Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 15/16

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I'm probably being a bit mean saying this, but how can anyone be as injury-prone as Sturridge is? It's an absolute disgrace at this stage and while it's probably fairer to feel sorry for him, I can't help but think he's just a lazy ****e.

Klopp said in one of the conferences that he needs to distinguish different types of pain and he's spot on. Athletes are rarely, if ever, 100% injury free and even then there's loads of examples of them playing through pain because they want to win so bad.

It's getting to that stage now where I'd tell him to man the f*ck up and play. He's probably the most frustrating player in the squad.

Not harsh at all. I know everyone makes fun of Mr. H and that 'injury prone' comment but he was right. Sturridge isn't injury prone, injured is his natural state and he's prone to the occasional bout of fitness.

If Benteke could even do the basics right nobody would be giving him a second thought. Hopefully it's something Klopp can address in the summer and move both of them on. Would also be great if he could ban Mr. Glass from the stadium until he's ready to make an appearance on the pitch, sick seeing him laughing and joking with his entourage in the stands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

For Shane Long fans, apparently they've turn down an £8m bid from us tonight, accordingly to several sauces in Twitter. Make of it what you will

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

flanzer wrote: »
    For Shane Long fans, apparently they've turn down an £8m bid from us tonight, accordingly to several sauces in Twitter. Make of it what you will

If we sign him i'd be so upset... he's nowhere near what we should be looking for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    If we sign him i'd be so upset... he's nowhere near what we should be looking for.

If we do, the transfer committee is still alive and well. They must have such low self esteem of themselves, that they still default back to Southampton looking for players

If we do, the transfer committee is still alive and well. They must have such low self esteem of themselves, that they still default back to Southampton looking for players

I can't believe that its something we could want... i guess 8million is peanuts but its exactly the kind of small time thinking we need to avoid now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Not harsh at all. I know everyone makes fun of Mr. H and that 'injury prone' comment but he was right. Sturridge isn't injury prone, injured is his natural state and he's prone to the occasional bout of fitness.

If Benteke could even do the basics right nobody would be giving him a second thought. Hopefully it's something Klopp can address in the summer and move both of them on. Would also be great if he could ban Mr. Glass from the stadium until he's ready to make an appearance on the pitch, sick seeing him laughing and joking with his entourage in the stands.

Yeah, the 13/14 season is starting to look like an aberration rather than the standard we would like to have him play at.

I'm not sure if I think he should be sold but we do need a striker with a bit of pace and desire to run in behind and stretch defences.

The big question is who do we buy for the 55% of the time Sturridge is missing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Well that was a bad trip :(, again their keeper keeps them in it, and well Liverpool can't defend.

Same for me and deja vu to last year. I arrive full of optimism but leave anfield deflated.
    One shot on target and they score from it. If we just had Sturridge or another striker available to take those chances. I know benteke was probably an option to start today but either Klopp don't rate/trust him enough or he thought Firmino would do it.

It pained to watch the Utd fans in full voice goading us in our own back yard, but I'll say this for sure that's the worst Utd team in years and such negative dog sh1te football they play.

Their outball all day was to Fellaini and he did his job.

C'est la vie :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Firmino looks the real deal
    Getting consistent now
    Hope it continues

Could have been 5 on another day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I wonder if the United players in the crowd joined in some of the other chants they had going during the game

I wonder if the United players in the crowd joined in some of the other chants they had going during the game

In fairness they keep saying "jones loving the chants" but he looks like he's doing everything in his power to not get filmed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Same for me and deja vu to last year. I arrive full of optimism but leave anfield deflated.
    One shot on target and they score from it. If we just had Sturridge or another striker available to take those chances. I know benteke was probably an option to start today but either Klopp don't rate/trust him enough or he thought Firmino would do it.

It pained to watch the Utd fans in full voice goading us in our own back yard, but I'll say this for sure that's the worst Utd team in years and such negative dog sh1te football they play.

Their outball all day was to Fellaini and he did his job.

C'est la vie :(

Fecking worst thing is I now have to contact the club tomorrow as my membership card did not work and they took it off me.

Good job i did not make plans to go on Wednesday night

• Pyjamarama wrote: »

Nothing wrong with Shane Long and 8 million would be a great bargain IMO

He would actually suit Liverpools current setup considering he's got some real pace

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with Shane Long and 8 million would be a great bargain IMO

He would actually suit Liverpools current setup considering he's got some real pace

Yeah we should totally sign players who our rival fans suggest. Shane Long is a limited player who doesn't score many goals. We need someone to score goals or not sign anyone at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

While I don't believe Shane long is the answer - far from it - I do think he has a great work rate and pace. He would run in behind defences at least and create space. Would rather see him come on than benteke with the way we play. And that's not an endorsement for Shane long!

We so badly need Origi or ings fit.

• Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Yeah we should totally sign players who our rival fans suggest. Shane Long is a limited player who doesn't score many goals. We need someone to score goals or not sign anyone at all.

When do rival fans have an impact on who you should sign?!

I repeat he would actually be a good purchase especially at that price

Benteke is not suited to the way Klopp wants Liverpool to play but Shane Long has shown he has some great pace and could be used as a through-ball outlet. He has a knack of getting in behind the defence

Might be limited to the amount of goals he scores but could open up more opportunites for you when the ball breaks down

I would always wish him well considering I want him to be in flying form for the euros in the summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I'm not sure if the FA will allow it but it's worth a try.

https://twitter.com/TheAnfieldWrap/status/688868622480076800

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

no corners?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

SlickRic wrote: »
    £300m since Rodgers took over. I read that today.

An absolute disgrace.
    net spend is pretty decent then!

Our net spend is lob sided because of the Suarez and Sterling sales which totalled £115m. The TC really do have a lot to answer for having overpaid for a lot of dross. Watching Lallana today it is unreal to think we paid £25m for him.

John Henry must be furious at the wastage in the transfer market. But he is going to have to back Klopp and dig even deeper this summer and this time we dont have a Suarex or Sterling to sell so it is going to be one costly summer for him. Thank god we have an extra 10,000 capacity at Anfield next season to offset that. We'll also have more TV money but so too will every club so tranfer inflation could reach eyewatering levels. I can only hope Klopp is scouring Europe for players because there won't be any value in the PL this summer.
    Augeo wrote: »
    I'd say we shall be seeing Ward get some time between the sticks starting on Wed, couldn't really land him into a debut v Man Utd imo.

If he plays well on Wed you never know :)

I want to see Mig dropped too. Both the Arsenal game and todays match were winnable for us and with a better keeper we might have had 6 points. Instead we have one :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

We will already have 5 players for next year...gomez,ings,matip,markovic,grujic. We have the best manager we could possibly get. This season he is giving the current players a chance prove themselves or enough rope to hang themselves.
    Either way the two signings so far would suggest the already identified issues in the cb and goal scoring midfield position.also both players are meant to be big physically..which bodes well for the way klopp is thinking as currently there are too many posers n our team.
    I think toure,Enrique,ilori,wisdom,allen/lucas,ballotelli,benteke will all be turned loose in the summer.
    I think klopp will get a quality keeper,at least one pacey quality goal scoring winger,and a fast hard working,channel running goal scorer.
    Example stegen for the goals,vardy for the striker,and the Bilbao chap as the forward winger....fairly sure klopp has a few ideas on who he can get without spending a fortune

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Bowlardo wrote: »
    We will already have 5 players for next year...gomez,ings,matip,markovic,grujic.

Example stegen for the goals,vardy for the striker,and the Bilbao chap as the forward winger....fairly sure klopp has a few ideas on who he can get without spending a fortune

Must be some good stuff floating around your way!

:)

After hearing the Brendan rogers interview klopp doesn't have a chance :( what can you possibly do when you identify a player but a team of yes men appointed by a bunch of yanks just say no. The sooner henry sells the club the better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

After hearing the Brendan rogers interview klopp doesn't have a chance :( what can you possibly do when you identify a player but a team of yes men appointed by a bunch of yanks just say no. The sooner henry sells the club the better

When he was the manager he said he had final say. No player was bought or sold without his approval.

Now he's not the manager it was all somebody elses fault.

He can't have it both ways and he's coming across very weak by saying he was just doing what the owners asked with regards to Balotelli.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Not harsh at all. I know everyone makes fun of Mr. H and that 'injury comment but he was right. Sturridge isn't injury prone, injured is his natural state and he's prone to the occasional bout of fitness.

Aww poor you having to endure seeing Sturridge in the stands, you have the sympathy of the parish. Hopefully you'll get over it soon enough., I wouldn't wish that on any man. #prayforturd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I can't believe that its something we could want... i guess 8million is peanuts but its exactly the kind of small time thinking we need to avoid now.

Swap Benteke for Long plus a few beans... Brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

You know the "yanks" aren't there to ensure we fail, right?

Far worse owners out there. Frankly, I'm not sure how much I'd have trusted giving Rodgers free reign anyway...Klopp is a different matter. I really don't see him to be a guy to be bullied by anyone, transfer committee or otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

While I would also be against the signing and would even be surprised if there were any truth to those rumours, it can't be denied that Long is very much a Klopp type player in terms of application and pressing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Klopp puts on an emergency loaned centre-half as striker to chase a result. Shane Long is at least an improvement on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I understand everyone who says Long would be an improvement. He would be. As ush said, we've brought on Caulker twice to play up front.

But there is no way I would sign Long unless it was another Loan deal. Whether it be 8 million, 15 million or 20 million, it doesn't matter. That money is a complete waste on a player who does not score enough goals and is well beyond realistically improving.

Long would be the very definition of a panic signing. We need to sign someone who we expect to start in the team for the next 3-4 years not just the next 5 months.

Edit: Also just to add, we already have Ings. Ings is as good as Shane Long currently. So we really need to look at a top quality striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

dogbert27 wrote: »
    When he was the manager he said he had final say. No player was bought or sold without his approval.

Now he's not the manager it was all somebody elses fault.

He can't have it both ways and he's coming across very weak by saying he was just doing what the owners asked with regards to Balotelli.

He's hardly going to criticise the owners when he's in the job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

He's essentially blaming the owners for him losing his job.

What I'd like to hear him say is how he screwed things up. How he made a balls of the CL campaign. How he made a mess of the Sterling situation.

He's taking no accountability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Did we actually bid for long... Mother of god

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

The main problem with the transfer committee was not the poor quality of recommendations. It was the power struggle between manager and committee that meant the likes of Sakho, Can, Markovic and Moreno were marginalised, and the likes of Lovren, Lallana etc persisted with.

If a manager is happy to work within the system, and isn't trying to score points or wrest control away, then a lot of the problems disappear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Shane Long has 43 goals in 5 years.......if the rumours are true, we've gone from someone who doesn't contribute enough but scores goals to someone who'll run himself into the ground but doesn't score enough........both being limited in what they do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Benteke/Long could be your classic BigMan/SmallMan routine.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭S. Goodspeed

Rafa did but Rafa had integrity. Brendan, for all his qualities, was and is just full of sound bites.

Also, with BR's interview on the TC, its not crazy to think the owners would try and help a manager with one season of top flight management under his belt with multimillion pound deals in which he has no experience in. BR wouldn't work under a DOF, this was the compromise. If he didn't like it why didn't he look to get rid when he signed a new contract? He had a big chance to do that when we finished second.

The TC doesn't sound ideal either it must be said though.

Benteke/Long could be your classic BigMan/SmallMan routine.

I dont know why, but that sounds so depressing to me.....

Its called standing up for what you believe in. If its not working and you will be blamed why take the fall for it? He's obviously not going to criticise the owners in public but at no point did he say he refused to work with the TC to the owners.

The alternative he chose was play some weird power play in which the team suffers more and you have midfielders playing CB and RB, Wingers playing WB, poor performers being played constantly and good players not getting game time.

NukaCola wrote: »
    I dont know why, but that is sound so depressing to me.....

That's his angle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

NukaCola wrote: »
    I dont know why, but that is sound so depressing to me.....
    Kept Sunderland up!

• Advertisement

Kept Sunderland up!

:pac:

The main problem with the transfer committee was not the poor quality of recommendations. It was the power struggle between manager and committee that meant the likes of Sakho, Can, Markovic and Moreno were marginalised, and the likes of Lovren, Lallana etc persisted with.

If a manager is happy to work within the system, and isn't trying to score points or wrest control away, then a lot of the problems disappear.

Spot on. His stubbornness stopped him from giving plenty of players a fair chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

very depressing if its true we are after Long.

MD1990 wrote: »
    very depressing if its true we are after Long.

Apparently we are only buying him because of de pressing...... :osorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

When will the owners realise this tc has been a massive failure and scrap it ? They went out of their way to get klopp in and i will be disgusted if they dont give him the proper backing he deserves in the transfer window.

He should be given roughly 100 million to spend for this window and the summer including the money from player sales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Let me get this right.

We spent £32.5M on a striker only 6 months ago, and now we're looking to replace him with an older, inferior player who would have a very similar playing style.

How do we end up getting transfers so hopelessly wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

I could barely listen to Rodgers when he was our manager, I'm sure as **** not going to listen to him now.

While I'm sure he can feel agrieved for not being able to get the players he wanted, the players he did want (and got) haven't exactly set the world alight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Let me get this right.

We spent £32.5M on a striker only 6 months ago, and now we're looking to replace him with an older, inferior player who would have a very similar playing style.

Benteke and long have simillar playing styles ????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Let me get this right.

Have you ever seen Benteke and Long play? There are very few (if any!) similarities in playing style!!

I don't want to sign Long. It would be a bad signing in every sense - I can't see any logic to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

ricero wrote: »
    Benteke and long have simillar playing styles ????
    I would have said so. Both are used to target-men type roles, both like to hold the ball up, both like to play with their back to goal. Benteke seems to be out of favour with Klopp primarily because of his work rate. Obviously long is different in this regard, but in general I see more similarities than differences between the two.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement