Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 15/16

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Lads I wouldn't want him back now either but lets not bad mouth him. He left under a cloud but he'd basically been lied to by the upper management for months. I don't buy into the whole "he downed tools" thing. He lacked motivation for sure but most of the squad did and who would blame them given what was going on at the time. He was the best striker in world football for 2 years with us and was a joy to watch, matched only by Luis imo. Watching him DESTROY defences is how i'll remember him, the whole club was a mess when he left and he imo did nothing wrong. He didn't say Chelsea or nobody or anything like that.

I will say it broke my heart when he left and i don't think i'll ever be as emotionally invested in an individual footballer (not even Luis) again. But what a player he was for us when at his peak.

Exactly the same sentiment here, some great memories, great player in his prime, Rafa got the best out of him. only player bar Carra, where his name was on two of my shirts, (did not burn them, but never wore them again) vowed never to put a players name ever again on one of my shirts after Nando and never will.
    was in the states when we were signing him and will always remember in the lead up to constantly checking have we signed him yet, even though he was at the time totally unproven, for some reason everyone at the time was was excited saying how potentially good he could be and so it proved.
    And then there was the song, the Torres bounce :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Everton lose. This weekend gets better and better

Do the league cup winners get a Europa spot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Well people are talking about the bad way he left etc, i don't think he did anything wrong. The club was a total and utter mess at the time.

**** that. I've never forgiven him and laughed long and hard when he failed at Chelsea.

I suppose his return to Athletico did mellow me out a bit.

I didn't have an issue with Torres going to Chelsea. Couldn't have blamed him. The club was in meltdown and he had a chance to play for silverware.

We got serious money for him and completely wasted it on dross.

He wasn't the same player by any stretch by the time he left tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

RoboKlopp wrote: »

Yes.

Unless they have already qualified via league positions (either to the CL or EL), in which case it goes to the highest placed league team not to have previously qualified.

I.e., if Liverpool, Everton or Stoke win it, they'll be in the EL. If City win it, 6th place in PL gets a Europa spot. (as things stand...)

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

England gets 3 automatic EL spots. They are allocated for:

FA Cup winner = group stage qualification
    5th place in the league = last round qualifier
    League Cup winner = 1st qualifying round

This often changes due to CL teams winning cups though which tends to let 6th or even 7th qualify for the EL. The runner of the FA Cup used to inherit the qualification position if the winner had already qualified for Europe, but not the case any more, it filters down the league instead now like the league cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

I really think we have to sort out our GK position first, then see what the defence is like with a decent GK behind them. The dross we have between the sticks has to have an affect on the defence. The must feel like the last one of defence constantly.

If we were to do it again, we would have been better off signing the kid with the beach ball instead of mignolet

We'll have a new number 1 GK next season. I'd be confident of that.

Oh that's an interesting red card development in the Arsenal game. No match thread and I don't want to post in either superthread so ye are stuck with it. Total dive from Costa though of course. Interesting he'd do that rather than try to score. Not surprising though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,538 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

corwill wrote: »
    His next stop is lower La Liga, MSL or Qatar, he's done.

He could do a job for Carrigaline Utd alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Mig has made some incredible saves lately, unfortunately some howlers are overshadowing them.
    I'm nearly certain that the commentary team were given a memo yesterday to target him for any little mistake yesterday, they were pulling some stuff out of thin air. I know he's had is howlers, he should have done better for one of the goals yesterday, but it's sad that the media are forcing themselves to write non-stories.

Agreed, I hate that commentary nowadays follows a narrative, often ignoring what happens in front if them so they can keep going. Drake on BT was tring to blame him for the goal too that Naismith scored, Hoddle went along until he saw the reply and actually spoke more about the quality strike.

This season is so annoying. If we were just a little bit less crap and had 5/6 points more we'd be right in the title race given that everyone else is so awful too, but here we are still highly unlikely to even get close to top 4 given how inconsistent we are.

Given those most likely to win it, using the "I can't be listening to that lot" scale, here is my order of preference for the current top 4. Utd would obviously be bottom of the list if they get back in with a good chance somehow.

Man City>Leicester>>>>>>>Arsenal>>>>>>>>>Spurs

I know many will have Leicester top of that list and it's fair enough, but it would make me personally feel worse if Leicester were able to win it and we weren't even close. Petty I know, but still. Spurs would be the most insufferable to me personally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

It's mad that Leceister are still up there and possibly 3 points ahead by tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    It's mad that Leceister are still up there and possibly 3 points ahead by tonight.

Looking that way. Crazy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭Damien360

OwaynOTT wrote: »

Should we credit the manager or the striker for their position. Or do we want to open that can of worms again :)

Damien360 wrote: »
    Should we credit the manager or the striker for their position. Or do we want to open that can of worms again :)

Credit both surely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Credit both surely.

Neither. It's all mahrez!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

5starpool wrote: »

I know many will have Leicester top of that list and it's fair enough, but it would make me personally feel worse if Leicester were able to win it and we weren't even close. Petty I know, but still. Spurs would be the most insufferable to me personally.

I've probably made similar comments offhand but thinking about it I would feel the same about Leicester winning it, although it would be good to see the whole theory of teams having to build towards a title being blown apart.

In terms of who I would like to see win it , would definitely be City first, Spurs, and Leicester a bit behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

Neither. It's all mahrez!

Has played some brilliant stuff as has Vardy but if I could have one Leicester player it would be Kante. Player of the season imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Pulsating Star

I just can't understand folks not wanting to see Leicester winning it.

A club outside the top 6 or so are so unlikely to get within dreaming distance of it in the future. I just hope they can at least keep top Four alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Mig has made some incredible saves lately, unfortunately some howlers are overshadowing them.
    I'm nearly certain that the commentary team were given a memo yesterday to target him for any little mistake yesterday, they were pulling some stuff out of thin air. I know he's had is howlers, he should have done better for one of the goals yesterday, but it's sad that the media are forcing themselves to write non-stories.

Could be the illuminati looking to get their own guy in, in place of Mig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Milkers wrote: »
    Has played some brilliant stuff as has Vardy but if I could have one Leicester player it would be Kante. Player of the season imo.

Superb footballer. He isn't player of the season but he's been magnificent. He'd be the Leicester player I'd most like, given a choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Alex Teixeira says he wants to leave Shaktar for Liverpool according to Sky Sports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Just popped in to read the Sturridge joke of the day and couldn't find it.

Seems even the Sturridge joke is injured now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Just popped in to read the Sturridge joke of the day and couldn't find it.

Seems even the Sturridge joke is injured now.

Can't be having one on the day of rest, besides yesterday's 13 starts in the last 90 games is a big enough joke for two days at least.

........ joke of the day........

Lucas is boss

Augeo wrote: »
    Lucas is boss

Well he was certainly better than Can yesterday who I thought was very poor.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Can't be having one on the day of rest, besides yesterday's 13 starts in the last 90 games is a big enough joke for two days at least.
    On one hand, I can understand Klopps desire to get Sturridge to complete 10 uninterrupted days of training before he is considered for selection.

But, if Sturridge can't even complete that much, wouldn't it be better for the club if he gave Sturridge 20-30 minutes at the end of matches so that when(not if) he breaks down again and has to miss a few matches we will have a few games out of him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,659 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

This season is so annoying. If we were just a little bit less crap and had 5/6 points more we'd be right in the title race given that everyone else is so awful too, but here we are still highly unlikely to even get close to top 4 given how inconsistent we are.

Given those most likely to win it, using the "I can't be listening to that lot" scale, here is my order of preference for the current top 4. Utd would obviously be bottom of the list if they get back in with a good chance somehow.

Man City>Leicester>>>>>>>Arsenal>>>>>>>>>Spurs

Fxck that .,.I would LOVE to see Leicester win it over city , just for the romance
    Spurs wouldve 2nd as its 3 yrs since they wasted? the bale money ! And yet a good manager has them up there
    Would HATE arses to win it petsonally

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

The only reason i'd like City to win it would be because Pellegrini is a true gentlemen, one of the few still left in the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Yesterday was like the good ol days of 13/14...concede a ****load? No problem,we'll just score a ****load too :D

The big change under Klopp is coming from behind to draw or win games, that had gone at the end of Rodgers. I'd say confidence and belief plays a part but Klopp is definitely a more attacking and risk taking manager. I do think he has an attitude that losing by 3 is the same as losing by 1 so he throws caution to the wind and goes for it.

That's great like yesterday or West Brom but when the attack doesn't click, you get West Ham! Speaking of whom, we really owe them one this season.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,488 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Alex Teixeira says he wants to leave Shaktar for Liverpool according to Sky Sports.

He liked a picture of himself in a pool jersey, naturally Twitter is in meltdown

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

TEIXEIRA WANTS LIVERPOOL

There's more on the breaking news. Sources close to Alex Teixeira have told us that Liverpool have a £25m bid on the table.

Interestingly, Teixeira counts Phillipe Coutinho and Lucas Leiva as two of his best friends in the game.

Tonight, his representatives are waiting for a response from Shakhtar.

19:37
    BREAKING NEWS

Sky sources understand Alex Teixeira tells Shakhtar Donetsk he wants to leave the club and his preferred destination is Liverpool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

TEIXEIRA WANTS LIVERPOOL

There's more on the breaking news. Sources close to Alex Teixeira have told us that Liverpool have a £25m bid on the table.

Interestingly, Teixeira counts Phillipe Coutinho and Lucas Leiva as two of his best friends in the game.

Tonight, his representatives are waiting for a response from Shakhtar.

19:37
    BREAKING NEWS

Sky sources understand Alex Teixeira tells Shakhtar Donetsk he wants to leave the club and his preferred destination is Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

On one hand, I can understand Klopps desire to get Sturridge to complete 10 uninterrupted days of training before he is considered for selection.

But, if Sturridge can't even complete that much, wouldn't it be better for the club if he gave Sturridge 20-30 minutes at the end of matches so that when(not if) he breaks down again and has to miss a few matches we will have a few games out of him?

There's been plenty said about how Sturridge supposedly has some sort of mental block about injuries. Has anyone who has played with or coached him ever commented on how hard a trainer he is? The 10 day stipulation is starting to sound like a battle of wills. Is Klopp trying to get him to train as hard as he should? Has there been a tendency to get out of training on the back of tweaks or twinges?

Pure conjecture on my part, I hasten to add.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

The thinking might be that Sturridge relies on his explosive pace so much that it doesn't seem to matter if it's just 20/30 minutes or if he starts. At this stage there is plenty of evidence to suggest he can't cope with his style of play so hopefully the new training regime can over come it. His body needs to be getting used to intense training as well as games.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Oh that's an interesting red card development in the Arsenal game. No match thread and I don't want to post in either superthread so ye are stuck with it. Total dive from Costa though of course. Interesting he'd do that rather than try to score. Not surprising though.

Oh I'm convinced he measures his seasons in goals, assists and players he has gotten sent off.

• Advertisement

It would be better for the club to get the best price possible for him. I get the feeling that 'The Rodgers' pandered to Sturridge during his time, and him constantly talking about how we needed him back before we'd improve couldn't have done much for the confidence of the rest of the team, so I am enjoying seeing Kloop taking a hard line with him. Another thing is that he tends to be 'rusty' after his lay offs so will we see 20-30 minutes of sh!te?

Turtyturd wrote: »
    ..... Another thing is that he tends to be 'rusty' after his lay offs so will we see 20-30 minutes of sh!te?

Indeed, S'ton game comes to mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Augeo wrote: »
    Indeed, S'ton game comes to mind.

Hardly the norm tho,was it? It usually does take him a few games to get back into the swing of things. Same with most players to be fair. The difference with Sturridge is after a few games he's injured again for a month or 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I know I shouldn't do this to myself but has anyone looked at Spurs' remaining games?

Any tougher than ours?

Was good to see Lallana actually be effective in a game for a change. Maybe coming off the bench when the opposition has tired is the best way of using him. It's a shame to see such an obviously skillful player be so absolutely useless all the time.

noodler wrote: »
    I know I shouldn't do this to myself but has anyone looked at Spurs' remaining games?

Any tougher than ours?

I wouldn't worry about it...we're not making top 4. Don't torture yourself. Cups all the way now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,659 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I wouldn't worry about it...we're not making top 4. Don't torture yourself. Cups all the way now.

I actually think theyve a shot of the title.
    5 pts back but they seem less volatile than the other contenders so will steadly pick up points

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Hardly the norm tho,was it? It usually does take him a few games to get back into the swing of things. Same with most players to be fair. The difference with Sturridge is after a few games he's injured again for a month or 2.

IDK Sturridge didnt get the goals to game ratio he has by taking "a few games" to get back in the swing of things after an injury . And lets face it he's injured a lot. He might have the odd poor touch but he nearly always scores .

IDK Sturridge didnt get the goals to game ratio he has by taking "a few games" to get back in the swing of things after an injury . And lets face it he's injured a lot. He might have the odd poor touch but he nearly always scores .

Most of his goals for us were in an 18 month period followed by an 18 month period where he was riddled by injury. The latter is the norm, don't ya know :pac:

We should genuinely feel privileged to have so many soccer experts who are also experts in sports injuries and psychology :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

It really is frustrating because it seems that the league this year will be won by whatever team is less sh1t than all others. In some ways it reminds me of the 2013/14 season in so far as Man City and Chelsea were in a transition phase and Arsenal had fallen away by Feburary as usual. This season too sees Chelsea in transition, Utd total sh1te and Man City not quite firing on all cylinders. Its just a pity we haven't been able to take advantage of that because it looks like the league will be won in May with a quite low points total. Next season will likely see Guardiola at Man City and possibly Mourinho at United, both of whom will have big transfer kittys. Chelsea are also likely to get a new manager in the summer and spend heavily again. Our competition next season is likely to be a few notches higher than this one.

In any case its all immaterial to us at this stage. If we had of sacked Rodgers after the 6-1 reverse at Stoke then we wouldn't have Klopp as manager now and I don't think we could have got such a high level manager as him in the last summer break.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement