Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 15/16

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Everyone thank this......for headcount purposes obviously.

whore

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Pity it didn't go down on Sunday afternoon. Back just in time thought for boards people to be able to give us their views on us losing to Exeter tonight though. Yay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

5starpool wrote: »
    Pity it didn't go down on Sunday afternoon. Back just in time thought for boards people to be able to give us their views on us losing to Exeter tonight though. Yay.

Tonight is probably the most I've looked forward to a match in ages. I like games that should be a laugh and this seems to be one of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Kev. wrote: »
    Tony Barrett reporting that Sturridge has no chance to be fit against Exeter due to another break in training regime....

There's a bit more to this than we're being told, there has to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Well, I didn't see that coming...

https://twitter.com/AnfieldHQ/status/689575843396452352

Jurgen Klopp tells Christian Benteke he has a future at Liverpool and described him as 'a complete striker'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

A complete striker & a goalkeeper signed to a new 5 year contract you got to love football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Well, I didn't see that coming...

https://twitter.com/AnfieldHQ/status/689575843396452352

Jurgen Klopp tells Christian Benteke he has a future at Liverpool and described him as 'a complete striker'

Would you think doing the opposite would be good management?

corwill wrote: »
    I don't know at this stage but I am starting to get interested in West Hams rumoured offer of £18m:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

It was obvious Benteke was not going to work out from before he was signed. I cant believe the club made that mistake with that type of player again.

Long may not have a very high conversion rate but his style would suit us way, way better. If we could snap him up for £12 - 15M now I'd be all for it.That would also give us to the summer to decide what to do with Sturridge (and Benteke).

Long and Ings would be almost like for like players as cover for each other and their high tempo aggressive pressing and running in behind would give our team of 10's room to maneouvre.

Also, more Irish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Don't get the Long stuff at all. If we had been looking for that kind of player Naismith would have been a better option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Sturridge will be gone in the summer.

Hamann has indicated a lot of it is in his head, backing up what Klopp said.

Time to grow a set or on your bike Daniel

In fairness it's been said about him before Klopp. Gerrard talks about it in his book, how he'd run alongside him at training to pep him up and convince him to play. Suarez was the complete opposite. He'd try to play if his leg fell off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Long would be up there with the potential signings of Lee Bowyer or Darren Bent in signings that would upset me greatly, the other two didn't happen thankfully, this better not either, Long is bang average I don't care if he's Irish.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Would you think doing the opposite would be good management?
    Where did I say that?

I do think that Klopp over egged the pudding by describing him as a complete striker, though.

I imagine a complete striker would be able to adjust his playing style somewhat to cater for the rest of the team.

I have yet to see Benteke even try to play to the rest of the teams strengths.

Lavezzi is out of contract at the end of the season. He would be a greaf signing either for free in the summer of for a nominal fee now. I see Chelsea have supposedly just become interested though :(

Sky reporting Chelsea have verbal agreement on place fot Pato.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

corwill wrote: »
    It really does sound like Klopp has just lost patience with Sturridge.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/swansea-city-contact-liverpool-fc-10762216

It looks like people might get their wish, Joe Allen could be set to return to Swansea, although it'd be more likely to happen in Summer than in this window.

(My) team for tonight

Mignolet
    Smith
    Ilori
    Toure
    Randall
    Allen
    Stewart
    Teixeira
    Kent
    Ojo
    Ibe

Scouse Cafu to come on at after 60 minutes for a run out. Would like to see Chirivella get some game time as well, and Henderson if it's felt he needs match fitness.

• Advertisement

(My) team for tonight

Mignolet
    Smith
    Ilori
    Toure
    Randall
    Allen
    Stewart
    Teixeira
    Kent
    Ojo
    Ibe

Scouse Cafu to come on at after 60 minutes for a run out. Would like to see Chirivella get some game time as well, and Henderson if it's felt he needs match fitness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Would only bring Chirivella on if the game was wrapped up. Had a decent debut but was a liability when he came on in the original game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Bah we're not on BBC tonight.

I don't know at this stage but I am starting to get interested in West Hams rumoured offer of £18m:(

Would snap their hand off, but surely we couldn't pull one over on them again, could we?

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Would snap their hand off, but surely we couldn't pull one over on them again, could we?

Southampton keep doing it to us so anything is possible.

Southampton keep doing it to us so anything is possible.
    Maybe we should just put West Ham and Southampton in touch with each other and we can go off elsewhere and buy players who don't disappear as soon as they sign for us?

Sturridge is costing us £542,000/goal, second only to.........Rooney at £733,000 a goal. #bargain

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/daniel-sturridge-costing-liverpool-more-than-500k-per-goal-as-jurgen-klopp-looks-to-cash-in-34382485.html

• Advertisement

Jaysus, Boards is broken in bits.

Jaysus, Boards is broken in bits.

And it's still in better shape than Sturridge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Joe Allen is Boss.

Seriously though he's playing well further forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Should have scored more, could have conceded 2 or 3. No real change there other than we didn't get punished because it was a League 2 team.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Why doesn't Benteke like attacking the ball? There was a number of opportunities when the ball is in air in the box and he was standing on the edge of the box. Is he waiting for a knock down? Is he just not expecting the ball to be delivered?

Very strange behaviour.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Great to see Flanagan back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Well taken goal by Ojo, he looks a decent prospect

Never watched Benteke for Villa so dunno if his allergy to the 6 yard box was an issue then but he really needs to get in there and stop hanging around the penalty area. It's like he's trying to show that there's more to his game than that. He should concentrate on showing he could do the basic stuff first. Good assist for Tex's goal although I thought he'd delayed the pass too long and Tex had gone offside. Also worrying that this was his 3rd one on one he's missed this season, a top striker is ruthless and puts all 3 of those away.

3 very good goals, and great finishes from Tex and Ojo. Also a good performance from Allen. Still don't see what others do in Flanagan but hopefully he gets some game time and we shift him on in the summer.

Edit: The Invincible Turd strikes back again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,610 ✭✭✭Damien360

brevity wrote: »
    Why doesn't Benteke like attacking the ball? There was a number of opportunities when the ball is in air in the box and he was standing on the edge of the box. Is he waiting for a knock down? Is he just not expecting the ball to be delivered?

Very strange behaviour.

I saw that also. He seems to wait for the ball behind the defender instead of running into space or just attacking the ball.

There was one instance of a high ball and he backed off (he is a big man) like he was afraid of a push. When the midfield attacks centrally he doesn't go wider but stays central facing the ball leaving no options for the attack other than too his feet and back out again.

Very poor play throughout the game. Ibe and Allen outshone him.

3-0 flattered the performance. Good to win but we should have done it last week.

Damien360 wrote: »
    I saw that also. He seems to wait for the ball behind the defender instead of running into space or just attacking the ball.

There was one instance of a high ball and he backed off (he is a big man) like he was afraid of a push. When the midfield attacks centrally he doesn't go wider but stays central facing the ball leaving no options for the attack other than too his feet and back out again.

Very poor play throughout the game. Ibe and Allen outshone him.

3-0 flattered the performance. Good to win but we should have done it last week.

Hardly flattering... If anything Exeter could consider themselves fortunate to have not conceded more.

Oh and while Benteke is getting a lot of flack, I'd just like to say that he was heavily involved in two of our goals.:D

Ok he should've at least had a shot on target at the end but the signs are there that he's trying. I wouldn't give up hope just yet.

The 3-0 win was fair and reflected our quality. Other than one Enrique brain-fart, we completely dominated the game, were tight at the back and created piles of chances. I know it's only Exeter, but for us to do that with a 2nd/3rd string team is highly encouraging. I said in the first leg of this tie, that the young players had a bit of a baptism of fire, but they battled hard and would be wiser from the experience. They went and did exactly that, so kudos are deserved.

I certainly hope that Klopp will give the likes of Ilori, Branagan, Teixeira, Smith, and Ojo some game time in the next round. They absolutely deserve it on merit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Can we not just sell Henderson to Swansea and keep Allen?

Ojo's goal was fantastic, just brilliant.

Some of these players look to be almost coming of age. You wouldnt be ashamed to have Ojo, Teixera or Smith on your subs bench.

I think Klopp is doing the right thing with how he is handling them but looking forward to Smiths league debut anyway. Teixera, if he continues to play well could act as Coutinho's deputy and sub. If Sturridge had anything about him he might have been a role model/ tutor for Ojo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Ojo's goal was fantastic, just brilliant.

I'm after an operation in hospital earlier today and the poor nurses had to practically hold me down...

Tubes going everywhere, lol....

That's what the hospital gets for having the sports channels while I'm recovering - I'm in the Sports Surgery Clinic... :)

If the goals give the young lads a bit of energy and buzz from scoring in Anfield, that will end up like a drug to them, and of course they will want first team action then....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭LFC CONNAUGHTON

Ojo seemed to be setting up to hit it with his right to throw off the defender, even though he's left footed. An advantage of being a relatively unknown youth player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

brevity wrote: »

Very strange behaviour.

If only that was the only complaint about him tonight, that last chance he basically ran over the line with was atrocious. Just shoot.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Some very strange comments from Klopp over the past few days.

Mignolet is 'perfect'.

Benteke is the 'complete' striker.

Rodgers would have been burnt at the stake for such jibberish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

****it, would actually be kind of tempted by an Adebayor loan until summer. Make him think its with an option to buy so he actually tries, then go buy someone decent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

J Mysterio wrote: »

Long may not have a very high conversion rate but his style would suit us way, way better. If we could snap him up for £12 - 15M now I'd be all for it.That would also give us to the summer to decide what to do with Sturridge (and Benteke).

Style wise he's a good fit but quality wise he is way off. I can't even believe Long is part of the conversation. The club has suffered for years now due to its disastrous efforts in the transfer market - Long is not the answer to that.

It would probably be much cheaper for the club to invest in quality players rather than have so many failed mid-level signings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Didn't see the game, how did Illori & Ojo play other than his goal?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

djPSB wrote: »
    Some very strange comments from Klopp over the past few days.

Mignolet is 'perfect'.

Benteke is the 'complete' striker.

Rodgers would have been burnt at the stake for such jibberish.

FFS! This **** still being spouted.

Rodgers is the past, Klopp is the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,886 ✭✭✭✭klose

There really was a ton of positives to be taken from that game, everyone played well in truth. Allen is definitely giving klopp something to think about and Brad smith must be knocking on the door at this stage too, Joao teixeira was again very good in my opinion and I will be pissed off if the club don't iron out the contract issues with him.
    Brannagan and Stewart were extremely tidy as a midfield 2, also goes to show how the quality of a pitch can effect players, ibe ran riot on the wing and whilst unlucky not to score he desperately needs to work on his finishing and crossing, he has everything else in his locker. Benteke, whilst nowhere near as bad as the first leg he really should have had atleast one goal, probably two. Nice assist for Texs goal but it was for me another disappointing performance. Probably worth noting that we ended ended the game like how klopp had his Dortmund team set up with regards to two out and out pacy wingers and a creative 10.
    The 3 subs all done well, good to see flannel back, ojos goal was excellently taken and chirivella was very tidy in the middle of the park also.
    I think klopp will have a bit of thinking to do with for the weekend after last nights performance, I hope some of them get more chances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Fieldog wrote: »
    I'm after an operation in hospital earlier today and the poor nurses had to practically hold me down...

Tubes going everywhere, lol....

That's what the hospital gets for having the sports channels while I'm recovering - I'm in the Sports Surgery Clinic... :)

If the goals give the young lads a bit of energy and buzz from scoring in Anfield, that will end up like a drug to them, and of course they will want first team action then....

Did they put you in beside Sturridge?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

monkey9 wrote: »
    Did they put you in beside Sturridge?

If only someone could Photoshop me in here :

6NWUljP.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement