Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 15/16

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I've just been posting twice. I like the double thanks.

It's fcuking hard to do it on purpose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Not the case - if the League Cup winner has already qualified for Europe through the league then the slot reverts to the next highest league position.

It is only the FA Cup runner up that goes straight into the Europa League.

No the F.A cup runners up don't get it either. Villa weren't in Europe this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I hope Flanagan two foots Sterling at Wembley

https://twitter.com/Sennesation/status/692470108661420033

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

No the F.A cup runners up don't get it either. Villa weren't in Europe this season.

Yep, new rule as of last season.

I don't drop in to this thread very often anymore and very rarely post but pretty sad to see people having a go at Raheem and saying the same things others were saying about him when he was a red.

It's lazy and cringey. Especially the stuff about how many kids he has. I understand football can be tribal but there are levels that reach embarrassing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

but where West Ham think they're going to pull 20,000 extra fans from is beyond me.

A mate of mine is a Hammer and tells me there is a 10 year+ waiting list for season tickets, I think he said there are over 15,000 people waiting on a season ticket.

Regards Man City I read earlier today that they got Augero to record a Youtube video begging fans to show up tonight. They offered tickets at £5 and took out full page ads in the Manchester papers advertising the offer. Didn't seem to work for them tonight though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,122 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I don't drop in to this thread very often anymore and very rarely post but pretty sad to see people having a go at Raheem and saying the same things others were saying about him when he was a red.

It's lazy and cringey. Especially the stuff about how many kids he has. I understand football can be tribal but there are levels that reach embarrassing.

He's hardly reading boards, not with his cool hair in his eyes anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Check out his Twitter feed. I didn't understand why he was so disliked until I saw him slagging off Liverpool fans on Twitter. You'll always have fans trying to wind you up on Twitter. Vast majority of footballers ignore it but Sterling though took the bait and responded. He has himself to blame for much of it, he should just learn to keep his mouth shut. I didn't have a problem with him moving on from Liverpool but over the last while I just think he has shown a level of disrespect for the club and fans who helped get him to where he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Well if you don't drop in often you shouldn't assume that when you do whatever few pages you read are representative of the whole thread. Apart from one or two comments here and there nobody is talking about Sterling on this thread apart from the odd bad joke from people trying to be funny. Before today I can't think of the last time he was mentioned, of course he gets mentioned today. So don't stress yourself about it.

• Advertisement

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Check out his Twitter feed. I didn't understand why he was so disliked until I saw him slagging off Liverpool fans on Twitter. You'll always have fans trying to wind you up on Twitter. Vast majority of footballers ignore it but Sterling though took the bait and responded. He has himself to blame for much of it, he should just learn to keep his mouth shut.

I'm not familiar with any twitter interactions so I can't comment but in my life if somebody has a go at me I am entitled to have a go back. Doesn't matter what my job is.

I just think it's bizarre (what people say about him) but maybe that's what age is doing to me.

mormank wrote: »
    Well if you don't drop in often you shouldn't assume that when you do whatever few pages you read are representative of the whole thread. Apart from one or two comments here and there nobody is talking about Sterling on this thread apart from the odd bad joke from people trying to be funny. Before today I can't think of the last time he was mentioned, of course he gets mentioned today. So don't stress yourself about it.

I'm not remotely stressed about it. I was just pointing out I thought it was pretty sad. I also doubt it's representative of the entire thread so that's why I didn't say it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

When was last time we scored from a free kick.
    We always had a free kick expert in our team
    I can't recall last goal we scored from a free kick
    Sad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

I've come down from the joy of reaching the final and it has to be said that was a dire performance the other night, Stoke were just as bad in fairness it's not like we were played off the park but it was just an abject performance.
    The defence were fine I guess, the goal was offside in fairness but I've lost hope on Moreno at this stage he just looks pretty clueless defending and despite his pace going forward his final ball and crossing is brutal. It can't be long before smith comes in or someone else vets shoehorned into left back?
    Midfield, christ! Henderson looks way off it since his injury and is trying to hard to be gerrard, can needed a rest about a month ago but is still going. Lucas was grand, I particularly enjoyed a few of his snide tackles.
    Lallana and Milner we're nothing special and firmino was ok but looks like he could remain a frustrating player for another while yet.
    My biggest gripe with the current team is that can/hendo/lallana and Milner are all too alike players, hard grafters but at this current moment lack any real quality, all 4 on the pitch at the same time holds us back I feel (granted there is injuries in positions that Milner and lallana are playing at the moment). I was very surprised Allen did not start.
    I can't really see much more changing for the rest of the season until klopp gets a transfer window and a pre season under the players.

West Ham is a chance for some redemption (cliché alert) for klopp. They beat us with the most basic tactics last time and I'm sure klopp will want to remedy this, caulker to come in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I'm always suspicious of those sorts of stats, particularly when it's in the context of a squad rotating to the extent we have been under Klopp. Correalation /= Causation.

I've been a big critic of Lallana over the last month or 2 but he does press a lot, if sometimes like a headless chicken. Him and Firmino can be effective in that regard so I'd say there is some truth in that stat.

The problem is the lack of creativity from him that we all see. Unless there is a big improvement in that regard, Klopp can buy upgrades like Texeira and he could be gone in the Summer, definitely the season after.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Even when Sterling was with us it was a running thing in here to mention his kid(s).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

all of them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Linked with nolito this morning for £13m. Not exactly prolific but he is having a very good season so far. Be a decent stop gap considering his age.

all of them?

No, not Tito, no one ever made fun of Tito.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Daddy's home. So kids wha...

Slagging off Raheem Sterling. I'm so disappointed in all of you...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

its very multiple childlike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

brevity wrote: »

That PASS :eek:

And the goal!! :eek::eek:

Play them both on Saturday Jurgen!

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/transfer-window/liverpool-in-shock-move-for-chelsea-defender-gary-cahill-34404068.html

Gary Cahill and Nolito on the radar according to the Indo (they tend to rip from the Telegraph or Talksport).

I called Cahill a few weeks ago - at 30, he wouldn't be in it for the long haul but could be worth a punt a decent price. Good defender, experienced and organised - attributes we lack right now!

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/transfer-window/liverpool-in-shock-move-for-chelsea-defender-gary-cahill-34404068.html

Gary Cahill and Nolito on the radar according to the Indo (they tend to rip from the Telegraph or Talksport).

I called Cahill a few weeks ago - at 30, he wouldn't be in it for the long haul but could be worth a punt a decent price. Good defender, experienced and organised - attributes we lack right now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Cahill would improve us. He's played his part in some gritty winning sides too, something we need more of in the squad.

I'm very annoyed Pato ended up at Chelsea tbh. Hard to watch Tuesday night and say with a straight face that we don't need a player like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

When was last time we scored from a free kick.
    We always had a free kick expert in our team
    I can't recall last goal we scored from a free kick
    Sad

Around the same we last scored from a corner...

When Gerrard left.

Ings scored one from a corner against and there was one recently when we took a short corner, can't think of it.

You'd think we'd just copy the ones that we let in!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Ings scored one from a corner against Everton and there was one recently when we took a short corner, can't think of it.

You'd think we'd just copy the ones that we let in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

That Raheem Tweet about the Blue Moon was made up apparently, a shop....

Didn't stop me and 50k Liverpool fans posting it the day of the Man City rout...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭jem

was thinking we should go for cahil as soon as it came out that he was unhappy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Big move up for Cahill too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Knex. wrote: »
    Big move up for Cahill too.

I could see him coming to us, if they would sell to us that is. Like Milner, would be pretty certain of his game, still on v. good money, and challenging for trophies...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Cahill I wouldn't want. On the decline & not much better than our current CBs. Definitly rate Sakho a better CB than him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭slingerz

MD1990 wrote: »
    Cahill I wouldn't want. On the decline & not much better than our current CBs. Definitly rate Sakho a better CB than him.

Cahill is better than all of our CB's

Cahill and Matip could be a very good partnership

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

klose wrote: »
    I've come down from the joy of reaching the final and it has to be said that was a dire performance the other night, Stoke were just as bad in fairness it's not like we were played off the park but it was just an abject performance.
    The defence were fine I guess, the goal was offside in fairness but I've lost hope on Moreno at this stage he just looks pretty clueless defending and despite his pace going forward his final ball and crossing is brutal. It can't be long before smith comes in or someone else vets shoehorned into left back?
    Midfield, christ! Henderson looks way off it since his injury and is trying to hard to be gerrard, can needed a rest about a month ago but is still going. Lucas was grand, I particularly enjoyed a few of his snide tackles.
    Lallana and Milner we're nothing special and firmino was ok but looks like he could remain a frustrating player for another while yet.
    My biggest gripe with the current team is that can/hendo/lallana and Milner are all too alike players, hard grafters but at this current moment lack any real quality, all 4 on the pitch at the same time holds us back I feel (granted there is injuries in positions that Milner and lallana are playing at the moment). I was very surprised Allen did not start.
    I can't really see much more changing for the rest of the season until klopp gets a transfer window and a pre season under the players.

West Ham is a chance for some redemption (cliché alert) for klopp. They beat us with the most basic tactics last time and I'm sure klopp will want to remedy this, caulker to come in?

Isn't that the funny thing about football, Moreno who a few months ago was one of our best attacking options is now considered a crap defender cos presumably (And i say presumably cos seriously, if you are Klopp and you do NOT WANT Moreno to play basically as an attacking wingback then why would you keep starting him in the team week after week and NOT completely bollock him out of it for advancing from his position at will - this is something that is coached into players - attack at such a time defend at such a time) he goes forward with every notion of his play.

Then Allen! Football is always amuses me when a player who is either out injured or cup tied etc stock rises because he does NOT play. Reminds me of Utd when hammered in CL a few years back claiming that if Darren Fletcher was playing it'd been a different game??!! Allen was confined to the scrapheap a few weeks ago but now he looks our freshest midfielder.

Klopp is not without blame as well lads - i'm sure i'll be hammered for saying it - but he has yet to get anything out of Jordan Ibe, Moreno still looks like he is playing his own style of kamakazee defending without worry, our midfield was as boring and lacking creativity as much as it was in the end of the Brendan era! We still look unbelievably dodgy with every aerial attack that comes into our box. We still blame individual players but seriously, would anyone hold their hand up and say Tony Pulis would not get our back 4 and keeper defending crosses/corners/set pieces better? Cos lads Jonas Olsson can defend a ****ing setpiece like his life depends on it! Basic defending.

As for Benteke, we are basically so far back in the premier league that even the most optimistic of you would admit the league is a dead duck - how about our manager adapts a little to the 35m striker and plays a few crosses into the box, demands he gets into a central role, and plays to his strengths for a few games? Sure whats the bloody harm. Keep the midfield 5 and Firminio (Who also must be at breaking point) for the cups where we can win something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Teixeria's not gonna happen is it? :(

Tusky wrote: »

Highly rated player who openly wants to join the club?

Of course it isn't.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-fc-news-transfer-rumours-10796888

Watford manager declares interest in Jerome Sinclair.

Anyone want to bet that he moves to Grenada in the summer and then back to Watford after 6 months? They avoid a big tribunal fee AND get their man.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-fc-news-transfer-rumours-10796888

Watford manager declares interest in Jerome Sinclair.

Anyone want to bet that he moves to Grenada in the summer and then back to Watford after 6 months? They avoid a big tribunal fee AND get their man.

• Advertisement

Tusky wrote: »

Unlikely. If we don't get him this window, the only way we'll get him in the summer is if he is utter rubbish between now and then, which wouldn't be great either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The gap between the two clubs is the fee paid to Liverpool for one premier league game on BT/SKY.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

5starpool wrote: »
    Unlikely. If we don't get him this window, the only way we'll get him in the summer is if he is utter rubbish between now and then, which wouldn't be great either.

Shaktar's owner isnt pressed for money so he doesnt care about holding out for more money.

Personally im a bit disappointed we didnt get him, i admire us not paying over the odds again but it still smacks of tight purse strings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The gap between the two clubs is the fee paid to Liverpool for one premier league game on BT/SKY.

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Isn't that the funny thing about football, Moreno who a few months ago was one of our best attacking options is now considered a crap defender cos presumably (And i say presumably cos seriously, if you are Klopp and you do NOT WANT Moreno to play basically as an attacking wingback then why would you keep starting him in the team week after week and NOT completely bollock him out of it for advancing from his position at will - this is something that is coached into players - attack at such a time defend at such a time) he goes forward with every notion of his play.

Then Allen! Football is always amuses me when a player who is either out injured or cup tied etc stock rises because he does NOT play. Reminds me of Utd when hammered in CL a few years back claiming that if Darren Fletcher was playing it'd been a different game??!! Allen was confined to the scrapheap a few weeks ago but now he looks our freshest midfielder.

Klopp is not without blame as well lads - i'm sure i'll be hammered for saying it - but he has yet to get anything out of Jordan Ibe, Moreno still looks like he is playing his own style of kamakazee defending without worry, our midfield was as boring and lacking creativity as much as it was in the end of the Brendan era! We still look unbelievably dodgy with every aerial attack that comes into our box. We still blame individual players but seriously, would anyone hold their hand up and say Tony Pulis would not get our back 4 and keeper defending crosses/corners/set pieces better? Cos lads Jonas Olsson can defend a ****ing setpiece like his life depends on it! Basic defending.

As for Benteke, we are basically so far back in the premier league that even the most optimistic of you would admit the league is a dead duck - how about our manager adapts a little to the 35m striker and plays a few crosses into the box, demands he gets into a central role, and plays to his strengths for a few games? Sure whats the bloody harm. Keep the midfield 5 and Firminio (Who also must be at breaking point) for the cups where we can win something.

I don't remember anyone on here suggesting Moreno was our best attacking option at any stage of his LFC career so far and to be honest if you think he is then we're in worse shape that i thought. He starts every week because he has no competition for his place, Smith has only come back to the club after being released in the summer and for whatever reason Klopp does'nt appear to rate him, if it were me i'd start Smith over Moreno.

Allen warrents a starting place on merit, the performances he has put in when given game time in the last couple of months has been superb.

Your next point regarding Klopp i'd mostly agree with, he has yet to get the best out of players but i'm confident he will.(Moreno got a good bolloking from Klopp Vs Stoke someone put up a vine of it in the last few pages)

As for Benteke, who do you suggest puts in the crosses for him? Smith aside we have absolutely noone capable of putting decent quality balls in the box, nobody. Besides, his movement is that bad IMO it's not worth while changing the entire team to suit one player, one player that probably won't be playing for the club in a few months time.

I really doubt that. Here is the income money from last season.

cq5dam.thumbnail.490.338.margin.png

The facility fees bit is the only one that is dependent on your games being broadcast, and the only variable, and that is worth less than 1m per game to a club. You are looking at the figures wrong I'd imagine. Even on the most liberal interpretation of your intent, Liverpool were on TV 25 times last season, and earned 92.7m for the season (all parts of the domestic/international TV deal plus prize money) which is about 3.7m per game. By the same metric though, Burnley earned 6.5m per game, so you can see why it is a very flawed metric.

I think we are more than 3.7m out in terms of agreeing a fee anyhow, aren't we?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I see we are linked to a young Polish midfielder today anyone know anything about him he plays for Empoli.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

5starpool wrote: »
    I really doubt that. Here is the income money from last season.

cq5dam.thumbnail.490.338.margin.png

The facility fees bit is the only one that is dependent on your games being broadcast, and the only variable, and that is worth less than 1m per game to a club. You are looking at the figures wrong I'd imagine. Even on the most liberal interpretation of your intent, Liverpool were on TV 25 times last season, and earned 92.7m for the season (all parts of the domestic/international TV deal plus prize money) which is about 3.7m per game. By the same metric though, Burnley earned 6.5m per game, so you can see why it is a very flawed metric.

I think we are more than 3.7m out in terms of agreeing a fee anyhow, aren't we?

This is what I was looking at (the new deal kicks in this summer)

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-31379128

Super Sunday will cost Sky the guts of £20m for both games wow that's a lot of subscriptions needed to cover those costs not even taking into account Thierry Henry's wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Hoki

I see we are linked to a young Polish midfielder today anyone know anything about him he plays for Empoli.

Maybe start by telling us who it is or is this a guess the Polish guy game , I hate those games - I always lose because of spelling errors.

Hoki wrote: »
    Maybe start by telling us who it is or is this a guess the Polish guy game , I hate those games - I always lose because of spelling errors.

There is my issue right there I am on my phone and I'd butcher the name with auto spell attacking midfielder Peter something.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement