Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 15/16

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

I don't remember anyone on here suggesting Moreno was our best attacking option at any stage of his LFC career so far and to be honest if you think he is then we're in worse shape that i thought. He starts every week because he has no competition for his place, Smith has only come back to the club after being released in the summer and for whatever reason Klopp does'nt appear to rate him, if it were me i'd start Smith over Moreno.

Allen warrents a starting place on merit, the performances he has put in when given game time in the last couple of months has been superb.

Your next point regarding Klopp i'd mostly agree with, he has yet to get the best out of players but i'm confident he will.(Moreno got a good bolloking from Klopp Vs Stoke someone put up a vine of it in the last few pages)

As for Benteke, who do you suggest puts in the crosses for him? Smith aside we have absolutely noone capable of putting decent quality balls in the box, nobody. Besides, his movement is that bad IMO it's not worth while changing the entire team to suit one player, one player that probably won't be playing for the club in a few months time.

Moreno/Clyne were at one stage our only attacking threat as they were deployed so wide and were doing a decent job at it. Not so much our best attacking threat, but at times our only decent option going forward. Moreno needs to be coached better than he currently is. It worries me that we allow him to play the way he does. I quite like Moreno and he can be better defencively. Either he is or is not following orders, you decide. I'd be dissapointed one way or the other in Klopp regardless.

As for Benteke, all this bollox about his movement - Alan Shearer poor "analysis" rubbish! so since he came to Liverpool he has not been able to move now? He forgot how to move? Did he not move for Villa/Belgium? what a complete load of crap. Now everyone is all of a sudden jumping on it. We bought a 35m striker to play as our attacing fulcrum. We then change managers, granted with a different philosophy - he prefers runners to press high. I get that, but guess what, Origi/Ings are both crocked and we rely then on a number 9 to lead our line which has worked once v City away.

What do you think they work on in training? Does Benteke "move" correctly then? Do they just say "Ah sure nobody in our group of highly paid professional footballers can cross a ball" ... how exactly do they use Benteke even at a training match? Come off of it. Milner is an excellent crosser of the ball and if Ibe/Moreno/Clyne/Hendo/Can cannot cross a ball they are playing the wrong game.

We play down the flanks well enough then cut inside and try to play into the box to feet. How does Klopp expect that this will work for Benteke? Or even Firminio? Tuesday night we were so predictable it was cruel to call it football.

Last time we played West Ham they delivered 2 accurate crosses into the box, scored both times. Find the proper angle and feed the striker. West Ham aren't exactly renouned for their crossing prowess are they? Can we not do that for our 35m striker? Even half the time?

... i'm not having it. If Klopp thinks that Benteke has no movement then work on it in training. Not try turn him into a sprinter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

There is my issue right there I am on my phone and I'd butcher the name with auto spell attacking midfielder Peter something.

As long as you add three z's or an owski...

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

This is what I was looking at (the new deal kicks in this summer)

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-31379128

Less than a third of that though gets paid to clubs who actually feature in specific games. I'm probably nitpicking, but still.

Personally if we signed him I'd hope he was great but I don't know much about him at all to know if we should for over 35m for him. I do know we need something though. Can we swap Benteke for him? I'm sure he'd love to live in Ukraine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

We usually get about 90/100 million in TV money, it will increase by about 70% so that's a lot more money to play with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-fc-transfers-alex-teixeiras-10803775

The latest on the Teixeira deal from the Liverpool Echo.

In short, no update.

He wants to come, Shakhtar are willing to sell, but want a fair price which LFC think is too high for an uncapped 26 year old.

I'll be stunned if this goes through tbh.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-fc-transfers-alex-teixeiras-10803775

The latest on the Teixeira deal from the Liverpool Echo.

In short, no update.

He wants to come, Shakhtar are willing to sell, but want a fair price which LFC think is too high for an uncapped 26 year old.

I'll be stunned if this goes through tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Its dead, why bother turning up to the girls house with nothing more than a box of KFC when you know she won't dance for anything less than a posh meal out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Its dead, why bother turning up to the girls house with nothing more than a box of chocolate when you know she won't dance for anything less than a posh meal out?

Blackmail usually works too tbf.

rob316 wrote: »
    We usually get about 90/100 million in TV money, it will increase by about 70% so that's a lot more money to play with.

We won't be seeing any of the extra though for another 18 months pretty much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Its dead, why bother turning up to the girls house with nothing more than a box of KFC when you know she won't dance for anything less than a posh meal out?

I think I get what you're saying...............we need to convince Teixiera to sniff the damp rag we've just pulled out of our coat pocket

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Wembelleee, Wembelleee, we're going to Wem-bell-eee!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Ukrainian clubs are a complete nightmare (for us at least) to deal with, prefer to do our shopping elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭TrueIt

Ukrainian clubs are a complete nightmare (for us at least) to deal with, prefer to do our shopping elsewhere.

Yes, somewhere closer to home, perhaps Southampton?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Well the thread just went weird.

Btw how do you do the blackmail thing?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

K-9 wrote: »

Give me a thanks, or I'm not telling ya.

TrueIt wrote: »
    Yes, somewhere closer to home, perhaps Southampton?

Sadio Mané it is then.

If we give them a blank cheque, maybe we'll get Forster, Van Dijk, Wanyama and Long too. And then we'll finish 9th and wonder what happened...

De Bruyne will miss the League Cup final. So now its just Silva, Aguero, Sterling and Yaya to worry about! He's also set to miss the league match against Liverpool on March 2nd.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/35425113

Six weeks on the sideline, up to 9 games missed between league and cup. He could be a big loss if Silva doesn't pick up his form in the next few weeks. De Bruyne goes absent the odd time, but he has 12 goals and 9 assists in all competitions - that's a phenomenal return. (it may actually be higher for the assists - whoscored.com doesn't have any data entered for his League and FA Cup games in the assists column)

--

And just in case anyone wants a nice summary of Daniel Sturridge's injuries...

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/35413820

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

K-9 wrote:

Give me a tenner or I'm telling everyone you don't know how to blackmail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

K-9 wrote: »

Shut your ****ing face or I'll shut it for you!

Classic blackmail tactic there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

--

And just in case anyone wants a nice summary of Daniel Sturridge's injuries...

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/35413820

On the plus side one of the related articles says he's only out for 10 more days......and that was posted 6 days ago.

Only 4 more days, can't wait. :rolleyes:

Hoping Sturridge is in contention for Saturday would be a big boost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

United fan here but just seen a post on Facebook, yes I know it's a **** source but it was a tweet. They're saying that Sturridge is not injured and is refusing to play due to finding religion. General twist was Liverpool are getting a physciatric assessment.

It sounds far fetched so was just wondering if it's bs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

United fan here but just seen a post on Facebook, yes I know it's a **** source but it was a tweet. They're saying that Sturridge is not injured and is refusing to play due to finding religion. General twist was Liverpool are getting a physciatric assessment.

Yeah, it doesn't shock me tbh.

He's knees must be very holy at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I need to find a god that allows me to pocket £150k a week for sitting on my hole, guilt free.

This could be a great new world religion.

A tweet on facebook as a source?

I seen that yesterday and supposedly Roy Evans was the source. Then I seen something that Roy Evans was disgusted at a lie like that being attributed to him.

It wouldn't surprise me if he's not properly physically injured - Klopp and Hamann have alluded to it.

Sturridge is done at Liverpool anyway. He'll be gone in the summer for pittance. Shame really but no way is Klopp gonna start a new season with someone he can't rely on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,041 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I'd say it's very very safe to say this is bollocks.

He certainly hasn't found religion, he's always been very religious.

Also, I very much doubt that Klopp would be out openly lying about him when asked. He could have shrugged off questions, but has been very clear on Sturridge's situation. Just a few days ago said; "Out of responsibility, we have to do everything we can to give him the physical strength to be able to play Premier League football,"

He's reiterated time and time again that Sturridge has to do solo training first until he's feeling perfect, then has to do 10 days of team training before he'll be considered. Klopp really doesn't seem the sort of guy to be so crystal clear on something, and then have the whole thing revealed to be a massive lie. He gains nothing from that, when he could just as easily say "We're working with Daniel to get him ready" or some such vaguery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I see we are linked to a young Polish midfielder today anyone know anything about him he plays for Empoli.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jan/28/liverpool-empoli-piotr-zielinski

Piotr Zielinski, spellchecks on phones gonna go crazy with that one.

21yo, 11 caps for the senior side, according to the Guardian.

Never heard of him tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

Roy Evan's son dismissed that rumour saying his father said no such thing and it's utter bo11ocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Sounds like one of those blue nose taxi driver stories you'd get when over :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

The Texeira deal was never on. Waste a time. We were never going to pay the money for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

Turtyturd wrote: »
    On the plus side one of the related articles says he's only out for 10 more days......and that was posted 6 days ago.

Only 4 more days, can't wait. :rolleyes:

5 more days til his next injury so ...

SM01 wrote: »
    Roy Evan's son dismissed that rumour saying his father said no such thing and it's utter bo11ocks.

Even aside from the fact that it has to be absolutely rubbish, if it was actually true I'm sure we'd have seen him manifest this guilt by giving away all his money, and we'd have seen/heard plenty about that I'm sure.

When we can't hit a barn door against West ham on Saturday it might convince the committee to pony up for a goalscorer.

i wish we'd take a look at our more recent history and go for high level players in this window. yes, they may cost more than they'll go for in the summer - but in this window we might actually get them.

The price difference is of no benefit to us if we're not actually doing the signing anyway. We should be taking advantage of the fact that there's a lot less competition in signing those players in this window. Unfortunately we're currently in a position where that fact matters a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I'd say it's a case of chancing our arm.

We don't know what the financial situation is.
    Without much in the way of salable assets, that 38m would be the bulk of our total transfer budget for the year.

Still, I'd rather go with Teixeira and change nothing else about the squad. Our biggest problem remains scoring, and no amount of keepers, DMs, CBs or backup full backs are going to fix that.

There's a finite number of goalscorers available and top strikers are like unicorn tears.

I'd much rather give our three strikers another go at settling in for another season and trying to stay fit for a full season - I expect big things of Ings and Origi in particular - if it meant getting a top goalscoring AM in.

Gbear wrote: »

We don't know what the financial situation is.
    Without much in the way of salable assets, that 38m would be the bulk of our total transfer budget for the year.

Still, I'd rather go with Teixeira and change nothing else about the squad. Our biggest problem remains scoring, and no amount of keepers, DMs, CBs or backup full backs are going to fix that.

There's a finite number of goalscorers available and top strikers are like unicorn tears.

I'd much rather give our three strikers another go at settling in for another season and trying to stay fit for a full season - I expect big things of Ings and Origi in particular - if it meant getting a top goalscoring AM in.

Considering we're about to have a massive TV-money windfall in the summer, I doubt money is much of an option. Teixeira seems to solve a very prominent problem - intelligent runs from deeper, raw pace, and clinical finishing. It's the type of person that not only improves us in his position, but also gets more out of Firmino, Coutinho, Henderson, Can and the strikers, by opening up space and providing options.

If we identified him as being worth 30odd million euros, then it seems foolish not to push it that bit further when we know we likely won't get a similar player in the summer, since as you said they're a rarity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Teixeria , a striker or not?
    Is he a Lalana type player?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

No,I've seen him run in straight lines and not just around in circles like a dog chasing his tail.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Considering we're about to have a massive TV-money windfall in the summer, I doubt money is much of an option. Teixeira seems to solve a very prominent problem - intelligent runs from deeper, raw pace, and clinical finishing. It's the type of person that not only improves us in his position, but also gets more out of Firmino, Coutinho, Henderson, Can and the strikers, by opening up space and providing options.

If we identified him as being worth 30odd million euros, then it seems foolish not to push it that bit further when we know we likely won't get a similar player in the summer, since as you said they're a rarity.

It's a lot of money, but to get him we'd need to spend nearly 40% of it on Texeira (35m out of 92m or so). It would be a lot of our budget I'd imagine for the summer too.

We're the only ones who made an offer. Teixeria wants to play for Liverpool, real money is on table. Liverpool holding a lot of cards.
    I expect they will call Liverpool before window shuts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Isn't that Liverpool negotiations 101?

Think we tried to woo Ajax with a £12 million bid for Suarez after he had been a star in the World Cup.

Then almost missed out on him over a couple of million while we were waiting for Torres to agree a deal with Chelsea.

5starpool wrote: »
    It's a lot of money, but to get him we'd need to spend nearly 40% of it on Texeira (35m out of 92m or so). It would be a lot of our budget I'd imagine for the summer too.

One would think we could get Texeira for small money if we move on some players who are not good enough, sell some to balance it out.
    I could name a few !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

We're the only ones who made an offer. Teixeria wants to play for Liverpool, real money is on table. Liverpool holding a lot of cards.
    I expect they will call Liverpool before window shuts.

The guy who owns Shakhtar Donetsk is worth over $6.5 billion if he doesn't get the price he wants he doesn't have to sell.

I think he holds all the cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

25 goals in 21 games suggests he's not

The thing that's annoying me is it's looking like we're not willing to spend £38m on a player that looks tailor made for the way we play but last summer paid £32m for a player everybody knew wouldn't really fit in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

The thing that's annoying me is it's looking like we're not willing to spend £38m on a player that looks tailor made for the way we play but last summer paid £32m for a player everybody knew wouldn't really fit in.

It's a different market when you're desperately trying to hold on to your job than when you're under no pressure and can be more aspirational.

Benteke was a blunt instrument for getting goals. I think he was seen as a safety blanket of sorts - no matter what happens he'll score, and that's largely still been true despite how poorly he's worked out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Teixeira looks a brillant player . Pace,Dribbling,Work rate & brillant finishing. Someone I expected to join Juventus,Chelsea or PSG. Also Shakhtar players have excelled around Europe the last few years (Willian,Costa,Mkhitaryan & Fernandinho). Played up front vs PSG & was superb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

~Rebel~ wrote: »

Building the new stand will cost money though, even if it is an interest free loan. Not sure when FSG expect it paid back.

Hopefully they do pay up, the last time we did it, it hasn't worked out so far, but Firmino looks like he will be worth the money.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

It's a different market when you're desperately trying to hold on to your job than when you're under no pressure and can be more aspirational.

Benteke was a blunt instrument for getting goals. I think he was seen as a safety blanket of sorts - no matter what happens he'll score, and that's largely still been true despite how poorly he's worked out.

Benteke used to go on runs where he scored loads of goals....second half of last season for instance. Maybe he'll find his groove and start tearing it up soon...not holding my breath though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

This Texeira thing is pîssing me off, can't see why we can't cough up and get it done, offload one or two off the bill to help fund him...

Fortunately for Liverpool, I'm not Ian Ayre... :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement