Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 15/16

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

emmetkenny wrote: »
    If we were to try buy a PL keeper, two which I would like to see us try for would be Forester or Butland. But my first choice would be Ter Stegan.

I'd prefer to see us make a big bid for Butland. He's PL proven, 7cm taller than Ter Stegan (has greater physical presence for corners!!) and the whole issue of will he settle in a new country etc won't be a factor.

Both would be a major upgrade on Ming though as would Forester who is 5cm taller than Butland, an absolute giant of a man and a full 12cm taller than Ter Stegan but then Lloris is a relative short ar$e and is still one heck of a keeper. Maybe it's not the size of the dog in the fight but the size of the fight in the dog that really counts!!

Can a club be punished for fans behaviour if incidents like this continue to happen?
    Why should they? It's not like the club have any involvement in or are encouraging or sanctioning the behaviour in any way is it?

The common denominator for thugs like this is their love of a good riot. Supporting a club in the CL is a convenient flag to facilitate their psychotic anti social behaviour but you can't blame the club for a bunch of criminals using them to further their criminal behaviour.

Have you ever watched this? It'll open your eyes to how these idiots really operate. The respective football clubs were just flags of convenience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I'd prefer to see us make a big bid for Butland. He's PL proven, 7cm taller than Ter Stegan (has greater physical presence for corners!!) and the whole issue of will he settle in a new country etc won't be a factor.

Both would be a major upgrade on Ming though as would Forester who is 5cm taller than Butland, an absolute giant of a man and a full 12cm taller than Ter Stegan but then Lloris is a relative short ar$e and is still one heck of a keeper. Maybe it's not the size of the dog in the fight but the size of the fight in the dog that really counts!!

Yea Forester is a giant between the sticks. He'd definitely bring a presence to the back 5.

To be honest I don't think we could go to far wrong with any of the three.

I do think Butland would cost an awful lot of money. Maybe even be the most expensive Keeper transfer in the League. Forester and Ter Stegan would be cheaper.

I suppose we just have to wait and see how the rest of the window plays out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Glico Man wrote: »
    About to head to the shop for breakfast stuff for tomorrow, any advice chief?

seasame seed bagels with butter and jam, oj, pot of tea
    in a rush? coco pops

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

No point selling Ming and buying Ter Stegan. You need two decent keepers to push each other. In this case Ming is our best keeper at the minute. We need to buy a better keeper and move Ming to number 2.
    I don't consider Mignolet to be a decent keeper for a club of our aspirations. He's over 1.90m tall yet he's not a commanding presence, and he isn't vocal at all. He lacks the required focus, he can pull off some spectacular saves but that's about it.

I have similar doubts about Ter Stegen. When I look at him I see the same attitude that Mignolet exhibits, similar stupid lapses of concentration. For me he is another 'nearly' man, not quite the finished article but if he could just add the missing piece he'd be a world beater. It rarely happens, if the player doesn't have the drive to improve themselves then they are merely a talented player. I wouldn't be surprised to see Barcelona move him on.

There are some decent young German keepers like Timo Horn (Koln), Bernd Leno (Leverkusen) and Loris Karius (Mainz). Horn was reported to have been scouted in 2014 before Mignolet was dropped, so the club had an interest in him even before Klopp joined.

Atletico Madrid have tried to sign Simone Scuffet, an Italian U-21 with Udinese. Given their eye for goalkeeping talent in recent years (de Gea, Courtois, Oblak) he might be worth looking at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

I suppose we just have to wait and see how the rest of the window plays out.
    I think that we owe it to Aberdeen, to offer Simon Mignolet to Celtic in exchange for Craig Gordon for the rest of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

The less I'm hearing about Texeira the more worried I'm becoming....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

Are we on the telly tonight?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

The league average for conceding a goal from a corner is about 3.7%, about 1 in 30.

Ours is over 8%, about 1 in 13!

Listened to a podcast about it and the likelihood of that happening is once in 50 seasons!

Under Rodgers we were in or around average so it has got worse under Klopp. I'd say most must be in the last 2 months with the injuries and crazy amount of games.

No settled CB partnership, Mig not saving shots he should, Moreno gone dodgy again and Lucas poor lately, all not helping either.

Who'd have thought Lovern coming back would be viewed as a good thing, we'd tightened up at the back for his last couple of games.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

BMJD wrote: »

Sky Sports 1 I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

I'm not trying to be a pr1ck but one thing that grates me is when I see posts are we on tv. A quick google search will tell you that, or better still book mark this site.

http://www.live-footballontv.com/

P.S. Don't mind me I'm just cranky this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Has anybody got the right time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

I'm not trying to be a pr1ck but one thing that grates me is when I see posts are we on tv. A quick google search will tell you that, or better still book mark this site.

I was posting from my phone, all the helpful people here EXCEPT FOR YOU mean I can skip the tedium of searching for the required information in a scaled-down mobile format.

Now show some character and have an outstanding day! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

K-9 wrote: »
    The league average for conceding a goal from a corner is about 3.7%, about 1 in 30.

Listened to a podcast about it and the likelihood of that happening is once in 50 seasons!

Under Rodgers we were in or around average so it has got worse under Klopp. I'd say most must be in the last 2 months with the injuries and crazy amount of games.

No settled CB partnership, Mig not saving shots he should, Moreno gone dodgy again and Lucas poor lately, all not helping either.

Who'd have thought Lovern coming back would be viewed as a good thing, we'd tightened up at the back for his last couple of games.

There's never a shortage of ridiculousness when it comes to this team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

K-9 wrote: »

Sakho very poor since his return also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I'm dying, don't think I'll make it to tonight. Think I might hack up the inside of my feet next. Someone ring Klopp and tell him there's a dying fan whose last wish is to see the team beat Stoke.
    He can use that to motivate the team.

Inspiring+world+of+warcraft+http+wwwcrackedsorcerercom+post+2503+world+of+warcraft_9e3973_5301204.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I'm dying, don't think I'll make it to tonight. Think I might hack up the inside of my feet next. Someone ring Klopp and tell him there's a dying fan whose last wish is to see the team beat Stoke.
    He can use that to motivate the team.

Inspiring+world+of+warcraft+http+wwwcrackedsorcerercom+post+2503+world+of+warcraft_9e3973_5301204.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

I was posting from my phone, all the helpful people here EXCEPT FOR YOU mean I can skip the tedium of searching for the required information in a scaled-down mobile format.

Now show some character and have an outstanding day! :P

Haha but google is on phones too :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭bennyineire

The first of a first world problem right there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Haha but google is on phones too :P

I agree with you, find it annoying too. Install an app on your phone with a TV guide.

Also, why would you need to ask if a League Cup Semi Final 2nd leg is on the TV?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Huge game tonight, obviously. The league cup is of those competitions like a domestic version of the Europa League, where if you get knocked out early on, it doesn’t seem quite so bad, whereas the closer you get to the final, the more desperate you are to win it.

To win it within Klopp’s first six months as manager would be massive. Straight away, that pressure of going this long and that long without winning a trophy is already gone. It would really settle him into the job and it would really settle Jordan Henderson into his role as captain if he could lift a trophy in his first season wearing the armband. Following in Steven Gerrard’s footsteps isn’t easy, so winning this competition would be a real positive all round.

monkey9 wrote: »
    Huge game tonight, obviously. The league cup is of those competitions like a domestic version of the Europa League, where if you get knocked out early on, it doesn’t seem quite so bad, whereas the closer you get to the final, the more desperate you are to win it.

To win it within Klopp’s first six months as manager would be massive. Straight away, that pressure of going this long and that long without winning a trophy is already gone. It would really settle him into the job and it would really settle Jordan Henderson into his role as captain if he could lift a trophy in his first season wearing the armband. Following in Steven Gerrard’s footsteps isn’t easy, so winning this competition would be a real positive all round.

I think winning this and a good run in the FA cup would be a great season considering.

I'm not sure how far we'll get in the EL, some good teams in the last 32.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Looks like it will take a club record fee to sign Teixeira, don't see it happening at £35m, knowing FSG they will look at his age and not see much resale value for a now 26 year old. Hope I'm wrong, plenty of proof that these players at Shaktar are worth the fees paid, and by many accounts Teixeria is every bit as good or better than them.

Seleção Brasileira
    @BrazilStats ESPN Brasil: The outcome of the negotiations will be amazing news for Alex Teixeira, spectacular for Shakhtar and expensive for Liverpool.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I was reading a thing earlier where Shaktar are annoyed at letting Costa go to Bayern for so cheap, they don't want to be hit with that again.
    The club believes he is a better player than Costa.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I was reading a thing earlier where Shaktar are annoyed at letting Costa go to Bayern for so cheap, they don't want to be hit with that again.

He must be some player if he's better than Costa!!!

kfallon wrote: »
    He must be some player if he's better than Costa!!!

Isn't this Douglas and not Diego?

murpho999 wrote: »

Yes, easily Bayern's player of the season. They left him go for €30m so I can kind of see their point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Well in fairness, they're not going to imply "He's not as good as Costa but we're p!issed off that we sold him so cheap to Bayern so we're trying to rip you off now in order to recoup what we feel we lost".

I'm not too familiar with him, but obviously I hope we get him and he turns out to be our catalyst to 4th place (or is it too late already?).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Klopps new song:)

• Advertisement

Yes! Douglas Costa has been brilliant for Bayern this season, some player!

rob316 wrote: »
    Yes, easily Bayern's player of the season. They left him go for €30m so I can kind of see their point.

It's an interesting issue this.

It will be Klopp's first big signing and the club will have to appear to back him at this early stage, I'd expect the deal to go through.

Do people here reckon he's worth £30-35m? He's got to be better than Carroll and Benteke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

I think some are overthinking the Teixeira situation. Shaktar want as much money as they can get for him and there's 5 days left in the January transfer window. Simple as that. It has nothing to do with how much they've sold other players for.

Do people here reckon he's worth £30-35m? He's got to be better than Carroll and Benteke.

If we hadn't have spunked that money on Benteke the deal would already have gone through with Shaktar. I think the club are baulking at spending another huge amount on a striker, but the current situation at the club necessitates it and, like you said, they simply have to back Klopp.

fyfe79 wrote: »
    If we hadn't have spunked that money on Benteke the deal would already have gone through with Shaktar. I think the club are baulking at spending another huge amount on a striker, but the current situation at the club necessitates it and, like you said, they simply have to back Klopp.

Don't see what the Benteke issue has to do with it.

They still have him as an asset, and if they sell him, they will recoup a lot.

Sappy404 wrote: »
    I think some are overthinking the Teixeira situation. Shaktar want as much money as they can get for him and there's 5 days left in the January transfer window. Simple as that. It has nothing to do with how much they've sold other players for.

To be fair to Shaktar they don't stand in the way of their best players leaving for bigger clubs in Europe. They have a price they expect it to be met, the personal wealth of the owner is far greater than FSG, they are under no pressure or rush to sell.

If the club think he is worth £25m now paying £35m should be reasonable. If Teixeira stays, goes on and scores another 20 goals in the 2nd half of the season he will be more than likely be out of our reach by then and have a long list of suitors in the summer.

Don't see what the Benteke issue has to do with it.

They still have him as an asset, and if they sell him, they will recoup a lot.

I think LFC would already have paid Shaktar what they wanted in order to get the deal done if it wasn't for Benteke, that's just my opinion. I think the club are slightly reluctant to just pay up again and are looking for a better deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

If we hadn't bought Benteke we'd have missed out on the 3 points against Leicester and Bournemouth and gone in to the last Europa league game needing a win to go through. The lad's scored more than his share of important goals in the 5 months he's been playing for us and is our top scorer.

Sappy404 wrote: »
    If we hadn't bought Benteke we'd have missed out on the 3 points against Leicester and Bournemouth and gone in to the last Europa league game needing a win to go through. The lad's scored more than his share of important goals in the 5 months he's been playing for us and is our top scorer.

Totally agree.

What if Ayre thinks the same way? He might be thinking "we have Benteke who has recently been bought for big money, we have Sturridge coming back to fitness who's on big wages, why am I buying another big money striker?"

• Advertisement

Totally agree.

What if Ayre thinks the same way? He might be thinking "we have Benteke who has recently been bought for big money, we have Sturridge coming back to fitness who's on big wages, why am I buying another big money striker?"

Klopp would then rightly tell him he's an attacking midfielder.

Of which we have plenty of options.

I just think Ayre's looking to get a better deal for the club than just paying Shaktar whatever they want. If we hadn't already paid big for another striker (Benteke) or attacking midfielder (Fermino), I think the deal would be done by now.

I think he will sign but it could be a last minute job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Totally agree.

If Arye was thinking that then this transfer process would never have begun.

Benteke is crap, if Strrudge, Ings and Origi were all fit he'd hardly have played a game since Klopp came in. He'll be out the door in the summer. Villa or Newcastle might buy him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Villa are going to be relegated, he was worth buying just for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

kfallon wrote: »
    The peno Moreno gave away on Saturday showed how thick he really is as a footballer. Standing behind a guy and decided he can get the ball by kicking thru him, I'd say Naismith couldn't believe his luck when he felt the contact.

I've had enough of Moreno now, costs us too many goals and offers very little in an attacking sense. And who the fook decided that he should be on free kicks? :rolleyes:

His first challenge was a foul, and should have been a pen, even though he got a touch on the ball.
    Naismith then on the ground touched the ball with his hand before Moreno jumped in. As far as Im concerned he jumped to get to Naismith to stop him getting up. If a guy is on the ground, I dont think a defender should be under any obligation to let him up.....Naismith was getting up, albeit quickly, felt the contact, fell down and claimed a pen.

Consider if Moreno was goalside and Naismith went to get up and collided with him......free out all day long.

Plenty will disagree with me, but can someone explain in detail, why it was a pen (the second challenge, not the first)

Im not defending Moreno, his defensive positioning is woeful....and thats being kind to him, but I seriously cant see where the second challenge was a pen

• Advertisement

Of which we have plenty of options.

I just think Ayre's looking to get a better deal for the club than just paying Shaktar whatever they want. If we hadn't already paid big for another striker (Benteke) or attacking midfielder (Fermino), I think the deal would be done by now.

I think he will sign but it could be a last minute job.

Depends whether Shaktar are motivated sellers or not. If they are owned by some Russian gazillianaire who doesn't need the cash he may prefer to set his price and demonstrate what big cahoonas he has rather than negotiate.

Benteke is crap
    You're a funny guy Harry, can I have some of whatever it is you're smoking?

If you argued that Benteke's strengths don't suit our system I'd possibly agree with you but to call him crap is just wrong. He's a £32m proven PL goal scorer who also happens to be first choice striker for one of the worlds top international teams.

The fact we're not playing to his strengths doesn't make him crap. Would you say Messi was crap if he was asked to be a lone target man up front for Barcelona and all they did all day was fire in long balls and crosses for him to head down??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

You're a funny guy Harry, can I have some of whatever it is you're smoking?

If you argued that Benteke's strengths don't suit our system I'd possibly agree with you but to call him crap is just wrong. He's a £32m proven PL goal scorer who also happens to be first choice striker for one of the worlds top international teams.

The fact we're not playing to his strengths doesn't make him crap. Would you say Messi was crap if he was asked to be a lone target man up front for Barcelona and all they did all day was fire in long balls and crosses for him to head down??

Obviously Liverpool are not playing to his strengths which is why he should never have been bought (he simply does not match up with anyone else in the squad) but he is also a player who seemingly cannot make the right run when in the attacking third - he is either right on top of the nearest red shirt or too far away and standing about. He lacks a quick intelligence - the sort of ability that Sturridge displays routinely (when fit of course!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

His first challenge was a foul, and should have been a pen, even though he got a touch on the ball.
    Naismith then on the ground touched the ball with his hand before Moreno jumped in. As far as Im concerned he jumped to get to Naismith to stop him getting up. If a guy is on the ground, I dont think a defender should be under any obligation to let him up.....Naismith was getting up, albeit quickly, felt the contact, fell down and claimed a pen.

Consider if Moreno was goalside and Naismith went to get up and collided with him......free out all day long.

Plenty will disagree with me, but can someone explain in detail, why it was a pen (the second challenge, not the first)

Im not defending Moreno, his defensive positioning is woeful....and thats being kind to him, but I seriously cant see where the second challenge was a pen

You seriously want us to argue why the second challenge was a penalty? Naismith was getting up and Moreno pushed him in the back and Naismith went down again.

That was as clear cut penalty as you're ever likely to find. I like Moreno and think he has serious talent that others mightn't see but he can be left wanting defensively.

I said it on Saturday and I maintain it now, that was possibly the worst piece of defending I've ever seen at premier league level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Benteke is an average striker don't care that he has a decent goalscoring record so did Ricky Lambert & even Grant Holt.
    His strengths don't suit us but I think he would struggle at Chelsea or any other top 5 club in the PL. Way too passive in his game not making any runs or any decent movement just stands looking for his balls & has no left foot either he is too one dimensional. He is low on confidence right now & better than what he is showing but not good enough for a big club.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement