Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 15/16

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I thought Flanagan did really well, but was exhausted by the end as you could see by his silly tackles.

He adds something different to defence and going forward, Clyne loses the ball a lot whereas Flanagan likes to pull a Sakho and pass it forward.

I thought Flanagan did really well, but was exhausted by the end as you could see by his silly tackles.

He adds something different to defence and going forward, Clyne loses the ball a lot whereas Flanagan likes to pull a Sakho and pass it forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Colemania

I know it was probably mentioned before but Henderson really is an uninspiring captain. Don't get me wrong, he's a great player for us and will be a long term fixture in the team but he's not captain material. At one stage a ball bounced up in the box and there was Sakho, Toure and Henderson just looking at it and nobody going for it. Eventually someone half clears and it comes to Henderson and Flanagan or Lallana and again they both stare at each other and don't go for it. Henderson needs to take control in these situations and just get that ball out. No point assuming someone else is going to do it for you!

Sakho has been caught ball watching many times, expecting someone else nearby to clear it. You wouldn't see that from, dare I say it, Skrtel or someone like Vidic, Hyypia, Stam and so on. We need a leader in that defence and there's nobody at the club who is capable of this.

Flanagan is such a breath of fresh air and you can tell he would throw his body on the line for the club. I hope he stays fit and as mentioned above comes in for Moreno at left back. I watched match of the day on Monday and I couldn't believe how idiotic Moreno was throughout the match, especially for the penalty he gave away. He needs a break from the team or just to be accommodated at left wing. Brad Smith would be in the team I reckon if we were playing a target man but Benteke doesn't warrant a start at the moment so for all of Smiths great crossing, there'd be nobody on the end of it.

It really is cruel that Ings is out for the season and even Gomez for that matter. They would thrive under Klopp, especially Ings. Next season will be an interesting one with all the lads back from injury and a few new faces added.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Moreno has not developed at all like I hoped he might.

He's become a poor Glen Johnson.

Edit: Have ye all seen Klopp go mental on him? :pac:

https://streamable.com/qhnc

Knex. wrote: »

Edit: Have ye all seen Klopp go mental on him? :pac:

https://streamable.com/qhnc

Henderson and Moreno just aren't developing at all, I think Captain has hindered Henderson more than anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Knex. wrote: »

Agree entirely about Moreno. He drives me mad.

Had someone arguing with me in the match thread that he is good as he is attatcking but he doesn't even do that well.

Zero goals or assists, poor corners and free kicks.

Crazy defending that causes all sorts of problems at the back that I think makes our CBs look bad because he is not doing his job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Milner really has been excellent the last few weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Henderson will never be captain material as long as he has a hole in his arse. Good player but not one who is gonna drive a team on. Having said that there is prob nobody else (Touré apart) who would make a good captain in that team imo.

Good thing about Moreno is that we have Flanagan and Gomez (when fit) who can play LB so we don't need to look to spend money on that area in the next window or two.

Also, not sure what Joe Allen has to do to get more game time. He's been our best midfielder for weeks now.

I don't believe this is me just banging the drum after last night either, as I've been saying in match threads that he should start/needs to come on asap for a while.

Only thing that I can think of, is Klopp prefers his midfielders to be more physical, hence Can constantly getting the nod over him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Can needs a rest he looks like his legs are made of lead sometimes.

• Advertisement

And if Boards doesn't stop with this double post malarky, we'll all end up with more posts attributed to us than Harry and Mike combined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Bild are saying Granit Xhaka is our number one target for the summer. They claim Klopp met his agent in Dec and he has a €30m release clause.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Moreno has to be dropped, absolute liability. Offers nothing going forward and when he does he leaves massive gaps for Sakho to cover, who just doesn't have the pace for that. Where is the leadership in this back 4?

Mignolet did well for the penalties, again but he is still hopless. Goal was offside but you play to the whistle, made it so easy for Arnautovic.

Replace Moreno and Mignolet with Ward and Flanagan and I could see a lot of mistakes been cut out.

Milner really has been excellent the last few weeks

Has he or is that just sarcasm. He has been ineffective like pretty much the rest of our players. No way should we calling these below par performances excellent.

Firmino looks a classy player but he badly needs some quality around him. Lallana is Downing 2.0, he is a very limited player.

Cant get over how bad the midfield last night was, Lucas, Henderson and Can were diabolical. I have never seen Henderson play so bad, Lucas has outstayed his welcome in the starting line up again and Can I'm losing patience with. What the hell does Allen have to do to get a start, he came on late and took control of the midfield, sprayed passes around with great confidence.

Against West Ham this is what I want

Ward
    Clyne Lovren Sakho Flanagan
    Allen
    Henderson Can
    whatever whatever
    Firmino

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Henderson I think is still hampered by his foot injury. Flanagan for his 1st start in 20 months was superb. Should get his contract sorted soon. Benteke is starting to play better too. Lallana would be best used as an impact sub.

MD1990 wrote: »
    Henderson I think is still hampered by his foot injury. Flanagan for his 1st start in 20 months was superb. Should get his contract sorted soon. Benteke is starting to play better too. Lallana would be best used as an impact sub.

Is he? £32m striker needs to be hitting the net before he gets any praise. He linked up well dropping back last night but there were a few instances again where he was no where to be seen in the 6 yard box.

Looks woefully of the pace to me and is playing for his future which is looking more and more bleak after every game. Nice penalty though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

rob316 wrote: »
    Has he or is that just sarcasm. He has been ineffective like pretty much the rest of our players. No way should we calling these below par performances excellent.

Nail on the head!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Is he? £32m striker needs to be hitting the net before he gets any praise. He linked up well dropping back last night but there were a few instances again where he was no where to be seen in the 6 yard box.

Looks woefully of the pace to me and is playing for his future which is looking more and more bleak after every game. Nice penalty though.
    He was a bit better. I still would sell him but he is showing a bit more . He hasn't got much pace though. We should pay the 38m for Teixeira as he has the qualities we need from an attacking player & an outstanding goalscoring record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

How was Firminio last night?

Didn't get to see any of the game :mad:

• Advertisement

I think Milner is alright. The problem is there isn't the interplay between him, Hendo, Lucas and Can that is going to create chances with the ball on the deck against a compact defence. They don't have the guile or the invention. They end up passing it, probing, falling back; passing it, probing, falling back, on and on until they lose it. They might find Lallana who beats a man but gets the end product wrong, or the ball gets to Firmino but it's just behind him or the defender has him marked out of a shot. When Ibe came on he found space and did alright with it, but Ibe's toothless; he has very little end product.

The other issue is this midfield also lacks the width to properly use Benteke. He's even less effective than Firmino at finding the space. When he gets some he's lethal, e.g. his goal v Chelsea, but realistically as a plan B we need a shift in focus to wide play and stretch the defence. Again, Milner, Hendo, Can and Lucas together are never going to do this.

I think Milner is alright. The problem is there isn't the interplay between him, Hendo, Lucas and Can that is going to create chances with the ball on the deck against a compact defence. They don't have the guile or the invention. They end up passing it, probing, falling back; passing it, probing, falling back, on and on until they lose it. They might find Lallana who beats a man but gets the end product wrong, or the ball gets to Firmino but it's just behind him or the defender has him marked out of a shot. When Ibe came on he found space and did alright with it, but Ibe's toothless; he has very little end product.

The other issue is this midfield also lacks the width to properly use Benteke. He's even less effective than Firmino at finding the space. When he gets some he's lethal, e.g. his goal v Chelsea, but realistically as a plan B we need a shift in focus to wide play and stretch the defence. Again, Milner, Hendo, Can and Lucas together are never going to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

So he can't do anything right is it? He's our top scorer despite limited playing time. He came on last night and himself and Allen changed the game in many ways. I thought he was very good and deserves praise for his performance. He showed for the ball, retained it under pressure, got his head up, picked a few nice passes. He did the simple things very well last night. People saying he's not in the six yard box or saying he's never on the end of things.... do they ever watch where our crosses are coming from/to? I lost count the amount of times it was just a hit and hope cross into the box, not picking anyone out.

...and on the subject of crosses... can we not allow Moreno anywhere near our set plays please!!! Funny to think he's been hovering over them all season and yet when it comes to taking a penalty he's not even in the first 7 takers. Milner but in a few decent corners and I hope that continues. Also loved the fact that Klopp f*cked Moreno out of it in ET. that was brilliant to see. I've been doing that for the best part of the last 2 years!!!! :D:D

We scraped through. It was a poor performance. Thought Klopp was a bit disingenuous with his comments about Stoke only played the long ball. I thought they were excellent last night and were the better team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    So he can't do anything right is it? He's our top scorer despite limited playing time. He came on last night and himself and Allen changed the game in many ways. I thought he was very good and deserves praise for his performance. He showed for the ball, retained it under pressure, got his head up, picked a few nice passes. He did the simple things very well last night. People saying he's not in the six yard box or saying he's never on the end of things.... do they ever watch where our crosses are coming from/to? I lost count the amount of times it was just a hit and hope cross into the box, not picking anyone out.

...and on the subject of crosses... can we not allow Moreno anywhere near our set plays please!!! Funny to think he's been hovering over them all season and yet when it comes to taking a penalty he's not even in the first 7 takers. Milner but in a few decent corners and I hope that continues. Also loved the fact that Klopp f*cked Moreno out of it in ET. that was brilliant to see. I've been doing that for the best part of the last 2 years!!!! :D:D

We scraped through. It was a poor performance. Thought Klopp was a bit disingenuous with his comments about Stoke only played the long ball. I thought they were excellent last night and were the better team.

No he didn't unless you're saying that beating the first man is a decent corner (I suppose it's a step up from what we are used to).
    He floats them in but the defence has plenty of time to anticipate them and clear them. We should be mixing it up, whipping it in with pace. It's what most teams are doing to us at present. Every Milner corner was the same last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Roanmore wrote: »
    No he didn't unless you're saying that beating the first man is a decent corner (I suppose it's a step up from what we are used to).
    He floats them in but the defence has plenty of time to anticipate them and clear them. We should be mixing it up, whipping it in with pace. It's what most teams are doing to us at present. Every Milner corner was the same last night.

Milner had about 4 corners in a row in ET I think that he put around the penalty spot. They were probably the best corners i've seen from us all season. You dont need to whip in ball all the time. People are obsessed with whipping a ball in. Just cross the ball into the box and aim for the penalty spot. Its not rocket science. At least give the likes of Benteke or Sakho a chance of getting something on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Milner had about 4 corners in a row in ET I think that he put around the penalty spot. They were probably the best corners i've seen from us all season. You dont need to whip in ball all the time. People are obsessed with whipping a ball in. Just cross the ball into the box and aim for the penalty spot. Its not rocket science. At least give the likes of Benteke or Sakho a chance of getting something on it.

Is it just me or is Sakho absolutely no threat from corners and set pieces frown.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

We have enough No 10s to be dropping off and linking the play. Benteke needs to focus more on getting in the box and getting himself in scoring positions. He played one through ball to Flanno who crossed to the front post but there was nobody in the box to attack it

We have enough No 10s to be dropping off and linking the play. Benteke needs to focus more on getting in the box and getting himself in scoring positions. He played one through ball to Flanno who crossed to the front post but there was nobody in the box to attack it

I noticed 3 or 4 times last night that Benteke was nowhere near the box when guys were heading down the wings.

I'm not sure if he knows what to do anymore...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

What annoys me even more about him is every time the ball goes into the box where you'd expect him to be and he's not there, he stops, looks at whoever crossed the ball and puts his arms out as if to say 'I am right here why didn't you pass it to me?'....every single time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

We were meant to be playing Everton the day of the cup final. That's them getting through tonight so because those fixture coincidents always happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Is it just me or is Sakho absolutely no threat from corners and set pieces frown.png

He's a massive threat. Anyone he seems to be marking scores.

Though I do like Sakho.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

monkey9 wrote: »
    We were meant to be playing Everton the day of the cup final. That's them getting through tonight so because those fixture coincidents always happen.

If it's city in the final we also play them 3 days later in a league game .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭jpboard1

Anyone know much about this lad Teixeira. Seems like a huge risk with the money being offered?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Flights booked for Wembley, let's do this shizzle... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

If it's city in the final we also play them 3 days later in a league game .

Tonight is wide open once again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

So he can't do anything right is it? He's our top scorer despite limited playing time.

Well he's played similar minutes and appearances as Firmino and has scored 2 goals more than him so not all that limited in playing time. Not crazy impressive seeing as Firmino doesn't play CF in every game he plays.

For the money spent he just doesn't contribute enough going forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

That's why I said mix it up, all his corners were the same and all resulted in a defensive clearance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

NukaCola wrote: »
    Well he's played similar minutes and appearances as Firmino and has scored 2 goals more than him so not all that limited in playing time. Not crazy impressive seeing as Firmino doesn't play CF in every game he plays.

For the money spent he just doesn't contribute enough going forward.
    This is all very true, I think the issue here is that you can't say he played without some posters jumping on how he's a striker not scoring goals. Which is relatively fair, but from what I saw last night, Benteke was much better in general play, holdup, turning etc. more of that to follow & the goals will hopefully come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I honestly think if "Meh" hadn't got injured he would be the starting striker week in week out under Klopp not just because of his work rate but he can be the fox in the box type forward we are crying out for.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

We are brutal at corners, both ends.
    When we take a corner, we float a ball in and nobody is really on the move. Everyone appears to jump from a standing position rather than running onto the ball.
    We are brutal at throw ins as well, we shouldn't be putting ourselves under pressure from a throw in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Sappy404 wrote: »
    Bild are saying Granit Xhaka is our number one target for the summer. They claim Klopp met his agent in Dec and he has a €30m release clause.

Harry approves of this post
    Cartman78 wrote: »
    How was Firminio last night?

Didn't get to see any of the game :mad:

he was actually excellent, he pressed the feck out of the Stoke defenders in the first half, dropped back as well but due to the complete lack of a link man from the middle was essentially playing his own game.

Hendo was terrible clearly channelling the worst of Gerrard and none of his best so completely useless for Bobby to work off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Lads,

Anybody trying for flights with BA for the LC final use different browsers the price seems to be going up and down for flights on the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Yep thought Firmino was pretty good last night especially in the first half. Think him in front of Coutinho would benefit both of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

We may offer cash to get Matip now instead of a free in the summer I see on twitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Any sign of Coutinho coming back? Few more weeks?

GBX wrote: »
    Any sign of Coutinho coming back? Few more weeks?

Phsyioroom is saying Feb 6th. Not sure how reliable that is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

he was actually excellent, he pressed the feck out of the Stoke defenders in the first half, dropped back as well but due to the complete lack of a link man from the middle was essentially playing his own game.

Hendo was terrible clearly channelling the worst of Gerrard and none of his best so completely useless for Bobby to work off.

Will be interesting to see if he's rested/rotated for the West Ham game.

Any analysis of Firminio i've heard over the last couple of weeks has been generally very favourable

Half-decent article here on Liverpool and the League Cup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

We havent signed anyone of note yet but going by the names linked with us such as xahka, matip, texiera and ter stegen it makes me feel much better. Now lets sign some of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

ricero wrote: »
    We havent signed anyone of note yet but going by the names linked with us such as xahka, matip, texiera and ter stegen it makes me feel much better. Now lets sign none of them.

Fixed your post! :pac:

In other news The Mirror says that that was Liverpool's 17th shoot out and 14th win in them, which is even better than the Germans (so amusing that Can missed - maybe that was why Lucas scored his twice!)

Skrtle going all Suarez get posted yet? :D

https://twitter.com/LFCFansCorner/status/692262022076108801

Good job Sturridge wasn't beside him, or he'd be dead.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement