Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 15/16

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

dogbert27 wrote: »
    When he was the manager he said he had final say. No player was bought or sold without his approval.

Now he's not the manager it was all somebody elses fault.

He can't have it both ways and he's coming across very weak by saying he was just doing what the owners asked with regards to Balotelli.
    Well in fairness to Rodgers, his story does match what Gerrard said in his book.
    In my last season, Brendan Rodgers came to me at Melwood one day in mid-August. We had a chat on the training pitch. He said, ‘You know we’ve missed out on a couple of signings. I’m basically left with no option but to have a bit of a gamble.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3233032/Steven-Gerrard-reveals-ran-rule-new-Liverpool-signing-training-session-Xabi-Alonso-El-Hadji-Diouf-Luis-Suarez-Mario-Balotelli.html#ixzz3xagHNpSD
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

When he was the manager he said he had final say. No player was bought or sold without his approval.

He can't have it both ways and he's coming across very weak by saying he was just doing what the owners asked with regards to Balotelli.

No he said if he wanted say a left back the transfer commitee would bring a list of 4 young players for the most part and even if he thought all of them were terrible he has to pick one, that's farcical stuff. I thought he came across very well tbh, didn't say anything negative directly about the club.

The clearly don't want to spend any money at all and think they can replicate what Wenger has done, any money we have spent has mostly been from player sales

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

This should be the transfer committee.

JS74927460.jpg

Cheer up lads! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

I thought Rodgers came across quite well.

The way I took it is he came out with a list of who he wanted. If the player wasn't available/interested, then he would be provided with alternatives. He said it was better to have someone than no one in the position, hence the players bought. (I wonder if Im reading too much into it that he chose left-back to illustrate this method of working - given how he treated and spoke about Moreno after, can we assume that he never wanted him? Or am I reading too much into it?)

He seemed to shirk responsibility with Balotelli a little ("the owners thought it was a £50m player we could get for £16m") but it's not like what he is saying is unreasonable/unrealistic, I would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭slingerz

I would have said so. Both are used to target-men type roles, both like to hold the ball up, both like to play with their back to goal. Benteke seems to be out of favour with Klopp primarily because of his work rate. Obviously long is different in this regard, but in general I see more similarities than differences between the two.

Long has pace though which Benteke doesnt. That and workrate makes him a very different type of player. Pace is badly missing for the Liverpool forward line since losing Sterling to Man City

• Advertisement

Jerome Sinclair is off this summer according to the BBC

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/35342040

LOAN WATCH

Lloyd Jones (Blackpool) - injured
    Vigouroux, Williams, (Swindon Town) - Vig full game in 4-3 win, Williams injured
    Wisdom (Norwich) - unused sub in 0-3 defeat
    Markovic (Fenerbache) - came on a HT and set up RVP for a goal in Turkish Cup tie
    Samed Yesil (Lucerne) Winter break
    Taiwo (FSV Frankfurt) - not in squad
    Sergi Canos (Brentford) - started game played 46 mins in 1-3 defeat
    Balotelli (Milan) back! in a win!!
    Alberto (Deportivo) started game scored goal played 82 minutes in 1-1 draw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

No he said if he wanted say a left back the transfer commitee would bring a list of 4 young players for the most part and even if he thought all of them were terrible he has to pick one, that's farcical stuff. I thought he came across very well tbh, didn't say anything negative directly about the club.

The clearly don't want to spend any money at all and think they can replicate what Wenger has done, any money we have spent has mostly been from player sales

At the risk of starting a net spend debate, can you prove this? It comes up regularly enough and every time it gets shot down. IIRC the club has routinely spent more on players than it's taken in under FSG.

Breaking News did a piece where they have linked players to Liverpool XI

Mandanda, Caerces, Matip, Subotic, Chilwell, Gundogan, Kroos, Xhaka, Gotze, Aubeymang, Sane

I dont see Gundogan, Kroos, Gotze, Aubeymang as being realistic at all. I think Sane and Xhaka are even stretching realism

The 3 midfielders of Gundogan, Kroos and Xhaka would be something else though

This should be the transfer committee.

JS74927460.jpg

Cheer up lads! :p

174559986_3086349.jpg

Jordan Sinclair is off this summer according to the BBC

You mean Jerome!

Does anyone want to take a guess at who is Sinclair's agent?

• Advertisement

Jordan Sinclair is off this summer according to the BBC

This has looked like the case for a while. Aidy Ward is his agent for one, but he has also gotten very few opportunities in comparison to some of his peers. This is either because he's not good enough, or because the management don't fancy him really.
    slingerz wrote: »
    Breaking News did a piece where they have linked players to Liverpool XI

Mandanda, Caerces, Matip, Subotic, Chilwell, Gundogan, Kroos, Xhaka, Gotze, Aubeymang, Sane

I dont see Gundogan, Kroos, Gotze, Aubeymang as being realistic at all. I think Sane and Xhaka are even stretching realism

The 3 midfielders of Gundogan, Kroos and Xhaka would be something else though

I reckon Matip will be the only one of those to sign.

Would love to see any of Gundogan, Kroos or Xhaka, but I don't see it happening at all.

I reckon Matip will be the only one of those to sign.

Would love to see any of Gundogan, Kroos or Xhaka, but I don't see it happening at all.

I reckon Chilwell could be possible from Leicester alright.

I'd say it would be close to £300M for that lot you'd be talking £40M each for 5 of them anyway

You mean Jerome!

Does anyone want to take a guess at who is Sinclair's agent?

Funny that he wants a move to Spain, where any tribunal fee would be nominal to say the least, meaning a bigger signing-on fee.

Apart from being to the detriment of the club, it's really sad to see a young player with so much potential getting such awful advice. Imagine telling a 19 year-old striker that he should be looking to move elsewhere when he's at a club crying out for goals and managed by one of the best coaches in world football. He's already played and scored for the first team and would be on the verge of a regular spot. Tragic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Sappy404 wrote: »
    Funny that he wants a move to Spain, where any tribunal fee would be nominal to say the least, meaning a bigger signing-on fee.

Apart from being to the detriment of the club, it's really sad to see a young player with so much potential getting such awful advice. Imagine telling a 19 year-old striker that he should be looking to move elsewhere when he's at a club crying out for goals and managed by one of the best coaches in world football. He's already played and scored for the first team and would be on the verge of a regular spot. Tragic.

He wont be the first or last unfortunately.....

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I saw a thing on twitter that said since the start of last season we have played 60 league games, scored 77 and conceded 76. That's awful at both ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Well he might have looked at the last two games where we needed a goal and instead of bringing on a young lad like teixeria or smith, our manager brought on an on-loan centre back to play up top. Or the fact that we're in the market for a 28year old from Southampton . Or he's seen, despite needing goals, our 32m signing, who is also our top goalscorer, is getting 10-15 minutes every game. And maybe the fact that Sturridge, Ings and Origi are ahead of him in the pecking order also. He might have thought at 19 he needs to be playing football. Cant blame him for that.

Apart from being to the detriment of the club, it's really sad to see a young player with so much potential getting such awful advice.
    Not sure if you know it, but Aidy Ward is Sinclair's agent and is dispensing this advice :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

We need to stop buying (politically correct) short arses and buy a few more athletic 6fter's not afraid to get stuck in to a tackle and throw their weight around.

Signed Grujic 6ft3

On loan Caulker 6ft3

Linked Matip 6ft4

That a good start for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Or the fact that we're in the market for a 28year old from Southampton.

According to who though? Is it only twitter rumblings or is anyone of any substance saying this?

What?

- English players should absolutely look to move abroad. It's half the problem with the English game that so many stay at clubs where they don't play rather than look for alternatives abroad.

- We are crying out for goals and he still isn't getting into the team. He's far from "on the verge" I would say. He played against Exeter but has he even been named on the bench otherwise?

- I'm no fan of Aidy Ward and LFC will likely lose out in this situation, but this seems to be a player getting the right advice for his playing career for once. Sinclair is at an age where he has to start getting game time (not every week - he is just 19) and there is no evidence he'll get that at Liverpool. Gambling on a move to a lower-end La Liga club where he will get sub appearances and first team opportunities is far more beneficial than accepting his place as ... 6th choice at a club that plays one striker? Benteke, Origi, Ings, Sturridge and Firmino are all ahead when fit.

• Advertisement

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Well he might have looked at the last two games where we needed a goal and instead of bringing on a young lad like teixeria or smith, our manager brought on an on-loan centre back to play up top. Or the fact that we're in the market for a 28year old from Southampton . Or he's seen, despite needing goals, our 32m signing, who is also our top goalscorer, is getting 10-15 minutes every game. And maybe the fact that Sturridge, Ings and Origi are ahead of him in the pecking order also. He might have thought at 19 he needs to be playing football. Cant blame him for that.

He'd get more playing time at Liverpool if he signed a deal. It's a bit of a chicken and egg situation. It's hard to imagine his development over the next couple of years being any better playing sporadically under the likes of Allardyce or Pulis than it would proving yourself to Klopp now and giving him something to think about over the summer.

He'd even be better off signing a long-term deal and going out on loan for a spell. Certainly it means less money for him in the short-term, but you'd like to think that a player of 19 years might prioritise his long-term development over a quick earner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

What?

- English players should absolutely look to move abroad. It's half the problem with the English game that so many stay at clubs where they don't play rather than look for alternatives abroad.

Is it not case of foreign clubs showing no interest due to them being speed and strength based rather than being technically sound?

Bale aside when was the last time a British player was seriously linked with a foreign team?

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Is it not case of foreign clubs showing no interest due to them being speed and strength based rather than being technically sound?

Bale aside when was the last time a British player was seriously linked with a foreign team?

That may well be part of it too. Can't say for certain, I'm no scout...

A lot of it comes down to the players and their representation. Michael Mancienne was very vocal about this when he left Chelsea for Hamburg. He said that his agent had just been sounding out English clubs to no avail initially. When he told his agent to widen the field and alert foreign sides to his availability, they made the move. Oftentimes, it comes down to establishing that link.

Off the top of my head, I remember Ings being consistently linked with Spanish sides but I do see your point. That said, links aren't always the best measure of interest are they?

English coaches, players and managers don't tend to leave the UK - they should endeavor to change this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

So to sum up yesterday :

Rodgers confirms that some of the signings were not his.

30m striker left on the bench. Loads of chances missed. Then brought on after the granny shagger scores.

At this point we appear to be more interested in the corporate side of things. Getting in the sponsorship. Making sure the cash keeps rolling in.

It is like watching Ireland play.

NukaCola wrote: »
    According to who though? Is it only twitter rumblings or is anyone of any substance saying this?

hopefully this is true
    Press Association: Simon Peach ‏@SimonPeach · 2 hrs2 hours ago
    Despite reports of an £8million bid, I am led to believe #LFC have not been in contact with #SaintsFC about Shane Long

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I take the Long reports about as seriously as do Baldy's posts.

It'll be grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,668 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

ebbsy wrote: »
    So to sum up yesterday :

Rodgers confirms that some of the signings were not his.

30m striker left on the bench. Loads of chances missed. Then brought on after the granny shagger scores.

At this point we appear to be more interested in the corporate side of things. Getting in the sponsorship. Making sure the cash keeps rolling in.

It is like watching Ireland play.

Considering Klopp picked the team, it's difficult to see why this would be of interest. Or how.

If Spurs and UNited both get top 4 and we don't, it'll be a while before we catch up (unless we go mad in the next window, but even then, can we attract the targets?)

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

It depends on your perspective.

Financially speaking, moving abroad is about the worst thing a promising English player could do. You see decent and unspectacular young players in England who are just out of the academy with only 10 games under their belt who are getting £30k a week contracts. If such a player was to go to the likes of Sevilla, Leverkusen, or Lazio (not small clubs by any means) then they'd be doing well to get half that.

That is why I would put money on the likes of Sinclair remaining in England. With money man Aidy Ward at the helm, some English team will be more than happy to bring him in on a free on a nice £30k a week contract, despite the fact he's done thing to justify that money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

I'm going out on a limb and predicting top 4 as is and sturridge firing us to europa league glory

• Advertisement

It depends on your perspective.

Financially speaking, moving abroad is about the worst thing a promising English player could do. You see decent and unspectacular young players in England who are just out of the academy with only 10 games under their belt who are getting £30k a week contracts. If such a player was to go to the likes of Sevilla, Leverkusen, or Lazio (not small clubs by any means) then they'd be doing well to get half that.

This is true (and adds to the nonsense that the move abroad is for a big payday over development...)

It's about weighing up the risk, though, isn't it? For e.g., 3 years with no game time at Liverpool, stalled development and a nice wage, followed by petering out and sliding down the league vs taking a (risky) move abroad on less money but developing to a higher standard and moving back to the UK with a higher level club for a longer period.

Admittedly, these are a best and worst case scenario, but it illustrates the point.

There's no guarantee Sinclair (or any young player) would get game time abroad, but in this instance, he isn't getting it at Liverpool, so it is logical to look IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

mightyreds wrote: »
    I'm going out on a limb and predicting top 4 as is and sturridge firing us to europa league glory

Just go for the Europa League and get into the Champions League next season that way :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Considering Klopp picked the team, it's difficult to see why this would be of interest. Or how.

If Spurs and UNited both get top 4 and we don't, it'll be a while before we catch up (unless we go mad in the next window, but even then, can we attract the targets?)

We w'ont be in the top 4, or anywhere near it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

I dont know why, but that sounds so depressing to me.....

It could be because of Blue Monday, but more likely it's because Sam Allardyce would be content with that strike-force... not overly enthused perhaps, but content.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

That may well be part of it too. Can't say for certain, I'm no scout...

A lot of it comes down to the players and their representation. Michael Mancienne was very vocal about this when he left Chelsea for Hamburg. He said that his agent had just been sounding out English clubs to no avail initially. When he told his agent to widen the field and alert foreign sides to his availability, they made the move. Oftentimes, it comes down to establishing that link.

Off the top of my head, I remember Ings being consistently linked with Spanish sides but I do see your point. That said, links aren't always the best measure of interest are they?

English coaches, players and managers don't tend to leave the UK - they should endeavor to change this.

I agree with your last point, they should look to move abroad, and if the English FA continue with their overhaul and shift towards a more technical brand of football it should lead to more players moving abroad in the future.

Also agree that links aren't the best way to measure, but I would find it pretty damning that when Rooney made himself available a few years back the only interest was from City, and last year the only interest was from Chelsea.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    I agree with your last point, they should look to move abroad, and if the English FA continue with their overhaul and shift towards a more technical brand of football it should lead to more players moving abroad in the future.

Also agree that links aren't the best way to measure, but I would find it pretty damning that when Rooney made himself available a few years back the only interest was from City, and last year the only interest was from Chelsea.

£300k a week wages is probably why.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Might or might not be true but it'll make the young lad think...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Can someone who's been to Anfield in recent weeks tell me how Mignolet's communication and so on has looked.

Is he barking out commands, and constantly putting his defenders in correct positions? Because this is something that he never shows on TV, and is arguably even more important than simply shot stopping.

I know Klopp has him being more aggressive in attacking the football from crosses, etc, but if he can't be an authoritative, organisational figure, then I don't understand giving him a contract and sticking with him for the future.

Just go for the Europa League and get into the Champions League next season that way :D
    It's all I've left to cling on to that and maybe a day out for the league cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭GBX

mightyreds wrote: »
    It's all I've left to cling on to that and maybe a day out for the league cup

Dont rate the FA Cup??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

GBX wrote: »
    Dont rate the FA Cup??

If Arsenal keep winning it then I'd imagine the teams don't rate it either.

• Advertisement

Got another game in Wednesday by the way!

FA Cup replay on BT Sport.

just have to hope Exeter don't get too many corners.

Mig
    Randall Kolo Ilori Smith
    Can Allen
    Texeira
    ----Ibe--Ojo--Kent

Ward, Mcguire, Enrique, Milner, Brannagan, Sinclair, Benteke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,949 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I feel like Long would become a bit redundant once Origi gets back to fitness, he'd just be hindering development.

GBX wrote: »

Dont rate the FA Cup??

Another 01 would be terrific, just we are so close to the league cup final and I feel the Europa is the best chance now of a cl spot, that's why I only mentioned the 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

After hearing the Brendan rogers interview klopp doesn't have a chance :( what can you possibly do when you identify a player but a team of yes men appointed by a bunch of yanks just say no. The sooner henry sells the club the better

What an ill informed thing to say.

The TC is not full of yes men, if it was who are they saying yes too? You think John Henry is putting players on the shortlist himself and getting his yes men to go with the one he prefers? Seriously?

In what other industry would responsible people give carte blanch to one individual to spend hundreds of millions of pounds on assets whose value is highly subjective? Giving one guy the authority to identify, place a value on, negotiate the purchase of and agree a multi million multi year deal with is a recipe for financial meltdown and would be completely irresponsible. It's not like we haven't seen how Leeds and Portsmouth ended up.

The TC may not be perfect but it's still better than having blind faith in one man's judgement. Perhaps the managers opinion should carry more weight under the Klopp regime than was the case under Rodgers but either way with the vast sums of money involved these days there is no way one person should ever have total control over transfers.

Also, this is the structure Klopp signed up to, if he's happy with it why should we not be?

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭S. Goodspeed

Got another game in Wednesday by the way!

FA Cup replay on BT Sport.

just have to hope Exeter don't get too many corners.

Mig
    Randall Kolo Ilori Smith
    Can Allen
    Texeira
    ----Ibe--Ojo--Kent

Ward, Mcguire, Enrique, Milner, Brannagan, Sinclair, Benteke

I hope Ward starts. I don't see the point of Mig playing, if there is any chance of Ward replacing him then this is the match to test it out. I'd try to give Can the day off as well if possible.

Really looking forward to seeing the kids play again though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

martyos121 wrote: »
    If Arsenal keep winning it then I'd imagine the teams don't rate it either.

Hopefully that will continue, be nice to get 3 in a row ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Ward can't play in the replay as he wasn't in the squad for the first game as far as I know.

Klopp's reaction to questions on rumoured targets in press conferences has been interesting. He totally shot down the Pato rumours and was very coy on the Matip stuff. It will be interesting to see what he says when he's inevitably asked about Long.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

We need to stop buying (politically correct) short arses and buy a few more athletic 6fter's not afraid to get stuck in to a tackle and throw their weight around.

Signed Grujic 6ft3

On loan Caulker 6ft3

Linked Matip 6ft4

That a good start for me.

'Shakes head' Really sign all the big guys yea? Crouch isn't getting a game at Stoke I guess we could go after him, Barca seem to be doing ok with some small guys that have actual ability rather than a land of the giants team, this is not Basketball!

I'm sorry but I think your suggestion is absurd, I've heard of signing players by stats like goals/asssists but by their height! Oh dear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Klopp's reaction to questions on rumoured targets in press conferences has been interesting. He totally shot down the Pato rumours and was very coy on the Matip stuff. It will be interesting to see what he says when he's inevitably asked about Long.

Personally think Long is a player that Klopp likes. Still a little raw infront of goal but has plenty of energy and will run all night long for him. Reminds me of a few players when they arrived at BVB under Klopps charge.

As for Matip....personally think from watching him live in the BL he will be a flop in England. He isnt hard enough. What Liverpool need is a center half to get stuck in, take control and not a fany footed player. Howedes would be the better option if I was looking for a center half from Schalke.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement