Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 15/16

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Everyone is running with the Pato deal now.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Vicxas wrote: »
    Everyone is running with the Pato deal now.

Who is everyone?

I follow loads of Liverpool related journalists and commenters on twitter and see nothing about it. I see nothing on the couple of mainstream places I look either (Guardian and BBC usually unless linked elsewhere).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

BBC had an article on facebook, i seen a few tweets knocking around too.

Not a lot, but its a definite surge of interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

There seems to be a long running theme with Brazilian players. They turn up at a young age, are unbelievable for several years, then fizzle out well before they should be (Ronaldinho, Robinho, Pato, Adriano, Kaka, etc). What worries me most is that once they go into decline, they almost never come back. I'd love to be proven wrong by Pato, but the statistics suggest that his star has already shone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

It's still in the gossip columns unfortunately. Barrett or Pearce will shoot it down now that the tabloids are running it.

klose wrote: »
    Shelvey has this habit of scoring 1 or 2 cracking goals, or having a string of games in a season where he looks the real deal. For the most part though, he is very ordinary. What's mad though is that he is still only 23!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

There seems to be a long running theme with Brazilian players. They turn up at a young age, are unbelievable for several years, then fizzle out well before they should be (Ronaldinho, Robinho, Pato, Adriano, Kaka, etc). What worries me most is that once they go into decline, they almost never come back. I'd love to be proven wrong by Pato, but the statistics suggest that his star has already shone.

If you conclude:

- that we need a body
    - who isn't cup tied in any way
    - who is mobile and can link up with the likes of Firminho, Coutinho
    - who isn't standing in the box waiting for crosses from wingers we don't have
    - is available for a relatively cheap fee

how bad an option might he be in a January transfer window?

MD1990 wrote: »
    Pato at 11m is a worth a risk. If he found 70% of his Milan form & kept his injury record from last 3 years he would be a very good signing. Could settle well with our other Brazilians. Not many strikers out there we can realisticaly target.

Yup, £11m is peanuts, a semi decent striker you'd imagine would thrive on what the set up behind him can supply should he play ball with them and vice versa.

I have no idea how his current from etc in Brazil translates though, presumably it's a on par / slightly lower than championship standard of league?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    *ahem*

10x10=100
    10+10+10=30

100-30=70

10+10+10+10=40
    40/10=4

70+4=74

Jurgen's a genius - you can do anything with 10's!

I'm intrigued by the mind that goes about resolving something the sprung from the insanity that is OwaynOTT.

• Advertisement

Has anyone here seen Pato play lately? I haven't obviously, just wondering how he has performed other than just seeing bare stats. Is he still pacy? Does he get subbed a lot? easily bullied off the ball at all? The Brazilian league is pretty physical isn't it?

5starpool wrote: »
    Has anyone here seen Pato play lately? I haven't obviously, just wondering how he has performed other than just seeing bare stats. Is he still pacy? Does he get subbed a lot? easily bullied off the ball at all? The Brazilian league is pretty physical isn't it?

I watched a couple of youtube videos yesterday and he is still very mobile...the defending wasn't great for a number of the goals included mind but you can only beat what's put in front of you I suppose. In the past I've seen players go to Brazil and look out of shape plus not play a lot of games and you think 'past it'.

He's packing in the games and still looks in shape from what I've seen so. I don't know, we may be debating a move that has no chance in hell of happening. I wouldn't be disappointed to see it come to pass though I guess. I would say that if we're doing it we should do it quickly as his season ended in November and he'll require a few weeks to get in shape before he can be expected to contribute...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

There really is no downside to getting Pato in to be honest £11m is a drop in the ocean when next seasons tv money kicks in and he won't be offered crazy wages.

A Tim Vickery piece on Pato from late last month.

http://www.espnfc.com/blog/espn-fc-united-blog/68/post/2771656/will-pato-entice-premier-league-clubs-to-gamble-in-january

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Just to point out too he has been playing as more of a winger in Brazil so a 1 in 3 goal return is pretty good.
    From what I've seen is he is pacy and mobile still, as long as he has that coupled with the eye for goal that doesn't go away he's worth the chance.

It won't happen though I just know it.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    If you conclude:

- that we need a body
    - who isn't cup tied in any way
    - who is mobile and can link up with the likes of Firminho, Coutinho
    - who isn't standing in the box waiting for crosses from wingers we don't have
    - is available for a relatively cheap fee

how bad an option might he be in a January transfer window?

Balotelli ticks a whole load of those boxes and look at how well he turned out? Quick fix solutions rarely work. If we can't get a proper quality replacement in, then I think we should look to recall Balotelli. The likes of Pato really should only be brought in as a last resort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Pato at Milan was lighting quick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Knex. wrote: »
    I'm intrigued by the mind that goes about resolving something the sprung from the insanity that is OwaynOTT.

I'm embarrassed that I spent about 5minutes trying after he posted it and could only manage 73.

Balotelli ticks a whole load of those boxes and look at how well he turned out? Quick fix solutions rarely work. If we can't get a proper quality replacement in, then I think we should look to recall Balotelli. The likes of Pato really should only be brought in as a last resort.

The one he definitely doesn't tick though "who is mobile and can link up with the likes of Firminho, Coutinho "

Balotelli had his LFC chance and wasted it.

Could we not just spend a little more and get Lacazette? Lyon are broke and motivated to sell. None of the top teams have been willing to pull the trigger. His profile suggests he would be suited to a mobile front three where players often switch positions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Just on Pato here's my viewpoint.

At £11m in the PL you will be scraping the bottom of the barrel to get any striker in at that fee.

Transfer fees for PL proven players is gone ridiculous at the moment and will only rise higher in the future. Your 10m player from 5 years ago is now a £20/25m player. There is very little value left.

Pato himself did have an awful time with injuries during his time at Milan but he seems to be passed that stage now. He has a decent scoring record in Brazil now as well so hopefully if he does come he can stay around a 1 in 3 player.

Also with the Brazilian guys in the team already they can only help him settle much faster and the front three of Cout, Firminhio and Pato seems really strong on paper.

Another thing is I can't see him been on a big wedge of cash so we could tie him down to an improved contract for around £50k a week. Cheap enough if you ask me.

A few years ago before his injuries with Milan alot of the big teams in Europe would have been happy to have him in their teams.

I'd be happy to have him at the club now. He gives us another option for a small fee while three of our strikers are out injured.

Pato would be a good second striker for that money. His injuries have taken the edge from his pace but he will still be good.

• Advertisement

Could we not just spend a little more and get Lacazette? Lyon are broke and motivated to sell. None of the top teams have been willing to pull the trigger. His profile suggests he would be suited to a mobile front three where players often switch positions.

I'd prefer to sign Lacazette, and I'd say most of us would, but the fee would be double if not more than Pato and he could be looking for wages 2/3 times that of Pato.

Maybe that money is just not there this January unfortunately.

Just another point on Pato, he's played LW more so than striker for a while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

Considering how quickly Klopp recalled Ojo, Stewart , Kent and Ilori (and looks like recalling Ward now) from loan when injuries hit, 1 of 2 things is in play

a) he doesn't wan't Balotelli

or b) contractually we can't recall him from Milan

Considering how quickly Klopp recalled Ojo, Stewart , Kent and Ilori (and looks like recalling Ward now) from loan when injuries hit, 1 of 2 things is in play

I thought you couldn't recall European loanees ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

emmetkenny wrote: »
    I thought you couldn't recall European loanees ?

We can't

Balotelli has been out injured for the last two months anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

If we can't get a proper quality replacement in, then I think we should look to recall Balotelli. The likes of Pato really should only be brought in as a last resort.

Balotelli is absolute poison. I really hope he never returns. I'd rather no striker than Mario. Absolute chancer.

Fool me once.......etc

I agree with your main point though, if we cant get a proper quality replacement I wouldn't be happy with buying another average to good quality striker.

Ings/Origi/Benteke have those boxes ticked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

MD1990 wrote: »
    Pato at Milan was lighting quick

Nothing quite like a bit of pace!

Vietto now being linked.

It would seem we are on the look out for a striker of some sorts.

I like Vietto a lot. Think he would fit in really well with us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Vietto now being linked.

It would seem we are on the look out for a striker of some sorts.

Now this is a transfer I could get behind - Torres/Sturridge attack style plus Suarez like dropping back ability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Think klopp likes players who are not big stars but talented with something to prove,hungry players. Id agree with him

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Where is this Pato talk coming from?

Not one journalist I follow has mentioned him once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Nothing else to talk about transfer wise so twitter makes up its own stuff.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Think klopp likes players who are not big stars but talented with something to prove,hungry players. Id agree with him

Well that fits our profile very well, as we have not signed an already-established "star" player since... well I'm struggling here actually.. anyone help me out? (And don't tell me Torres & Suarez were big star players before we bought them!)

tok9 wrote: »

It all lives in the gossip sections of papers/sites. I can't see it happening myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

garra wrote: »
    Well that fits our profile very well, as we have not signed an already-established "star" player since... well I'm struggling here actually.. anyone help me out? (And don't tell me Torres & Suarez were big star players before we bought them!)

Andy Carro..... Haha couldn't finish that.

tok9 wrote: »

So? We're just spitballing here. Is that not the point of Transfer Window related discussion?

Define star. I've noted before that Liverpool make stars they don't sign them. Certainly signing established star players from top level leagues is very rare. Peter Beardsley - top player at Newcastle Utd and England regular. Paul Ince is another England regular, ex Utd and Milan, Jari Litmanen was the famous name who we got too late Robbie Keane (!), **** hot for Spurs and Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Could be clever getting Pato in, next seasons attack would be Studge/Benteke/Ings/Pato/Origi with Mario sold etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

i mean players who have had a chance and for whatever reason went backwards,23-27 yrs old type players who didnt make it first go but are willing to do everything to succeed 2nd time around,would have learned from previous mistakes,..

a sturridge,bojan,shaquri type

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    So? We're just spitballing here. Is that not the point of Transfer Window related discussion?

giphy.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Didn't Klopp say he wanted the younger players back at Liverpool so they could play and develop together rather than going on loan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Define star. I've noted before that Liverpool make stars they don't sign them. Certainly signing established star players from top level leagues is very rare. Peter Beardsley - top player at Newcastle Utd and England regular. Paul Ince is another England regular, ex Utd and Milan, Jari Litmanen was the famous name who we got too late Robbie Keane (!), **** hot for Spurs and Ireland

Your truism checks out. Was thinking of Beardsely all right, fitting the bill of being a great player at the peak of his powers when he moved to us.
    I like Klopp's approach of moulding raw material into great players/teams.. I don't think he will punt on star / marquee signings with their best work behind them, he is just not that bothered appeasing public opinion to do it. Add in the huge physical demands of playing for Klopp in the EPL and you can probably rule out players with chequered health history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Southamptons U21 game against Liverpool will be streamed live tonight from 6.30.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

The Pato thing is his agent chancing his arm, hoping that anyone will take the punt and bring him back to Europe. Its remarkable that its been getting so much airtime here and on other forums.

I think it appeals to Liverpool fans because we're hopeless romantics (I'm trying not to use the word gullible here). Our recent success stories are where we've plucked talented guys out of bad situations (Coutinho - periphery player/Inter Milan desperate for money, Sturridge - wasn't getting picked/played out of position, Suarez - suspended for biting/Ajax fed up).

I'd love to see Pato make a comeback in Europe, but I don't think we're the right club to be putting our hopes on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Diversion tic-tactics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Knex. wrote: »

I think, I need a rebrand. Need to move away from this insane desperate thank whore personae.
    A rebrand could get me the respect and adulation I deserve.
    Also I've reported you for defamation of character.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

sup

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement