price tag is heavy. And all other meaningless clichés.

Grow up lads.

I agree but it doesn't take this game to form an opinion on how useless/ineffective Lallana and Benteke are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

rob316 wrote: »
    I agree but it doesn't take this game to form an opinion on how useless/ineffective Lallana and Benteke are.

It'll be brutally obvious what klopp needs to do by the time the season ends. Not a lot we can do now we've laid out bed for this season long before he arrived.

I'd just rather try enjoy a few games.... And I enjoyed today at times.... Than react furiously everytime we lose a game. We all should be well used to it by now. At least unlike the last 3 times we turned up to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭slingerz

mav79 wrote: »
    giphy.gif

Still thinking this after today?! And our striking options!

Liverpool need a new spine of the team with the new arrivals being leaders

A new GK, CB, CM, ST. Perhaps 2 CB and 2 CM. Those that believe Sakho/Can are good enough to be first team starters week in week out are deluded.

The likes of Henderson, Coutinho, Clyne are additions to a solid spine.

The money that's been wasted has been criminal too. It's actually better for Liverpool to not get into the CL/EL as they are so far off it.

FSG need to spend and spend big in the next couple of windows to bring Liverpool back to where they need to be. I wouldn't be betting on that happening though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

slingerz wrote: »

Was that about Ade? Cause if it was then it stands...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

The money that's been wasted has been criminal too. It's actually better for Liverpool to not get into the CL/EL as they are so far off it.

£300m since Rodgers took over. I read that today.

An absolute disgrace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

You couldn't pay us enough to take him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Well that was a bad trip :(, again their keeper keeps them in it, and well Liverpool can't defend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

De Gea, Cech and Butland all showed today how valuable a decent keeper is by keeping their sides in todays games.

A good keeper earns their teams points whereas we have one that regularly costs us points and what is seen as a good game for Mignolet is if he doesn't make an absolute howler

Well that was a bad trip :(, again their keeper keeps them in it, and well Liverpool can't defend.

Set pieces. We defended really well in open play today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Depressing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Blah blah, rabble rabble, bollocks bollocks.

I must've missed the part where all the other teams in the league have £50m players in every position (City notwithstanding).

1 Ings level striker and we'd be in and around top 4. That's not much to ask for.
    1 Sturridge level striker and we'd be comfortably top 4 this season.

It's truly embarrassing how undervalued many of our players are by some of our own fans.
    Or maybe it's a question of overrating other teams players, or being exposed to the likes of Real and Barca as your only other source of regular football and thinking that that's the standard we should be aiming for (and also, being deluded into thinking that the sun shines out each and everyone one of their players' arses despite the fact that they too are routinely saved by a very select group of players like Suarez, Neymar, Bale and Ronaldo).

Just because you can nit-pick players as not being literally the best player in their position in the league doesn't mean they could or should be replaced.

Nobody in our squad is anything like poor enough to be a disgrace to the shirt or not good enough for the club.
    It's not about the player that are here. It's about the players that aren't.

We do not have the 1 or 2 seriously brilliant players (particularly goalscorers) that you need to be serious contenders.

The way some clowns go on it's a wonder we're not getting relegated.
    If we were as bad as a lot of you say, then you'd think that having nearly the worst injury record in the league would have us a bit further down the league, no?
    If we're utter ****, and all of our squad are injured, to the point where we have 1 fit CF, then presumably the U14s that are left are a cut above...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

SlickRic wrote: »

An absolute disgrace.

The highlighted are the only ones I would keep although I would give Markovic a fair run next season and I don't think Sturridge will ever get to full fitness again.

2012-13
    Fabio Borini: £10.4m
    Joe Allen: £15m
    Oussama Assaidi: £3m
    Samed Yesil: £1m
    Daniel Sturridge: £12m
    Philippe Coutinho: £8.5m

2013-14
    Luis Alberto: £6.8m
    Iago Aspas: £7m
    Simon Mignolet: £9m
    Mamadou Sakho: £15m
    Tiago Ilori: £7m

2014-15
    Rickie Lambert: £4.5m
    Adam Lallana: £25m
    Emre Can: £9.75m
    Lazar Markovic: £19.8m
    Dejan Lovren: £20m
    Divock Origi: £9.8m
    Alberto Moreno: £12m
    Mario Balotelli: £16m

2015-16
    Joe Gomez: £6m
    Nathaniel Clyne: £12.5m
    Roberto Firmino: £29m
    Christian Benteke: £32.5m
    Ings £?

TOTAL: £291.55m

Gbear wrote: »
    Blah blah, rabble rabble, bollocks bollocks.

I must've missed the part where all the other teams in the league have £50m players in every position (City notwithstanding).

1 Ings level striker and we'd be in and around top 4. That's not much to ask for.
    1 Sturridge level striker and we'd be comfortably top 4 this season.

It's truly embarrassing how undervalued many of our players are by some of our own fans.
    Or maybe it's a question of overrating other teams players, or being exposed to the likes of Real and Barca as your only other source of regular football and thinking that that's the standard we should be aiming for (and also, being deluded into thinking that the sun shines out each and everyone one of their players' arses despite the fact that they too are routinely saved by a very select group of players like Suarez, Neymar, Bale and Ronaldo).

Just because you can nit-pick players as not being literally the best player in their position in the league doesn't mean they could or should be replaced.

Nobody in our squad is anything like poor enough to be a disgrace to the shirt or not good enough for the club.
    It's not about the player that are here. It's about the players that aren't.

We do not have the 1 or 2 seriously brilliant players (particularly goalscorers) that you need to be serious contenders.

The way some clowns go on it's a wonder we're not getting relegated.
    If we were as bad as a lot of you say, then you'd think that having nearly the worst injury record in the league would have us a bit further down the league, no?
    If we're utter ****, and all of our squad are injured, to the point where we have 1 fit CF, then presumably the U14s that are left are a cut above...:rolleyes:

Boom. Nail on the head. Never going to have a team of world beaters. You don't need it either, add one or two top class players (sanchez, Ozil, Silva, Aguero) and we'd shoot up. If Spurs had the injuries we have and we had the run of luck on that front they have we'd switch places imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

We defend the man and then the ball
    I hate that
    Should be defending the ball when it's there to be won
    Worry about them man later, clear the ball first.

This thing of pulling and dragging out of a man at corners while paying no attention to the ball is silly, because the man you are pulling and dragging out of only has eyes for the ball, and he will always steal a march on you as he is looking at flight of ball.
    I would simply push off the man, go fucck off and concentrate on winning and attacking that ball when it's played in. It's a bit zonal .

The highlighted are the only ones I would keep although I would give Markovic a fair run next season and I don't think Sturridge will ever get to full fitness again.

2012-13

2013-14

2014-15

2015-16

Unrealistic to get rid of that many players. Why not live in reality and contemplate what might actually happen instead of living in a fantasy land where we bring in 14 world class players...

Why anyone would want a good squad player like Joe Allen replaced is beyond me. If he was starting every week then fine but as a player to come in and do a job he's as good as we can aim for imo. Even if we bring in another cb i'd hold on to Lovren. We can't afford to buy 2.

• Advertisement

NukaCola wrote: »
    I never heard that he said he was ready 4 weeks ago?

He twitted
    ''Perfect gift for Christmas from the boys getting a win. On a sidenote I'm back training and good to go!!''

Klopp set him straight though. No games, continue to train regardless of fact you're not injured''

At least it's how I saw it.

Is he injured now
    I have no idea.

New stand V Current stand
    zujmgz.jpg

My view
    wimic.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

All day long :).
    He is the opposite to what we need, we are lacking pace, someone to play on the shoulder of defenders that has a good work rate, to close players down from the front.
    I seriously thought you were taking the piss with that suggestion:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Am I the only one who thought it was a decent performance today? We were toothless up front but I thought we passed the ball well and there was great intensity throughout the team.

There just isn't enough goals in the team. I'd be happy if Lallana never played for the club again - he's part of a front three but when was the last time he scored? He must be the least threatening attacking player in the league. Check his stats here: http://www.espnfc.us/player/85472/adam-lallana

We defended pretty well throughout, apart from the goal which was awful. Four players sucked into the ball leaving Rooney free. And then Mignolet decided to drop to the ground for no apparent reason.

It's a hard result to swallow as we were by far the better team. We can safely say that fourth is definitely not going to happen now anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

He twitted
    ''Perfect gift for Christmas from the boys getting a win. On a sidenote I'm back training and good to go!!''

Klopp set him straight though. No games, continue to train regardless of fact you're not injured''

At least it's how I saw it.

Is he injured now
    I have no idea.

I think Klopp is sick of the injuries. In one of the pre match games he was asked if Sturridge is fit, he flat out said no. If be knew when he'd be back he just said no.

Im not sure if Sturridge is actually injured or if its a mental block. Has anyone ever been this unfortunate with injuries?

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Set pieces. We defended really well in open play today.
    I thought this too, Toure and Sakho along with Lucas did pretty well today apart from when four players went for the same ball for their goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Klopps post match press conference was rather disquieting with regard to the striker obfuscation on his part.

Sitting behind the Sky camera you can see how live it is.

One stage Klopp was on the tv giving an Interview while on the pitch :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭B17G

SlickRic wrote: »

An absolute disgrace.

If it's accurate, lfchistory.net provides a breakdown under BR.

Spent: £292,050,000

http://www.lfchistory.net/Transfers/ByManager/25-1

Earned on sales: £200,720,000

http://www.lfchistory.net/Transfers/ByManager/25-0

net spend is pretty decent then!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

2012-13

2013-14

2014-15

2015-16
    Ings £?

I'd agree with that apart from Joe Allen cos as everyone knows,I love him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

I'd also keep Mignolet as backup even though i hate him......i'd keep Lovren/Lallana/Markovic also as squad players even though I dont particularly like them either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Vicxas wrote: »
    I think Klopp is sick of the injuries. In one of the pre match games he was asked if Sturridge is fit, he flat out said no. If be knew when he'd be back he just said no.

Im not sure if Sturridge is actually injured or if its a mental block. Has anyone ever been this unfortunate with injuries?

I'm probably being a bit mean saying this, but how can anyone be as injury-prone as Sturridge is? It's an absolute disgrace at this stage and while it's probably fairer to feel sorry for him, I can't help but think he's just a lazy ****e.

Klopp said in one of the conferences that he needs to distinguish different types of pain and he's spot on. Athletes are rarely, if ever, 100% injury free and even then there's loads of examples of them playing through pain because they want to win so bad.

It's getting to that stage now where I'd tell him to man the f*ck up and play. He's probably the most frustrating player in the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

BR built a new squad basically with a decent net spend, it just lacks quality IMO.

Add 3/4 quality players and not rely so much on average players for goals and Klopps job gets a bit easier.

His contract is coming to an end 1 year left and I can see wanting to be more than a squad player and he is better than that just not good enough for what we need as a first choice starter week in week out.

I will wish him well when he does leave.

I'm probably being a bit mean saying this, but how can anyone be as injury-prone as Sturridge is? It's an absolute disgrace at this stage and while it's probably fairer to feel sorry for him, I can't help but think he's just a lazy ****e.

Klopp said in one of the conferences that he needs to distinguish different types of pain and he's spot on. Athletes are rarely, if ever, 100% injury free and even then there's loads of examples of them playing through pain because they want to win so bad.

It's getting to that stage now where I'd tell him to man the f*ck up and play. He's probably the most frustrating player in the squad.

It's only frustrating because he is by far our best attacker, you don't hear as many people complain about Rossiters injuries because they have not affected the first team. Sturridge is not the problem imo, the club are at fault for not having an adequate back-up, its not like Sturridges injuries are a new thing. Do we sell Ings and Origi for missing more games than they have played? If we bought a top striker that suited the way the team plays instead of the likes of Balotelli, Lambert and Benteke, we would not have to worry about how fit Sturridge is.

His contract is coming to an end 1 year left and I can see wanting to be more than a squad player and he is better than that just not good enough for what we need as a first choice starter week in week out.

I think he'd stick around as a squad player and i'd defo give him a new contract. He's played pretty well every chance he's gotten this year. Would like to see him against Exeter.

I think he'd stick around as a squad player and i'd defo give him a new contract. He's played pretty well every chance he's gotten this year. Would like to see him against Exeter.

I'd have him in the team over Lallana week in week out. I do think he would want more the squad football at his age and if Swansea stay up I could see him heading back there in the summer.

MOTD was fun
    It was like a Liverpool tribute video
    All Liverpool chance after chance

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Not if you take Sterlings and Suarez out of the equation, neither were BR signings iirc.

Ye are missing a couple of players atm, look at the squad Chelsea have and the position they are in.

Ye need a keeper, a centre half and a striker, maybe a winger. Sturridge when fit is fantastic but that's the problem with him and if ye can cut yer losses then Ye should get rid, I reckon Klopp has twigged that already.

I said it when Klopp took over, there is the guts of a decent team there but it will take time for Klopp to redress the balance.

Klopp is right, poor decisions in the final third
    Henderson guilty twice
    Simple pass to Can to score, he shoot wide.
    Simple pass to put Milner in, shoots straight at keeper/

Not if you take Sterlings and Suarez out of the equation, neither were BR signings iirc.

Ye are missing a couple of players atm, look at the squad Chelsea have and the position they are in.

Ye need a keeper, a centre half and a striker, maybe a winger. Sturridge when fit is fantastic but that's the problem with him and if ye can cut yer losses then Ye should get rid, I reckon Klopp has twigged that already.

I said it when Klopp took over, there is the guts of a decent team there but it will take time for Klopp to redress the balance.

You're not familiar with our net spend trope I take it? ;)

We all know what we need - a functioning keeper and striker. Sturridge or Origi combined with Firmino would have shredded Utd's back line today....alas....

Still the good news is that van Gaal is safe in his job for the rest of the season after today :)

I'd say we shall be seeing Ward get some time between the sticks starting on Wed, couldn't really land him into a debut v Man Utd imo.

If he plays well on Wed you never know :)

Our centre mids are Henderson, Lucas, Can, Allen, Milner. It's an area that needs improving so who's are the bottom of that list to drop out?

Same goes for centre backs. Skrtel, Lovren, Sakho, Toure. Who goes along with Kolo? IMO the 4 of them are not good enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Still the good news is that van Gaal is safe in his job for the rest of the season after today :)

We should never forget what is most important to Liverpool fans I suppose :D

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,642 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Augeo wrote: »
    I'd say we shall be seeing Ward get some time between the sticks starting on Wed, couldn't really land him into a debut v Man Utd imo.

If he plays well on Wed you never know :)

Don't think he's eligible, as he wasn't at the club for drawn game, but could be wrong on that.
    LOL at mignolet for goal today... ON his hole twice and nowhere near getting to the ball..... wouldn't stop cows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Anyone at the game today ? How's the building work going?

I have to say the pitch looked even worse than more today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

You're not familiar with our net spend trope I take it? ;)

We all know what we need - a functioning keeper and striker. Sturridge or Origi combined with Firmino would have shredded Utd's back line today....alas....

In joke re net spend I presume?

/whoosh

Aye, it's unlikely we are going to see him go, at least until 4th is mathematically impossible. Tbh id be very surprised if we do get top 4. Leicester are still tipping away, Spurs are playing good stuff too, it's gonna take a massive upswing in our performances and a drop in those above, one may be possible but both, I'm not so sure. Anyway, I will leave it there, wrong thread etc.

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Anyone at the game today ? How's the building work going?

I have to say the pitch looked even worse than more today.

See post 1573

Our centre mids are Henderson, Lucas, Can, Allen, Milner. It's an area that needs improving so who's are the bottom of that list to drop out?

Same goes for centre backs. Skrtel, Lovren, Sakho, Toure. Who goes along with Kolo? IMO the 4 of them are not good enough

Our mids are ok. Nothing special (bar maybe Can in time) and i'd LOVE a top level player there but we have more pressing needs. We really really really badly need a keeper and a winger. A striker as well realistically. For the cbs i'm happy with sakho, Lovren, Kolo and Gomez being the options next year. Ideal? Nope but we can't fix everything in one summer.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement