Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 15/16

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Knex. wrote: »
    Skrtle going all Suarez get posted yet? :D

https://twitter.com/LFCFansCorner/status/692262022076108801

Good job Sturridge wasn't beside him, or he'd be dead.

If any of us were business savvy we could make a Sturridge joke of day desk calendar.

I'd buy that for a dollar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Turtyturd wrote: »
    If any of us were business savvy we could make a Sturridge joke of day desk calendar.

TBF, it would probably only work for about 30 days of the year.

But on those 30 days, the jokes would be excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

DrumSteve wrote: »

We could easily get 365 jokes.

April 1st: Sturridge is fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

DrumSteve wrote: »

It would keep falling over and every time you pick it up it would thank god for being able to tell jokes again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

He's going to make a fool of us all when he scores 20 goals between now and full time in the EL final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Colemania

Sky sources reporting we've made an offer for Matip. Take from that what you will.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Colemania wrote: »
    Sky sources reporting we've made an offer for Matip. Take from that what you will.....

The same sky sources that are calling him a defensive midfielder!

I have given up on the Teixeira deal anyway, no chance do I see the club spending £38m (confirmed by Paul Joyce), Shaktar have no interest in lowering their price. Considering we don't have any asset to sell in this window to balance the £38m, it just wont happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

monkey9 wrote: »
    The only reason Gabby has lasted as long as he has at Villa is because he's a local and he supports them. Completely average player, i'm sensing you feel the same.

Ibe is still young and can still make it, but sometimes you just know. You knew Sterling would be a player, but Ibe not so much. The poor lad will end up at Sunderland at some stage.

Slow reply, but yeah I agree 100% regarding Gabby, had the tools just not the brain to use them
    Its generally how Id see Ibe aswell, Sterling was always different he looked like he was going to be massive, I actually think moving to city will make him as he would be under pressure at Liverpool to be well the figurehead way to young

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

We may offer cash to get Matip now instead of a free in the summer I see on twitter.

Odd, Lovern was on the bench last night & Skrtel is closer to returning - Matip in January makes less sense now than it did a week ago if anything

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Some hyperbole from Hughes, Liverpool were "Incredibly fortunate". Still nice headline for Sky Sports to run with pacman.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

D'Agger wrote: »
    Odd, Lovern was on the bench last night & Skrtel is closer to returning - Matip in January makes less sense now than it did a week ago if anything

It's not as if Lovren or Skrtel are watertight, we can't defend at the moment, any new defenders will be welcome!

I actually believe Touré is our best CB, the most consistent. People seem to give him this 'blunder boy' reputation because of the brainfarts two years ago against WBA and Fulham. They both came in close proximity to each other which only heightened the scrutiny on him. But he was magnificent against Real last year and, those 2 incidents aside, I'm struggling to remember too many mistakes from him when he has played. Plus I think he should be captain, he's a leader, he's got the CV to back it up and the experience.

He's more reliable than the other 3 imo (that's not saying much tho :P) and I would have no problem with him starting every game between now and the season's end!

There I said it!!!

rob316 wrote: »
    The same sky sources that are calling him a defensive midfielder!

Matip has played that position so not a lie

Given the injury jinx this season bringing in someone who can play CB and DM is not such a bad idea!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

We are still in 3 cups and a chance even if very slim at top 4 having Sakho, Lovren, Skrtel, Toure, Caulker & Matip would give us plenty of options for the rest of the season.

Also it would blood him into English football for the start of next season.

Bad injury luck this season you would hope with 6 CB's till the end of the season we wouldn't get caught short again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Matip has played that position so not a lie

Given the injury jinx this season bringing in someone who can play CB and DM is not such a bad idea!

Makes sense so lucas has been putrid for a while bar the United game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

GiftofGab wrote: »

I can lipread, he said:

"I knew you were shíte ya poxbottle but I didn't realise you were that shíte!!!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,660 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I honestly think if "Meh" hadn't got injured he would be the starting striker week in week out under Klopp not just because of his work rate but he can be the fox in the box type forward we are crying out for.

Any return date for ings , will he make the last few games by any chance ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Turtyturd wrote: »

"There are 365 days in a year. Today is Wednesday. Daniel Sturridge is unavailable. As he is for each one of the other 364 days."

Surprised nobody has bought the domain, issturridgefityet.com

There are 365 days in a year. Today is Wednesday. Daniel Sturridge is unavailable. As he is for each one of the other 364 days.

But this is a Leap Year so there is a chance he may......nah theres not really.

cjmc wrote: »
    Any return date for ings , will he make the last few games by any chance ?

I doubt it to be honest I'd say he and Gomez will be back for preseason all going well with their recovery's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

He's going to make a fool of us all when he scores 20 goals between now and full time in the EL final.

He's not Victor Moses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

kfallon wrote: »
    I can lipread, he said:

"I knew you were shíte ya poxbottle but I didn't realise you were that shíte!!!"

Johnson tracking back there thinking "thank f*ck thats not me"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Solid points on Matip - particularly when we're in 3 cup comps still....there's only one game left in one though :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Nice move for Matip early.

Im assuming Texeira is too rich for our blood in January?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

We are still in 3 cups and a chance even if very slim at top 4 having Sakho, Lovren, Skrtel, Toure, Caulker & Matip would give us plenty of options for the rest of the season.

Also it would blood him into English football for the start of next season.

Bad injury luck this season you would hope with 6 CB's till the end of the season we wouldn't get caught short again.

More of a long term move.

Next year - Caulker and Toure will almost certainly move on. Ilori probably doesnt have much of a future. Sahko & Lovren will more than likely stay, I do wonder about Skrtel. Not sure if Klopp fancies him.

Makes sense to me, especially if it avoids a bidding war in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Nice move for Matip early.

Im assuming Texeira is too rich for our blood in January?

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭JB81

MD1990 wrote: »
    He is 20 ffs. Has alot of raw ability to work with. I think under Klopp he can improve alot. Be best used as an impact sub atm but way too early to complete write him off.

What raw ability has he apart from pace? What ability has he shown consistently? Beating his man, sometimes but not consistently. Passing, no. Shooting, no. Final ball, hell no.
    In my opinion even at his age he should have shown at least some promise in these areas to be a top level winger / forward ( see sterling, mcmanaman for example ).
    Don't get me wrong he will have a decent career but with a team like Sunderland, Swansea or the like, but not with a team challenging at the upper end of English/European football, where I hope Liverpool will some day be again, starting with a League Cup final! Yeee haaaaa..

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

rob316 wrote: »
    Makes sense so lucas has been putrid for a while bar the United game.

No he hasn't. I thought he was our best midfielder last night for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

NukaCola wrote: »
    Well he's played similar minutes and appearances as Firmino.

Is this since Klopp came in or since the start of the year?

Since Klopp came in I can't really remember Firmino missing a game(bar the FA Cup games recently) so I would have thought he'd have a lot more minutes than Benteke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Decent pun potential in that new signing

"Did ya ride her??"

"No, I only gave her Matip....."

I'll see myself out :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Barrett saying no movement in Teixeira deal. Still a big difference between Liverpool's offer and Shaktar's valuation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I reckon we will make a take it or leave it bid for tex. Cant see it happening though

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭JB81

garra wrote: »
    It will not be up to us to come out and attack Stoke by over-loading on the flanks, the onus will be on Stoke to equalize and go from there. This being the case I think we could do with Ibe's pace to enhance our counter-attacking possibilities. I agree with you that he has been muck, but he has also had good games too.. I reckon we should give him a go.
    Will be interesting to see if we can control the game with possession if we do have that lead in the second half. It's not something we have done well thus far.

When I said about our style of play with Lallana and Firmino ( as opposed to Benteke ) not suiting Stoke defending deep, I meant it in the instance if they did score first.
    I was right to a certain extent, in that we rarely threatened them really.
    Benteke and Ibe coming on added really nothing to us either.
    My thoughts on last night:

Mig - Showed some authority in the penalty area that has been missing, couple of good pen saves. Overall steady and an improvement. My heart still in my mouth every time he came for a ball.

Flanagan - Tired near the end, but should be happy with his performance given his lengthy lay off. A good addition to the squad for the rest of the year. His passion is great to see.

Moreno - Headless really, liability, good enough in the build up play going forward but no final ball. Should be banned from set pieces.

Sakho - Good performance, some great last ditch tackles. Still question marks over commanding the area and being a leader, but overall good.

Toure - Steady and efficient under pressure, good performance.

Lucas - looked very tired, done ok, but seemed to be in the wrong position a lot of the time.

Can - Plenty of effort, but again looked tired, likes to get forward but like others end product is poor.

Henderson - Nothing special, plenty of running around, final ball / shooting poor. But he can and has been better so hoping for an improvement. Captain material, i'm not sure??

Milner - Plenty of effort, few good corners, nothing special. Got frustrating near the end when Benteke was on and he would go up the wing and instead of trying to cross turned back on to his left, and eventually passed it back to Flanagan or square.

Lallana - Again plenty of effort. Klopp seems to like him. He done ok. Nothing special.

Firmino - Good performance, just lacked that quality from his colleagues to get a chance or two on goal. Good pressing and hold up play at times. Can be happy with his performance. Hoping Coutinho and him hit it off.

Allen - Thought he should have started, think he will start against WEst Ham, done very well. Deserves a bit of a run I think.

Ibe - Said it before the game, I don't have much faith in him and he didn't let me down, poor final ball and decision making.

Benteke - Done ok in general play, held it up well, but again not in the box enough where we want him. However can't blame him for others not being able to cross, or deciding not to cross the times he is in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

5starpool wrote: »
    No he hasn't. I thought he was our best midfielder last night for example.
    Yeah, I thought he was solid if unspectacular. He played well when he moved back to CB as well.

One thing from last night was the pressing by the front 6 has improved from what we were getting a lot lately. The switch overs of responsibility when players were going to press the player in possession was done well, Moreno excepted.

Good to be in a final again, I don't know what match Hughes was watching last night but if he watched the match his team was playing in, he might have done something to alter the result:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

5th game in 13 days against West Ham on Saturday. No wonder if the players look tired.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

NukaCola wrote: »
    Well he's played similar minutes and appearances as Firmino and has scored 2 goals more than him so not all that limited in playing time. Not crazy impressive seeing as Firmino doesn't play CF in every game he plays.

For the money spent he just doesn't contribute enough going forward.

Fair enough they've played the same amount of time but I think Benteke needs to get a run of games where he starts games and not half an hour here and there when we're chasing them.
    Benteke has scored in 6 games in the league this season despite only playing the full 90 mins on 9 occasions. Give him a run. Get the likes of milner,lallana, ibe etc to get their heads up and actually look for him in the box rather than crossing for the sake of crossing. Pick him out. Dont just lob it into the 6 yard box and wonder where he is. If he pulls to the edge of the box (like he did when he got the winner against leicester) then look for the pull back if its on. We have this thing on repeat where we put crosses in the box and expect him to be whenever the ball lands. Its inane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Lallana has the biggest effect on win rate, 50% wins when he starts and 22.2% when he doesn't.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/12122359/Premier-League-key-men-team-by-team-guide.html?frame=3557196

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Lallana has the biggest effect on win rate, 50% wins when he starts and 22.2% when he doesn't.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/12122359/Premier-League-key-men-team-by-team-guide.html?frame=3557196

He can look so good at times when he moves the ball quickly but when he starts trying to take on the same player he just skinned there's no-one more frustrating.

Kolo is about 75% win rate when he starts or something crazy

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

5th game in 13 days against West Ham on Saturday. No wonder if the players look tired.

When we play Leicester we'll have played 2 games since their last one, and extra time in one of them.

I have no problem with some sensible selection changes for Saturday (include Allen, Ibe, Tex, Smith, Lovren) but I don't want an entire new team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Fair enough they've played the same amount of time but I think Benteke needs to get a run of games where he starts games and not half an hour here and there when we're chasing them.
    Benteke has scored in 6 games in the league this season despite only playing the full 90 mins on 9 occasions. Give him a run. Get the likes of milner,lallana, ibe etc to get their heads up and actually look for him in the box rather than crossing for the sake of crossing. Pick him out. Dont just lob it into the 6 yard box and wonder where he is. If he pulls to the edge of the box (like he did when he got the winner against leicester) then look for the pull back if its on. We have this thing on repeat where we put crosses in the box and expect him to be whenever the ball lands. Its inane.

I think Firmino offers more, he's more involved in the buildup play, players dont have to go looking for him, he's making the clever runs getting himself in good positions beating defenders himself while also tracking back.......Benteke does none of those things, he needs to be spoon fed everything.

Also to add Firmino only played the full 90 mins 5 times this season in the league scoring 5 goals, it may be that Benteke needs a run of games but why bother when Firmino suits us better?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I'm always suspicious of those sorts of stats, particularly when it's in the context of a squad rotating to the extent we have been under Klopp. Correalation /= Causation.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Techniques07

https://twitter.com/AnfieldHQ/status/692372867519004672

EXCLUSIVE: Alex Teixeira tells us it would be an 'honour' to wear the Liverpool shirt. Watch the full interview at 4pm only Anfield HQ.#lfc

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

5starpool wrote: »
    When we play Leicester we'll have played 2 games since their last one, and extra time in one of them.

I have no problem with some sensible selection changes for Saturday (include Allen, Ibe, Tex, Smith, Lovren) but I don't want an entire new team.
    We have much more of a chance of winning the fa cup then getting top 4. I'd prefer to win Saturday rather than Tuesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

"There are 365 days in a year. Today is Wednesday. Daniel Sturridge is unavailable. As he is for each one of the other 364 days."

Surprised nobody has bought the domain, issturridgefityet.com

I'd punt him. As good as he can be, he doesn't want to play for the club so better off cutting losses on him.

Unfortunately I think it will be near impossible to replace Sturridge. Arsenal, United and Chelsea all need a good striker, and all will be ahead of Liverpool in the pecking order to sign one, if one becomes available

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

https://twitter.com/AnfieldHQ/status/692372867519004672

EXCLUSIVE: Alex Teixeira tells us it would be an 'honour' to wear the Liverpool shirt. Watch the full interview at 4pm only Anfield HQ.#lfc

He'll probably end up at Spurs!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Re: Teixeira We've played this game before. We know how it ends.

Listening to Tim Vickery today on the Teixeira deal he thinks it won't get done till the summer unless a club is prepared to match Shakhtar's asking price right now.

Got to love the Yanks getting straight to the point with the interview no beating around the bush.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement